PDA

View Full Version : Overhauled Sunless Citadel Campaign Journal

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-04-30, 06:22 PM
I'm the dungeon master for a game that I will be running soon. Two ideas have come together to create this (hopefully) humorous d&d game set in Eberron.

Background:

The Story:
In November of 2010 a 100 lb female began boasting that she could out drink me. Now, she hits the town every night of the week, she's a party girl and drinks a lot. I know her because she's my girlfriend's best friend here in town. So I start talking smack back; you see I had logic on my side. There just was no way that someone who weighed half as much as me could out drink me. So the contest was set. She spends most of her time making fun of me and my girlfriend for playing dungeons and dragons. I told her that if I won she had to play a d&d campaign with us. She told me that when she won, I would have to LARP with the college aged LARPing group who LARP in the center of campus. I apologize to all those who enjoy LARPing, but I found this to be highly undesirable. Especially when youtube was mentioned.

Suffice it to say, I won. 15 shots of patron gold to her measly (but impressive) 10 shots of Crown Royal.

The Game:
The point of the game is to be as nerdy as possible. Dramatically role playing (all my friends are in on it) and acting like we play like that always. We're gonna get goofy props (like a paper plate with a stick and a picture of your character's face on it that you hold over your face when your character is talking) and otherwise get her to do really nerdy and embarrassing things and then threaten to post the videos on youtube.

Character Creation: Level 1, LA 0 or +1 (within reason), rolling method was 24d6 drop 6 lowest and rearrange the dice however you want (3 dice per stat obviously), random wealth.

Sunless Citadel:
I've changed it quite a bit. I kept meepo (how can you get rid of meepo) and made the kobolds recently escaped slaves from Darguun. The game starts in New Cyre and the location of the Sunless Citadel is at the foot of the Seawall Mountains nearby. An earthquake that occurred during the day of mourning opened a chasm that reveals the sunless citadel. Two and a half years has past since that fateful day. Currently there are three groups that occupy the ancient fort. The kobolds who wish to live there peacefully with there mascot the White Dragon. The Goblins, who are a cult of the Dragon Below. And the mysterious third party (who is not some stupid druid selling fruit).

I Present to you: The Sunless Citadel (The Journal)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Jopustopin/The_Sunless_Citadel.jpg

Read this First
The Cast:

DM's Dream - Everything you look for in a player: Role & Roll playing, backgrounds that a DM can propel a campaign around, you name it. This guy has no flaws. (All the ladies love him at work too. Don't dump charisma kids.)
DM's Girlfriend - Not as bad as some stories I've heard around here. Usually plays a drow or a druid (or a drow druid)... she went outside her comfort zone in character creation in order to rag on her best friend.
Quiet Guy - Doesn't speak very much and you wonder why he likes the game. Once he was at 3 hp and didn't bother to tell us (as we walked around a city all day) until he got hit for 14 points of damage. Well he didn't so much as tell us as inform us that he was dead.
The Party Girl - 100 lbs of anti-nerdom. We plan on making her life hell for having to "lower herself" to our level. Surprisingly excited when making her character (which we pointed out to her and she denied).
Shows up Late -This guy is never on time. His last three characters have had the "giant" type. Has a tendency to fall asleep while playing and names his characters with words that are difficult to pronounce.

Current PC's

Intro:

DM's Dream is playing a Human Blue Mage with the Mark of Sentinel. He dreams big and imagines himself as a "adventurer paragon" in order to maximize nerdiness.

The Quiet Guy is playing... a whisper gnome swordsage. Not much to say I suppose except to point out the irony that he chose to play a whisper gnome.

Shows up Late is playing a Half-Giant Factotum he dreams big too and is going for improved trip so that he can trip everything!

The Party Girl looked at all the classes and surprisingly choose to play a human swordsage. She seemed to think teleporting through the shadows was cool enough to play an entire class around. We didn't tell her that thinking it was cool to teleport through the shadows was nerdy. We're pacing ourselves here, can't snap the trap too early otherwise she'll be wary later on.

