PDA

View Full Version : TGWTG 3rd Year Anniversary Movie Speculation

Green-Shirt Q
2011-04-30, 07:52 AM
Well, here it is. They've released two (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/30750-3rd-year-anniversary-update) vlogs (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/as/30763-3year-anniv-ajs-vlog) about their upcoming 3rd year anniversary. Bigger concept, more special effects, and it took MUCH longer than Kickassia to shoot and will take two months to edit (where Kickassia took one month).

Speculation! What could the plot possibly be! Who could possibly be in it?! :smallbiggrin:

Confirmed characters: Nostagia Critic, Angry Joe, Jewwario and Spoony (they can be seen in the crossover video Angry Joe is editing, in their Yanki J and Dr. Insano costumes respectively so maybe we can expect those characters too). I also heard that Obscurus Lupa confirmed her involvment in this crossover. Speculating based on other people's lapse in produced video content, who else could be in it, you think?
Edit: Todd In The Shadows, Luke Mochrie, Bennet the Sage, Nostalgia Chick, the Makeover Fairy/ Dr. Tease, BFF Nella, Benzaie, Phelous, 8-Bit Mickey, Rob Walker, Holly Brown (?), Obscurus Lupa, Cinema Snob, Linkara, Iron Liz, Paw, Marzgurl, Bargo and Ed Glaser have been confirmed. That Dude in the Suade has been disconfirmed, much to the shock of many a fan.

Confirmed location: Chicago. Where Doug Walker is based, I believe. I'm not sure on that, but it would mean a lot more props would be readily on hand.

And plots?! What's the story! I heard Doug mused about doing a murder mystery after Kickassia once, but what do you guys think the plot would be that's BIGGER than Kickassia?!

I'm just so darn excited! Kickassia is still my all-time favourite film, so I can't even imagine how this could possibly top it! :biggrin:

Dr.Epic
2011-04-30, 08:10 AM
I don't see how taking over a country (even one an acre in space) can be outdone...unless they were to time travel?

Moff Chumley
2011-04-30, 11:53 AM
I'd be shocked if Nostalgia Chick and Nella weren't involved, and given Todd's dearth of new material, this'd be an acceptable excuse for him. Although I'm not sure how he'd manage to stay in shadows the whole time...

Dr.Epic
2011-04-30, 12:08 PM
I'd be shocked if Nostalgia Chick and Nella weren't involved, and given Todd's dearth of new material, this'd be an acceptable excuse for him. Although I'm not sure how he'd manage to stay in shadows the whole time...

Maybe it'll be his big reveal.

Zevox
2011-04-30, 12:40 PM
I'm mostly just surprised to hear that they're actually trying to outdo Kickassia. I figured that it would just be impossible for them to outdo making a feature-length movie in a sort-of-exotic locale involving a couple dozen guys from the site, so whatever we got from here on out for anniversaries would be a bit more subdued than that.

Yeah, don't really have much to speculate about. If they're trying to outdo Kickassia I figure all the usual major members of the site are involved, there'll probably be a few of the newer members or people like the Nostalgia Chick who couldn't make it to Kickassia on top of that, and... yeah, gonna be interesting to see what Doug came up with to actually try and outdo Kickassia.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-04-30, 12:53 PM
I'm mostly just surprised to hear that they're actually trying to outdo Kickassia. I figured that it would just be impossible for them to outdo making a feature-length movie in a sort-of-exotic locale involving a couple dozen guys from the site, so whatever we got from here on out for anniversaries would be a bit more subdued than that.

Yeah, the only way they're going to outdo Kickassia is if...

They become Kick-Ass!

Tengu_temp
2011-04-30, 01:27 PM
They're conquering a part of the Moon. Or an alternate universe.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-01, 01:12 PM
They're conquering a part of the Moon. Or an alternate universe.

They can't conquer the moon. Simon's gonna need it to defeat the anti-spirals.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-01, 01:15 PM
Simon is a fictional character in TGWTG-verse. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8hL9tisUKI)

Dr.Epic
2011-05-01, 01:23 PM
Simon is a fictional character in TGWTG-verse. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8hL9tisUKI)

Doug reviewed an anime as Chester A. Bum? What?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-01, 01:28 PM
It's a fragment of JesuOtaku's review of TTGL. I don't recomment JesuOtaku, she's extremely pretentious and at the same time loves misinterpreting and missing the point of the stuff she reviews.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-01, 01:52 PM
It's a fragment of JesuOtaku's review of TTGL. I don't recomment JesuOtaku, she's extremely pretentious and at the same time loves misinterpreting and missing the point of the stuff she reviews.

So's the Cinema Snob and he's my favorite online reviewer.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-01, 01:56 PM
Because he doesn't throw away everything in which he can't find a deeper meaning about humanity, the universe and everything as worthless, and he doesn't pretend to have a very intellectual approach to his reviews while having at best surface knowledge of the topics he's talking about at the same time. Pretentions on their own aren't so bad.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-01, 03:20 PM
Because he doesn't throw away everything in which he can't find a deeper meaning about humanity, the universe and everything as worthless, and he doesn't pretend to have a very intellectual approach to his reviews while having at best surface knowledge of the topics he's talking about at the same time. Pretentions on their own aren't so bad.

Plus, it's just a character he's doing. He's not actually that pretentious in real life, which tends to change things.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-01, 03:57 PM
Plus, it's just a character he's doing. He's not actually that pretentious in real life, which tends to change things.

Which is hilarious when you look at his other characters. *cough* 80s Dan *cough*

I want to see a crossover with him and 90s Kid.

Lord Seth
2011-05-01, 04:21 PM
I don't recomment JesuOtaku, she's extremely pretentious and at the same time loves misinterpreting and missing the point of the stuff she reviews.Really? I'm not a major fan of hers (though I really liked the Digimon reviews, wish she'd get back to those) but I don't recall any times she was pretentious or any of those other things you said.

Mx.Silver
2011-05-01, 05:29 PM
Really? I'm not a major fan of hers (though I really liked the Digimon reviews, wish she'd get back to those) but I don't recall any times she was pretentious or any of those other things you said.

Same here. My reasons for not liking her are that she's not particulalarly entertaining or informative and that she seems to have a very vocal preference for american dubs. She never struck me as being particularly pretentious, although she does seem to take things rather seriously.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-01, 08:22 PM
Really? I'm not a major fan of hers (though I really liked the Digimon reviews, wish she'd get back to those) but I don't recall any times she was pretentious or any of those other things you said.

Watch her review of Evangelion. Good one third of it is her criticizing its existential themes as evil incarnate... And from what she says, it's pretty obvious that she has no idea what existentialism is actually about. And that's just one example.

Lord Seth
2011-05-01, 09:56 PM
Watch her review of Evangelion. Good one third of it is her criticizing its existential themes as evil incarnate... And from what she says, it's pretty obvious that she has no idea what existentialism is actually about.She didn't focus that much on existentialism myself from what I remember, just how it was presented in Evangelion (if that was the philosophy presented). I don't recall any kinds of claiming it was "evil incarnate," just that its philosophy didn't make that much sense or wasn't presented well. Neon Genesis Evangelion is pretty pretentious itself, anyway, and I don't object to calling it out for that. And I say that was a fan of the series.

As a note, Todd in the Shadows tweeted the following:
You know how I kept saying I was too busy with other **** all last week to put out videos? I hope no one got too worried about that.

I mean, I hope at this point it's obvious what I was doing all that week. I was told not to say, but hey, that info's all out there now.So he seems pretty confirmed as well.

SDF
2011-05-01, 10:06 PM
I want to know how this could possibly take twice as long to edit as kickassia. Unless it is twice as long or has professional quality fx it seems ridiculous. I'm a fan of the reviews, but for the amount of money they spent on the second anniversary video it was really amateurish quality and a pain to watch.

Otogi
2011-05-01, 10:42 PM
Mystery Plot! Mystery Plot!

Jamin
2011-05-02, 02:12 AM
I don't think Kick@ssia should be hard to beat. There were some enjoyable bits but overall it is not super funny. If it had a good plot and characters to make up for the not as funny as as a review style it would be fine but the plot is silly and characters downright bad. I would give it 1.5 stars maybe.

Lord of Rapture
2011-05-02, 03:30 AM

Throw in Bennet the Sage for being overly nostalgic and biased against new anime, and Masako X for being absolutely dull and horrible at reviewing as well.

Mx.Silver
2011-05-02, 04:17 AM
Throw in Bennet the Sage for being overly nostalgic and biased against new anime, and Masako X for being absolutely dull and horrible at reviewing as well.

Yeah. Basically, we need Suede back.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-02, 06:13 AM
I don't think Kick@ssia should be hard to beat. There were some enjoyable bits but overall it is not super funny. If it had a good plot and characters to make up for the not as funny as as a review style it would be fine but the plot is silly and characters downright bad. I would give it 1.5 stars maybe.

Meh. I laughed my kick-@ss-ia off during the whole thing. I guess it's subjective.

I want to know how this could possibly take twice as long to edit as kickassia. Unless it is twice as long or has professional quality fx it seems ridiculous. I'm a fan of the reviews, but for the amount of money they spent on the second anniversary video it was really amateurish quality and a pain to watch.

You do have to take into account it was made by amateurs. People who make short films online that usually only use minimal special effects and they only have access to recreational editing software. And shot all the footage in only 4 days, with all the budget going into actually getting and staying at filming location. If you're expecting Avatar, then of course you'll be disappointed.

Apperently they have much better and much more frequent use of special effects in this next special as well as more time to shoot, but I still wouldn't expect much in the way of production quality from these guys and keep my expectations low in the production quality department.

As a note, Todd in the Shadows tweeted the following:So he seems pretty confirmed as well.

AWESOME! He's my favourite reviewer. I was actually kinda worried he'd be passed up for this special because of the whole shadowy thing. :biggrin:

I'm guessing he'll be using the face-mask to hide his identity like in all the Magfest coverage videos.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-02, 07:45 AM

Yeah, Bennett is a gigantic grognard an MasakoX is boring. I like MarzGurl and Y The Ruler of Time, but they release their videos very infrequently.

Money? What money? Pretty much all of Kickassia's budget went into getting all the people there and paying for their accomodation. I also thought it was pretty funny, and because of it I started to watch Cinema Snob and Film Brain.

Lord of Rapture
2011-05-02, 08:21 AM
Yeah, Bennett is a gigantic grognard an MasakoX is boring. I like MarzGurl and Y The Ruler of Time, but they release their videos very infrequently.

Well, I like MarzGurl's crossover with Linkara for Cool World, and Y is always great in the Mega Crossovers each year. Are their regular videos as good?

Tengu_temp
2011-05-02, 08:25 AM
Well, I've seen only several videos by each, but I liked them as much as the one you mentioned. I I had to compare them, I'd say Y is better. He's very snarky.

SDF
2011-05-02, 09:31 AM
You do have to take into account it was made by amateurs. People who make short films online that usually only use minimal special effects and they only have access to recreational editing software. And shot all the footage in only 4 days, with all the budget going into actually getting and staying at filming location. If you're expecting Avatar, then of course you'll be disappointed.

Apperently they have much better and much more frequent use of special effects in this next special as well as more time to shoot, but I still wouldn't expect much in the way of production quality from these guys and keep my expectations low in the production quality department.

Amateur doesn't have to necessitate poor quality, though. Primer was filmed on $7000 and is one of my favorite films. You know what has better production values, special effects, writing, and editing? Marble Hornets. That is clearly filmed with a handheld but is able to hold my suspension of disbelief and be fun to watch. Kickassia wasn't so much a movie as it was a two hour rehash of throw away jokes. I'm pretty sure The Chick is a in a film producer masters program at USC. Clearly these people have the capability to do better, but if it isn't a huge step up in quality they really should just stick to reviews.

Lord Seth
2011-05-02, 09:49 AM
From what I've seen of her videos, MarzGurl is...okay. The "Anime News Editorials" are pretty boring and feel (in the words of someone I can't remember) like someone is reading a thesis in a bored voice. I did like the Land Before Time reviews, though, which are coming out on a fairly timely basis.

Y Ruler of Time's videos are pretty good for the most part, but his update schedule is horrible.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-02, 03:11 PM
Amateur doesn't have to necessitate poor quality, though. Primer was filmed on $7000 and is one of my favorite films. You know what has better production values, special effects, writing, and editing? Marble Hornets. That is clearly filmed with a handheld but is able to hold my suspension of disbelief and be fun to watch. Kickassia wasn't so much a movie as it was a two hour rehash of throw away jokes. I'm pretty sure The Chick is a in a film producer masters program at USC. Clearly these people have the capability to do better, but if it isn't a huge step up in quality they really should just stick to reviews.

I disagree that this was shot in a way that wouldn't allow somebody to hold the suspension of disbelief, and I disagree with your view that the jokes weren't good. Personally, I thought the production quality was great for what it was, as well.

Then again, these are all subjective points and I respect your opinion. Still, I do find it odd how polarizing a simple movie from internet reviewers can be.

BlackDragonKing
2011-05-02, 06:14 PM
From what I've seen of her videos, MarzGurl is...okay. The "Anime News Editorials" are pretty boring and feel (in the words of someone I can't remember) like someone is reading a thesis in a bored voice. I did like the Land Before Time reviews, though, which are coming out on a fairly timely basis.

Y Ruler of Time's videos are pretty good for the most part, but his update schedule is horrible.

