PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking an RPG system.

Con_Brio1993
2011-04-29, 02:23 PM
So I've been running a game using the FFRPG 2d6 system, and things have been going rather well. However, I've noticed that my players really dislike how combat-centric the game is. 2/3rds of my players prefer to avoid combat all the time if possible.

Because of that I think it is time I switched to a system better suited to party tastes. What would you guys recommend as a game more geared to social challenges?

I don't want combat eliminated entirely. I just want the game to treat combat as something done as a last resort when all else has failed.

Wizard_Tom
2011-04-29, 02:37 PM
A lot of it is going to depend on the setting you want to use. That said Legend of the Five Rings might do it for you. Sure most characters are quite capable in combat... but they aren't guaranteed to come out of combat unscathed. Additionally it has a huge emphasis on court intrigue and honor.

Con_Brio1993
2011-04-29, 02:39 PM
A lot of it is going to depend on the setting you want to use. That said Legend of the Five Rings might do it for you. Sure most characters are quite capable in combat... but they aren't guaranteed to come out of combat unscathed. Additionally it has a huge emphasis on court intrigue and honor.

Good point. I guess I'm looking for a fantasy setting. Nothing too modern.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-04-29, 02:50 PM
FATE is generally pretty awesome for supporting role-playing because of the whole fate points mechanic.

Con_Brio1993
2011-04-29, 02:57 PM
FATE is generally pretty awesome for supporting role-playing because of the whole fate points mechanic.

Doesn't the Dresden Files RPG use an updated version of the FATE system? Would you recommend using the Dresden RPG, or another version of the FATE system? If so which one?

Firemage
2011-04-29, 03:58 PM
Yes, Dresden Files RPG uses the Fate core mechanics. Basically there is no pure Fate 3.0 yet. Fate is an open system, so everyone takes the core mechanics, adapt it to their needs and call it a new system.

The funny thing about Fate in general is, that social conflicts work the same as physical conflicts. Basically you use your advantages, opponents disadvantages (aspects, injuries, mental states) and the environment to your benefit and that in an easy and unified manner. That makes it more "role playing" than "roll playing" and overall more interesting.

Personally I like Spirit of the Century best, though physical combat is definately encouraged. It emulates pulp stories, basically Indiana Jones and the like, and is very cinematic in style. Combat is not very deadly, like in the movies. Other Fate systems may be more harsh.

I don't know much about Dresden Files, but what I do know is, that it is basically Fantasy in a modern world with wizards and mystical creatures. If you like that, Dresden Files RPG is probably a good system for you.

I could also recommend Strands of Fate, which is a Fate system that can be used for any setting.

Edit:

It's not the fate points per se, but the aspects that can be powered with them.
Basically aspects are things, concepts or persons that are very important to the character. You spend a fate point to get either a +2 bonus on a roll or a reroll. You get a fate point back, if somehow one of your aspects got you into trouble.
You can also use ("tag") aspects from other persons, but that needs a bit more justification.
Even places and items can have aspects, that can be used in a similar way. And finally maneouvers can be used to generate a temporary aspect. These can be tagged for free once.

Con_Brio1993
2011-04-29, 04:02 PM
Yes, Dresden Files RPG uses the Fate core mechanics. Basically there is no pure Fate 3.0 yet. Fate is an open system, so everyone takes the core mechanics, adapt it to their needs and call it a new system.

The funny thing about Fate in general is, that social conflicts work the same as physical conflicts. Basically you use your advantages, opponents disadvantages (aspects, injuries, mental states) and the environment to your benefit and that in an easy and unified manner. That makes it more "role playing" than "roll playing" and overall more interesting.

I don't know much about Dresden Files, but what I do know is, that it is basically Fantasy in a modern world with wizards and mystical creatures. If you like that, Dresden Files RPG is probably a good system for you.

I could also recommend Strands of Fate, which is a Fate system that can be used for any setting.

That is pretty much the kind of setting I was going for with my original game :smallbiggrin:

And I will check of Strands of Fate. Thanks for the recommendation and clarification.