DM's Girlfriend rolled the worst stats. Because I'm not some kinda whipped pansy DM she only got to reroll once. She got even worse stats than the first time and kept em' (like a boss). While I was preoccupied with The Party Girl she crafted up a viscous half-orc conjurer with the mark of finding. She made sure to ask me what book abrupt jaunt was in. Brought a tear to my min/max eye.

Lintu Darahma d'Tharashk
Half-Orc Conjurer

Lintu Darahma d'Tharashk Conjurer 1
TN medium humanoid (orc)
Init +2; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Listen -2, Spot -2
Languages Common, Orc, Draconic, Goblin, Giant
[hr]
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10
hp 7 (1d4+3)
Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +0
[hr]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee quarterstaff -2 (1d6-2/x2)
Melee dagger -2 (1d4-2/19-20)
Ranged light crossbow +2 (1d8/19-20)
Ranged dagger +2 (1d4-2/19-20)
Base Atk +0; Grp -2
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 1st):

1st-Color Spray, True Strike, Lesser Orb of Sound
0th-Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Message, Acid Splash

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1st):

Abrupt Jaunt (3/day)
Identify (1/day)

[hr]
Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 16, Wis 7, Cha 8
Feats Mark of Finding (Identify), Scribe Scroll
Skills Concentration +7, Craft (Poisonmaking) +7, Knowledge (local, nobility and royalty, nature, the planes) +4, Spellcraft +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +7
Possessions Light Crossbow, Quarterstaff, Dagger, Monacle, Cloak, Backpack, tent (one person), Bedroll, Rations, Ink, Inkpen, Scrolls, Flint & Steel, Flask, Silk Rope, Waterskin, Spellbook, Spell Components
Spellbook

All 0th Level Spells in PHB (Except Necromancy and Enchantment)
Lesser Orb of Sound, True Strike, Luminous Gaze, Mount, Comprehend Language, Color Spray

Trixie
Human Swordsage

Human Swordsage 1
xx medium humanoid (human)
Init +5; Senses Listen +7, Spot +4
Languages Common, Elvish, Orcish
[hr]
AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 13
hp 8 (1d8)
Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +6
[hr]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee club -1 (1d6-1/x2)
Melee dagger +0 (1d4+3/19-20)
Ranged light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20)
Ranged dagger +5 (1d4-1/19-20)
Base Atk +0; Grp -1
Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 1st):

Stances- Child of Shadows
Strikes- Shadow Blade Technique, Mighty Throw, Stone Bones, Wolf Fang Strike, Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Boosts- Sudden Leap

[hr]
Abilities Str 8, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 14
SQ Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand)
Feats Shadow Blade, Adaptive Style, Weapon Focus (Dagger, Shortsword, Sai, Siangham, Unarmed Strike, Spiked Chain)
Skills Balance +6, Climb +1, Concentration +4, Hide +4, Intimidate +1, Jump +4, Knowledge (History) +3, Knowledge (Local) +3, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +3, Listen +7, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +7, Swim -2, Tumble +6
Possessions Dagger, Dagger, Light Crossbow, Club, Studded Leather, Explorer's Outfit, Backpack, Waterskin, Rations x4, Soap, Bedroll, Whetstone

T'ulnog Sahordk
Half-Giant Factotum

Half-Giant Factotum 1
ng medium giant
Init +2; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages Common, Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Ignan
[hr]
AC15, touch 12, flat-footed 13
hp 10 (1d8+2)
Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0
[hr]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Guisarme +3 (2d6+4/x3)
Melee Greatclub +3 (2d8+4/x2)
Melee Dagger +3 (1d6+3/19-20)
Ranged dagger +2 (1d6+3/19-20)
Base Atk +0; Grp +7
Atk OptionsCunning Insight
Psi-Like Abilities (ML 1st):

Stomp (DC 10, 1/day)