I'd agree there, I just never got used to MarzGurl's review style.

Y would probably be one of my favorite reviewers on that site if he had a more consistent update schedule, and he certainly beats everyone else taking a crack at anime/manga reviews except perhaps for Suede, and I'd wait until both of them were updating before trying to compare them. It's a shame that Y's updates are so sporadic, but hopefully he'll get some more crossovers.

Theory: The 3rd Anniversary will include Suede's return to the crew as part of its plot.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-02, 06:34 PM
Theory: The 3rd Anniversary will include Suede's return to the crew as part of its plot.

Man, that'd rock. Let it happen.

Mx.Silver
2011-05-03, 02:34 PM
Man, that'd rock. Let it happen.

Much as I'd really, really, want this to be true I don't think he's due back for at least a few months yet.

Jamin
2011-05-03, 03:17 PM
Much as I'd really, really, want this to be true I don't think he's due back for at least a few months yet.

He is already back

Lord Seth
2011-05-03, 04:16 PM
Am I the only one who thought Suede was just kinda okay? Not good, not bad, just okay? He barely even had any videos; if not for him being so early in joining the site I don't think anyone would even remember him.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-04, 09:43 PM
Well, looks like we can confirm two more personalities in this movie. According to Spoony's commentary on Zombie 5 (http://spoonyexperiment.com/), Spoony speculates that either Luke Mochrie or Bennet the Sage gave him the sickness, so that must mean he came into contact with them recently and thus they are going to be in the movie!

...Goddamn I just realized how much of a crazy, obsessive, straw-clutching fanboy I must sound like. :smalleek::smalltongue:

I'm not really all too excited about either of them, as I never personally found either of them really funny. I am excited that there will be another Canadian being a part of this production, though. And I'm curious to see if/how they'll portray his inner voices in this movie.

[EDIT] Anybody else kinda worried Cinema Snob might not be in it? :smalleek: In all his recent videos (he's been putting a bunch of them up MUCH sooner then anybody else) say that he hasn't been updating recently because of family staying over at his house and he's sick (it could be a cover story, though). But signs point to him sitting it out this year and him being at home this whole time...

There I go being all obsessive again. :smallsigh:

Tengu_temp
2011-05-05, 05:21 AM
I think the Snob simply hides his participation better. But if he doesn't appear in the anniversary after all, I'm gonna be sad. And not just because of that video, but also because of crossovers - the ones with Cinema Snob are always among the best! I'm personally hoping for part 2 of Bad Movie Cinema Snobs.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-07, 07:28 AM
Well, the latest video with Benzaie confirms a whole bunch of people, including Cinema Snob and Todd. And, while he wasn't mentioned, I'm 75% certain I saw Film Brain in the background.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-07, 07:31 AM
Wow, new video (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thedudette/specials/30839-channel-awesome-does-benzaie) that confirms a bunch of characters!

Nostalgia Chick (and, to me more interestingly, with the Makeover Fairy/ Dr. Tease and later in the video, BFF Nella, which means extended characters may be involved in this special), Benzaie, Phelous, 8-Bit Mickey, Rob Walker (big surprise, right?), ...someone I don't recognize (In the credits there's a name I don't recognize, Holly Brown, whose this could be if it means something to somebody), Obscurus Lupa, Cinema Snob (YAY! My fears were wrong!), Todd In The Shadows (I assume from the rag covering half his face), Linkara (and later Iron Liz, again with extended characters), Paw, Marzgurl, and Bargo!

In case anybody's wondering why I care enough to post this, it's because I'm waiting to see if they'll keep the tradition of a constantly rotating cast each year when new people show up and others can't make it for whatever reason. And watching to see who doesn't make it and hope it's not one of my favourite reviewers. So far it seems they got all the guys I watch Channel Awesome for, so I'm happy. :smallsmile:

[NINJAED! EGADS! :smallmad:]

Moff Chumley
2011-05-07, 02:04 PM
I enjoyed Kickassia, don't get me wrong, but it felt as if they could've put a lot more effort into it. Chick is a competent filmmaker, and I don't think Kickassia was up to her standards. Also, there was some gawdawful acting in there. MarzGurl leaps to mind most readily, and Sage had some cringeworthy moments as well... signs show that they're putting more effort into this one than into Kickassia, though, so my hopes are high.

Zevox
2011-05-10, 12:57 AM
Oooo, looks like Linkara's latest review (Ultimate Warrior's Workout) contains a bit of teasing setup for the anniversary special at the end.
It will apparently involve something screwy going on with "hypertime," the same thing that caused all that reality-warping in the crossover reviews of the Ultimate Warrior comics he did with Spoony the last two years. As I recall Spoony actually set up that there'd be something of the sort going on which had even Doctor Insano worried at the end of one of his videos not too long ago too, but I'm surprised to hear that it's going to be a part of the anniversary movie rather than just another plotline for Spoony's videos.

Found the Spoony video in question: the Beastmaster 2 review. Doctor Insano refers to the problem with hypertime as causing a "complete and utter space-time dimensional collapse" along with a bit of other psuedo-scientific babble, and says he needs to stop it. When Spoony asks if he needs help, he replies "there's only one man who can help me," and that's where the piece ends as he warps away. Apparently he meant Linkara, given that talking to him is how Linkara finds out about this at the end of his review.
Anyway, I'm pleased with this thought. That could have all kind of potential for cheesy awesomeness.

Zevox

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-10, 05:47 AM
Ah man! I just saw that review! I was just over here to post the same thing!

Confirmed: The special will do with Hypertime and perhaps alternate universes!That was pretty much my guess to begin with (even before Spoony's stinger in Beastmaster 2), but it was my only guess when Doug gave the hints during his Vlog about it.

Glad to see my suspicion is confirmed. It certainly sounds like and easier way to introduce characters and plot elements. I can barely wait! :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2011-05-10, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Hypertime thing refers to the last part of Spoony/Linkara crossover review of the Warrior comic, not the third TGWTG anniversary.

Zevox
2011-05-10, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Hypertime thing refers to the last part of Spoony/Linkara crossover review of the Warrior comic, not the third TGWTG anniversary.
Given it was framed as the reason for Linkara to go to Chicago to begin with, I'm going to take the opposite view here. That seems quite distinctly to point towards the anniversary event, not just the fourth Warrior comic.

Zevox

Tengu_temp
2011-05-10, 02:42 PM
Or it's just an in-story reason for the Warrior finale to take place in a hotel in Chicago, not in Linkara's house.

SDF
2011-05-11, 02:30 AM
I enjoyed Kickassia, don't get me wrong, but it felt as if they could've put a lot more effort into it. Chick is a competent filmmaker, and I don't think Kickassia was up to her standards. Also, there was some gawdawful acting in there. MarzGurl leaps to mind most readily, and Sage had some cringeworthy moments as well... signs show that they're putting more effort into this one than into Kickassia, though, so my hopes are high.

That's partly what I was saying. I mean not even all the people at TGWTG are thrilled with it. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/sadpanda/forget-about-it/30876-kickassia)

The technical parts that spring to mind and were objectively terrible involve anything filmed inside being BLINDINGLY BRIGHT. Even amateurs like me know how to mess with the gamma, and shade the windows.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-11, 06:14 AM
Or it's just an in-story reason for the Warrior finale to take place in a hotel in Chicago, not in Linkara's house.

Actually, that sounds quite logical. I suppose we really don't know anything about the plot.

Particluarly since Spoony's Beastmaster 2 review said "To Be Continued in The Warrior #4". I don't think it has anything to do with the special anymore.

That's partly what I was saying. I mean not even all the people at TGWTG are thrilled with it. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/sadpanda/forget-about-it/30876-kickassia)

The technical parts that spring to mind and were objectively terrible involve anything filmed inside being BLINDINGLY BRIGHT. Even amateurs like me know how to mess with the gamma, and shade the windows.

Somehow, I don't think that review was serious. :smallwink:

And yes, that is a point. There were lighting issues occasionally. That seemed to be because they either couldn't fix it (adjusting the gamma would have made it look worse), they wanted to get the speical out as quickly as possible and they didn't think anybody would care, or in the case of the Dr. Insano scene, intentionally left so for drama sake.

However, I don't know about you, but I barely noticed it before you brought it up. I think "blindingly bright" is a bit of an exaggeration. Slightly ammateurly bright, maybe. I thought it made the film look like a war documentary in some places, which was very comedic.

I guess it just revolves around people's capacity to look at a film and not say "OMG!!!! Teh lighting was bad in three small spots in the movie! This movie is OBJECTIVELY TERRIBLE by ANYONES perception!!!!11!! OMG Spoony OVERACTED! OVERACTING NEVER HAPPENS ON TGWTG!!! PURGE THE MOVIE FOREVER!!!! THE ENTIRE MOVIE WAS AWFUL BECAUSE OF THIS SMALL PART!" I'm not saying you said that. That's other people.

But yeah, there is nothing in the movie that is objectively (which means NOBODY can think otherwise) terrible.

SDF
2011-05-11, 09:30 AM
Lampshading bad points doesn't negate their validity.

But yeah, there is nothing in the movie that is objectively (which means NOBODY can think otherwise) terrible.

No, objectivity doesn't mean you can't think otherwise, it means you are wrong if you think otherwise.

Again, I like TGWTG and a handful of the reviewers. I just think it is a joke people paid money for a DVD of Kickassia.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-11, 02:58 PM
No, objectivity doesn't mean you can't think otherwise, it means you are wrong if you think otherwise.

Well, your point was that the movie was terrible by all points, right?

So if I thought otherwise, doesn't that inherently MAKE your point wrong? If I unironically enjoyed the effect as it was used, doesn't that change that it was, apperently, terrible? For me at least?

See, that's the thing with fiction. EVERYTHING is subjective. Everything affects people in different ways. You may have disliked it. That's your opinion. I may have loved it. That's my opinion. The movie and everything in it can't be objectively good or bad. It can't be objectively anything.

...Also, is there some concrete, set-in-stone guidelines I don't know about concerning making films? I wasn't aware of the "Lighting cannot be slightly brighter than usual inside a building or else the entire film is terrible NO EXCEPTIONS" rule.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-11, 03:20 PM
Quality of technical elements can be objectively measured. Enjoyability is subjective.

Again, I like TGWTG and a handful of the reviewers. I just think it is a joke people paid money for a DVD of Kickassia.

What's wrong with showing support for reviewers you like? This money could've been spent in numerous worse ways.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-11, 03:30 PM
Quality of technical elements can be objectively measured. Enjoyability is subjective.

And what is the quality of the technical elements measured by? I always thought it was how well the compliment the rest of the film, which I actually thought they did in this case (because it made it look almost like a realistic documentary).

SDF
2011-05-11, 03:30 PM
My point is the writing was subpar, they could have done worse, but they have done better. The lighting and production values were bad throughout. I'm not arguing from the point of relative opinions, because if you use those then why even bother talking about it at all? It makes it totally meaningless. I'm talking from the perspective of standards. The film industry has them, and in this regard Kickassia is bad. I'm not arguing that you can't enjoy the film, I never said that and it would be a silly point.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-11, 03:34 PM
Yeah, the production values were objectively pretty bad... and could've been much worse, considering that it was shot by a group of amateurs (only Brad is a professional filmmaker) for pretty much no budget. Comparing Kickassia's production values to a high-budget movie is like pitting the winner of high school martial arts championship against Bruce Lee.

I got nothing on lightning. It didn't really bug me.

Lord of Rapture
2011-05-12, 03:29 AM
Personally, I enjoyed Kickassia because it was a bad movie. It's So Bad Its Good.

Had the production values been better, I actually think I'd have enjoyed it a lot less.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-12, 05:36 AM
The ending to Linkara's lastest review could be either for the 3rd year anniversary or something else. Dr. Insano was seen at the end of Spoony's Beastmaster 2 review also talking about hypertime.

What I've never understood was you know that one Cinema Snob review where he's just interrupted by gun fire from some guy also played by Brad with a coat and eye patch? What was the deal with that? I thought maybe it'd be referenced in a later video or it might have something to do with the 3rd year anniversary, but is it ever going to pay off?

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-12, 06:00 AM
The ending to Linkara's lastest review could be either for the 3rd year anniversary or something else. Dr. Insano was seen at the end of Spoony's Beastmaster 2 review also talking about hypertime.

What I've never understood was you know that one Cinema Snob review where he's just interrupted by gun fire from some guy also played by Brad with a coat and eye patch? What was the deal with that? I thought maybe it'd be referenced in a later video or it might have something to do with the 3rd year anniversary, but is it ever going to pay off?

It was a reference to a movie Brad Jones already made on his own and put up on the site: The Hooker With a Heart of Gold. Apperently it takes place in the same continuity as the Cinema Snob. That scene was taking place during the climax where the bad guy (played by Brad) goes on a rampage. That was all the gag was. A shout out to those of us who watched the movie. There's most likely nothing left to pay off.

It was a great movie, by the way. Highly recommend checking out.

[EDIT] You can find the links on this page (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bj/bs). And the second page of that list, obviously.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-12, 04:35 PM
It was a reference to a movie Brad Jones already made on his own and put up on the site: The Hooker With a Heart of Gold. Apperently it takes place in the same continuity as the Cinema Snob. That scene was taking place during the climax where the bad guy (played by Brad) goes on a rampage. That was all the gag was. A shout out to those of us who watched the movie. There's most likely nothing left to pay off.

