PDA

View Full Version : d33 and/or 43?

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-30, 10:02 PM
Okay, I really need a 33 or 43 sided die, for reasons that most likely shouldn't be explained. Does anyone know of one of these? And yes it has to be a d33 or 43, no exceptions.

Blackjackg
2011-04-30, 10:12 PM
Google "Random Number Generator." You will not find any physical polyhedral dice that meet your specifications.

Indon
2011-04-30, 10:14 PM
Okay, I really need a 33 or 43 sided die, for reasons that most likely shouldn't be explained. Does anyone know of one of these? And yes it has to be a d33 or 43, no exceptions.

Roll a d100, ignore any result that is not from 1-33 or 43.

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-30, 10:23 PM
I'm also looking to see if someone will make this kind of dice. Also, I meant it when I said no exceptions. i.e. rolling on a larger die and rerolling if it's higher.

Bang!
2011-04-30, 10:25 PM
I recommend whittling a piece of wood into an odd twisted lumpy shape, painting it, and writing numbers on it between 1 and 43. If it's a terrible enough shape, nobody will bother to make sure that all the numbers are there.:smalltongue:

Unless you actually want a die that will generate a uniform 1:43 distribution.
Then an RNG is your best bet.

Longcat
2011-04-30, 10:26 PM
You aren't, by chance, trying to use that weapon from Sandstorm?

Emperor Ing
2011-04-30, 10:26 PM
Okay, I KNOW that in the OP you implied you didn't want to explain...but I need to know.

WHY?!

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-30, 10:29 PM
My DM will let me used the typoed version of the scorpion-tail whip in Sandstorm, and I can make it lethal damage.

edit:Longcat nailed it.

The Bushranger
2011-04-30, 10:31 PM
The dice roller at Invisible Castle can roll any dice you want, I think.

BillyBobJoe
2011-04-30, 10:34 PM
Yes, and one of the forums we use a lot can roll any dice too, but he wants me to get an actual d20.

rayne_dragon
2011-04-30, 10:39 PM
The only way I can think of to do a d33/43 would be to use the "crystal" type of dice (where the tops and bottoms are pointed and the sides are large flat panels around the middle making it kind of cylindrical). I used to have a whole set of them, although they were only normal die types. Still, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do odd numbers with them... just a 43-sided die is gong to end up being rather large.

I'm guessing your being able to use the weapon is contingent on you finding the required die type as a physical object?

Mando Knight
2011-04-30, 10:39 PM
You could maybe get a 43-sided log-like thing similar to a d3, but there's no way you can make a regular polyhedron with 33 or 43 faces.

ragingrage
2011-04-30, 11:00 PM
Get a sphere, divide it into 33/43 equal sections?

Thane of Fife
2011-05-01, 09:17 AM
Here (http://www.dicecollector.com/MINT26_SHAPEWAYS_MAGIC_D33_KEVIN_COOK_EDITION_DIE_ NUMBER_33333_01.jpg) is a picture of a d33.

Here (http://www.shapeways.com/model/248173/) you can buy one. Note that they're pretty expensive.

dsmiles
2011-05-01, 07:38 PM
You can get a d34 from Chessex (http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Specialty%20Dice/34_sided.htm). That's as close as I could find.

Ranos
2011-05-01, 07:57 PM
Here (http://www.dicecollector.com/MINT26_SHAPEWAYS_MAGIC_D33_KEVIN_COOK_EDITION_DIE_ NUMBER_33333_01.jpg) is a picture of a d33.

Here (http://www.shapeways.com/model/248173/) you can buy one. Note that they're pretty expensive.

You have got to be kidding. Why do these things even exist ? :smalleek:
Are people actually buying d33s ?

ClockShock
2011-05-01, 09:31 PM

It's... it's beautiful...

Ravens_cry
2011-05-01, 09:58 PM
My spidey senses make me think those images are CGI. Whether the product is real is another question, but the images look rendered.

Cog
2011-05-01, 10:15 PM
That's rendered, yes. The first one looks to be real.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-01, 10:39 PM
That's rendered, yes. The first one looks to be real.
I agree the die in the first link, which I didn't quote, looks real, the others look really fake. The question remains though, why? Surely they can take a photograph of their own product.

Cog
2011-05-01, 10:57 PM
My guess is that the rendering shows the edges better. The angles are shallow enough that you can't see them at all in the other pic, so it's hard to see how they got a distribution for 33 numbers.