[hr]
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8
SQ Cunning Knowledge (1/day per skill), Inspiration (2 points), trapfinding
Feats Combat Expertise
Skills Balance +2, Craft (Alchemy) +5, Craft (Trapmaking) +5, Decipher Script +5, Disable Device +10, Gather Information +0, Handle Animal +0, Jump +3, Knowledge (The Planes, Nobility and Royalty, Religion, Architecture, Geography, History) +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Local, Nature) +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Open Lock +5, Search +8, Sleight of Hand +2, Spellcraft +5, Tumble +4, Use Magic Device +0, Autohypnosis +1
Possessions large guisarme, large greatclub, large dagger x3, Explorer's Outfit, Studded Leather, Backpack, Bedroll, Candle x10, Fish hooks x3, Oil x3, Parchment x5, Piton x2, Empty Sack x2, Sealing Wax, Sewing Needle x2, Torch x3, Signal Whistle, Masterwork Thieves Tools

Benjamin Binscarth
Whisper Gnome Swordsage

Whisper Gnome Swordsage 1
NG small humanoid (gnome)
Init +5; Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, Gnomish
[hr]
AC 18, touch 15, flat-footed 14
hp 10 (1d8+2)
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2
[hr]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee short sword +4 (1d4+6/19-20)
Melee dagger +4 (1d3+6/19-20)
Ranged dagger +6 (1d3+2/19-20)
Base Atk +0; Grp -2
Atk Options +1 to hit goblins and kobolds, +4 AC against Giants
Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 1st):

Stances- Island of Blades
Strikes- Wolf Fang Strike, Shadow Blade Technique, Stone Bones
Boosts- Burning Blade, Sudden Leap
Counter- Moment of Perfect Mind

Silence- (DC 11; 1/day)

[hr]
Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
SQ Quick to Act +1, Discipline Focus (Shadow Hand), Weapon Familiarity
Feats Shadow Blade, Weapon Focus (Dagger, Shortsword, Sai, Siangham, Unarmed Strike, Spiked Chain)
Skills Concentration +6, Hide +15, Jump +5, Move Silently +11, Sense Motive +4, Tumble +7
Possessions Short sword, dagger, backpack, sleeping bag, 7 days rations, hemp rope

Harmon Raynd d'Deneith
Human Blue Mage (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8721.0)

Human Blue Mage 1
NG medium humanoid (Human)
Init +1; Senses Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages Common
[hr]
AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10
hp 8 (1d6+2)
Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +2
[hr]
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee spear +0 (1d8/x3)
Melee light mace +0 (1d6/x2)
Ranged sling +1 (1d4/x2)
Base Atk +0; Grp +0
Blue Mage Spells Known (CL 1st):

1st (2/day) - Lesser Vigor, Ray of Enfeeblement, Color Spray
0th (3/day) - Light, Detect Magic

Mage Armor (1/day)

[hr]
Abilities Str 11, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16
SQ Blue Magic, Indigo Fusion
Feats Mark of Sentinel (Mage Armor), Versatile Spellcaster
Skills Bluff +7, Concentration +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +6, Spellcraft +6, Spot +4, Use Magic Device +7
Possessions Spear, Light Mace, Sling, 20 Sling Bullets, Belt Pouch, Waterskin, spell component pouch, explorer's outfit, backpack, bedroll, rations x8, silk rope

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-04-30, 06:24 PM
Session 1: Introductions, Background, and A Battle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11004686&postcount=11)

Session 2: Fighting Rats, Taking Names (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11004686&postcount=11)

Greenish
2011-04-30, 06:29 PM
100 pounds is like… 45 kg? No way she could drink much anyone under the table.

Otherwise, I'm playing a whisper gnome swordsage currently myself, greetings to my compatriot!

