PDA

View Full Version : A good discipline

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 07:30 PM
I'm a new D&D player, and I'm thinking of entering the Neverending Dungeon to try to improve my character-building skills in general (sort of throwing myself into the deep end of the pool to learn how to swim, or however the expression goes.). What I'm thinking of right now is a Warblade/Factotum (because gestalt) so that I get melee prowess, survivability, and versatility in one package. What would be a good discipline or disciplines to choose my maneuvers from?

Kyuu Himura
2011-04-30, 08:06 PM
Large party -> White Raven
Charging a lot -> White Raven/Tiger Claw
General awesomeness -> Diamond Mind/Iron Heart
Tanking-> Stone Dragon.

as a side note, the best 9th level maneuver out there is Time Stands Still (Diamond Mind), and the best 3rd level ones are White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge (self explanatory), the save replacers are good (Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Mind Over Body. Diamond Mind 1,2,3 respectively), but they aren't all that necessary if you can use factotum to boost your saves.

Steel Wind (Iron Heart 1) is all around awesome when outnumbered, so are the succesors (Mithral Tornado and Adamantine Hurricane. Iron Heart 4 and 8)

Hope that helps.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 08:22 PM
Do you really NEED to fight with a discipline's favored weapons? This is a 1st level character, incidentally.

Kyuu Himura
2011-04-30, 08:32 PM
No, a discipline's favored weapons don't come into play unless a special effect says so, such as a Swordsage's discipline focus or the Shadow Blade Feat.
For everything else, you are free to use any weapon at hand, you're a Warblade, you're that awesome.

If you were to ask me, I would go with Punishing Stance, Steel Wind, Stone Bones and Moment of Perfect Mind for my first maneuvers.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 08:48 PM
I was sort of thinking about something among those lines. I'm not sure if steel wind would be great, since I'm not sure whether NED has you routinely fighting multiple foes.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-30, 09:01 PM
I was sort of thinking about something among those lines. I'm not sure if steel wind would be great, since I'm not sure whether NED has you routinely fighting multiple foes.

If you're facing lots of solo enemies, don't take stone bones, take steely strike.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 09:03 PM
Wouldn't it be better to swap steel wind for steely strike?

ragingrage
2011-04-30, 09:04 PM
I'd definately recommend MoPM, especially if you have a low will save. Try to max concentration as much as you can; and you shouldn't have to worry about any will-save traps or attackers.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-30, 09:08 PM
Wouldn't it be better to swap steel wind for steely strike?

Maybe, but stone bones ages quickly, far more quickly then steely strike. It's only about 2/3 as good by level 2, and 1/3 as good at level 3. Pretty much obsolete once you get to 4th. Though at that level you can trade it away for a higher level maneuver.

Greenish
2011-04-30, 09:15 PM
Maybe, but stone bones ages quickly, far more quickly then steely strike. It's only about 2/3 as good by level 2, and 1/3 as good at level 3. Pretty much obsolete once you get to 4th. Though at that level you can trade it away for a higher level maneuver.Well, in the neverending dungeon, you shouldn't really plan that far ahead, since you get to retrain every level-up, and your most pressing concern is to survive this level.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 09:31 PM
Exactly. So stone bones it is. And no steel wind for me.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 09:36 PM
How about feats? I should get 4 feats (2 from flaws, 1 from 1st level, 1 for human bonus feat) and I don't know all of the incredible multitudes of feats available. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mutazoia
2011-04-30, 09:42 PM
I'm a new D&D player, (snip) What I'm thinking of right now is a Warblade/Factotum (because gestalt)

Whoa..slow down there speedy. If your new to D&D I would hold off on the gestalt cheese until you learn the basics. What your doing is trying to learn to ride a bicycle by putting training wheels on a Harley.

People in this Forum will happily tell you how to build your Warblade/Factotum (and a few have already) but I honestly think you should play one or two of the basic core classes to get a feel for the rules before you start with the power builds.

AslanCross
2011-04-30, 09:47 PM
The Power Attack->Improved Bull Rush -> Shock Trooper tree is one of the best and widely-recommended chains for heavy melee fighters. Power Attack also synergizes well with early maneuvers like Emerald Razor.

You might also want to get into Stormguard Warrior eventually, as it's one of the best Tactical feats, and possibly the best Tactical feat in ToB.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 09:52 PM
Heh, the whole point of this (as I've said before) is to really test myself. If I can do this at least semi-successfully, I'll know how to deal with everything that comes before it. In any case, I already have a pretty solid concept and I tend to be good at these character-building exercises, the only thing holding me back is lack of categorical knowledge of all the feats, maneuvers, etc...

Greenish
2011-04-30, 09:53 PM
Whoa..slow down there speedy. If your new to D&D I would hold off on the gestalt cheese until you learn the basics. What your doing is trying to learn to ride a bicycle by putting training wheels on a Harley.The best way to learn to stand is to try to run, and the best way to learn to swim is to jump to the sea.

Or maybe they're not the best ways, but that's how I learned anyhow. :smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2011-04-30, 10:00 PM
The best way to learn to stand is to try to run, and the best way to learn to swim is to jump to the sea.

Or maybe they're not the best ways, but that's how I learned anyhow. :smalltongue:

Geeze your lucky nobody called Child Protective Services on your parents :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-04-30, 10:20 PM
Geeze your lucky nobody called Child Protective Services on your parents :smallbiggrin:Well, it's much to their credit that I'm still alive. :smallcool:

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 10:37 PM
Well, it's much to their credit that I'm still alive. :smallcool:

STILL alive? Its much to their credit that you're alive at all.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 10:39 PM
So does anyone have any suggestions for good feats to take? Because that's pretty much all I have left to do. Once again, I get 4 feats.