Croverus
2011-04-29, 04:31 PM
Call of Cthulhu is apretty RP heavy game since combat is a bad thing!

It's pretty investigation heavy and clue finding and whatnot and the way you play the game certainly determines how much combat there is since you can have none or a lot.

dsmiles
2011-04-29, 05:38 PM
Two words:

Mouse Guard

graymachine
2011-04-29, 06:11 PM
Eh, it's hard to direct you to a system that doesn't have a highly developed combat system; perhaps it's our heritage from the original D&D, but I think that when people get together to play pretend resolving fights is the most difficult thing. Off the top of my head, I would say use either the oWoD or nWoD system. They both can be transcribed to a fantasy setting; I've played in games that used the system and have nothing to do with the setting. They both also have some emphasis on non-combat mechanics. That said, I've been in D&D games that had almost no combat in them.

The Rose Dragon
2011-05-02, 11:39 AM
Faery's Tale Deluxe!

It has combat, but it is such an inefficient method of solving things that 90% of the time you're better of talking to animals and getting them to help you fight your battles.

It helps that most of them are bigger than you are.

Kiero
2011-05-02, 12:18 PM
That is pretty much the kind of setting I was going for with my original game :smallbiggrin:

If you already like the Dresden Files setting, and it shares a lot of similarities with your own, you won't go far wrong with DFRPG.

And I will check of Strands of Fate. Thanks for the recommendation and clarification.

You can read a 113-page preview of Strands (http://www.voidstar.me/storage/Strands%20of%20Fate%20Preview.pdf) for free. That should give you a fair idea of whether or not you like what it's done with FATE.

One thing to bear in mind with Strands, it's a generic toolkit, so there's a little assembly required. Insofar as you have to choose which options you want to use to build your game. But it's done in a really easy way that makes that customisation straightforward (even fun).

Terraoblivion
2011-05-02, 12:45 PM
I'd like to second Legend of the Five Rings. It is very definitely fantasy, indeed one of the eight major clans in it are devoted to preventing the demons from overrunning the land and killing everyone. However, it is rather Japanese in its culture and customs and Japanese'ish in terms of religion and metaphysics, so if you prefer ordinary European fantasy it might not be to your taste.

It does have a large focus on social interaction on both mechanical and setting levels, as well as the support in the form of details about customs and social norms needed to properly keep a social focus. At least the latest edition also has remarkably pretty art that helps set the mood and feel of the setting quite a bit. So all in all it would be my recommendation for a system for more socially oriented games.

With some odd focus and unusual choices at character creation and in party composition Exalted can be quite good for social games too, though. It's over the top and extreme, but a game as Dragonblooded dynasts from the Realm can very easily be almost pure intrigue with the occasional duel and assassination attempt being the only combat you find. That would have all the mechanical and fluff for a socially oriented game that you could need. It would be different from the norm, but it would certainly work. It is also about as fantastic as it gets, though not quite standard European fantasy either.

Although, why are people annoyed by combat? A different approach to combat for a game and simply a lower frequency might be enough. I don't know the FFRPG system, but if it has as much combat as D&D, I can understand why they would be tired. However, in that case most systems would be an improvement, even rather combat-oriented ones like Weapons of the Gods or more typical ways of playing Exalted.

obliged_salmon
2011-05-02, 01:57 PM
I always suggest Burning Wheel. It sounds like what you might be looking for here. It has a duel of wits social combat mechanic that might tweak your players' interest, and combat is frequently the last resort, unless your character is really keen on it. Anyway, you'd likely have to tweak some of the lifepaths to work for Final Fantasy, like change the seafaring ones around to deal with airships or whatnot. You'd have to add guns more or less whole hat (there are rules for like, a really crappy old gun in there?) Anyway, there you go.

randomhero00
2011-05-02, 02:08 PM
I'd say try any whitewolf game and focus on social.

edit: particularly vampire and exalted (in that order)

LibraryOgre
2011-05-02, 02:33 PM
I'll trot out my usual "look into d6" line... all of the d6 core books (including fantasy) are free, and you can make characters who are as combat heavy or light as you like.