Decoy69
2011-04-30, 08:53 PM
Ok, First up Excellent work in getting someone new into your game.
I'm kinda missing the part where D&D is nerdier than LARPing but that may just be me. =P

Ask yourself "Do you really want to make this first game hell for her?" or would you rather her have a fun first game and maybe become a regular player.
Though if you think she can take the joke I say go for it.

As for your campaign choice. I'm currently being run through The Sunless Citadel myself and think it's a great way to introduce new adventurers to the game.
You've done a sterling job of transferring it over to the Ebberon setting too. It fits quite well.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-04-30, 11:17 PM
I operate under the simple premise that God created LARPers so that us table toppers can look down upon someone.

The girl I had the bet with knew this and that's why if she won I would have to LARP while they recorded me.

I would rather have her play D&D while we all gather around making fun of her in a friendly manner (trust me she can take insults and is quick to dish out the verbal pain). This is why I didn't have her LARP if she lost. I want her to play D&D and like it.

I think the game will be fun and we'll be making fun of her for having fun. That's our goal really. So yeah..

Our Goal: To make the first game so much fun for her that we can make fun of her for having so much fun.

slaydemons
2011-04-30, 11:27 PM
You sire have the oddest timing as I just started this adventure with my friends Are you spying on me XD? also I forget the major details of what happens so I can never do this campaign journal stuff but this makes me smile.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-04-30, 11:30 PM

Otherwise, I'm playing a whisper gnome swordsage currently myself, greetings to my compatriot!

She did get to 10 shots which I think is hard core for a 45 kilogram female. But yeah, here's the best part, she challenged me again when we were making characters.

Greenish
2011-04-30, 11:59 PM
She did get to 10 shots which I think is hard core for a 45 kilogram female. But yeah, here's the best part, she challenged me again when we were making characters.Some people just can't face reality. I hope you told her to come back once she'd gained 30-40 kg more. :smallwink:

true_shinken
2011-05-01, 07:47 AM
I really don't think looking down on someone else's hobby is going to help how well perceived your hobby is. Or making your hobby seem ridiculous to someone else.

Oh wait, that's not what you want, is it? You don't want her to have an enjoyable experience with a roleplaying game, you are just doing some kind of highly elaborate practical joke. Well, my opinion is that you're putting too much effort into this. No one will enjoy it, not even you and you'll feel silly for wasting your time on it.

Also, AFAIK, alternate accounts are forbidden here, you might want to change that.

Dude, your new avatar is all shades of awesome.

Jopustopin
2011-05-01, 11:00 AM
Yes multiple accounts are forbidden; I found that out about twelve hours ago. I already posted in the appropriate place to combine the accounts.

As to the rest of your criticisms I suspect that this journal will record which one of us is correct. I suspect you don't know me very well (or the particular girl in question) which might lead you to your conclusion. However I give you my assurance that she's not going to feel picked on like we're bullying her and leave each game crying. I think the amount of effort I'm putting in only shows the dedication I have to reaching my goal.

Give it a chance, if it sucks four gaming sessions from now you can post again letting me know how right you were all along.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-05-16, 06:45 PM
Session 1:

We spent most of the time screwing around and finishing character creation. Several people were hours late. I'm sure you guys all know the drill. But we had Firestone Pale Ale to make everyone compliant.

Therendor 15th, 998 YK:

The House Deneith conclave is still under construction. As such they are not officially performing any of the normal House functions. However a Paladin of the Silver Flame had enough money to move two of the House Deneith mercenaries into protecting the Paladin from harm. There names were Talgen d'Deneith (Trained under House renown swordsman Draco d'Deneith) and Sharwyn d'Deneith (A trained wizard and sibling of Talgen). The mission length was to be "no more than two weeks." After completing the mission the two were to travel directly to Starilaskur.

Therendor 16th, 998 YK:

Harmon Raynd d'Deneith arrives in New Cyre. The only other dragonmarked member of House Deneith in the area is Kerowyn d'Deneith. Kerowyn is an elderly House Deneith who's mission is to establish a thriving House Deneith conclave in New Cyre. Harmon is in charge of most of the paperwork and is used as little more than a secretary.