Kyuu Himura
2011-04-30, 10:55 PM
Power Attack (duh!), Font of Inspiration, Improved Bull Rush, one to your choice.

Greenish
2011-04-30, 10:59 PM
Power Attack probably isn't that hot at level 1. Imp. Bull Rush even less so. FoI is a standard, yeah, and Healing Devotion might be worth taking, even more than once.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 11:12 PM
For Healing Devotion, since it works for 1 minute, and each round is 6 seconds, and it heals 1 hp per round, would that mean that you could heal 10 hp out of combat by just waiting a minute? If so, that would be great!

Greenish
2011-04-30, 11:17 PM
For Healing Devotion, since it works for 1 minute, and each round is 6 seconds, and it heals 1 hp per round, would that mean that you could heal 10 hp out of combat by just waiting a minute? If so, that would be great!Yeah, that's how it works. Also activates automatically if you get knocked out, but that probably won't help you too much in TND.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 11:21 PM
Ok, that will pretty much be my main healing option. As a side note that doesn't actually matter for my character, does Crusader Strike (or whatever it's called) grant health if one uses it on something that is not a foe (E.G. a wall, door, etc...)?
Incidentally, do you know any other reliable options for healing that cost 100gp or less?

Greenish
2011-04-30, 11:25 PM
Ok, that will pretty much be my main healing option. As a side note that doesn't actually matter for my character, does Crusader Strike (or whatever it's called) grant health if one uses it on something that is not a foe (E.G. a wall, door, etc...)?No, it specifies that the target has to be actively threatening you or your friends, as well as being of different alignment than you.

The stance might work, having no such language.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 11:30 PM
Do you happen to know any other reliable options for healing that cost 100gp or less (that's how much I have left, and I cant really think of something to burn it all on unless I swapped my scale mail for chainmail, and that's not really a profitable investment).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-30, 11:31 PM
Ok, that will pretty much be my main healing option. As a side note that doesn't actually matter for my character, does Crusader Strike (or whatever it's called) grant health if one uses it on something that is not a foe (E.G. a wall, door, etc...)?
Incidentally, do you know any other reliable options for healing that cost 100gp or less?

A Cure Light wounds Potion (at CL 1 so 1d8+1) costs 50 GP

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 11:33 PM
So I'll buy 2 and keep them just in case.

SlashRunner
2011-04-30, 11:38 PM
No, it specifies that the target has to be actively threatening you or your friends, as well as being of different alignment than you.

If you were, say, evil (the door is certainly not evil) and you had one of your party members stand next to the door and another party member in a position to open the door rather violently, therefore causing harm to the first party member, would that work:smallamused:?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-04-30, 11:39 PM
Feats (assuming you have 4 level 1 + 2 flaws + Human)

So I suggest:
Martial Study: Crusader's Strike
Martial Stance: Martial Spirit
Font of Inspiration
Improved Initiative (you want to make sure you win Initiative)

SlashRunner
2011-05-01, 12:03 AM
No, it specifies that the target has to be actively threatening you or your friends, as well as being of different alignment than you.

Yeah, I think I agree with your choices.

Here's my complete character sheet. Could you guys quickly check it for any glaring flaws before I submit it? Also, any traits that would be particularly useful, or should I just ignore them?

Timothy (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=294662)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-01, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I think I agree with your choices.

Here's my complete character sheet. Could you guys quickly check it for any glaring flaws before I submit it? Also, any traits that would be particularly useful, or should I just ignore them?

I can't see it, I suggest you check if the Sheet is public, which apparently is not.

SlashRunner
2011-05-01, 12:06 AM
There. That should fix it.
I'll put another link, just in case.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-01, 12:15 AM
I don't see any glaring mistakes, it seems quite good; Oh and instead of Sunrods I suggest you look at liquid Sunlight (Complete Scoundrel or Adventurer) it costs 25 GP but it is essentially a non-magical Everburning Torch that you can put out by tucking it in your pocket.

Greenish
2011-05-01, 12:17 AM
A Cure Light wounds Potion (at CL 1 so 1d8+1) costs 50 GPPotion of Lesser Vigor would heal more (fast healing 1 for 11 rounds).

If you were, say, evil (the door is certainly not evil) and you had one of your party members stand next to the door and another party member in a position to open the door rather violently, therefore causing harm to the first party member, would that work:smallamused:?No party members in Neverending Dungeon. :smallamused:

SlashRunner
2011-05-01, 12:20 AM
I don't see any glaring mistakes, it seems quite good; Oh and instead of Sunrods I suggest you look at liquid Sunlight (Complete Scoundrel or Adventurer) it costs 25 GP but it is essentially a non-magical Everburning Torch that you can put out by tucking it in your pocket.

Thanks, may I ask what page?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-01, 12:23 AM
Don't have my books handy, but it is in the alchemical items section.

Greenish
2011-05-01, 12:25 AM
Without bothering to actually open said books, I'm going to claim Complete Scoundrel page 110.

SlashRunner
2011-05-01, 12:28 AM
Mmkay. And how much does a piece of string cost?

Greenish
2011-05-01, 12:32 AM
Mmkay. And how much does a piece of string cost?Depends on what you want to do with it. That's how D&D works.

SlashRunner
2011-05-01, 12:35 AM
I want to put my Liquid Sunlight on a necklace.