It was a great movie, by the way. Highly recommend checking out.

[EDIT] You can find the links on this page (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bj/bs). And the second page of that list, obviously.

Oh, thanks. I may have to check this out now.

Axinian
2011-05-12, 08:02 PM
To be fair, according to Spoony's commentary, shooting in Molossia was hell and probably had them not at their best.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-05-26, 03:30 PM
I hope this isn't considered thread necromancy. It was only on the second page...

Looks like Film Brain & Ed Glaser have been confirmed by recent cameo episodes. So that's cool.

For all those people looking forward to Suede's return...Sadly it seems to be disconfirmed. Apperently, Suede himself tweeted that he was unable to make it because he was getting married or something.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-26, 03:50 PM
I knew I saw Film Brain in the "everyone pretends to be Benzaie" video! But now, with the new crossover, we have a more solid confirmation. And that's good.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-27, 12:17 AM
I just hope the following characters are in it: Dr. Insano, 90s Kid, 80s Dan, and Chester A. Bum. I love those guys. They should get their own sitcom together. I'd watch that, unless Adventure Time was on. They can't compete with that show.

Zevox
2011-06-06, 11:35 PM
Aaand a teaser (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/31222-the-third-year-anniversary-teaser) is up. Doesn't reveal much, but it's kinda funny to see who everyone is dressed up as. Didn't see that coming.

I've got:
Nostalgia Critic: Link
Banzai: ? (Conan the Barbarian or something? Don't know.)
Nostalgia Chick: An Elf (note the ears), possibly Arwen.
Obscurus Lupa: Snow White
8-Bit Mickey: Peter Pan
Phelous: ??? (WTF?)
Benett the Sage: ? (The Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz?)
Handsome Tom: ? (I have no clue.)
Linkara: ? (Some knight...)
Angry Joe: Inigo Montoya (?)
Cinema Snob: Indiana Jones
Paw: ? (I have no clue.)
Marzgurl: ? (Uh... a stereotypical native american?)
Film Brain: Harry Potter
Luke Mochrie: Another Harry Potter character?
Spoony: Gandalf
Todd in Shadows: ? (I get the feeling I should know, but I don't.)
Jew Wario: ? (I have no clue.)
Anybody care to fill me in on the half or so of them I don't recognize or am not sure about?

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-06-06, 11:40 PM
When I first watched that, I though for a second the Nostalgia Critic was the guy who played Neil in Legend of Neil and I was so hoping for a crossover. And of course the Cinema Snob and Indiana Jones. They both have Jones as a last name.:smallbiggrin:

I'm excited!!!

edit: I though Todd in the Shadows was Zorro

Helanna
2011-06-06, 11:54 PM
Okay, I am really excited for this now. Of course, you can't trust a trailer, but if these costumes actually have anything to do with the plot there's no way this can't be awesome.

Also, I thought Todd was the Dread Pirate Roberts, which made me really happy. Good way to keep his mask on either way!

Lord Raziere
2011-06-06, 11:58 PM
ok, who are all these people and what are their shows about? I keep hearing about them but I never receive any information about what they actually do.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 12:06 AM
ok, who are all these people and what are their shows about? I keep hearing about them but I never receive any information about what they actually do.

a quick over view on the shows I mostly watch:

Nostalgia Critic: Old cartoons you probably forgot about
Nostalgia Chick: same as above but a woman
Cinema Snob: exploitation films and adult material
Linkara: comics
Spoony: Final Fantasy sucks and other material

Zevox
2011-06-07, 12:14 AM
edit: I though Todd in the Shadows was Zorro
Ah, that would explain why I thought I should recognize it but didn't. I know of Zorro, but have never seen any of his movies (or TV shows, or whatever media he's from).

Also, I thought Todd was the Dread Pirate Roberts, which made me really happy.
Who? :smallconfused:

Online video reviewers, mostly of the comedy variety, from the website ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/). They do videos reviewing/making fun of various things. For instance, the most popular of the bunch (after whom the site is named) is Doug Walker, whose most popular show/character is the Nostalgia Critic. In that he reviews movies and TV shows from the 80s and 90s. He also does a bunch of other video series such as Bum Reviews (short comedy reviews of newly-released films, in the persona of a bum), Ask That Guy With The Glasses (where he answers questions from fans in a disturbing manner), and Video Game Confessions (where he takes video game characters and makes up amusing stories about what private, humiliating or disturbing secrets they would tell a bartender), among others.

A number of the others also review movies and TV shows (Nostalgia Chick, Cinema Snob, Film Brain), and there are also reviewers for comic books (Linkara), video games (The Spoony One, Angry Joe, Bennett the Sage), and music (Paw, Todd in Shadows), among others. Those lists aren't exhaustive, and there a number of reviewers on the site I'm not familiar with beyond their appearances in the anniversary videos, so there's more I didn't cover.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 12:18 AM
I think they should just call this "Cosplay: the Movie". Though, Suburban Knights makes me hope it's a Watchmen type thing.

Helanna
2011-06-07, 12:38 AM
Who? :smallconfused:

From The Princess Bride, image here (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/11/25/a3c8_dread_pirate_roberts_actionf_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2008/11/introducing-the/&usg=__zmkh4912q4aZMiXMvkWsGt5g8RE=&h=337&w=220&sz=12&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=nvtwmiyX1uYVEM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=80&ei=gbftTeGdDYPQgAfS3MjBBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddread%2Bpirate%2Broberts%26hl%3Den%26 biw%3D1152%26bih%3D732%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=796&vpy=78&dur=2724&hovh=269&hovw=176&tx=103&ty=146&page=1&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&biw=1152&bih=732). I thought Todd's costume, particularly the mask, were a closer fit than to him than Zorro.

Zevox
2011-06-07, 12:51 AM
From The Princess Bride, image here (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/11/25/a3c8_dread_pirate_roberts_actionf_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2008/11/introducing-the/&usg=__zmkh4912q4aZMiXMvkWsGt5g8RE=&h=337&w=220&sz=12&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=nvtwmiyX1uYVEM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=80&ei=gbftTeGdDYPQgAfS3MjBBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddread%2Bpirate%2Broberts%26hl%3Den%26 biw%3D1152%26bih%3D732%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=796&vpy=78&dur=2724&hovh=269&hovw=176&tx=103&ty=146&page=1&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&biw=1152&bih=732). I thought Todd's costume, particularly the mask, were a closer fit than to him than Zorro.
:smallconfused: I thought that character had a different name? In any event that one would also fit with my "I should know who this is but don't" impression, since my memory is pretty hazy on every character from that movie except Inigo.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 01:29 AM
I love how they mimic that one scene from the Fellowship of the Ring, but why the Spider-Man music? That isn't exactly medieval fantasy which over half the characters where dressed as.

Also, anyone else wanna make bets on the number of times the NC says "Well excuse me princess!"? My guess is, as always, 147.

edit: JewWario is David Bowie's character from Labyrinth. The magic orb and and blonde, long hair are the giveaway.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-07, 08:50 AM
Hmm. Who participated in the second anniversary, but not the third? I can only think of 3d Lee, and maybe Lord Kat (I forgot if he was in the second).

John Cribati
2011-06-07, 09:10 AM
Marzgurl is definitely Princess Mononoke.

Also... I had no idea Todd was that chubby.

Zevox
2011-06-07, 11:57 AM
Hmm. Who participated in the second anniversary, but not the third? I can only think of 3d Lee, and maybe Lord Kat (I forgot if he was in the second).
Lord Kat was in Kickassia, yes. Briefly, but there. I think Lee and him are the only two like that. And in their place we get newcomers like Obscurus Lupa, Luke Mochrie, and Todd in Shadows.

Zevox

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 03:31 PM
Marzgurl is definitely Princess Mononoke.

Also... I had no idea Todd was that chubby.

Maybe that's because he's always in the shadows?

edit: Is Phelous supposed to be the rock biter?

Green-Shirt Q
2011-06-07, 05:39 PM
Oh my god. When I saw the trailer, here's how I felt (except replace the beginning "just an old guy doing a voiceover" with "just some guys walking in costume" and replace "Skyrim/ Elderscrolls game" with "Suburban Knights/ TGWTG movie". (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY)
[EDIT] Maybe without the boner at the end. :smallredface: :smalltongue:

Lord Kat was in Kickassia, yes. Briefly, but there. I think Lee and him are the only two like that. And in their place we get newcomers like Obscurus Lupa, Luke Mochrie, and Todd in Shadows.

Zevox

Yup. I never really thought they were all that funny anyway. I didn't think they brought much to Kickassia.

It looks like 8-Bit Mickey has higher billing over Handsome Tom (if their presence in the movie has anything to do with the line-up, which I actually really doubt). Due to Mickey's rising popularity, causing Handsome Tom to be reduced from the major player in the Brawl to a minor one in Kickassia, it really wouldn't surprise me if Mickey eclipsed Tom in this special.

I wonder if they'll be in costume the entire time...Or what makes them put on the costumes in the first place...

MY SPECULATON:
Dr. Insano has controlled all their minds to make them believe they are in a mystical land, when they are really only in a small town in Chicago. That or the Critic has another insane scheme to take over the world by getting a magical crystal from underground or something.

Pretty stupid theories, but I don't see you coming up with anything! :smallmad::smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 07:17 PM
They're doing Lord of the Rings but with ewoks.:smalltongue:

Querzis
2011-06-07, 07:56 PM
Nostalgia Critic: Link
Banzai: Conan the Barbarian
Nostalgia Chick: Arwen
Obscurus Lupa: Snow White
8-Bit Mickey: Peter Pan
Phelous: ??? (WTF?) ??? No seriously WTF?
Benett the Sage: The Cowardly Lion
Handsome Tom: ? (kinda look like Simon from Castlevania)
Linkara: The Black Knight
Angry Joe: Inigo Montoya
Cinema Snob: Indiana Jones
Paw: Profion from the Dungeon and Dragon movie
Marzgurl: Princess Mononoke
Film Brain: Harry Potter
Luke Mochrie: Harry Potter 2.0? Its not like theres any other young male wizard wearing glasses in those books.
Spoony: Gandalf
Todd in Shadows: Dread Pirate Roberts (Zorro always got a hat and a whip)
Jew Wario: Jareth the Goblin King
Anybody care to fill me in on the half or so of them I don't recognize or am not sure about?

I added some in your spoiler. Its pretty much just Handsome Tom and Phellous I really cant recognize at all.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-07, 07:59 PM
I added some in your spoiler. Its pretty much just Handsome Tom and Phellous I really cant recognize at all.

Paw is Profion? What an obscure reference.

Zevox
2011-06-07, 08:34 PM
Linkara is the Black Knight? Er, from what might I ask? :smallconfused:

Zevox

Mystic Muse
2011-06-07, 08:48 PM
Linkara is the Black Knight? Er, from what might I ask? :smallconfused:

Zevox

Without seeing the teaser, I'd guess "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Querzis
2011-06-07, 11:42 PM
Paw is Profion? What an obscure reference.

Kinda but obviously not as much as whoever Handsome Tom and Phellous are supposed to be. No really, even looking at the comments on TFWTG site nobody can figure who they are supposed to be (well someone said Phellous kinda look like Rockbiter but I dont see it).

Mystic Muse
2011-06-07, 11:52 PM
Handsome Tom looks familiar but I can't tell/remember what he's from.

No clue what Phelous is. At all.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-08, 07:16 PM
No clue what Phelous is. At all.

What? What is this? Maybe it's a Phelous Sandwich!:smallwink:

doliest
2011-06-08, 07:27 PM
Wow. Did anyone else crack up at Film Brain in the Harry Potter costume with that excited grin on his face? Seriously, that...that alone makes me want to buy the DVD for this when it comes out. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2011-06-22, 10:31 AM
Well, there's a real trailer now. And the whole thing starts in just a few days!

For some reason Doug's "hyah~!" by the end amused me greatly. Actually, I know the reason, and it's that I'm a big fan of the guy who voiced Link in Ocarina of Time.

Mystic Muse
2011-06-22, 11:31 AM
Looks like Phelous was rockbiter.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-22, 01:24 PM
Looks like no Insano. On the other hand, I loved Doug's character (under-medicated narcissistic nutcase) in Kickassia, and it looks like that'll continue here. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-06-22, 04:10 PM
Looks like Phelous was rockbiter.

Called it.

Also, they're not LARPing; they're cosplaying. LARPing you create your own character that's may or may not be just an expy depending on how original you are. As a devout geek, former LARPer, and rules lawyer, I take great offense to such statements that confuse the various types of nerdome.

sentaku
2011-06-27, 08:43 AM
Part 1 (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/31491-suburban-knights-part-1) is out.

About the hooded people.

My guess on the middle hooded person at the end is Nella. The other two being
Elisa, and IronLiz (confined by Linkara in comments -"Iron Liz IS in it. =3 She's right there at the end of part 1. " )

Zevox
2011-06-27, 10:55 AM
Hm, did anyone else have trouble hearing what the villain at the start (the one played by the guy that played the angel in the Nostalgia Critic Christmas Carol) was saying? I had to turn my volume up to catch most of his lines. Slightly annoying.

Otherwise, good start. A fair number of funny jokes, good potential for more to come. Though now I'm curious whether they actually looked up Quenya or Sindarin for the Nostalgia Chick's lines...