Eyre 14th, 998 YK:

The two siblings never arrived in Starilaskur where the parents live (and are understandably worried) and they send a letter via House Sivis to Kerowyn in New Cyre.

Eyre 15th, 998 YK:
Kerowyn (who is too busy with a missing persons case and without any resources to do anything about it) sends Harmon to learn as much as he can about the dissapearance of the two siblings. She tells him everything she knows. A Paladin of the Silver Flame along with (what she assumed to be) his squire hired the two for a mission that he didn't mention. Both the Human Paladin and the Elf were from Thrane.

Harom went to the House Tharashk enclave to see if they would lend anyone to assist him. The Finders Guild assigned Lintu Darahma d'Tharashk to assist Harmon. Lintu was exceptionally precocious and was trained as a wizard. When her husband died of natural causes* she developed a dragonmark and her station in House Tharashk improved. The house assigned Lintu to assist Harmon in order to get Lintu some field experience.

*It seems some believe that Lintu's husband was murdered. Strange how Lintu was not around when her husband died but manifested a dragonmark before she could have known that he died. Yes... Strange....

Eyer 20th, 998 YK:

By the end of the 20th of Eyer 998 YK, Harmon and Lintu had discovered that the Paladin was last seen in the Rusty Violin located near the Old road on the south east side of town. According to a very finely dressed halfling, the paladin was here about a month back. He drank a bit too much and started talking about visions he was receiving. Darkness down the old road. Inside the earth.

The Old Road used to be a trading road that went from the settlement here to Cyre. When the Goblins took over the area now known as Darguun, the trading road fell out of use. The area had seen several raids during the last war and now the Old Road houses nothing more than abandoned and razed barns. Apparently some Goblin Merchants did use the old road recently. They told tales of strange forms of magic given life.

Harom researched these creatures and found a similar description of "living spells" seen only in The Mournland.

When it became apparent to Harmon that they would need to leave the city in order to determine what happened Kerowyn promised Harmon coin to hire anyone in town that he could find to assist him on this job. Harmon and Lintu soon found a half-giant who proudly claimed the best mercenaries in town. Warriors, that (he claimed) could best him in single handed combat. Harmon assumed they were more half-giants and quickly hired them on. 1000 Platinum Coins were promised if the two were found living, where only 500 platinum if only the signet rings were found. This was a small fortune. With two dragonmarked members on board the group agreed to perform the job with no money up front (trusting the dragonmarked to keep their words). The desperate cannot be greedy.

Eyer 21st, 998 YK:

The group decides to meet at the bar all together to talk over their mission. Harmon seems somewhat upset that the two great "warriors" the half giant was talking up includes a gnome and a 95 lb human girl. However they soon get over this and begin drinking in the pub going over the details of their mission. Then they proceed to get drunk off of Cyre Water.

Eyer 22nd, 998 YK:
The party gathers en mass and braves the Old Road. They walk about 8 hours into the day and by the time the sun has set Harmon's constant heroics have enraged the female party members to no end. His comments include things such as, "Fear not ladies, The men will protect your virtue!" and "We will not fail to protect you, it is your mission to bear a man his children."

Eventually these comments lead Lintu to declare she was attacking Harmon. Apparently she's somewhat of a feminist.* However immediately after she declared her attack a large ooze of magical energy sprung up from the ground beneath them and initiative was rolled.

