PDA

View Full Version : Half-Dragons

Rhaegar14
2011-04-29, 10:49 PM
Alright, I came up with a character concept recently that I really want to use in the next campaign I play in unless there's a clear party gap that I need to fill (like nobody-who-can-heal clear).

The base concept is a Bronze Half-Dragon Elf Warblade, but I'm not going to get too deeply into details; this is just to give an idea for what kind of Ability Scores are going to be important and the character's likely approach to combat.

So my question to the community at large is whether or not, solely from a statistical perspective, the Half-Dragon LA is worth what comes with it. I ask only for a look at stats because I'm already in love with the fluff.

kiryoku
2011-04-29, 10:52 PM
i would say yes with the one feat that lets you use your breath weapon every 1d4 rounds instead of 1/day and a couple other feats from race of dragons book.

Cog
2011-04-29, 10:52 PM
So my question to the community at large is whether or not, solely from a statistical perspective, the Half-Dragon LA is worth what comes with it. I ask only for a look at stats because I'm already in love with the fluff.
It's not.

A commonly proposed solution is to take the Dragonborn template from Races of the Dragon and use it to represent half-dragons as well.

Crossblade
2011-04-29, 10:59 PM
Dragon Born and ask your DM to ignore it's fluff or reduce the LA to 2 for Half Dragon and give it wings regardless of size like Pathfinder does.

NineThePuma
2011-04-29, 10:59 PM
If your DM lets you have wings despite being medium, it would be. Barely.

With LA buy-off and some feats to help your power (like the 1d4 cooldown feat), it's much better.

Rhaegar14
2011-04-29, 11:10 PM
Since a lot of people are saying "it depends on feats," I was planning on taking Dragon Wings at 1st level and Improved Dragon Wings at 6th, then Hover and Flyby Attack later down the line. I was debating Dragon Breath because of the Halfy's flat Breath Weapon damage; eventually, the Breath Weapon is going to do minimal damage at best, and then that becomes a wasted feat choice.

Bang!
2011-04-30, 12:58 AM
I'm astounded that anybody would give it a thumbs up.

By the levels that it doesn't completely suck, polymorph any object enters the game and the template loses all redeeming value.

Dragonborn are available on the Wizards website here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1). Slightly modified concept, much better fit into the game. They also won't have to spend 3 levels and 3 feats just to fly.