PDA

View Full Version : A mind-bending realisation

The Succubus
2011-04-30, 05:02 AM
Given the return Zz'ditri, does this mean the Mind Flayer will return soon as well and finish his rudely interrupted meal? Will the funny multiple eyed ball thing make an appearence as well?

Atcote
2011-04-30, 05:09 AM
Hmm, the mind-flayer was less a parody, more an appropriation of the mind-flayer for the sake of a joke.

That, and I'm pretty sure that after one more use of this joke, we'd be sick of it.

Stormwolf
2011-04-30, 06:22 AM
At the risk of attracting some attention... some spooky attention by invoking it's name, the funny multiple-eyed ball thing is known as a Beholder. And there's nothing funny about them evil buggers...

evileeyore
2011-04-30, 07:39 AM
At the risk of attracting some attention... some spooky attention by invoking it's name, the funny multiple-eyed ball thing is known as a Beholder. And there's nothing funny about them evil buggers...

No, but there is Beauty in them...

factotum
2011-04-30, 07:59 AM
The way the Mind Flayer was used had no element of parody about it, though...it was clearly a straight copy of the relevant creature from D&D, which is copyrighted by Wizards and not released to the SRD. Drizzt is a slightly different matter.

LtNOWIS
2011-04-30, 07:50 PM
I believe the mind flayer sequence actually did have copyright issues, which is why in #30 Elan thinks "Illithid" in the webcomic, but "illithoid" in the book. Likewise, the coke can is changed to a "cola" can in #31.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-04-30, 08:11 PM
No, but there is Beauty in them...

Yes, located primarily in the eye...

EDIT: I just have to say, "Parody is protected speech" is the second best badass battle quote of this arc. The first of course is "No. The etymologies are unrelated."

Xacal
2011-04-30, 10:02 PM
I guess the Mindflayer COULD return, if no one spoke it's species' name...

....but WHY? :smallbiggrin:

As for the beholder... hey, that thing could be interesting if it did come back, however remote the possibility. Those things are crazy, capable of wiping entire parties, it'd be another real challenge for the Order. Though, they have weak HP, right? It's been a while since I glanced at the SRD.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-01, 09:49 AM
There's really no need for the mind-flayer to return. It was a one-off joke.

KoboldRevenge
2011-05-01, 02:24 PM
I don't know. I like him i always thought Zoidbergs voice was his and It was pretty funny.

TreesOfDeath
2011-05-01, 03:18 PM
I do suspect more forgotten gags from the first 100 strips. I mean who guessed the return of I ROLLED A 4?!

But it would probably be something no one expects, done in a way no one expects, at a time no one expects (so not for the next few strips, then when its out of recent memory BAM).

ThePhantasm
2011-05-01, 03:33 PM
I do suspect more forgotten gags from the first 100 strips. I mean who guessed the return of I ROLLED A 4?!

But it would probably be something no one expects, done in a way no one expects, at a time no one expects (so not for the next few strips, then when its out of recent memory BAM).

I dunno. . . I kinda hope not, as I personally view some of those strips as psuedo-canonical, and don't really want them to become too solidified.

ORione
2011-05-02, 07:43 PM
Yes, located primarily in the eye...

EDIT: I just have to say, "Parody is protected speech" is the second best badass battle quote of this arc. The first of course is "No. The etymologies are unrelated."

The best thing about them is that if you quoted them out of context, people who've never read Oots would think they were more suited for particularly dull conversations, rather than badass battle punchlines.