Combat:

Living Sandblast CR 1

Living Sandblast CR 1
ooze 1
TN Medium Ooze
Init -1; Senses (60 Feet); Listen -1, Spot -1
[HR]
AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
HP 8
Fort +1, Ref 0, Will 0
Immune gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight, mide-affecting spells and abilities, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. Not subject to extra damage from critical hits or flanking.
DR 10/magic
SR 11
[HR]
Speed 20 feet
Melee Slam +0 (1d4 plus sandblast)
Combat Options: Spell Effect, Engulf
Base Atk: +0; Grp +0
[HR]
Abilities Str 11, Dex 8, Con 11, Int -, Wis 8, Cha 11
[HR]
Spell Effect (Su): A creature hit by a living spell’s slam attack is subjected to the normal effect of the spell or spells making up the creature.
Engulf (Ex): A living spell can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The living spell merely has to move over the opponent, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the living spell,b ut if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 11) or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (DM’s choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effects of the spell(s) each round on the living spell’s turn, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body.
Sandblast (Su): Creatures in the area take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Any creature that fails its reflex save is also stunned for 1 round. (DC 11). This damage applies when a creature is struck by a slam attack, and in each round it remains engulfed by the living burning hands.

At 3'8'' you wouldn't expect much. But immediately his form became blurred with shadow and with speed he moved forward thrusting his shortsword into the creature. The blade passed harmlessly through the sand, in its wake flames bust forth crystallizing and melting the sand. (7 Fire Damage) The half-giant swung his glaive over the top of the gnomes body, but again his weapon passed harmlessly though the sand wave.

The ooze attempted to roll it's way over the gnome, but with a quick backflip the gnome easily avoided being consumed.

Harmon yelled out, "Ladies flee for your lives while we handle this! May you find good men who will provide for you if we fail here!" While moving into a place where he could cast his devastating magic. A wave of color flung from his hands hitting the ooze dead center with pure single rainbow awesomeness. However the creature did not seem to be affected. Trixie was too caught up in the action to run, stabbing the creature with a dagger and wrapping herself in a cloak of shadows as well. Lintu double moved into a position where she could be effective.

Round 2:

Harmon bravely threw himself in battle stabbing the creature dead in the back with his spear. Which did absolutely nothing, but allowed him to yell out more brave heroics, "I'll distract him while you two get out of here!" Benjamin, realizing that nothing but his burning blade maneuver would harm the creature, quickly did a refreshing motion (which in my game looks much like this: Stretch both of you hands out and down away from your body. Turn the backs of your hands so they are facing each other and about an inch apart.). The ooze reared up, ready to destroy everyone in one awesome maneuver, when T'ulnog dropped his glaive, pulled out his greatclub, and in true "giant" fashion, smashed the creature for (19 - 10 =) 9 points of damage. The sand returned to the ground from whence it came.

Harom immediately checked to see if the females were okay. When it became apparent that they were okay, he bravely lead the way.
The party returned its journey down the old road. After the sun had set for the night they came upon a strange chasm with, what looks to be pillars jutting out of the earth on both sides. T'ulnog had never heard of any bridges on this road but one doesn't know everything about every road in Khorvaire no matter the natural 20 he rolls on skill checks. They decided to camp here for the night.

However, I rolled another natural encounter during the night.
Anyone want to pick the level 1 spell I apply the Living Spell template to?

*Lintu: Apparently she has killed her husband for feministic reasons.

Session 2:

Eyer 22nd - Eyer 23rd

The party camped for the night, right next to a mysterious chasm jutting across the road. During the night several living spells were seen across the moonlit landscape, seemingly moving about randomly. While they were seen, none of them came close to the group.

Not much of interest occured during the night, except for Trixie waking up Lintu the traditional female Eberron way (Initiating a pillow fight).

Eventually the sun rises, and with it everyone wakes up sore from the previous days travels.
"A good night's rest, I'm famished. Ladies?" Harmon says when he wakes up implying that breakfast should be made. To which, the females of the group reply with the equivalent of a "Hell no"

Harmon and the rest of them, instead, ate rations. Mmmm! Rations. Biscuity, deliciousness. Nutrient packed biscuit. So good!

After packing camp the party reflects on why they are adventuring. The DM reminds them of the interesting story line he has created. After the recap:

So, with no idea of where the Paladin went (other than he went down the old road) the party takes a look at the chasm.

