PDA

View Full Version : Extending Reach

Elrihm
2011-04-30, 03:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a cool way to extend reach without burning a whole lot, feat or lvl wise. I guess I'm looking for the shortest path to extending reach beyond natural limitations.

Greenish
2011-04-30, 03:25 PM
Reach weapon. Glaive is good, Guisarme if you like tripping. :smalltongue:

[Edit]: Longspear, if you only got simple weapons.

Gavinfoxx
2011-04-30, 03:29 PM
Enlarge Person?

myancey
2011-04-30, 03:48 PM
Inhuman Reach, from Lords of Madness. It requires the Aberration Blood feat as well.

Then pick a polearm. That'd give 15' reach to a medium character. Then take Shortened Grip so you can attack in squares adjacent to you--at the cost of a -2 attack.

I have a build that works pretty well for reach characters.

Changeling Fighter4, Warshaper 5, Exotic Weapon Master 1. (Then add what you want.)

The changeling is getting into Warshaper, which grants another 5' reach, so you'd be at 20' for a medium character. Exotic Weapon Master because polearms are two-handed weapons that normally deal 1.5 strength damage. EWM increases that to 2x strength damage.

Edit: If you do go with this build, I'd also recommend decent dexterity and combat reflexes so you can AoO people.

Greenish
2011-04-30, 03:51 PM
The changeling is getting into Warshaper, which grants another 5' reach, so you'd be at 20' for a medium character. Exotic Weapon Master because polearms are two-handed weapons that normally deal 1.5 strength damage. EWM increases that to 2x strength damage.I seem to recall that warshaper's extra reach is just for natural weapons.

Slapping in some FotF or Thayan Gladiator should fit the build, by the way.

myancey
2011-04-30, 04:00 PM
I seem to recall that warshaper's extra reach is just for natural weapons.

Checked it out-- morphic reach just says it "stretch its limbs, neck, or other appendages outward, giving it 5 more feet of reach". I would think that it'd specify if it only worked for natural weapons. But that's just my interpretation.

Greenish
2011-04-30, 04:06 PM
Checked it out-- morphic reach just says it "stretch its limbs, neck, or other appendages outward, giving it 5 more feet of reach". I would think that it'd specify if it only worked for natural weapons. But that's just my interpretation.You're right, it works. That's what I get for assuming.

Elrihm
2011-04-30, 04:23 PM
Hmm, well, right now I'm a swordsage 3 using a spiked chain with shadow blade, exotic weapon prof, and soulsight (cause I'm going to take three in umbral disciple for the HiPS), and I've been delaying taking adaptive style (i know, i know). Maybe I should just give up the idea of HiPS...we're doing an assassin campaign that I thought would be usefull in, but I can't find an easy way of doing it. Any recommendations about just giving up HiPS?

Elrihm
2011-04-30, 04:40 PM
Or I'll probably just take one rank in warlock, and go into DoTU for situational HiPS. I like the weapon master btw, one lvl dip giving that much extra damage? Yes, please!

Greenish
2011-04-30, 04:56 PM
I like the weapon master btw, one lvl dip giving that much extra damage? Yes, please!Uncanny Blow only works on one-handed exotic weapons, and even then it's only 0.5x str more damage. The other use of Uncanny Blow is marginally better if you like TWF.

Geigan
2011-04-30, 05:00 PM
This thread might be useful. Scroll down for reach. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777)

myancey
2011-04-30, 05:08 PM
Uncanny Blow only works on one-handed exotic weapons, and even then it's only 0.5x str more damage. The other use of Uncanny Blow is marginally better if you like TWF.

Sad day..and nice catch. I need to redesign my build...