Zevox

sentaku
2011-06-27, 11:15 AM
Otherwise, good start. A fair number of funny jokes, good potential for more to come. Though now I'm curious whether they actually looked up Quenya or Sindarin for the Nostalgia Chick's lines...

Given that she is speaking Hindu I'm going to go with no.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-27, 12:24 PM
Hm, did anyone else have trouble hearing what the villain at the start (the one played by the guy that played the angel in the Nostalgia Critic Christmas Carol) was saying? I had to turn my volume up to catch most of his lines. Slightly annoying.

Nope. Although I tend to watch videos at high volume anyway. Also, I really like that guy and I'm very happy he's the main villain in this.

I bet one of the main reason they split the party is so they will have more people who can play masked, faceless mooks the other group is facing. Well, and to give everyone more spotlight.

averagejoe
2011-06-27, 12:28 PM
You know, I've ever much enjoyed the Angry Joe Show, but that guy is so enjoyable in every sketch he's in. He steals the show so badly, it's almost unfair to the other actors.

John Cribati
2011-06-27, 12:30 PM
You know, I've ever much enjoyed the Angry Joe Show,

Irony. I love it. Actually, this probably isn't irony, and I'm just stupid.

averagejoe
2011-06-27, 12:36 PM
Irony.

I know, right.

Well, a big part of it is that I just don't own any current generation systems, or a computer that can run even games produced five years ago very well. I think the guy's better as a performer than anyone for free on the internet has a right to be, but talking about games from a very visceral/pumped up angle is something that's just irrelevant to me.

Zevox
2011-06-27, 02:08 PM
Also, I really like that guy and I'm very happy he's the main villain in this.
Yeah, I thought he was very good in the Christmas Carol video. Hopefully he'll be just as good here. Can't say much for the little we've seen so far, but hey, it's only the first part of seven, and he didn't get a whole lot of screen time in it.

You know, I've ever much enjoyed the Angry Joe Show, but that guy is so enjoyable in every sketch he's in. He steals the show so badly, it's almost unfair to the other actors.
Eh, he's certainly good at hamming it up, but not much more so than many of the others I'd say (Spoony and Doug in particular). I stopped watching his show a while ago myself simply because our tastes in video games rarely align. But I do enjoying seeing him in these types of things, I'll certainly give him that.

Zevox

Tengu_temp
2011-06-27, 02:26 PM
Joe is one of the biggest hams on GitP for a reason. Although I'd say Spoony beats him in that department (though his hamminess is different, and usually shows itself in high-pitched screams and hilarious expressions of pure terror). Strangely enough, Paw seems to ham it up like crazy in this crossover - very different from his usual persona.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-27, 02:52 PM
Joe and Spoony are damn hammy, but they pull it off pretty enjoyably. Paw's surprisingly good at hamming it up, as well. Film Brain's funny, as always, and JewWario cracked me up. The weird thing about Doug, though, is in his own content, he's perfectly funny, but in specials, he just seems amateurish, in a bad way.

Brad and (maybe) Lindsay, though, are pretty good actors in their own right, cheese or no. And Nella'd better show up. :smallannoyed:

Dr.Epic
2011-06-27, 03:56 PM
Did anyone else start laughing uncontrollably when Handsome Tom said he was Willow?:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:: smallbiggrin: Tell me no one thought that's who he was. And I honestly thought Luke was going to be Ron.

All and all, can't really complain about the characters. Glad the Rockbiter made it in there, but no Thor? Man, if his film just came out a few months earlier we could have had someone smashing coffee mugs in a diner and going into pet shops asking for giant birds to ride.

Zevox
2011-06-27, 04:34 PM
Did anyone else start laughing uncontrollably when Handsome Tom said he was willow? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:
:thog: thog not get reference...

I have no idea who Willow is...

Zevox

Rappy
2011-06-27, 04:34 PM
I did enjoy this first part, but there were two points that kind of irked me:

What was up with the whole technophobia skit at the start, there? Unless it's a plot point or they just felt like diverting from Harry Dresden's characterization (since it's a guy in a costume, not Dresden himself transported from another world or something), it seemed a bit random to me.
Phelous' rockbiter voice. Just...Phelous' rockbiter voice.

Otherwise, good, nerdly fun. I especially enjoyed Linkara's Sharpie-stache, Joe and Paw's hammery, and the Critic's heroic pose as the classic Legend of Zelda theme played.

EDIT:

Zevox
The decidedly not-tall titular character of one of George Lucas' forays outside of Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Zevox
2011-06-27, 04:36 PM
What was up with the whole technophobia skit at the start, there? Unless it's a plot point or they just felt like diverting from Harry Dresden's characterization (since it's a guy in a costume, not Dresden himself transported from another world or something), it seemed a bit random to me.
I would assume it's a plot point, seeing as the trailer and what we saw of him here indicated that guy was the villain of the story.

Zevox

Rappy
2011-06-27, 05:17 PM
I would assume it's a plot point, seeing as the trailer and what we saw of him here indicated that guy was the villain of the story.

Zevox
Indeed. I just tend to be a little overanalytic at times.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-27, 06:10 PM

Zevox

Willow is a character from a George Lucas film called, well, Willow. It's really funny when you consider how tall Tom is and the act who played Willow looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Warwick_Davis_interviewed_2.jpg

No wonder I couldn't figure out who he was.

IthilanorStPete
2011-06-27, 06:23 PM
Oddly, that makes more sense than the Willow I thought he was referencing - the Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Reverent-One
2011-06-27, 06:58 PM
Tom's costume really is a rather poor one though, as this is what Willow looks like in the movie:

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/06/willow-warwick-davies.jpg

Tom's got a cloak and is wearing a blue shirt (one that's a much lighter shade of blue though), and that's about it. Oh well, it was an enjoyable opening. Though was I the only one thinking that for all the techophobe talk the lost matrix character had to say, he's wearing a bunch of clothing that was certainly machine made?

averagejoe
2011-06-27, 07:19 PM
Eh, he's certainly good at hamming it up, but not much more so than many of the others I'd say (Spoony and Doug in particular). I stopped watching his show a while ago myself simply because our tastes in video games rarely align. But I do enjoying seeing him in these types of things, I'll certainly give him that.

With Joe it's more natural, and he really sells it. When Doug hams it up he might as well be saying, "I'm comically hamming things up with my comical ham voice." Have to agree with Moff about Doug as well. And Spoony... he should learn some breath control techniques and we can go from there. And also he should rely less on the whole Dr. Insano thing so much.

Usually Phelous is one of my favorites, but he just seemed kind of annoying in this one.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-27, 07:50 PM
What's wrong with Spoony's acting? The fact that he's squeaking like a little girl and running out of breath when he's yelling is hilarious, and I don't want him to change that. Besides, he's an Ill Boy, I don't think if any exercises would help.
Dr Insano doesn't show too often in Spoony's more recent videos, it's mostly occassional cameos at this point. Although I don't see anything wrong with him, either. He's amusing.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-27, 08:05 PM
Dr Insano doesn't show too often in Spoony's more recent videos, it's mostly occassional cameos at this point. Although I don't see anything wrong with him, either. He's amusing.

Forget Insano. I want to see 80's Dan make an appearance.

averagejoe
2011-06-27, 08:10 PM
What's wrong with Spoony's acting? The fact that he's squeaking like a little girl and running out of breath when he's yelling is hilarious, and I don't want him to change that. Besides, he's an Ill Boy, I don't think if any exercises would help.

Insano is a little funny, but he's basically one joke that nothing ever happens with. Even if he doesn't show up very often (and I don't even really watch Spoony's videos) I've gotten tired of seeing him.

As for the other stuff, I dunno. From what you said I suspect I just don't get it.

Mx.Silver
2011-06-27, 08:23 PM
Tom's costume really is a rather poor one though

I think that's kind of the point :smalltongue:

Just_Ice
2011-06-27, 08:29 PM
I kind of think that Phelous is here to punish the audience. He's revelling in every second of it. It's better than Sage usually is, at least.

Considering the nature of his reviewing, I wouldn't put it past him. Still, I don't think it works.

I have a feeling Suburban Knights is going to be pretty weak, and this part one kind of supports that feeling. Molossia had the "Nazis or Nazis" and the phone gag in the first episode, but this one doesn't have much on that level, and I don't think I actually laughed throughout. Joe's "free car" reaction is priceless, though.

Zevox
2011-06-27, 08:51 PM
With Joe it's more natural, and he really sells it.
...but isn't the point of hammy acting that it's goofy and unnatural?

And also he should rely less on the whole Dr. Insano thing so much.
Rely? Insano barely shows up - if anything, he's under-used. Heck, if I recall Spoony said in his commentary to something (Kickassia I think) that he was deliberately using him very little out of fear of people getting tired of him. Which is a pity, he's a very entertaining character. I loved the two reviews Spoony did fully in his Insano persona.

Zevox

KnightDisciple
2011-06-27, 09:17 PM
I really enjoyed part one. Got plenty of laughs out of me. Spoony and Joe at the beginning were particularly fun. Jewario as Jareth/David Bowie is a nice touch, the lucky son-of-a-gun.
Also, my crushing on Marzgurl continues.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-27, 11:38 PM
Meh, part one was better than two, but two was still funny.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-28, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that's Nella.

Spoony was great in that one, I gotta say. And as cute as MarzGurl is, she can't act worth a damn... I mean, more so than any of the other ones.

Zevox
2011-06-28, 02:10 AM
Pretty much my thoughts. I really liked Spoony going OOC with the "Cloak," and there was the occasional other funny moment in the rest, but on the whole I wasn't laughing nearly as much as during part 1.

Though am I the only one that was distracted by the fact that Spoony's wearing a Star Sapphire ring? I guess that's supposed to be Narya, but as a GL fan I can't help but think of it as a Star Sapphire ring instead, and how odd it is to see someone dressed as Gandalf wearing one. And how hilarious it would be for him to start acting like it actually were a Star Sapphire ring.*

(Also can't help but think it a bit odd that he'd want to have a prop for Narya, since Gandalf kept it invisible until after the One Ring was destroyed and it lost its power. Guess it's just there for the geeky reference.)

*Edit: Ooo, no, wait, better idea: give Ma-ti a Star Sapphire ring! Then he can have his power of "heart" and kick ass too. :smallwink:

Zevox

Rappy
2011-06-28, 02:30 AM
I kind of think that Phelous is here to punish the audience. He's revelling in every second of it. It's better than Sage usually is, at least.
Nah, I'd say it's just an unintentional side-effect of Phelous only having two voice settings: apathetic Phelous and sarcastic Phelous.

Agreed.

More thoughts on Part 2, in no particularly coherent order at this hour:
Tom repeating "I'm Willow" kind of fell flat on me, as did most of the Cat sequence.

I enjoyed Lupa's verbal castration of the Critic. The followup, not so much, but that's just me.

Poor Linkara can't seem to get a break with his singing. Alas, he has been bestowed with the power of Butt Monkey.

Ooh, diss on World of Darkness compared to D&D. A well-aimed blow indeed, Spoony the Gray.

Also, am I the only one disappointed that the head Cloak Spoony and company encountered was
apparently the Last Angry Geek? Alas, it looks like he won't be having combat with Linkara any time soon.

Zevox
2011-06-28, 02:32 AM
Also, am I the only one disappointed that the head Cloak Spoony and company encountered was
apparently the Last Angry Geek? Alas, it looks like he won't be having combat with Linkara any time soon.
:smallconfused: Where'd you hear that? I hadn't even considered him as a possibility, I thought it was either Nella or LordKat.

Zevox

Rappy
2011-06-28, 02:33 AM
:smallconfused: Where'd you hear that? I hadn't even considered him as a possibility, I thought it was either Nella or LordKat.

Zevox
It sounded like his voice to me. As I said, it could just be my ears deceiving me.

Zevox
2011-06-28, 02:36 AM
It sounded like his voice to me. As I said, it could just be my ears deceiving me.
Hm, I'd thought the voices sounded dubbed myself, and as such didn't necessarily come from the guys playing the characters. Though that may just be the fact that I can't see their mouths moving playing tricks on me.

Zevox

Rappy
2011-06-28, 02:43 AM
Hm, I'd thought the voices sounded dubbed myself, and as such didn't necessarily come from the guys playing the characters. Though that may just be the fact that I can't see their mouths moving playing tricks on me.

Zevox
They could always utterly mess with our heads in multiple ways, so who knows? I guess it's best to wait and see.

Tengu_temp
2011-06-28, 03:34 AM
All I know about the cloaks' voices is that the one on the right (our right, not their right) sounded so much like Iron Liz. And we know for a fact that she's participating, so...

Dr.Epic
2011-06-28, 08:01 AM
Pretty much my thoughts. I really liked Spoony going OOC with the "Cloak," and there was the occasional other funny moment in the rest, but on the whole I wasn't laughing nearly as much as during part 1

Meh, I say those LARP jokes coming a mile away so I didn't think they were that funny. I liked more the stuff with people acting in character. Like the NC saying "Excuse me princess," or CS saying "You belong in a museum." Also loved the pea bit between Luke and FB. And as always, Tom and Willow was hilarious.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-06-28, 11:24 AM
I tend to enjoy these things a lot more when it's all one package together (for example, I love Kickassia TWICE as much as a full movie on DVD, but the individual parts bored me on occasion) but part 2 was kinda "meh". Not bad, by any strech of the word, and I have a great feeling that the best is yet to come in the following 5 parts to this. We still have a long way to go and plenty time for hilarity and awesomeness.