Thane of Fife
2011-05-02, 06:36 AM
I agree the die in the first link, which I didn't quote, looks real, the others look really fake. The question remains though, why? Surely they can take a photograph of their own product.

I believe that that company is one which makes dice to order, rather than just selling from a stock. Also, from the sidebar, it appears that that die's only been available for a few days. So it's possible that they haven't actually made any yet.

If you were concerned about their authenticity, you could ask Kevin Cook about it in his thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50601&page=18).

Tyndmyr
2011-05-02, 08:02 AM
Check out the white rendered picture...the numbers don't even match up with the faces!

Gravitron5000
2011-05-02, 08:45 AM
Check out the white rendered picture...the numbers don't even match up with the faces!

That's because there is an odd number of faces/die results. When resting on a face a non face will be at the uppermost extent of the die.

Seb Wiers
2011-05-02, 08:58 AM

Its somebody selling a model on Shapeways, so there is no "product" until the purchaser requests a 3-d printed instance of the model (which can be made of a variety of materials, at purchaser's request).

Do you also complain when there's no picture of the book for sale on Lulu?

Jay R
2011-05-02, 09:02 AM

Consider a d4. The number doesn't have to match up with a face on top. It has to match up to a face on the bottom, where the die stops rolling.

Jay R
2011-05-02, 09:03 AM
That's because there is an odd number of faces/die results. When resting on a face a non face will be at the uppermost extent of the die.

Not quite. It's because there's not a face on top when the die stops rolling. The same thing happens on a d4, which has an even number of faces.

Jay R
2011-05-02, 09:06 AM

I remember the first time I saw a d34. I said to the salesclerk, "That's ridiculous. Nobody has any use for a d34. They just made that to see if anybody is stupid enough to buy a die for which there is no possible use."

"Gimme two."

OracleofWuffing
2011-05-02, 09:13 AM
I believe that that company is one which makes dice to order, rather than just selling from a stock. Also, from the sidebar, it appears that that die's only been available for a few days. So it's possible that they haven't actually made any yet.
Yeah, that's how Shapeways works- though it's not all dice there (I'm working on some tokens there, myself). The creator could also lack a means to photograph a print, somehow, in this world, too, but if it's up for sale, it can be printed in one of their materials, as the model file has already been put through tests on being 2-manifold and thick enough to print.

Do note that there's a $25 minimum charge, if that's a concern. White Strong and Flexible is probably the best combination of price and detail, and it supposedly paints very well. You could also try bugging the artist with the "Send Message" link to enable printing in Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail, which will be kinda clear but has better tolerance for fine details.

Also, you could just buy a d66/86 that's numbered 1-33/1-43 twice. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-05-02, 10:35 AM
Its somebody selling a model on Shapeways, so there is no "product" until the purchaser requests a 3-d printed instance of the model (which can be made of a variety of materials, at purchaser's request).

Do you also complain when there's no picture of the book for sale on Lulu?
Well, that's rather different as not a lot about a book can be told about its cover as it is the content that is important. While looking at a picture of the die can tell you something of how well it is manufactured. Are the numbers clear, does it look to be well made? I am not saying it is dishonest, I just find it rather odd.

OracleofWuffing
2011-05-02, 11:08 AM
I know it matters little, because it's not the same model, but here's (http://www.shapeways.com/model/192730/d12_num.html?gid=sg7799) a die by the same person that has photos of the print, along with a video to get a visual feel for things.

Magic
2011-05-02, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

I am the designer of this die. I can answer most of your questions, but from what I understand from the rules of your forum, I am not allowed to do so here (unfortunatelly, I am selling them :smallsmile:).
But feel free to contact me through PM, through Shapeways forum or directly at my email address: [email protected]
Regards,

Magic

Magic
2011-05-09, 04:09 PM
OK, I am sorry: I did not want to scare you... :smallsmile:

So just to clarify some points:
- Why a D33? This is a special order from Kevin Cook (D33 Kevin Cook Edition) for his 33333rd die, but I design dice with any number of sides (for instance 9, 11, 15, 17...) just for pleasure. Are they useless? Well, anything is useless until you find a usage for it. So, it's up to you... But I also design regular dice.
- as it is a special order I give to Kevin some kind of "exclusivity" in time, and did not release the Regular Edition until very recently. That's why there is no picture of the Regular Edition yet, but only a CG Rendering (I always try do to CG Renderings very "clean and perfect" so that they could not been confused with actual pictures). The image from Kevin Cook website instead is a picture of an actual print (you can see clearly the layers).
- you understood that the numbers are on the edges because, in this case, the opposite of a face is an edge.
- and finally there is also another version of the D33 in a new material (not tested yet) that will be smaller and thus less expensive (Frosted Edition).

