PDA

View Full Version : VoP Halp!

Etrivar
2011-04-29, 10:02 PM
Hullo Playgrounders!

A long while ago I started brewing up a VoP fix. Most of this fix was focused on addressing what is widely viewed as the primary problem with the VoP: utter lack of flexibility. You are given certain benefits at certain levels, and if you don't need them, well...tough.

With this in mind, I began to make a list of abilities that you could choose from at certain levels, thereby allowing you to tailor what you get to your specific needs. But, I stopped shortly after beginning, due to lack of time. However, I have been re-inspired to complete the project by Thurbane's thread on a VoP party.

Only one problem: brewer's-block. I know that I plan to break the abilities up into four tiers, tier 4 being the weakest and available immediately, with tier 3 being available at level 6, tier 2 at level 11, and tier 1 at level 16. I plan on leaving the bonuses and abilities already granted in place, and simply adding this.

So: Please help me make a list. What abilities would you like to see a VoP character be able to choose? What are the abilities provided by magic items that a VoP character so desperately needs? I have a basic list here too which we can add and off of which we can build:

Flight
Class ability augmentation
Boosting a specific skill
Immunity to (exhaustion, negative energy, etc)

I'm also debating creating a similar system for the weapons wielded by VoP characters, working it sorta like a soul-knife so that you can actually have a decent weapon with which to work. any suggestions for exalted-themed weapon abilities would be welcome as well.

P.S. Before someone talks about how you could never make the list complete enough to offset not having magic items, that is the great part about this system! It provides a preexisting structure into which you can simply insert your own abilities for your unique need. You just have to be willing to work with your DM and use your imagination.

EDIT: I figure I'll throw in some of the other components of my fix to let those be judged as well.

First: It is no longer a feat. It is now a trait, the way it should have been in the first place.

Second: You are allowed to use any item required for the basic functionality of your class. This would definitely include spellbooks and holy symbols, and would optionally include things like simple lockpicks for rogues.

Third: you are allowed to possess an item if: A) you do not own it, and do not use it -or- B) you are in the process of distributing your wealth (this was intended to address the fact that a VoP character can get his VoP revoked by having a goblin throw a handful of gold at him. If anyone else has an idea of how to tackle that (other than the entirely-too-reasonable and depressingly-unlikely suggestion of having the DM be mature and not metagame) please share).

PollyOliver
2011-04-29, 10:25 PM
For melee-ers who want to trip, grapple, or bull rush, I think access to size-changing is a must.

For skill-monkeys, limited access to spell effects (invisibility, for example--basically anything a rogue would really want a wand or potion of) are pretty important. The ability to avoid penalties for not having skill tools you're not allowed to own would be nice.

For any non-caster, the ability to swap some of your +x's on your attack/damage enhancements for a limited list of other enchantments would be fantastic.

For everyone that now cannot have healing potions or UMD a wand of lesser vigor, some access to healing would be useful, even if it's only a little bit.

Casters don't really need anything as long as you fix the spell book and holy symbol thing. But if you wanted to make it a closer to comparable option, the ability to store a spell or three for a rainy day, or get another spell slot ala pearl of power, would be useful.

In terms of your tier system, this is just a meta-suggestion, but I personally would still have it lag behind what's available through WBL to some extent, because if you mechanically lose absolutely nothing, there's no reason why every good character wouldn't be an ascetic.

Etrivar
2011-04-29, 11:10 PM
I agree completely with your last statement. VoP should be viable, but not without its challenges.

A wholeness-of-body-esque ability would be good, keyed to charisma, maybe.

10-4 to the size bonus, that makes sense.

Rodger on the spell access for neat tricks.

jvluso
2011-04-30, 12:15 AM
Third: you are allowed to possess an item if: A) you do not own it, and do not use it -or- B) you are in the process of distributing your wealth (this was intended to address the fact that a VoP character can get his VoP revoked by having a goblin throw a handful of gold at him. If anyone else has an idea of how to tackle that (other than the entirely-too-reasonable and depressingly-unlikely suggestion of having the DM be mature and not metagame) please share).

You can say that the VoP character may possess, but not employ, any item with the intent of donating it. Not only would this prevent silly things like the goblins throwing money, but it would allow them to actually have something to donate, rather than being scared of loot and forcing the rest of the party to carry his stuff to be donated for him.

SilverLeaf167
2011-04-30, 12:34 AM
A Warlock might work, too: they get a fairly strong attack without having to use magic weapons, as well as many different magical effects that can be used at will. Those include flight and invisibility, for example.

Hirax
2011-04-30, 01:02 AM
More and better exalted feats would do a lot to make VoP better. Also, flight could start off like the elocator prc ability at first, where you can simply hover a foot above the ground at will, even across water.

Etrivar
2011-04-30, 08:52 PM
I like the Elocater idea.

And a warlock was the VoP character I ever played, and it was a blast.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-30, 08:53 PM
I like the Elocater idea.

And a warlock was the VoP character I ever played, and it was a blast.

Was it an...
:smallcool:
eldritch blast?

Lateral
2011-04-30, 09:22 PM
Was it an...
:smallcool:
eldritch blast?
http://www.angryjerk.net/images/csi_miami_yeah.jpg

That is all. :smallamused: