PDA

View Full Version : Another AC staking question

pilvento
2011-04-29, 02:36 PM
Yes, just another AC question:

Monk AC bonus + Arcane duelist AC bonus

arcane duelist: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a

Is this posible? my idea is to use ascetic mage feat to make the monk bonus charisma based.

Cog
2011-04-29, 02:47 PM
The Arcane Duelist class feature is Apparent Defense, not AC Bonus. The name of the source is different, and so both features stack, even with Ascetic Mage.

pilvento
2011-04-29, 03:02 PM
The Arcane Duelist class feature is Apparent Defense, not AC Bonus. The name of the source is different, and so both features stack, even with Ascetic Mage.

Good, now I need to figure out how to tell my dm that I found how to add CHA to my AC twice...

Douglas
2011-04-29, 03:11 PM
Only twice? If you really want to there are many more ways than just two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732).

Cog
2011-04-29, 03:12 PM
By pointing out you've lost at least three caster levels to do it, and so you're two entire spell levels behind a vanilla wizard?

pilvento
2011-04-29, 03:33 PM
By pointing out you've lost at least three caster levels to do it, and so you're two entire spell levels behind a vanilla wizard?

True, thats an exelent excuse! :smallbiggrin:

Lateral
2011-04-29, 06:49 PM
Not really. If you're a Monk with levels in Arcane Duelist, you're not really a mage- it only takes 1st level spells, so all you need is a one level dip in... I don't know, Stalwart Battle Sorcerer or something. That way, you're not losing BAB (if you use partial BAB stacking, but it really isn't important) and are getting into it easily and still have Ascetic Mage. You don't actually need to be a mage, nor should you focus on it with a class that doesn't advance casting.

The Monk bonus is also Wis to AC, not Charisma, so it wouldn't really reduce MAD that much. You probably have Ascetic Mage, though.

Cog
2011-04-29, 06:58 PM
You don't actually need to be a mage, nor should you focus on it with a class that doesn't advance casting.
Half BAB too, so it's not much for a martial class either. Arcane Duelist doesn't even look like it'd offer much for a gestalt build.

The Monk bonus is also Wis to AC, not Charisma, so it wouldn't really reduce MAD that much. You probably have Ascetic Mage, though.

my idea is to use ascetic mage feat to make the monk bonus charisma based.
Reading posts helps, eh?

Lateral
2011-04-29, 06:59 PM
Yeah, it's not much for a martial class or a mage. If it had decent BAB, it'd be all right.

That way, you're not losing BAB (if you use partial BAB stacking, but it really isn't important) and are getting into it easily and still have Ascetic Mage.
Ahem. :smallamused: