PDA

View Full Version : forged in war!

Draig
2011-04-30, 05:57 PM
Ok I'm trying to find info on the warforged but can't seem to bring it up anywhere. Can someone tell me where I might find it and the pros and cons of using a warforged as an npc boss? Also some good warforged builds would be appreciated.

MeeposFire
2011-04-30, 06:00 PM
Warforges are in the Eberron campaign setting and races of eberron. Warforged make great NPCs since they have a lot of immunities. Warforged are great for all warrior types and artificers in particular (though you can make them work in any class really).

Greenish
2011-04-30, 06:03 PM
Warforged were introduced in ECS, and you can find more info on most Eberron books, especially RoE. MMIII has their monster entry but little else.

The pro of using a warforged as a boss is that they don't have to sleep or eat, and have a laundry list of immunities. The con is that they don't have to sleep, but most PCs probably do.

As for warforged builds, that depends on level and goal. Warforged excel in a number of roles.

AslanCross
2011-04-30, 06:05 PM
The only Cons are the Wisdom and Charisma penalties. For the most part, the race is quite powerful for a LA +0 race. A PC will find the laundry list of immunities situational at best, but I tend to think an NPC will find it better (since yeah, PCs are bound to try a lot of crazy tricks).

EDIT: As for builds, they can excel in any role, really. You can also do a lot of really cool things with them thanks to their innate armor plating (which does NOT count as actual armor unless you take the Mithral Body or Adamantine Body feats), and warforged components are also awesome. My favorite is the battlefist.

Kaje
2011-05-01, 01:51 PM
Warforged are awesome! You can make a warlock that can fire off 14,400 invocations/eldritch blasts a day, every single day, without resting. Or a barbarian who can rage without getting tired.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-01, 02:11 PM
They are basically the best LA+0 by a long shot. Honestly I think they should be LA+1, but whatever. They get pretty wide immunities which include drawbacks from class abilities, and they get natural attacks.

Greenish
2011-05-01, 02:15 PM
They are basically the best LA+0 by a long shot.Not really, but they're definitely in the same weight class as humans, lesser planetouched, whisper gnomes, kobolds and dragonborn water orcs.

Okay, water orcs might not be quite on par with the rest.

Cog
2011-05-01, 02:33 PM
Don't forget the strongheart halflings and the various human subraces that also get a free feat.

Greenish
2011-05-01, 02:37 PM
Don't forget the strongheart halflings and the various human subraces that also get a free feat.Right, Strongheart Halfling definitely makes for the list, and so do silverbrow human and azurin. Are there any other subraces that get the feat?

Also, I think Illumians might also make it to that weight class, for several builds.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 02:40 PM
Karsites get the feat, as well. They cannot use magic, so that may kick them out of the heavy weights, bu they can still take artificers and psionic classes. Surely that counts for something?

Hazzardevil
2011-05-01, 02:45 PM
Not really, but they're definitely in the same weight class as humans, lesser planetouched, whisper gnomes, kobolds and dragonborn water orcs.

Okay, water orcs might not be quite on par with the rest.

You missed a very important creature off that list but never mind.

Warforged are very powerful and definetly come under the race that can do anything.

They get a lot of love even on this forum because they are essentially magic robots.

Greenish
2011-05-01, 02:47 PM
You missed a very important creature off that list but never mind.Or perhaps you missed the quote I was replying to, as well as the entire context of this discussion.

:smallamused:

Cog
2011-05-01, 02:47 PM
Karsites lose out for having 2 LA.

Illuminans... maybe. They certainly are very good in particular cases, but most of these listed races are good in a wider range of cases.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 02:51 PM
Karsites have +2 LA? :smalleek:

You'd think immunity to magic would be negated by the fact that they cannot use magic. I mean, in a world where psionics almost as prevalent as magic, it's little more than a nifty ability...

