PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Druid (FRCS) questions.

vageta31
2011-04-30, 11:11 PM
I started a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10898329#post10898329), but now my questions are bit more focused on the forgotten realms setting than general guidelines. Basic idea is I'm starting a new Druid in an FRCS game and wanted to figure out the optimum build I could come up with within the rules. I had a few more questions for those familiar with the setting and maybe shed light on anything I may have missed.

The other thread is more specific, but basically it's level 1, my rolls can't be adjusted and no PB. DM is strict and so I don't have access to magic items, wands or anything like that. It's basically roll for starting gold, no freebies unless he gives me something special within my background(he did before with my Rogue). I came up with this:

Strongheart Halfing of Miliekka, Halfing Substitution Level 1

Str:10(-2 halfing)(originally a 12)
Dex: 15 (+2 halfing)(originally a 13)
Con: 15
Int: 9
Wis: 17
Cha: 6

That gives me 10 hit points at level 1 (more than my stupid Rogue had!).
Miliekka allows her druids to use weapons and armor of a Ranger. (metal)
Western Heartland Region allows me a masterwork chain shirt for free as starting equipment.
Riding Dog with Warbeast template. (Trained as part of background)
My armor was free so I can afford to buy my dog Barding.
Greenbound(FRCS) or Ashbound feat at level 1.

So with that said it still leaves a few questions.

1. Miliekka allows her druids to use ranger weapons and armor without penalties, but it is unclear if that means they get the actual proficiencies to use them. I was thinking about taking a longspear for range fighting using my dog in front but that depends on how the wording is interpreted.

2. I'm am unclear about the riding dog trained for war + warbeast template. The riding dog that is trained for war only has 2HD so obviously doesn't have the template. What it gains is the extra str and trip ability. So does that mean I can take that dog and train it with the warbeast template, thus giving him the extra HD and other goodies along WITH the trip and str?

3. In order to take the Greenbound or Ashbound feats I'll have to write it in my backstory. And since I was the only one that give him a fleshed out backstory compared to the others this won't be an issue. I just have to try and find a believable way to explain why my halfling druid would come about the ability to use this special summoning from "ancient elven knowledge". Also it doesn't say that you can't, however it may be a tough sell to ask for both. Greenbound is very strong, however it does seem to have a negative as you lose the ability to buff your summons with animal spells at some point.

4. I can see only one negative for taking the halfing druid substitution level and that's the loss of spontaneous SNA. However the benefits are great. More skill points and skills, on top of a nice bonus for using your AC as a mount. +4 ride check, AC shares woodland stride with you, etc...

If I can't manage to talk him into one of the summoning feats I could always do the focus conjuration/augment summoning combo but it's costly and won't do me much good at these levels with the short time the summons last. At level 3 I'd probably take extend spell or something, then of course at level 6 I'd take natural spell.

Anything else I may be missing?

Squiggles
2011-05-01, 01:56 AM
Regarding #3 I propose you come from an area that's not far from an Elven city that predates say, the Fourth Crown War, and that growing up in proximity to said Elven ruins has allowed you alter your summonings. Mmmm.. osmosis.

Consult Lost Empires of Faerun for a whole slew of ancient elven ruins and possible areas.

I can't comment on the Ashbound feat as I've never played anything involving Eberron material.

vageta31
2011-05-01, 03:14 AM
Regarding #3 I propose you come from an area that's not far from an Elven city that predates say, the Fourth Crown War, and that growing up in proximity to said Elven ruins has allowed you alter your summonings. Mmmm.. osmosis.

Consult Lost Empires of Faerun for a whole slew of ancient elven ruins and possible areas.

I can't comment on the Ashbound feat as I've never played anything involving Eberron material.

Actually I was reading through it and found a way. My region is going to be the Western Heartlands. Which... just happens to be the exact same spot on the map where the high forest area of the Earlanni Elves used to be. Which... just happens to be the exact elves mentioned that used that ancient summoning technique. I guess it wouldn't be hard to have my Druid come from a clan that stumbled upon some ancient Earlanni ruins and found ancient texts describing this type of summoning.

I still think I'll offer to take Ashbound instead just incase as Greenbound is pretty powerful. Or maybe since I'm the only Divine caster in the party full of melee we might just need it.

Squiggles
2011-05-01, 04:54 AM
Mm, Western Heartlands means you can use Evereska