I heard Linkara confirmed Iron Liz was one of the cloaks, and I believe Last Angry Geek confirmed himself as the main cloak (I can't cite that, so it's not offical or anything). His...ugh...Generous build and distinct voice would support that theory. I'm also speculating the third cloak is Lindsay's friend, the one who plays Dr. Tease. That means Nella, if she is participating, has yet to come.

If it is Last Angry Geek as the middle cloak, I think that's kind of an odd role. I can understand casting the supporting characters of other people's shows as the evil mooks, but Last Angry Geek is a full-scale reviewer and a prominent member of the site since the beginning. :smallconfused:

I hope I'm not the only one who's worried about getting sick of the whole "meta and fourth wall breaking jokes" theme that seems to hang over the entire special and the crossovers that happened out of it. And that NChick's montage punch was an annoying cop-out (though I am glad she at least got in on the action and fought this time instead of hanging in the shadows, waiting to strike, only for a huge anti-climax making her scenes pointless like in Kickassia).

Nick-picking aside, it really is exciting to get a new video of this epic crossover for 7 days straight. I hope I'm not the only one comparing it to Christmas, waking up early to see the new present, only for 7 days instead of 1. It's really exciting! :smallbiggrin:

Querzis
2011-06-28, 05:32 PM
...but isn't the point of hammy acting that it's goofy and unnatural?

Goofy yes, unnatural definitly not. Does this means you dont know any Large Ham in real life? When I watch Brian Blessed play any character, I have absolutely no trouble believing that hes just as hammy in real life. And its the same thing with Angry Joe, his hammyness seems very natural.

Also, its really obvious that JewWario is having so much fun playing David Bowie and judging from the comments on the videos, hes gaining a lot of fangirls with that (which make me happy cause I have been told often I really look like him).

Shadow of the Sun
2011-06-28, 06:36 PM
The main thing that's bothering me with the special so far is, indeed, the over-reliance on fourth wall breaking. I mean, I get that the plot is rather silly and that joking about it is okay, but my suspenders of disbelief are not the most hardy of pants, and are close to falling down.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-28, 08:34 PM
I kind of wish the groups encountered the other's obstacle. Tell me you wouldn't love to see Spoony as Gandalf roleplay with a hand puppet and name drop LARP terms? And the other group has a Link, King Arthur, and Conan cosplayer. It'd be kind of cool to see those three go up against the three cloaked guys. That's just my opinion.

I think the second part wasn't as good was because there wasn't much in terms of plot. The two teams just had a random encounter. The first part we got the beginning and setups for who each character was.

Zevox
2011-06-28, 08:54 PM
I think the second part wasn't as good was because there wasn't much in terms of plot. The two teams just had a random encounter. The first part we got the beginning and setups for who each character was.
No, no for me it's definitely that the jokes weren't as funny. I couldn't care less about the plot, really - as far as I'm concerned it's just an excuse for the funny stuff to happen.

Zevox

KnightDisciple
2011-06-28, 09:05 PM
I dunno. I though Gandoony vs Cloaks was pretty funny; less because of the content, and more because of Gandoony. The way he "stepped out of character" sold it pretty well for me. Yeah, I didn't laugh quite as much, but still.

Marzgurl crush continues.

That said, this was definitely a "connector" episode. It's pretty clear it's bridging things from the opening to the next episode down the line. Which is okay, it's gonna happen. It's the nature of the beast.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-29, 12:29 AM
The third part is definitely an improvement. I loved the Chester A. Bum cameo. Also the stuff on the playground was hysterical. Brad's Indie parts were funny too. I am disappointed they're getting shorter.

Zevox
2011-06-29, 12:48 AM
Eh, I'd say it was a drop for me. There were a couple of funny jokes, but nothing much. Not sure why they're doing such a long action sequence when they obviously don't have any sort of choreography for it.

Zevox

Helanna
2011-06-29, 12:53 AM
I liked this one more than the second part. This is possibly solely because of Todd. I am loving him in this.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-29, 12:59 AM
Todd was great in this one, which was a nice surprise, but Spoony and Joe carried the whole thing. I have a feeling I'll be saying that a lot. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2011-06-29, 01:52 AM
Well, part 3 was much more fun than part 2. But yeah, I hope that they will stop getting shorter and shorter. Parts 2 and 3 were together as long as part 1!

Am I the only one who likes the second group much more than the first? It just has so many more reviewers I like and follow, and has more of both ham and snark in general.

Zevox
2011-06-29, 02:00 AM
Am I the only one who likes the second group much more than the first? It just has so many more reviewers I like and follow, and has more of both ham and snark in general.
Eh, I'm pretty much even on each group I think. The three I follow regularly are Doug, Linkara, and Spoony, two of which are the group leaders, while Linkara hasn't really done a lot so far. The others I either watch sporadically, when I notice a review they have that sounds interesting, or in a few cases don't watch at all, and I think even those are evenly split between the groups for me.

Zevox

Green-Shirt Q
2011-06-29, 07:36 AM
Points taken away for looking like they were trying to hit the swords with their swords whenever they fought, several points given for hilarious writting. Todd was hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Querzis
2011-06-29, 10:24 AM
Ok Todd was hilarious. Also the Last Crusade parody with Marzgurl and the goat porn part. I'm loving this, part 3 was so much funnier then part 2 in my opinion.

Rappy
2011-06-29, 01:50 PM
Okay, rundown of episode 3.

I liked:

The triumphant return of Ma-Ti...only for him to be sent off on a quest even more nonsensical than the last.
The whole tunic talk with Lupa, NChick, and the Critic (even if it's technically not true-to-character since Link wears tights, it still amused me).
Chester A. Bum's cameo.
The chase scene, cheesiness and all.
Todd's attempt to weasel his way out of the Cloak combat.
The majority of the Cloak fight, really.

I disliked:

Linkara's limited scope.
Phelous.
The end of the playground battle. Something about it just irked me.

Ah well, more pros than cons for me this time. That's a hopeful sign.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-29, 10:51 PM
4 wasn't quite as good as 3, but entertaining nonetheless. Filmbrain's always funny. :smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2011-06-30, 12:34 AM
4 wasn't quite as good as 3, but entertaining nonetheless. Filmbrain's always funny. :smallbiggrin:
It was better than 3 for me personally - perhaps also 2. The whole sequence with the blagole guy's cameo was pretty funny for a couple straight minutes there. As was Joe's "my name is Inigo Montoya mother*******" (though they really shouldn't have spoiled part of that surprise with the screenshot for this part). Can't really say much for the first group's part in this one though.

Also, the Matrix reject guy (we really need either a name for that character or the name of the guy playing him) returning the map and then just vanishing has me almost interested in the plot. Did not see that coming. Though did we really need to rehash the part with him killing someone over technology? I think we kind of got the message on that one with the opening scene, thanks, and this second one didn't tell us anything the first didn't.

Zevox

Tengu_temp
2011-06-30, 01:52 AM
Woo, Gate Cleaner.

Winterwind
2011-06-30, 12:54 PM
I had been wondering what family member/vague associate Joe would accuse the Cloaks of murdering this time. I did not see that line coming. That got a good laugh out of me. :smallbiggrin:

And yeah, the Man In Black* is getting more interesting every time. Quite looking forward to seeing what they came up with here, though knowing them, I kinda fear they may deliberately go for a complete anti-climax...

* Yeah, every single time I see him, the phrase "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed" keeps flashing through my mind. It makes him even more eerie. :smalleek:

hanzo66
2011-06-30, 12:58 PM
Been watching this so far. Got me thinking...

Spoilered because I'm afraid that this will cause Religious discussions, which I'd rather not start.

Was the reason that the Distressed Watcher not a part of the montage in Kickassia due to the fact that he'd likely be genuinely offended and angry at having to say "I believe in Santa Christ"? Just seems that way to me since he seems to be one of the more genuinely angry of the site critics. That or he's busy at the time/couldn't do it due to other stuff like other people not in the cameo.

And I do wonder when's the time where they bunch up the Random Cameos. It's an inevitability.

Moff Chumley
2011-06-30, 01:12 PM

Spoilered because I'm afraid that this will cause Religious discussions, which I'd rather not start.

Was the reason that the Distressed Watcher not a part of the montage in Kickassia due to the fact that he'd likely be genuinely offended and angry at having to say "I believe in Santa Christ"? Just seems that way to me since he seems to be one of the more genuinely angry of the site critics. That or he's busy at the time/couldn't do it due to other stuff like other people not in the cameo.

And I do wonder when's the time where they bunch up the Random Cameos. It's an inevitability.

I gotta guess the second option. He has his hands full as a Youtube ideologue, and I'm pretty sure TGWTG comes in lower than his Amazing Atheist career. :smalltongue:

hanzo66
2011-06-30, 01:54 PM
Oh OK. Sorry for that weird bit of thought.

Still, I'm kinda impressed at the costumes. More out of "Huh, they make those?" than anything else. They're honestly kinda spiffy. Didn't even know they made a Profion costume (or it's just Generic Wizard Robe 21 from a costume shop). I also wonder which ones are store-bought and which ones are home-made.

Handsome Tom as Willow is pretty fun just out of the awkwardness of it all. The "Arwen Montage" almost got me fooled for it being actual "Elvish" (or at least elvish-sounding gibberish) until like 30 seconds in.

Zevox
2011-06-30, 01:55 PM

I don't know much about the Distressed Watcher, but why couldn't he just have done a gag like That Jewish Guy did during that segment? :smallconfused:

Zevox

Rappy
2011-06-30, 04:11 PM
As with the last episode, I'll give a minor rundown of my likes and dislikes.

Liked:
The Good Witch of the Woods.
Linkara's verbal laceration of the Critic.
The reaction to Spoony's map loss.
The epic (and absurd) return of the Gate Cleaner, and the introduction of his wife.
The returning of the map. First scene so far with Orlando Dresden that I haven't been apathetic toward or disliked.
Team 2's rematch against the Cloaks. "Unleash the fire of a thousand arrows!" "You mean the machine gun?"
The sudden and inevitable betrayal, which is to be cursed.

Disliked:
Orlando Dresden's repetition of the technophobia shtick. I'm hoping there's a big payoff to those scenes...
Team 1 still isn't doing much as far as the plot goes. Sure, they met the Good Witch of the Woods and Phelous lost the action figures in the process (YES!!), but there's just not much going on with them.

Wow, only two active dislikes this time around? Maybe part 5 can whittle that number down even more.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-30, 04:34 PM
I disliked:

Linkara's limited scope.
Phelous.
The end of the playground battle. Something about it just irked me.

Ah well, more pros than cons for me this time. That's a hopeful sign.

What? I loved the entirety of the playground battle. Especially the ending. The woman and child interrupt them. They move and complain about the new one not being as cool as the first. How everyone just ditches the cloaks at the end.

Fourth was a disappointment. It had it's moments, but 12 minutes? Really? They promised this would be more epic than Kickassia, and unless the next three installments are at least 20 minutes each, I'm ruling Kickassia was more epic.

IthilanorStPete
2011-06-30, 04:44 PM
Where did the Gate Cleaner first appear?

Rappy
2011-06-30, 05:33 PM
What? I loved the entirety of the playground battle. Especially the ending. The woman and child interrupt them. They move and complain about the new one not being as cool as the first.
And that threw me out of the moment, as it were. As I said, I can't explain why, it just did.

Where did the Gate Cleaner first appear?
Spoony's videos. Specifically, his reviews of the video board game series Atmosfear/Nightmare.

Helanna
2011-06-30, 08:40 PM
About Orlando's character - he seems to tolerate people right up until they start using too much technology. And when he caught up with the group, all of our 'heroes' are dressed as fantasy characters and aren't using any technology (except maybe Paw's headphones). So I wonder what would happen if Orlando found out that they all make a living off of the internet . . . it's an interesting thought at any rate.

Lateral
2011-06-30, 08:49 PM
About Orlando's character - he seems to tolerate people right up until they start using too much technology. And when he caught up with the group, all of our 'heroes' are dressed as fantasy characters and aren't using any technology (except maybe Paw's headphones). So I wonder what would happen if Orlando found out that they all make a living off of the internet . . . it's an interesting thought at any rate.

Actually, this is a pretty good theory. Although, if they were to do this, where could they go from there? I mean, he'd just ask those weird, existential questions again and kill them all.

...I liked Chester A. Bum's cameo. Heh.

Jamin
2011-06-30, 08:54 PM
What? I loved the entirety of the playground battle. Especially the ending. The woman and child interrupt them. They move and complain about the new one not being as cool as the first. How everyone just ditches the cloaks at the end.

It kills any weight to the scene. In fact things like that just make the whole thing feel silly and unneeded if they wanted for it just be abnout the humor than why to hammer in a story at all.

Dr.Epic
2011-06-30, 09:01 PM
It kills any weight to the scene. In fact things like that just make the whole thing feel silly and unneeded if they wanted for it just be abnout the humor than why to hammer in a story at all.

Are we watching the same story about guys cosplaying to find a macguffin in which one group fought a guy with a handpuppet?

Zevox
2011-06-30, 09:02 PM
Because you need context for the humor to occur in, of course. (Not that I'm a big fan of that particular scene, but the answer to your question there just seems self-evident.)

Zevox

Green-Shirt Q
2011-06-30, 09:08 PM
I was beginning to think that this whole special turned out to be disappointing. I was beginning to lose hope...