Cog
2011-05-01, 02:54 PM
Karsites still have access to a number of Tier 2 and a couple of Tier 1 classes, so it's not as much of a limit as you might think.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 03:24 PM
I realize that. I just mean that although they are immune to the affects of the big five, they also cannot become members of those classes (assuming that I am remembering correctly, Karsites can't be divine casters, either). Is it not just as equal a detriment as it is a bonus?

Greenish
2011-05-01, 03:25 PM
I realize that. I just mean that although they are immune to the affects of the big five, they also cannot become members of those classesThere's still Spell-to-Power Erudite and Artificer, though I'm not sure if the latter would work.

MeeposFire
2011-05-01, 03:29 PM
It should work. Artificers cannot cast spells and infusions are defined as being not spells. However they may have trouble using certain items since I do not remember if they can use the items they can create. Also karsites are not immune to magic they just have SR.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 03:31 PM
Artificer would work, as their infuses are specifically mentioned as neither divine or arcane spells.

Cog
2011-05-01, 03:37 PM
Are Karsites printed somewhere other than Tome of Magic? All I'm seeing is SR based on levels, not magic immunity.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 03:38 PM
I'm misremembering. :smallredface:

Still, doesn't that make it worse that they cannot use conventional magic?

MeeposFire
2011-05-01, 03:40 PM
I'm misremembering. :smallredface:

Still, doesn't that make it worse that they cannot use conventional magic?

Not really it just changes what classes you would pick. With a karsite you start picking classes that don't use spells. There are lots of good options. So if you wanted to play a dragonfire adept karsite would be a fine choice. Want to play a wizard? Don't play a karsite it is easy.

Draig
2011-05-01, 07:29 PM
Ok read over the warforged and now for a really important question. What feats and such would I need to make a DND iron man?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-01, 07:37 PM
Warforged are awesome! You can make a warlock that can fire off 14,400 invocations/eldritch blasts a day, every single day, without resting.

http://i.imgur.com/a8zxp.jpg

Amnestic
2011-05-01, 07:44 PM
Ok read over the warforged and now for a really important question. What feats and such would I need to make a DND iron man?

Warlock is a popular choice for making Iron Man. Fell Flight invocation plus Eldritch Blast gives you everything you could want. I assume spellcasters could work too.

AslanCross
2011-05-02, 05:39 AM

Artificer would work too; you just need to be able to pick up Wands and Eternal Wands.

McSmack
2011-05-02, 09:59 AM
Yeah Warlock gives you flight and a blast. You could also go Artificer with wand sheaths for the energy attacks (Orb of Force?) then a heavy melee class for the hand-to-hand. With those artificer levels you can self heal via repair infusions, as well as self buff.

Spellcarved Soldier (Races of Eberron)is an option for PrC, while it's got some nice flavor it is a little weak. Damage reduction and crit immunity are nice class features though.

You can go with standing back and shooting via warlock, or you can go melee with a few levels in a melee class. Warforged get a natural slam attack, which can be upgarded with battlefists which is nice.

If you're plannning on wearing armor you might think about taking Mithril Body (ECS) and Battlecaster(?) from Complete Arcane. This will give you the armor equivilent of a breastplate and still allow you to use all your infusions/invocations.

If you go with a melee warlock build there's a nice one floating around the boards using the Eldritch Claws invocation (you could make these look like energized punches or whatnot). And handily with melee warlock builds you can still blast from range without any real problems.

Personally I prefer the artificer, but only cause I love them more.

Or if you want to be really nasty you can just have a warforged using a warforged titan as a 'mech-suit'. <insert evil laugh here>

Person_Man
2011-05-02, 09:59 AM
My favorite Warforged PrC is the Landforged Walker. (Secrets of Xen'driks) The capstone ability (level 5, ECL 10) is Plant Shape, which allows you to Wildshape into any Plant from Small to Huge size. Otherwise functions exactly like Wildshape, except that you use your total character level as your effective druid level to determine duration and maximum Hit Dice. I think it also provides 4/5 divine caster progression, making an Archivist 5/Landforged Walker 5 a tempting option.