PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting Hidden Blades

Doughnut Master
2011-04-29, 05:52 PM
Inspired by the Crossbow Bayonet thread, I took another look at that section of the CS. And I have a question:

Would a hidden sleeve/boot/whatever blade be enhanced with a quality such as Eager? Would not this quality be active the entire time then?

Boci
2011-04-29, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure a hidden weapon would be treated as sheathed.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure a hidden weapon would be treated as sheathed.True. On the same logic though, Eager would allow springing it out as a free action, so it's not totally wasted.

If you just want a platform for Eager/Warning, you could use gauntlets, spiked gauntlets or armour spikes. Less suspicious, true, but still.

Boci
2011-04-29, 05:59 PM
If you just want a platform for Eager/Warning, you could use gauntlets, spiked gauntlets or armour spikes. Less suspicious, true, but still.

I like using a gnome quick razer. You don't need EWP if you aren't going to attack with it.

Doughnut Master
2011-04-29, 05:59 PM
What about the bayonets/bow blades then?

You can wield them with your ranged weapon, so you'd technically have it drawn whenever you draw your bow/crossbow. No?

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:00 PM
I like using a gnome quick razer. You don't need EWP if you aren't going to attack with it.But you'd still need to draw it to benefit from Eager or Warning.

[Edit]:
What about the bayonets/bow blades then?

You can wield them with your ranged weapon, so you'd technically have it drawn whenever you draw your bow/crossbow. No?Yeah, those are fair game.

Boci
2011-04-29, 06:02 PM
But you'd still need to draw it to benefit from Eager or Warning.

You can always have it drawn by default.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:03 PM
You can always have it drawn by default.Of course, but that's even more suspicious than, say, gauntlets, and you might as well use any weapon.

Boci
2011-04-29, 06:06 PM
Of course, but that's even more suspicious than, say, gauntlets,

I'd argue the reverse. If you are in a place where weapons are throwned upon, they would probably ask you to remove spiked armour and possibly even gauntlets, a quick razor can be sheathed and drawn easily.

and you might as well use any weapon.

You can sheeth a GQR instead of dropping it if you need the extra hand.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:11 PM
I'd argue the reverse. If you are in a place where weapons are throwned upon, they would probably ask you to remove spiked armour and possibly even gauntlets, a quick razor can be sheathed and drawn easily."They" wouldn't look for weapons, but ask you to remove your gauntlets? And once they'd removed your weapons, they wouldn't mind you going around with a dagger drawn?

Well, in such a case, an Eager Necklace of Natural Attacks would be even better. Bonus points for working constantly.

Boci
2011-04-29, 06:14 PM
"They" wouldn't look for weapons, but ask you to remove your gauntlets?

There's a difference between a sheathed weapons and gauntlets. One of them isn't quite ready to be used in combat yet.

And once they'd removed your weapons, they wouldn't mind you going around with a dagger drawn?

You'd walk around with it sheathed if there were any guards in sight.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:17 PM
There's a difference between a sheathed weapons and gauntlets. One of them isn't quite ready to be used in combat yet.Someone is going to look at your gauntlets and declare them weapons, yet let the sheathed weapons go as they wish. I have no idea what sort of scenario you're thinking of, honestly.

You'd walk around with it sheathed if there were any guards in sight.And wouldn't get the benefit.

I don't say it's a bad idea, but I honestly don't see much benefit in it.

Curmudgeon
2011-04-29, 06:17 PM
The best way to get eager to help you is if you've got Improved Unarmed Strike and then add eager to a Necklace of Natural Attacks. You'll have the +2 to initiative all the time that way.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:19 PM
The best way to get eager to help you is if you've got Improved Unarmed Strike and then add eager to a Necklace of Natural Attacks. You'll have the +2 to initiative all the time that way.Mentioned the necklace above, but do you really need IUS if you're just using Eager for init boost?

Boci
2011-04-29, 06:20 PM
Someone is going to look at your gauntlets and declare them weapons, yet let the sheathed weapons go as they wish. I have no idea what sort of scenario you're thinking of, honestly.

You cannot think of a scenario where a body guard with a knuckle duster would be frowned on more than a body guard with a holstered gun?

I don't say it's a bad idea, but I honestly don't see much benefit in it.

If the action starts with guards in sight then no, but if the actions starts in between guard patrols then its an efficient option.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:30 PM
You cannot think of a scenario where a body guard with a knuckle duster would be frowned on more than a body guard with a holstered gun?Brass knuckles are a weapon, a gauntlet is part of armour.

If the action starts with guards in sight then no, but if the actions starts in between guard patrols then its an efficient option.So you walk everywhere with a weapon unsheathed, then sheathe it if you spot a patrol and draw it again once they've passed. That's just weird.

Boci
2011-04-29, 06:33 PM
Brass knuckles are a weapon, a gauntlet is part of armour.

That can be used as a weapon. What about custom made kevlar gloves?

So you walk everywhere with a weapon unsheathed, then sheathe it if you spot a patrol and draw it again once they've passed. That's just weird.

Why? Its no wierder than a swordsage dropping child of shadow whenever they are near a lot of people only to activate it again once the party is alone in a city.

Curmudgeon
2011-04-29, 09:01 PM
Mentioned the necklace above, but do you really need IUS if you're just using Eager for init boost?
You do if you want to have your unarmed strike be "wielded" ─ i.e., threaten. We've only got the dictionary definition of "wielded", but the connotation is that you have a wielded weapon ready for use, so a weapon that you don't threaten with isn't wielded. Does that make sense to you?

Greenish
2011-04-29, 09:02 PM
You do if you want to have your unarmed strike be "wielded" ─ i.e., threaten. We've only got the dictionary definition of "wielded", but the connotation is that you have a wielded weapon ready for use, so a weapon that you don't threaten with isn't wielded. Does that make sense to you?Good call. Hadn't thought of that, but it does make sense.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-30, 12:22 AM
This link might be interesting for :smallwink: (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11763.0)

Take note it uses some rules interpretation that definitely won't fly in most tables; but it is a good place to look for ideas