PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler Build help.

John Cribati
2011-04-29, 04:19 PM
Hey there. I'm in a PBP Game on the forums here, and I've got a bit of an issue. I decided to be the party Trap-sniffer, so I'm basically Rogue1/Swash1. Str 9, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 19.

Thing is, I'm only allowed to multiclass between two base classes and two prestige classes. I'm limited to Completes and the PHB. Any ideas to take advantage of my high mental stats?

Glimbur
2011-04-29, 04:23 PM
Suel Arcanamach is pretty cool. It's in... Complete Arcane? It adds some Gish to your character and 3/4 bab, which is pretty useful.

Cog
2011-04-29, 04:31 PM
Since you've already lost the point of BAB and started in on both classes, Daring Outlaw is pretty straightforward. Works best without PrCing, though, so you aren't doing more with that Wis and Cha than looking serene and pretty - but that might be enough for you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-29, 04:31 PM
Why would you even assign your ability scores like that starting with those class levels (or start with those class levels with ability scores like that)?

Suel Arcanamach into Unseen Seer would probably be the best choice of prestige classes. Maybe go Divine Crusader to get Cha-based divine casting from one domain, such as Trickery.

My advice would be to ask if you can move some ability scores around. Switch it to Str 18, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 17, and get the feat Tactile Trapsmith (or pay 3,000 gp to get it via the Iron Wyrm Vault in Complete Scoundrel without spending a feat on it). Get Daring Outlaw and make your build Rogue 4/ Swashbuckler 16 and call it good.

Taelas
2011-04-29, 05:51 PM
You do not generally dump Int with a Rogue/Swashbuckler build... especially not if you're planning on being a Trapfinder.

I will echo Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 16 with Daring Outlaw, though. Good build.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-04-29, 06:11 PM
You do not generally dump Int with a Rogue/Swashbuckler build... especially not if you're planning on being a Trapfinder.

I will echo Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 16 with Daring Outlaw, though. Good build.

I completely forgot about the Int-to-damage shtick, in that case I'd go Int 17, Cha 9.

Gray Mage
2011-04-29, 06:50 PM
As it was said, the best would probably be Rogue 4/Swash 16 and taking Daring Outlaw feat [Complete Scoundrel] at level 6. I'd also suggest you take the Knowledge Devotion feat [Complete Divine] if possible for the extra damage.

I'd also suggest putting more in con than in str, since it only helps with the damage (the to hit is from dex) and con is generally more usefull.

Rickshaw
2011-04-29, 06:57 PM
however, with high charisma comes the option of going with invisible blade(complete warrior). add up to 5 points of int modifier to AC, and tack on one more feat and you also qualify for master thrower (also in complete warrior). daring outlaw is a must, of course, but at 5th level master thrower you gain access to a trick that lets you make touch attacks with ranged weapons against enemies your size or larger.

touch attacks vs flat footed opponents is usually 10.

its not TOO powerful, but it will definitely make you important on the battlefield. the only problem is that neither prestige class gets open lock on their skill list (though having just checked, my copy of the complete warrior says that Invisible blades get Innuendo as a skill???).

John Cribati
2011-04-29, 07:10 PM
Why would you even assign your ability scores like that starting with those class levels (or start with those class levels with ability scores like that)?

I took the Death-Touched Race (+4 CHA, +2 WIS, -2 CON, Chill Touch 1/day... other stuff I can't remember right now). I just rolled pretty high (18, 17, 17, 15 14, 9) 14 (+2) in WIS for Search/Spot checks (trap sniffer), 18 in INT because since I'm already trap-sniffer, might as well go for Skill-monkey. 17 in DEX 'cause Rogue. That leaves 15, 17 and 9. Couldn't put the 9 in CON because that would likely result in FAIL, so put 1 of the 17(-2)'s in there. STR just seemed like the best place to put it the 9, since after Swashbuckler 3, I wouldn't need it anyway. And might as well find something to put my now incredible CHA to use.

If not for the multiclass rule, I'd have gone for Paladin 2 for CHA to all saves, Battle Dancer 1 and a Monk Dip for extra AC cheese, then back to Rogue for Skills. Sure I'd still end up with a positive CHA if I swapped, but It's not like I'm going for a front-line fighter anyway.

Gray Mage
2011-04-29, 07:22 PM
I took the Death-Touched Race (+4 CHA, +2 WIS, -2 CON, Chill Touch 1/day... other stuff I can't remember right now). I just rolled pretty high (18, 17, 17, 15 14, 9) 14 (+2) in WIS for Search/Spot checks (trap sniffer), 18 in INT because since I'm already trap-sniffer, might as well go for Skill-monkey. 17 in DEX 'cause Rogue. That leaves 15, 17 and 9. Couldn't put the 9 in CON because that would likely result in FAIL, so put 1 of the 17(-2)'s in there. STR just seemed like the best place to put it the 9, since after Swashbuckler 3, I wouldn't need it anyway. And might as well find something to put my now incredible CHA to use.

If not for the multiclass rule, I'd have gone for Paladin 2 for CHA to all saves, Battle Dancer 1 and a Monk Dip for extra AC cheese, then back to Rogue for Skills. Sure I'd still end up with a positive CHA if I swapped, but It's not like I'm going for a front-line fighter anyway.

Well, with a basic Rogue/Swashbuckler build you would get far more mileage of str than cha or even wis, extra damage is always good when doable. Wis is only helpfull for spot/will saves, since search depends on int. So the only reason for a above average wis would be for will, IMO, but that doesn't need a too high number, so you could put a 15 on it.

ffone
2011-04-30, 12:17 PM
Hey there. I'm in a PBP Game on the forums here, and I've got a bit of an issue. I decided to be the party Trap-sniffer, so I'm basically Rogue1/Swash1. Str 9, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 19.

Thing is, I'm only allowed to multiclass between two base classes and two prestige classes. I'm limited to Completes and the PHB. Any ideas to take advantage of my high mental stats?

I second (fourth?) the earlier posters that Daring Outlaw is the way to go if you're already a rogue/swash, and probably Rogue-4 Swashbuckler-16...though you may want to space out those rogue levels a little for skill point allocations; the swash's list is a bit small, considering his 4 + Int SP and Int-based class feature.

I'm assuming you are playing a race with a Cha bonus since you have a 19....but anyway your stats should probably go

Dex > Con > Int > Str > Wis > Cha

Or perhaps Wis > Str if your DM likes Will save effects. Str 9 will noticeably lower your damage at low levels...at higher levels, when you have more sneak attack dice, and more tricks for ensuring attacks are sneak attacks, it matters less.

If you are stuck with that stat array, Str 9 and Cha 19...keep Bluff and Diplomacy maxed and use them a lot outside combat. If you can get your DM to waive the ranged feat requirements for Invisible Blade, then feinting may be a good way to go (via that PrC, NOT via Improved Feint).