PDA

View Full Version : Punishing Enemies For Not Attacking You

Elric VIII
2011-04-29, 11:02 PM
Is there some feat or other ability that gives you some bonus if an enemy attacks an adjacent ally or makes enemies want to attack you?

I know the Knight has some good abilities, but I'm hoping for something that can be added to a Cleric tank, so I want to keep my CL pretty much intact.

Sucrose
2011-04-29, 11:07 PM
Well, Martial Study (some Devoted Spirit maneuver) and Martial Stance (Iron Guard's Glare) combine to give you access to some maneuver and a stance that gives all enemies within your reach -4 to attacking your allies.

Alternatively, the Thicket of Blades stance (also Devoted Spirit, accessible for non-initiators only from level 10 on) makes you decidely more sticky, as it makes 5' steps provoke AoOs from you, meaning that once you're next to an enemy, only teleportation can get them out without you getting a swing at them.

Both of these are from Tome of Battle, so if your group doesn't use that, this advice won't be all that useful.

Past that, Knight stuff, and AoO builds, there isn't a whole lot you can do to force enemies to attack you beyond making yourself the most obvious target, either by restricting their choices, or doing enough damage that they target you of their own accord.

If you do decide to use an AoO build, common targets include a reach weapon, Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, possibly Combat Expertise-> Improved Trip, and Robilar's Gambit.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Devoted Spirit is pretty much your best bet. RKV is worth losing some caster advancement.

Elric VIII
2011-04-29, 11:17 PM
Well, Martial Study (some Devoted Spirit maneuver) and Martial Stance (Iron Guard's Glare) combine to give you access to some maneuver and a stance that gives all enemies within your reach -4 to attacking your allies.

Alternatively, the Thicket of Blades stance (also Devoted Spirit, accessible for non-initiators only from level 10 on) makes you decidely more sticky, as it makes 5' steps provoke AoOs from you, meaning that once you're next to an enemy, only teleportation can get them out without you getting a swing at them.

Both of these are from Tome of Battle, so if your group doesn't use that, this advice won't be all that useful.

Past that, Knight stuff, and AoO builds, there isn't a whole lot you can do to force enemies to attack you beyond making yourself the most obvious target, either by restricting their choices, or doing enough damage that they target you of their own accord.

If you do decide to use an AoO build, common targets include a reach weapon, Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, possibly Combat Expertise-> Improved Trip, and Robilar's Gambit.

Well, I could replace that 1 level Fighter dip with Crusader and use my free feat slot for Power Attack.

Yeah, Devoted Spirit is pretty much your best bet. RKV is worth losing some caster advancement.
Very good point.

The idea is that I've gotten to be so hard to hit that my DM hardly attacks me anymore, so that really defeats the purpose of tanking. Mostly he just goes for the squishier characters like the Rogue or Warblade. It's not that big, but I've manage to get my AC up to 55 at level 16 and as soon as we get back to town, I will be getting 59.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-04-29, 11:32 PM
I Third Divine Spirit/RKV.

Other options:

Be freaking huge-Take up so much space the squishies can literally hide behind/under/inside you. Almost always favorable violates some players' sense of style.

Cast Battlefield control- I know it's not really tanking.

Gatling chain tripping- Would require a totally different build.

Adventure in classic dungeons(5-10 ft corridors)-Standing in one square and being tough actually constitutes tanking. Down side: this is up the DM not you

Elric VIII
2011-04-29, 11:55 PM
Adventure in classic dungeons(5-10 ft corridors)-Standing in one square and being tough actually constitutes tanking. Down side: this is up the DM not you

I like this idea. I can browbeat my DM into it (I think).

The problem with RKV, while I do love the class, I'm currently 10 levels into another PrC. I'm just hoping to retrain a feat or take a small dip.