Then I saw part 5 (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/31529-suburban-knights-part-5). Holy. Crap. :biggrin:

Have no fear, everyone. This is going to be AWESOME.

Jamin
2011-06-30, 09:20 PM
Are we watching the same story about guys cosplaying to find a macguffin in which one group fought a guy with a handpuppet?

Yes sadly. I am not a fan of this. It is funny but I just can not be invested in the story when it has no weight to it. I don't see the point of story. Than again part 5 lacked the idiotic 4-wall breaks that made the rest of show not very good. So maybe by the end I will like it.

Zevox
2011-06-30, 09:26 PM
I was beginning to think that this whole special turned out to be disappointing. I was beginning to lose hope...

Then I saw part 5 (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/31529-suburban-knights-part-5). Holy. Crap. :biggrin:

Have no fear, everyone. This is going to be AWESOME.
Eh, part 5 was okay for me. Scattered truly funny jokes, and more that drew at least a chuckle out of me than in most of the parts since the first, but nothing as funny as the Gate Cleaner from the last part. Though I guess I might be more excited if I cared about That Dude in Suede showing up. Haven't ever watched his videos though, since I'm not an anime fan, so it's kind of hard for me to care about that.

Zevox

Tengu_temp
2011-06-30, 10:00 PM
Film Brain makes half of Part 5 for me. You Know Who makes the other half.

Rappy
2011-06-30, 11:15 PM
I remember someone totally calling the big surprise of this video as early as last year. To whoever that was (or they were, as it may be), congrats!

Anyway...mind = blown. And for consistency, my likes and dislikes, albeit in the spoily box since I actually watched it on time again.

Liked:
Phelous suffering.
Ma-Ti's reappearance.
"Elvish magic" failure.
Jaffers.
Phelous being yelled at.
More Jaffers.
Phelous being shot at.
Cloak Film Brain.
The Nostalgia Critic's epiphany-by-Cucco.
Suede!

Disliked:
Orlando Dresden/Malakite doing the techno-shtick yet a third time. Ah well, at least we got an Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom homage out of it.

It may be because I've watched the site since it was somewhat fledgling, but I absolutely loved this part. Huzzah!

Sinfonian
2011-06-30, 11:33 PM
I remember someone totally calling the big surprise of this video as early as last year. To whoever that was (or they were, as it may be), congrats!

Anyway...mind = blown. And for consistency, my likes and dislikes, albeit in the spoily box since I actually watched it on time again.
/snip
It may be because I've watched the site since it was somewhat fledgling, but I absolutely loved this part. Huzzah!
To be fair, I wasn't particularly surprised by the reappearance of Seude. He left for missionary work, as his religion required, and they usually last about 2 years. His return wouldn't have been that long before the filming of the 3rd anniversary, so it made sense for people who remembered his existence to expect him back.

I thought this one was okay, but I'm still not really sold on the whole event. I liked the premise quite a bit, but there's something that seems missing from the writing in this one. Some jokes and characters are funny (Joe, Todd, Cinema Snob) and others are...not (Phelous and Marzgirl, though for these I admit much of it is personal taste). The problem for me is that while the bad stuff is really bad, the good stuff only seems to be okay.

As others have said, I imagine this one will be better when you can watch the whole thing continuously, but it just doesn't seem quite as good as Kickassia (which I enjoyed). I came in with high hopes for this event, and I'm hoping that things get better and that my view point will moderate on a second, more complete, viewing experience.

I'm guessing the next episode will be mostly Team B, since we didn't check in with them in this installment.

Lord Seth
2011-07-01, 12:31 AM
Though I guess I might be more excited if I cared about That Dude in Suede showing up. Haven't ever watched his videos though, since I'm not an anime fan, so it's kind of hard for me to care about thatI've never seen the big deal about the guy myself, his videos were okay but he seemed pretty average to me. I think the main reason he really got attention is because he was like the first guy to join the site (not counting Doug himself). If he had joined a bit later, I doubt he'd be remembered by that many.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-07-01, 08:02 AM
Eh, part 5 was okay for me. Scattered truly funny jokes, and more that drew at least a chuckle out of me than in most of the parts since the first, but nothing as funny as the Gate Cleaner from the last part. Though I guess I might be more excited if I cared about That Dude in Suede showing up. Haven't ever watched his videos though, since I'm not an anime fan, so it's kind of hard for me to care about that.

Zevox

I relate, since I don't actually care about him either and I never seen his videos. Still, his reapperance was anticipated for a LONG time now by others, and they even went out of their way to make sure it was a surprise (read the original post where I said they deconfirmed his apperance).

It was just a (personally) hilarious re-entry (the whole "defeat means friendship" thing parodied was spectacular) and I'm happy for all the fans who desperately waited his return. That's mainly what made this such a feel-good episode. Feeling happiness for all the other fans, and imagining their reaction. Similar to how I would feel if, I don't know, Nostalgia Critic left for such a long time and was finally able to return, you can imagine the absolute delight a lot of people had about this.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-01, 09:35 PM
Well, part 6 has a lot of what we want most from those videos - big battles with ridiculously bad choreography and heaps upon heaps of What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome. We also learned what cameo role AVGN got this year. And LordKat.

Also, combined attacks by Film Brain and Luke, and by Todd and Paw. Hell yeah.

Zevox
2011-07-01, 11:07 PM
Well, part 6 has a lot of what we want most from those videos -
Not really. Too much plot and not nearly enough funny in this one for me. Though were several pretty darn good jokes at the end of it, I'll give it that. Especially Obscurus Lupa randomly showing up wearing a leather jacket and grabbing one of Joe's guns. About time she did something useful in this - I was beginning to get irritated that she had been given such a useless character to play.

Though after hearing Malachite's backstory, I now really want him to get beaten by Doctor Insano. Or at least have them meet. I mean, really, that couldn't help but be hilarious.

Zevox

Rappy
2011-07-02, 12:24 AM
Hey kids, it's once again time to play...

Liked it or Not?!

Well, not really play so much as me pontificating, but whatever.

Liked:

"My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my hamster."
Spoony's intuition on the box with the Voice.
The Snob's aggressive diplomacy.
Crazy knight Jaffers.
The reforged "Gauntlet".
The Critic's cheesy morale speech.
The Link grunt!
The Team 1 vs. Team Evil (and Jaffers) battle in general, but especially Benzaie's He-Man failure, the Critic's blade antics, Lupa's random strategy, Suede and Linkara's epic moves, and Phelous losing to a Photoshop reject.
The cameo of LordKrom.
The Two Towers epic charge.

Disliked:

The life force clause. How exactly does this affect the existing magic users in the Reviewniverse? I guess it could have no real connection, since plot is mutable and all, but as I've said before, I can be a bit anal retentive at times.

Was Especially and Noteworthily Apathetic About:

The origin of Malachite's hatred, even it was sort of akin to the old tale of Zeus, Hera, and Tiresias...in a very, very vague way.

hanzo66
2011-07-02, 01:32 AM
The fight scene is kinda like the swordfighting equivalent of sissyslapping each other. Which is why it's so entertaining.

And on the plot, I kinda chose not to take it so seriously considering the material, but the backstory would actually make an interesting one for a more serious piece of work. The idea of an almighty Power Glove is just great.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-02, 01:40 AM
Okay, part 6 is my favorite part so far, but unless the finale is something really big, I'm still inclined to say Kickassia was more epic.

Jamin
2011-07-02, 02:24 AM
I've never seen the big deal about the guy myself, his videos were okay but he seemed pretty average to me. I think the main reason he really got attention is because he was like the first guy to join the site (not counting Doug himself). If he had joined a bit later, I doubt he'd be remembered by that many.

It was him leaving that made many look at his stuff. just saying

Dr.Epic
2011-07-02, 03:29 AM
So who thinks Mati is going to end up saving the day in the finale? I kind of thought he might after seeing the first part. I mean, he was in Kickassia but he didn't do anything. He's a recurring character so maybe part one was just his cameo like Chester A. Bum or that Guy with the Glasses. But now seeing he's been in multiple episodes he's probably gonna end up saving the day and this annoys me. It's way too expected. I could see it coming from the first part. If they wanted to do this, then not have him in any parts until the finale. Just pull him out from nowhere. Have it be completely random, no buildup. He's just there to deliver the coup de grace and save someone from the big bad.

Shadow of the Sun
2011-07-02, 05:04 AM
For me, in part six, the best bit was JewWario's contribution to the big fight via unzipping his pants.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-07-02, 06:41 AM
I really enjoyed part 6. We're coming to a close on this year's movie, and my thoughts so far...

I'm really liking it. I think I like Kickassia's carefully planned epic set-pieces for each episode rather than the entire epic story, but I like that too. I also have a feeling they did that to try and appease all the complaining nerds out there who hated Kickassia because it didn't have that much of a good story. As for the jokes, while some fell flat the entire way through (such as usually ANY good comedy and Kickassia) but there were plenty of times I laughed through every part to make it worthwhile.

WHich is better so far? Kickassia or Suburban Knights? I can't say for certain yet without having seen a marathon of all the parts of Suburban Knights fron to back, but I would have to say Kickassia is winning.

Which isn't a bad thing. I don't understand out mentality of "it has to be better than before or else it sucks!!!!" The whole special is really funny and it serves it's purposes, and we should really be judging it by it's own merits entirely. And, for anybody who's still judging it against Kickassia, Suburban Knights does have better production values. That's improvement in one way. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2011-07-02, 02:12 PM
Jewario made this one for me. :smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2011-07-02, 02:55 PM
I've found the entire thing to be consistently hilarious.

Though I think today's LotR parodies (especially JewWario's...spell) have been the highlight, because that sort of humour is the one that makes me laugh hardest.

Rappy
2011-07-02, 05:32 PM
Though I think today's LotR parodies (especially JewWario's...spell) have been the highlight, because that sort of humour is the one that makes me laugh hardest.
The powers imbued by Jareth the Goblin King's form are formidable indeed.

Dienekes
2011-07-02, 08:30 PM
So finales up.

It goes more or less as expected. There are some decent jokes at the end, but overall part 6 was my favorite bit.

Of the two specials I give the edge to Kickassia but this was fun and enjoyable and I can't wait to see what they do next year.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-02, 09:00 PM
Kickassia was better, overall, but I did quite enjoy Suburban Knights. I'm not thrilled with Doug's ability to write for other reviewers that much, I guess, and with any luck, next year they'll be able to contribute more.

EDIT: Just rewatching a couple of minutes of Kickassia, and it was... leaps and bounds better than Suburban Knights, any way you look at it aside from plot and production values. Which were hardly Suburban Knights's strong points, either. :smalltongue:

Green-Shirt Q
2011-07-02, 09:03 PM
Indeed.

It had it's ups and it's downs, but all in all a pretty darn good TGWTG movie and I'll be more than glad to purchase it on DVD when it comes out. And will be waiting for what they do for next year hoping that it'll have the story telling skills and production values of this special as well as the slightly superior humour of Kickassia.

Still, for the ending, I was really expecting Ma-ti to be brought back to life at the last minute by the magic book Team 1 found Jaffers in. Jaffers specifically mentions the Resurrection spell is where he left off in the book, so I don't know why they mentioned that if they weren't going to bring it back later for Ma-ti.

Also, while a few lines of it would've been alright, ripping off THE ENTIRE scene from Wrath of Kahn was a little overboard in my opinion.

Lord Seth
2011-07-02, 10:31 PM
Well I just saw the last two parts.

I think this one was definitely inferior to Kickassia. Kickassia had a real narrative to it, it seemed to qualify as a story to me. This one seemed like a bunch of random stuff thrown together and barely strung together. That could have worked in the same way Monty Python and the Holy Grail worked, but it just didn't have the charm that film did, and more importantly it seemed unsure whether it wanted to be a comedy or a drama. Kickassia stayed fairly comedic the whole way through, and any drama was supplemented by comedy, e.g. the death of Santa Christ. This one had a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be dramatic without any comedy, and it went on way too long in the final part without having any jokes.

Not only that, a lot of this just felt like filler. Kickassia felt a lot more organic in its structure, whereas a bunch of stuff here just felt pointless and not really that funny.

I think this would've overall worked out better if it had been shorter, it just felt like they couldn't make it long enough so they threw in a bunch of filler and stretched things out unnecessarily.

Rappy
2011-07-02, 11:05 PM
Wow, it seems hardly like it's already time for the last "Likes and dislikes". It went by so fast...

Liked:

The Last Angry Geek's decloaking and running away while blatantly plugging his show.
Joe remembering who in Inigo Montoya's family was killed...only to flub Inigo's name.
Ma-Ti's fatalistic heroism. I knew it was probably coming thanks to the foreshadowing, but it was still a pleasant surprise.
Linkara's revision of Amazing Grace.
The Bum ending.

Disliked:

Poor Nella's suffering in NChick's stead.
Malachite's hypocrisy with the iPhone. Was that meant to be funny, exactly? I didn't laugh.

Overall thoughts: I found it superior to the First Anniversary Brawl (obviously), but neither inferior nor superior to Kickassia. It didn't quite meet the humor of Kickassia, but at the same time it wasn't disappointing to me. It met and exceeded my initial (admittedly somewhat cynical) expectations.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-02, 11:06 PM
Yeah, about the ending...

SAW IT COMING!!!

Still, part 7 was good. I liked part 6 the most. All in all, I think it's about as good as Kickassia.

