PDA

View Full Version : How much does string cost?

SlashRunner
2011-05-01, 12:56 AM
I want a piece of string for my character to craft a necklace out of with a Liquid Sunlight. How much would this cost (or would the cost be considered negligible?)?

Thurbane
2011-05-01, 12:58 AM
Definitely negligible. 1cp, at most.

According to Arms & Equipment Guide (p.22) a 50 foot roll of twine is 1sp. Also in Dungeonscape (p. 30) for the same price.

candycorn
2011-05-01, 04:19 AM
Twine has other uses too... For example, you could use it to lower your liquid sunlight necklace down a pit to see the bottom... You could tie it to a gold coin and toss the coin ahead of you to reveal trip lines...

I'll leave it to you to discover other uses, but simple alarm systems, and a variety of other tricks are possible.

Thurbane
2011-05-01, 04:25 AM
Actually, one thing makes me curious...rope has a listed break DC (23 hempen, 24 silk). What would be a reasonable bread DC for twine? It wouldn't be as high as rope, but still, if you grab two ends of a piece of twine, it's a lot harder to snap than you might think...

candycorn
2011-05-01, 08:54 AM
Actually, one thing makes me curious...rope has a listed break DC (23 hempen, 24 silk). What would be a reasonable bread DC for twine? It wouldn't be as high as rope, but still, if you grab two ends of a piece of twine, it's a lot harder to snap than you might think...

But possible for the average person, with a couple attempts. No higher than 12-14, but higher than 10.

Ernir
2011-05-01, 09:29 AM
But possible for the average person, with a couple attempts. No higher than 12-14, but higher than 10.

Breaking down a simple wooden (interior) door is DC 13. Twine may be tough, but it's not harder than that.

I'd call it a DC 10. You might fail on the first try when it surprises you, but an average person isn't going to keep trying and failing on it.

Also, it might be more appropriate as a DC 2 or something, with a big penalty on the check due to how unwieldy the thread is. I don't think anyone could fail to snap thread (except on some kind of embarrassing fumble) if you could kick it while it's fixed between two points.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-01, 10:26 AM

The bread DC? Dunno about that, but I reckon the break DC would depend on what you use. If you really want to break it, just cut it on a sword edge or something.

gallagher
2011-05-01, 10:55 AM
string is free if you steal it. you are an adventurer, you dont need to follow local laws that protect its vendors of whom you will likely never see again

Leon
2011-05-01, 10:56 AM
Depends How long it is.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-01, 11:22 AM
string is free if you steal it. you are an adventurer, you dont need to follow local laws that protect its vendors of whom you will likely never see again

Not everyone plays chaotic or evil characters. Fair point, though. Everything is free if you rob it from some nameless NPC.