What appears to be the remnants of a bridge, not terribly old looking (maybe at most a year old). Pillars on this side and across the other side of the chasm clearly indicate what once was a bridge. The ropes have been purposefully severed, indicating that the bridge was purposefully destroyed.

The intelligent half-giant indicates that they should go around the chasms in order to continue down the old road.

However Lintu peers down the chasms and notices a very new, knotted rope that is tied to one of the pillars and goes down into the abyss fifty feet towards what looks like a small ledge and a widening of the chasms. Lintu also notices a carved message in goblin in one of the pillars:

"Notice: This holy site is rightfully owned. Trespassers will be executed."

The half-giant failed his knowledge religion check to notice a very important carving above the message.

Harmon speaks up, "I think we have a good idea where the Paladin, and the two missing siblings, went. Let's Investigate!" His finger goes up into the air while speaking and leads.

Tul'nog the half giant descends first while Trixie takes off her backpack to also begin her descent. Meanwhile Lil' Benjamin ties off his rope to a second pillar. Tul'nog (surprisingly no one falls... someone always falls) of course feels like he failed a spot check....

The rope leads to a small ledge which peers down into darkness. The chasms is wider down here than it is at the top. A staircase is seen leading down the chasm to a smaller ledge a ways down.

Combat!

The rats are the size of dogs. Three of them. Patches of mange cover their head and parts of their body. Wicked, disgusting foam is apparent on their mouths.

The moment his feet hit the ground they are on him, screeching in rat talk they begin to work in concert. One of them, (the stinky one) bites into Tul'nog's pant leg and begins to pull visciously. Tul'nog off balance falls prey to the bite of a second one, this one bitting deeply into his thigh muscle. Blood flows freely. Tul'nog lets loose a giant like roar as the fear and surprise set in. A third rat jumps out from the rubble to join the frey, landing on Tul'nog's back and biting deeply into the back of his neck. For a second it looks as if Tul'nog might get dragged to the ground but he begins to struggle against the rat's, dropping an elbow against the rat biting his thigh and kicking off the rat tearing at his pant leg. He rips the third rat off of his back with one hand and grabs a large sized great club from behind him with the second. As the rat hits the ground it's met with a great club that drives the top of the rat's head into the bottom of the rat's head. It's body begins to jerk and spasm. Backing away from the other two rats, Tul'nog faces both of his opponents warily as they begin to lurch forward. However their movement is interrupted by Trixie who lands after a back flip from above and whips out a dagger. This is a momentary interruption as one of the rats side steps Trixie and goes after the wounded Tul'nog biting into his leg and ripping out a huge chunk of giant fles. The other rat tries to bite Trixie, but she is able to easily avoid the rat's clumsy attacks.

Meanwhile at the top of the cliff:
Lintu quickly begins to descent the first rope while Benjamin tosses the second rope that he was tying down and descends just as quickly, followed more slowly by Harmon. Half way down the rope Lintu takes out her crossbow and tries to fire with one hand. With little combat training her shot misses by quite a bit and she mutters an orcish curse.

Benjamin see's a fourth rat climbing the stairs and let's himself drop down in order to join the fight faster. He falls, hits the ground, and tumbles to his feet. Harmon lands right behind him.

Tul'nog begins to fight with some desperation. Swinging his great club at the rat that just bit him in a much more defensive manner. He looks like he is losing quite a bit of blood. The rat doesn't seemed to be phased, timing his lunge perfectly and biting deep into Tul'nog's left arm. A tug of war is fought over it and Tul'nog wins, ripping his arm out of the rat's mouth, losing muscle blood and flesh in the process (although gaining a rat's tooth). Covered in blood he is somehow still on his feet. However for the most part he has a look that has moved from fear to exhaustion. The newest rat moves in to finish the job on Tul'nog, but in a surge of self preservation, Tul'nog blocks the rat with his great club. The rat snarling bites deep into the great club but quickly let's go.

Trixie thrusts her dagger at the rat in front of her, but the rat dodges out of the way at the last second.