Zevox
2011-07-02, 11:59 PM
Fairly good ending part, with some jokes that had me laughing pretty loud ("My name is Amigo Toyota." :smallbiggrin: ). On the whole though I still think part 1 was the best for me.

I've gotta wonder though, if Ma-ti's death here means they're officially retiring his running joke. Or do they not bother with that kind of continuity? It's not like Kickassia has been referenced in their shows ever (that I've seen anyway) outside of the brief advertisements for it when it was first being put on the site. Then again it didn't have anything that could affect a recurring joke/character like this either.

(Aside: I'm half of the mind that Spoony should've given Bargo his Star Sapphire ring for the "Heart" ring. The effects they used for that thing's powers were conveniently the right color for a Star Sapphire, and since Star Sapphire rings are powered by love, it fits the general theme. Dunno, maybe that's just me being a GL nerd.)

As for comparing it to Kickassia... eh. I haven't actually re-watched any part of Kickassia other than the Nostalgia Critic vs Doctor Insano fight since it was originally put up, so I can't say. Then again, I also don't really see myself re-watching any part of this except the first, so maybe they're about equal in that respect? *shrugs* Meh, either way I think I prefer the review videos to these sorts of specials anyway.

Though speaking of, I am really looking forward to the Spoony/Linkara crossover Warrior review. Since that didn't go up during the couple of months that other crossovers were I'm guessing there's some reason they wanted to wait until after Suburban Knights was done to post it, which should hopefully mean it'll be up soon.

Zevox

Tengu_temp
2011-07-03, 03:34 AM
I think this means we won't be seeing Ma-Ti for a long time. Bargo has his own videos now, and I think he wants to focus on being Bargo, not a character in other people's videos.

Overall, I liked the ending a lot, complete with the sudden mood swings. Were Suburban Knights better than Kickassia? Nah, but they were still fun. I'd list all the stuff I liked and disliked, but it's so late it's early so I'm gonna pass.

Aotrs Commander
2011-07-03, 06:21 AM
Was I the only one, then, who was in tears of laughter (metaphorically, 'cos, y'know, Lich) at the Wrath of Kahn spoof? I'm sorry to see Ma-Ti go, but damn that was so utterly hilarious. (Parody, is, I think, my favourite form of humour, or at least the one that makes me laugh most consistently.)

I, personally, have no complaints at all about this series, and every morning this week has had me in stiches.

It nevers ceases to amaze me how talented they all are.

WJMill
2011-07-03, 01:53 PM
It's about this time of the year that I really want to start making review videos and try to get on TGWTG just so I can be in the Anni videos.. But then again, it's a huge time sink and I don't know what I'd review that isn't already being done. Plus, I don't find myself all that inherently funny.

Anyway -- To the point:
I really enjoyed Suburban Knights. The references were great. The jokes were mostly great. I loved James' cameo as the Voice of the Ancients. I was almost in tears seeing Suede return, because I really enjoyed his videos and thought it was sad that he was going on hiatus. (And the Suede vs. Witch joke was great.) The woman who played the Witch (her name escapes me) was pretty great. I got some good laughs out of her. I just wonder how the neighbors felt having this going down right in their backyard. I had a great time watching it. I think they led up to next year's co-op at the end there, too.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-07-03, 02:09 PM
It's about this time of the year that I really want to start making review videos and try to get on TGWTG just so I can be in the Anni videos.. But then again, it's a huge time sink and I don't know what I'd review that isn't already being done. Plus, I don't find myself all that inherently funny.

Obviously, it is a huge time sink, but you would'nt get into the anniversary video right away. You'd have to be first picked up by the site, obviously, which usually starts with you getting noticed and selected for an Awesome Blog of the Week during Transmission Awesome, and then be popular enough to be picked for the anniversary.

Also, few people are funny right off the bat, and need practice and time for find their style before others find them funny. At least I hope that's how it works.

Anyway, I had the same idea as you. And I followed through on it and made a review show on Youtube (called Vest of Insecurity) (http://www.youtube.com/user/SeriousPeopleStudios). No time like the present to set things in motion for all of those things I mentioned to happen.

Currently pretty far from my goals, to say the least, but I'm not going to let a little thing like time stop me from trying.

Lateral
2011-07-03, 03:08 PM
Wow.

...I'd leave it at that, but I have to ask: Where were the LordKat and AVGN cameos I've heard about?

Tengu_temp
2011-07-03, 03:26 PM
AVGN was the Voice, aka the glowing ball of light. LordKat was Krom.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-03, 07:29 PM
So what are the odds we see Chester A. Bum go search for the Nerconomicon? 'Cause that might be kind of awesome.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-03, 07:30 PM
Onscreen? None. At most it will be alluded to in a gag.

Lateral
2011-07-03, 07:32 PM
So what are the odds we see Chester A. Bum go search for the Nerconomicon? 'Cause that might be kind of awesome.

It would. If they do, I'll bet they either make it a three-video crossover between a few of the different NC reviews, or they just make it a full-blown anniversary movie for next year.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-03, 07:50 PM
It would. If they do, I'll bet they either make it a three-video crossover between a few of the different NC reviews, or they just make it a full-blown anniversary movie for next year.

Nah, it'd be too long a wait for an anniversary thing.

Zevox
2011-07-03, 10:11 PM
Was I the only one, then, who was in tears of laughter (metaphorically, 'cos, y'know, Lich) at the Wrath of Kahn spoof? I'm sorry to see Ma-Ti go, but damn that was so utterly hilarious. (Parody, is, I think, my favourite form of humour, or at least the one that makes me laugh most consistently.)
Don't know about the only one, but it fell flat for me on account of me having never seen Wrath of Kahn (or any Star Trek anything, for that matter), so I didn't notice they were doing one. The only thing I'd recognize from that is if they had someone shout "KAHN!" or shouting another name in the same fashion (since so many reviewers have used that clip as a gag).

Zevox

Lord Seth
2011-07-03, 10:34 PM
Obviously, it is a huge time sink, but you would'nt get into the anniversary video right away. You'd have to be first picked up by the site, obviously, which usually starts with you getting noticed and selected for an Awesome Blog of the Week during Transmission Awesome, and then be popular enough to be picked for the anniversary.Is that how it happens? Because it seemed like the way you did it was to submit an application...though according to this (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15423) it seems as of April they don't accept online applications anymore due to getting so many, with only the somewhat vague "from this point forward, Channel Awesome will be looking for alternate means to recruit talent for different, more specialized projects."

At the moment it seems your best bet would probably be to try to strike out on your own or on another site, and hope you get enough attention that they invite you, or get enough popularity that you'd have some clout if they did open up applications again. Of course, the question is how to manage to get attention in the first place. You'll either need to do something that you other people aren't well known for doing (e.g. I didn't know of any music reviewers before Todd in the Shadows...there was Gladstone I guess, but that was only part of his "Hate By Numbers") or do what other people are doing but with something unique. The Star Wars prequels have been bashed to heck and back, but no one really did it with as much depth as Mike Stoklasa (RedLetterMedia) did, which was what got him so much attention.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-03, 11:59 PM
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my hamster."

hanzo66
2011-07-04, 01:35 AM
Well, I liked it as the silly little thing it's meant to be.

If nothing, they could always just have a "I got better" gag or a Zombie Ma-Ti gag. However that just seems kinda like a lame cop-out.

The little iPhone gag was kinda fun. It would certainly explain a little something about how Malecite has some decent knowledge of current technological trends despite going "TECHNOLOGY IS BAD AND MAKES YOU WEAK NOW YOU DIE!" in his rants. That or he jacked it off some guy he killed and decided "Huh. This 'Angry Birds' is quite amusing...".

WJMill
2011-07-04, 01:51 AM
Back when I was really interested in starting up my own show (I actually started out with written reviews, but they've scrapped the Articles section now so moot point), the way to get in was to post junk on the blogs or forums and get attention from Sean Fausz, Paw, or RolloT and get an Awesome Blog of the Week on Transmission Awesome. I don't know if it's that way anymore, as I haven't been following TA as much as I did before. I remember, back then at least (around year 2 anni video), that was the way to get on and that was the way that Michaud told people to get started was to post in the Blogs. I am technically a member of the TGWTG WikiTeam, but I've been in abstentia for a while now. I actually got called during the second TA Live, but I don't think they recorded that so it's a small moot fame..

Dr.Epic
2011-07-04, 02:13 AM
Back when I was really interested in starting up my own show (I actually started out with written reviews, but they've scrapped the Articles section now so moot point), the way to get in was to post junk on the blogs or forums and get attention from Sean Fausz, Paw, or RolloT and get an Awesome Blog of the Week on Transmission Awesome. I don't know if it's that way anymore, as I haven't been following TA as much as I did before. I remember, back then at least (around year 2 anni video), that was the way to get on and that was the way that Michaud told people to get started was to post in the Blogs. I am technically a member of the TGWTG WikiTeam, but I've been in abstentia for a while now. I actually got called during the second TA Live, but I don't think they recorded that so it's a small moot fame..

I actually know someone on the site that posts videos. I wouldn't say I'm a friend, more a friend of a friend.

Rappy
2011-07-04, 02:20 AM
Wait...WJMill! I thought that name sounded familiar. :smallbiggrin:

I actually know someone on the site that posts videos. I wouldn't say I'm a friend, more a friend of a friend.
I've corresponded with Linkara once. That's about the extent I've had with TGWTG, sans some Twitter shenanigans now and again.

Just_Ice
2011-07-04, 11:57 AM
There's not much to say except, "that was as meh as I expected". There were good bits, but partially due to the setting most of what should have been the good jokes were just "kinda ehn" shout-outs or references.

There was some good with the bad (as usual, Cinema Snob, Spoony, Joe and Nostalgia Critic got in the best stuff), but Phelous and Linkara were pretty wasted here. I don't really know how, but Sage managed to be even crappier than last time around; good thing he got even less screen time. Marzgurl and the two young'uns also probably could have used a little less existing. Paw kind of got the worst of a lot of it - chewing scenery is great and all, but having one line to repeat doesn't help much. He wasn't really significant in his previous crossover appearances either, though.

Nostalgia Chick was okay, but she didn't really have a "born-to-play" role like the poisonous Sarah Palin. Handsome Tom and 8-bit Mickey, JewWario, Todd and Lupa were all ok, but kind of just there. The antagonists were comparable.

I totally saw this mediocre follow-up to kickassia coming, but that's to be expected. Still, just a little more disappointing than I anticipated.

averagejoe
2011-07-04, 12:20 PM
but Phelous and Linkara were pretty wasted here.

Yeah, seriously. They're the two, other than Cinema Snob, and maybe Handsome Tom, who ever play straight man, which is an important role in such company.

I totally saw this mediocre follow-up to kickassia coming, but that's to be expected. Still, just a little more disappointing than I anticipated.

Honestly, I didn't have any real expectations, except where the actors were concerned. I remember being really pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Kickassia performances, but in this one it felt like they just kind of fell flat, even the ones who were good.

Part of it was the writing I think. Like, for example, I always love Angry Joe. The part where he thought he was getting a free car was probably my favorite part of this whole movie. But then for the rest he pretty much gets to repeat one joke over and over. It was a little funny when he pulled out a gun, and he got some other good bits, but by and large he got a repetitious joke that was only dubiously funny in the first place. Or the Nchick doing the elf magic joke three times, and not really getting to do much else. Running jokes can work (for example, in Kickassia when Lee was so impressed by being three dimensional was hilarious) but this one seemed made of running jokes, and not even clever ones that evolved over time. I can appreciate how hard it is to write for that many characters in a fairly compact story, but this seems like a bad way to go about it.

WJMill
2011-07-04, 01:00 PM

Same here. Lanipator lives in Minneapolis and goes to school with some of my high school friends. :p

Wait...WJMill! I thought that name sounded familiar. :smallbiggrin:

Woah, someone I don't know has heard of me. That's weird. X_x;

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-05, 12:47 PM
I don't have high standards for these videos, but liked this more than Kickassia. I didn't hate the jokes, and at least it had a plot. Kickassia just seemed like ******* about for 6 videos. I also like Ma-Ti much more than Santa Christ.

Lord Seth
2011-07-05, 01:40 PM
I don't have high standards for these videos, but liked this more than Kickassia. I didn't hate the jokes, and at least it had a plot.This seems like an odd complaint, considering I thought Kickassia had much more of a plot than this one. Neither had a particularly complex plot, but Kickassia had more if you ask me.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-09, 03:20 PM
This seems like an odd complaint, considering I thought Kickassia had much more of a plot than this one. Neither had a particularly complex plot, but Kickassia had more if you ask me.

Meh, the plot for both seem to be about equally complex (or lack there of).

Anyway, I feel like having a marathon of Suburban Knights some time soon. Maybe tomorrow.

averagejoe
2011-07-09, 04:42 PM
Meh, the plot for both seem to be about equally complex (or lack there of).

It's not really about complexity, I think, but there was more to the Kickassia plot and more driving it. SK has a pretty basic, "Find a MacGuffin with some sidequests to pad things out." Kickassia, while not more complex, had a few more things going for it, the largest IMO being that all the conflicts were directly about what they were trying to obtain. Every episode was directly about taking and holding the place, defending it and reacting to external and internal threats that had a direct relationship to what they wanted to attain. Meeting a puppet guy in the woods is all well and good for joke/padding fodder, but it really has nothing to do with the main story. No, not even if the puppet guy shows up at the end and is explained to have been working with one of the antagonists all along. Conflicts of this nature are pretty modular, and can usually be replaced with simply wandering around lost, especially in comedies where they're usually just used for a few jokes. The Kickassia plot had more of a backbone to it; each conflict arose as a consequence of the conflict that came before it, and each conflict in turn produced more conflicts.