Hope this helps.

If you have some special wish for a die with unusual number of sides, just let me know and I will see if it is feasable (for 43 it is really difficult: the best I can think is 43= 5+11+11+11+5 that is 5 circles at each "pole" of the die, 11 circles at each "tropic" and 11 more at the "equator", but I really dont know how to calculate the correct angles :smallconfused:).

Cheers,

Magic.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-09, 10:18 PM
If you have some special wish for a die with unusual number of sides, just let me know and I will see if it is feasable (for 43 it is really difficult: the best I can think is 43= 5+11+11+11+5 that is 5 circles at each "pole" of the die, 11 circles at each "tropic" and 11 more at the "equator", but I really dont know how to calculate the correct angles :smallconfused:).

Cheers,

Magic.

Hmm, the best I can think of is a d12's "equator" and then the rest of the faces built around that... But I'm thinking more of a standard dice than sphere.

Though, mainly I post that because I wanted to be marginally constructive before I posted:

How in the world, with how long this forum has been around; a forum based on D&D, was the name Magic not taken? :smallbiggrin: Congratulations on getting that name.

PetterTomBos
2011-05-10, 02:40 AM
Take either two d3's of differnet color or a d3 and a d4 ;)

Magic
2011-05-10, 02:29 PM
But I'm thinking more of a standard dice than sphere.

Actually, each "Truncated Sphere" die is constructed from an underlying polyhedron (that is a more standard polyhedral die): each face of this polyhedron being at equal distance from the center. The reason why I intersect this polyhedron with a sphere is forcing all the faces to have the same area. It is a guarantee that the die is "as fair as possible"

How in the world, with how long this forum has been around; a forum based on D&D, was the name Magic not taken?
:smallbiggrin: Magic is a pseudo I used in Shapeways because, initially, I wanted to design Magic Cubes (i.e. Rubik's-like cubes). This was before I discovered that there were more gifted designers than me in this field. But fortunately, designing dice gives me a lot of satisfaction (I love geometry...).

Tengu_temp
2011-05-10, 03:02 PM
Take either two d3's of differnet color or a d3 and a d4 ;)

Good luck rolling 7 on that dice.

Magic
2011-05-13, 12:55 AM
For those who are afraid by exotic number of faces, I receive yesteday a set of more "classical" dice, in metal (they are quite heavy, do not throw them too hard, you could hurt someone :smalltongue:).
You can see the pictures here (http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=4339&goto=27430#msg_27430).
I am very happy with the result...

I also ordered the D33 Glazed Edition, but I am still waiting for it. Waiting is probably the most difficult part of the process... :smallannoyed:

Magic
2011-06-10, 03:33 PM
Finally, my last post on this topic (unless I find a way to do the D43, of course :smallsmile:)
I did receive the D33 in Frosted Detail, but I haven't finished inking the numbers yet (and you need to do something because with this new material you can barely distinguish the numbers).
Fortunately, in the meantime, 2 dice collectors (Kevin whom you already know, and Justin) received this same die and did a better job than me in highlighting the numbers:
- version from Kevin (dyed): http://www.dicecollector.com/MINT27_SHAPEWAYS_MAGIC_D33_FROSTED_EDITION_01.jpg
- version from Justin (inked): http://www.dicecollector.net/JM/d33.a.jpg
Hope you like this new version which is smaller (2 cm of diameter instead of 3).

Honest Tiefling
2011-06-10, 04:00 PM
@BillyBobJoe: Please, please, please take a picture of your DM's face when you whip out the die, if you choose to purchase one. I am willing to bet they made you search for the die to prevent you from using that item.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-06-10, 04:12 PM
Why Magic, what do you have against me? You are making me want to buy a die I have no use for. :smalltongue:

Magic
2011-06-12, 04:55 PM
Why Magic, what do you have against me?
Well, nothing personal, of course...
But never underestimate the attractive power of what seems useless... :smallbiggrin:
The D33 is just an example. Other "useless" dice in the Truncated Sphere collection include D9, D11, D15, D17 and D18. The D14 instead can be used to choose a weekday (14 = 2 x 7), and I am working on a D24 that could be useful to select an hour...