PDA

View Full Version : [E6] Custom 6-level classes - yay or nay?

Weimann
2011-04-30, 07:01 PM
As the thread title. Could this be a good idea or would it just completely miss the point?

Kiero
2011-04-30, 07:13 PM
If it involves breaching the very deliberate restrictions placed on casters, missing the point.

Knaight
2011-04-30, 07:27 PM
The notion of homebrew isn't missing the point, though it is very possible for particular homebrew to be bad due to flaws of a point missing variety.

Indon
2011-05-06, 07:33 PM
As the thread title. Could this be a good idea or would it just completely miss the point?

Wouldn't be that hard to homebrew a 6-level class (with optional capstone feat). I daresay it'd be faster and easier than homebrewing a 20-level one, with fewer of the hazards.

And it's not like you can break E6 with a class or mechanic that benefits gradually from feats that will eventually surpass other classes, so long as you don't make anything far and away superior to Incarnum usage.

Coidzor
2011-05-06, 08:14 PM
Hombrew is always a good idea.

Whether any given homebrew is well executed or appropriate is a different, separate issue.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-06, 08:18 PM
I think Mystic Wild Shape Ranger 6 should set the bar for the upper limit of E6 power:
Ranger BAB, saves, HD, and skills plus Spellcraft
Proficient in light armor, simple weapons, and martial ranged weapons
One favored enemy at +2
Fast Movement +10 ft. as a Barbarian
Track, Endurance, Wild Empathy
0-3rd level spells at 3/3/2/1 spells/day
Can prepare and cast Wizard spells from those spell slots via Sword of the Arcane Order
Wild Shape 2/day (small and medium animals, i.e. Fleshraker form 12 hrs/day)

Any homebrew class that isn't as strong as that should be fine.

Just to point out, a Kobold can get 9th level Wizard spellcasting ability at level 6 via Spellhoarding Dragonwrought Loredrake Greater Rite of Passage for 5th level spells, but it's inedibly cheesy.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-07, 11:35 AM
I don't think it would so much miss the point as be more work than necessary. Why not just use homebrew "lean sideways" feats possibly as an alternative to lean forwards feat that these could replicate PrC abilities, add outside spells to spell lists and otherwise broaden the abilities of classes.

Prime32
2011-05-07, 11:41 AM
Here's one I prepared earlier. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11029)

Lyndworm
2011-05-07, 01:19 PM
actually I think that this is a great idea, and one upon which I mighht expand for my own campaign. Good thought, Weimann.

Coidzor
2011-05-08, 05:26 PM
I don't think it would so much miss the point as be more work than necessary. Why not just use homebrew "lean sideways" feats possibly as an alternative to lean forwards feat that these could replicate PrC abilities, add outside spells to spell lists and otherwise broaden the abilities of classes.

Here's one I prepared earlier. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11029)

Both of these intrigue me, and I'll have to consider these further myself.