The other thing the KA plot had going for it was the character subplots. The character arcs influenced and interwove with the main plot, and while they were usually pretty minor, SK's really didn't even have any character arcs at all. I mean, there was the filmbrain/other young guy thing, but that just kind of ran parallel to the plot, went basically nowhere, and as far as I remember was dropped completely. KA really did have much tighter writing than SK does.

Lateral
2011-07-10, 07:23 AM
Well, judging by the Transformers 3 review, it looks like the Necronomicon thing "happened" and is only going to be referenced to.

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-10, 09:54 AM
Kickassia was "Let's take over this place on a whim. Ok, now what? Arguing!"
Suburban Knights was "Find Macguffin, OMG VILLAIN, dramatic death" which is a little more like a cheesy movie.
I'm really not a fan of Santa Christ, so that brings Kickassia down in my eyes. Kickassia had some great jokes though.

0Megabyte
2011-07-10, 04:45 PM
Actually, though, the Santa Christ thing in Kickassia was really one of the funniest points.

"I believe in Santa Christ!" And then... nothing happens. (until later.) It was great.

Mystic Muse
2011-07-14, 05:36 PM
I really didn't like Nostalgia Chick or her Arwen spoof scenes. I felt like they were just tedious and annoying, not funny.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-29, 07:31 PM
I really didn't like Nostalgia Chick or her Arwen spoof scenes. I felt like they were just tedious and annoying, not funny.

Yeah, same.

Also, for Halloween this year I kind of want to dress up as Handsome Tom dressed up as Willow. That was one of my favorite part of the entire thing. I'm not sure anyone would get the incredibly obscure reference though.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-07-29, 09:37 PM
Today, Doug talked about his first idea for the 3rd year anniversary. Ninjas vs. Pirates. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/31856-ninjas-vs-pirates-the-other-third-year-anniversary)

Does anybody else feel like I do that this would've made the better movie? Mainly because it's non-serious (well, I'd imagine moreso then Suburban Knights) and actually about the TGWTGers, rather then them pretending to be other people.

Plus, there's the TGWTG villains teaming up, which everybody wants to see. Still, maybe it was for the best. Watching that video alone, Doug refers to Mechakara as "Mecha-Linkara" and has him teaming up with Dr. Insano (whom, as some may remember, TORTURED Mechakara just for being a better villain then he was. I somehow don't think they'd get along). Plus, Doug's lack of watching Linkara's show is so blantant that a critical "did-not-do-the-research" moment seems to happen in every special and is corrected narrowly by Linkara himself.

For those not keeping track:
Brawl: Linkara was originally going to be surprised his magic gun shot, despite the fact he fires it all the time. Plus, it fires bullets instead of the photon torpedos, as does it in every crossover.
Kickassia: Linkara was originally going to be perfectly okay with working with Insano, his arch enemy.
Suburban Knights: Linkara was originally going to agree with Nostalgia Critic that magic doesn't exsist, despite using it ALL THE TIME.

At this point, I'd imagine Linkara must be feeling slightly insulted this happens every year. Maybe Doug should just watch his shows occasionally just so this doesn't keep happening. It's not a big deal, but if the idea Doug originally wanted were to happen (with a focus on TGWTG inter-continuity) he'd have to start watching their shows.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-30, 01:19 AM
Today, Doug talked about his first idea for the 3rd year anniversary. Ninjas vs. Pirates. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/31856-ninjas-vs-pirates-the-other-third-year-anniversary)

Does anybody else feel like I do that this would've made the better movie? Mainly because it's non-serious (well, I'd imagine moreso then Suburban Knights) and actually about the TGWTGers, rather then them pretending to be other people.

I doubt it would have been as good. It does sound as serious as Suburban Knights. And, based on what Doug said, it does appear as though they would still be pretending to be other people what with Doug saying he'd be the NC as Jack Sparrow. Also are there even enough evil counterparts to make this thing?

Zevox
2011-07-30, 01:24 AM
Also are there even enough evil counterparts to make this thing?
That was my thought. I know Spoony has Insano, Linkara has Mechakara, Iron Liz has Judas Liz, and Nella has Dark Nella, but I can't think of any others. Maybe That Guy With the Glasses would qualify for Doug, though I'm not sure. Other than that though, most of the reviewers just don't have characters like those that I've seen. Granted there are some that I've seen little or nothing from (Phelous, Obscurus Lupa, Todd, Paw, to name the few I can think of right now), but I'd be surprised if there were all that many I wasn't aware of.

Zevox

Rappy
2011-07-30, 01:31 AM
Phelous
Sort of.

Obscurus Lupa
Nope.

Todd
Nada.

Paw
Nay.

Yeah...besides the obvious ones you stated, the only "evil lookalike" I can think of is Marzgurl's sorceress, and she's not a villain so much as a comedic fail-villain.

Zevox
2011-07-30, 01:32 AM
Yeah...besides the obvious ones you stated, the only "evil lookalike" I can think of is Marzgurl's sorceress, and she's not a villain so much as a comedic fail-villain.
To be fair, outside of Kickassia, that's pretty much what Doctor Insano is too.

Zevox

Mystic Muse
2011-07-30, 01:36 AM

Plus, there's the TGWTG villains teaming up, which everybody wants to see. Still, maybe it was for the best. Watching that video alone, Doug refers to Mechakara as "Mecha-Linkara" and has him teaming up with Dr. Insano (whom, as some may remember, TORTURED Mechakara just for being a better villain then he was. I somehow don't think they'd get along). Plus, Doug's lack of watching Linkara's show is so blantant that a critical "did-not-do-the-research" moment seems to happen in every special and is corrected narrowly by Linkara himself.

For those not keeping track:
Brawl: Linkara was originally going to be surprised his magic gun shot, despite the fact he fires it all the time. Plus, it fires bullets instead of the photon torpedos, as does it in every crossover.
Kickassia: Linkara was originally going to be perfectly okay with working with Insano, his arch enemy.
Suburban Knights: Linkara was originally going to agree with Nostalgia Critic that magic doesn't exsist, despite using it ALL THE TIME.

At this point, I'd imagine Linkara must be feeling slightly insulted this happens every year. Maybe Doug should just watch his shows occasionally just so this doesn't keep happening. It's not a big deal, but if the idea Doug originally wanted were to happen (with a focus on TGWTG inter-continuity) he'd have to start watching their shows.

Heck, he could even just ask for a summary of Linkara's plots and important things about his storylines and that would probably suffice.

Rappy
2011-07-30, 01:46 AM
To be fair, outside of Kickassia, that's pretty much what Doctor Insano is too.
I can't fault the villain tactics of a guy that became president. :smalltongue:

Heck, he could even just ask for a summary of Linkara's plots and important things about his storylines and that would probably suffice.
Or use the handy plot summary video Linkara made specifically for people that didn't have the time to go through all of his older videos.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-30, 01:51 AM
Or use the handy plot summary video Linkara made specifically for people that didn't have the time to go through all of his older videos.

I've seen this, and I still have no idea what's happened or what's going on half the time.

Mx.Silver
2011-07-30, 02:29 AM

Does anybody else feel like I do that this would've made the better movie?
No. It wouldn't have worked at all, even if all the reviewers had evil alter-ego characters (which they don't). Leaving aside that fadishness of a 'pirates versus ninjas' theme, one of the advantages of Suburban Knights was that it was self-contained. You didn't need to have seen everyone's entire archive of work in order to get what was going on. With this idea, that would have been a necessity. You'd have then also had various fanboys complaining about how the actions of Villain X didn't fit in the 'continuity' etc (e.g. what you're doing with your Linkara stuff). And there would be continuity errors because trying to import Linkara's attempts at a story into it as-is would kill most of the comedy and result in basically everyone (except maybe Spoony and Joe) getting massively sidelined.

Plus, there's the TGWTG villains teaming up, which everybody wants to see.
I don't, and I'm someone who generally doesn't mind the villain characters stuff. Anyone who doesn't like them is guaranteed to hate it.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-30, 07:26 AM

Yeah, I think that could work much better. It's based on a fad, yeah, but the premise has much more comedy potential, it would be very hard to treat the whole thing seriously (which is a good thing, I watch those things for humour), and James Rolfe as Bloodbeard Joe would've been a hilarious thing. But I can see why it didn't work out - even aside the fact that James couldn't come, it'd be a bad idea to have some people play two characters while others only play one. Giving everyone the same share of screentime would be so hard and probably hurt the story a lot.

Doug is prone to not doing the research when it comes to areas outside of his own and he strikes me as somewhat of a control freak (most of his crossovers consist of him writing the script alone, then trying to stick to the script as much as possible to save time), but I can understand his position here. If he starts watching Linkara's videos out of some nebulous feeling of obligation, then why not Spoony? And Todd? And Film Brain? And everyone else on the site? They're all his underlings, he can't play favorites. And then he spends all the time watching videos, leaving no time for work (and he has a lot of work) or private life.

Let's go somewhat offtopic for a bit. I greatly enjoy Linkara's videos, but I believe they have one glaring, major flaw: they have an ongoing continuity with a serious storyline. Linkara greatly overestimates his ability as a serious writer, and the post-episode plot in his videos, which he often puts a lot of effort into, tends to be... not as interesting as he thinks it is, to put it mildly. There is a reason most other reviewers use their storylines for purely comedic reasons, if they even have one. I think Linkara should return to the earlier style of his continuity writing, which had much more humour - just compare his first and second Silent Hill video.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-30, 08:05 AM
Actually, come to think of it, I think the NC evil counterpart is that troll also played by Doug that always appears in his top 11 ****-up videos.

Green-Shirt Q
2011-07-30, 08:25 AM
Sort of.

Nope.

Nada.

Nay.
Phelous has had SEVERAL clones who have tried to kill him, and Paw has Dark Paw.

Doug is prone to not doing the research when it comes to areas outside of his own and he strikes me as somewhat of a control freak (most of his crossovers consist of him writing the script alone, then trying to stick to the script as much as possible to save time), but I can understand his position here. If he starts watching Linkara's videos out of some nebulous feeling of obligation, then why not Spoony? And Todd? And Film Brain? And everyone else on the site? They're all his underlings, he can't play favorites. And then he spends all the time watching videos, leaving no time for work (and he has a lot of work) or private life.

I understand that he has a lot of work, which is why I said earlier that it wasn't a big deal. Still, if they were to do an idea similar to Ninjas vs. Pirates (something with a villain team up) or anything involving a character from Linkara's universe, I think it would be necessary to at least ask Linkara about it over skype or something first. I don't know.

Plus, about playing favourites, I have a feeling Doug kinda already does that. :smalltongue:

Let's go somewhat offtopic for a bit. I greatly enjoy Linkara's videos, but I believe they have one glaring, major flaw: they have an ongoing continuity with a serious storyline. Linkara greatly overestimates his ability as a serious writer, and the post-episode plot in his videos, which he often puts a lot of effort into, tends to be... not as interesting as he thinks it is, to put it mildly. There is a reason most other reviewers use their storylines for purely comedic reasons, if they even have one. I think Linkara should return to the earlier style of his continuity writing, which had much more humour - just compare his first and second Silent Hill video.

I'd have to disagree. It's something that's subjective, but I always thought that he writes really good storylines and that, if Doug were to attempt a plot like Suburban Knights again (one with a slight amount of drama and real consequences) that Linkara should help write it. But that's my opinion. I hear a lot of people feel the same way YOU do, so maybe it would'nt be such a good idea.

KnightDisciple
2011-07-30, 09:14 AM
I'd have to disagree. It's something that's subjective, but I always thought that he writes really good storylines and that, if Doug were to attempt a plot like Suburban Knights again (one with a slight amount of drama and real consequences) that Linkara should help write it. But that's my opinion. I hear a lot of people feel the same way YOU do, so maybe it would'nt be such a good idea.For what it's worth, I rather enjoy them as well.

Dienekes
2011-07-30, 09:25 AM
Linkara actually asked his audience if they want him to continue the storylines or not and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Personally I nothing them, I'll watch them mind you but I'm not really invested in them. I don't think they're bad, but they need some spit polish.

If you don't like it though, they're easy enough to skip, just turn off the video after the review.

Rappy
2011-07-30, 08:28 PM
Phelous has had SEVERAL clones who have tried to kill him
Hence the "sort of".

and Paw has Dark Paw.
I completely forgot about Dark Paw. :smallsigh: A failure is me.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-30, 08:30 PM
I completely forgot about Dark Paw. :smallsigh: A failure is me.

Who? Is that just a silhouette of Paw like dark link from ocarina of time?

Rappy
2011-07-30, 08:46 PM
Who? Is that just a silhouette of Paw like dark link from ocarina of time?
He's an evil 8-bit/sprite/bodysnatcher version of Paw found inside of Paw's head. It's a long story.

turkishproverb
2011-07-31, 02:17 AM

Eh, better than most of the stuff I see coming out of holywood today. Not that that's saying much mind you...

Tengu_temp
2011-08-01, 08:03 PM
And it seems Linkara heard my complaint somehow, because the storyline in his latest video is much more silly and joking.