Suddenly a brilliant light fills the cavern. Red and yellow, orange and green... the lights are amazing. Benjamin and a rat falls to the ground in apparent bliss. Blinded, stunned and unconscious. The other two rats and Trixie close their eyes for a second and resist the urge to stare at the lights. For a second the fight stops. Tul'nog, outside the affected area, takes the opportunity to hit the recovering rat with all his might. Like before he drives his great club through the rats body, stopping only by the rock solid ground. Muck, gunk, brains, bones, and goo are flung around. Just like that Combat starts again. The remaining standing rat lunges at Trixie who dodges out of the way perfectly, using the rat's momentum and leverage to aid in her maneuver. Grabbing the rat by the back of the neck and fur, Trixie continues the rat's lunge, spinning it around her and throwing the creature ten feet away from her. The creature lands, practically on it's feet, next to Harmon. Who suddenly looks very delicious in the rat's eyes.

The rat latches onto Harmon's arm (which Harmon used as a shield). Blood staining his blue robes.

Lintu finally lands on the ground and moves to help Harmon, to which he replies, "No, M'lady stay back! It's too dangerous here." Harmon kicks the rat off of him, pulls out his spear, and uses it to keep the rat at bay.

Trixie moves towards Harmon and the last rat, shadow forms around her as she moves and her position becomes difficult to discern. Two daggers seem to appear from the shadow and the rat has trouble discerning which is real. Both it seems, as her blade slashes with finesse under the rat's chin, spilling it's life force across the ground. The rat drops onto the ground coughing blood onto Trixie, bloody tears can be seen in it's eyes. As if to signal that combat is over a loud pounding of the last, unconscious rat, by Tul'nog is heard.

Harmon touched Tul'nog and all of his wounds slowly began to heal. Eventually, except for him being completely covered in blood, no visible wounds can be seen.

A Sandy ledge overlooks a subterranean gulf of darkness to the west. Memories of horror stories about venturing into the depths of Khyber rush into your consciousness. The ledge is wide but rough; sand, rocky debris and the bones of small animals are ever present. A roughly hewn zigs and zags down the side of the ledge, descending into darkness.

Lintu and Tul'nog quickly search the ledge for any other clues. Footprints not made by the party can be seen descending the steps. There is evidence of a fireplace and goblin manufactured spear tips.

As the party looks down the steps, the silence is broken by Trixie:
"Let's do it!" she proclaims excitedly.

true_shinken
2011-05-16, 08:51 PM
That's a very detailed journal.

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-05-16, 09:58 PM
We didn't play much. It'll be better once the players have grown into their roles. Also I wasn't taking good "journal notes."

I expect the next update (around Monday) to be much more entertaining.

Dralnu
2011-05-16, 10:31 PM
Cool journal. Any program you using to make your nice statblocks?

DUNGE0NMA5TER
2011-05-16, 10:48 PM
I have blank stat blocks in a Word document that I just edit for each monster. I usually just print them out and keep them with me when we play.

As for the forums, I typed up the living ooze just by doing the normal html code. I'll probably type up stat blocks of all the monsters I use. Just to show where I've changed the original adventure.

I really like making stat blocks for everything. It's somewhat obsessive. Creating the stat block helps me in two ways. It's like creating a cheat sheet for a test. (1) I have to put the time and effort into creating it. So I know what the monster is capable of and thus I don't forget any of its abilities. (2) If I do forget something, the information is readily available. A good example is Ghasts. I've seen like four DM's forget that they have a stench aura. When I started making the stat blocks... I stopped forgetting about the monsters abilities.

Note:
[hr] works weird on the forums. It draws the horizontal line like this:
[hr]

but if you click edit on the post it turns them all from [hr] into <hr> automatically and then it no longer functions correctly. Thus whenever I edit a post, I have to manually go through and turn all of the <hr> 's back into [hr]. It's ridiculous. Anyone know why this occurs?