PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Cavalier without a mount

CheshireCatAW
2011-04-29, 02:34 PM
One of the players in my Pathfinder group has decided that he wants to play a cavalier but would like to trade out the mount feature and subsequent mount-related features for something else. What are some options I might be able to offer him for those?

The Boz
2011-04-29, 02:35 PM
"I'd like to play a Wizard, but I'd trade my spell slots for something cool".

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-29, 02:38 PM
"I'd like to play a barbarian, but I'd trade my rage for something cool."

CheshireCatAW
2011-04-29, 03:07 PM
Haha! Roger, I'll pass on that info.

Zemro
2011-04-29, 03:08 PM
That's not really helping guys.

What sort of character does the player want out of the cavalier class? Aside from the mount there's just really the challenge ability it seems, so by the sounds he wants to be a knight on foot rather then on a mount?

Depending on allowed sources and what he wants it's quite possible that he intended goal can be accomplished with a different class instead of rebuilding the cavalier.

In any case, it'd be good to know what sorts of things he's interested in doing and what makes him want to stick with the cavalier class.

CheshireCatAW
2011-04-29, 03:22 PM
I figured that the suggestion should be for a different class.

It seems to me that he likes being a heavy armored fighter with party buffing abilities. The smite-like ability might also be a draw for him.

I'm not certain that he really cares about the teamwork bonus feats, but they could certainly be a draw for him.

I was considering offering him a class switch to paladin, but I don't know how he could make up the Banner ability through feats.

Person_Man
2011-04-29, 03:31 PM
Do you have a link to the class, or at least a description of the abilities he wants to give up? Have you considered Knight abilities?

CheshireCatAW
2011-04-29, 03:37 PM
Cavalier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier#TOC-Greater-Tactician-Ex-)

He wishes to give up the mount ability and the ones derived from that; Namely abilities that aid him in a charge while mounted.

I had. I'm trying to stay Pathfinder only but it seems that giving him some Knight abilities might be the best idea.

Kilbourne
2011-04-29, 03:40 PM
He may be interested in the Samurai class playtest from Paizo, I believe it's on the d20pfsrd as well.

You trade your scaling mount for other features, and gain some other defensive/offensive proficiencies and abilities.

CheshireCatAW
2011-04-29, 03:56 PM
The samurai playtest seems very close to what he wants to play. Unfortunately "samurai" (the term) would not work very well, but it's extremely easy to just make it another type of cavalier.

Thank you very much for the attention payed to the question and the many solutions offered ^_^

Mojo_Rat
2011-04-29, 04:39 PM
I will echo the samurai play test. it does nor need to be a samurai any leader military theme works.

I'll also add that the cava,ire as is is fine without a mount.

WildPyre
2011-04-29, 06:46 PM
Yeah I'd take the samurai play test and just call it "Dragoon" or something.