PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds, Slight Build, and Confound the Big Folk

NineThePuma
2011-05-01, 03:06 PM
Can I use the Kobold racial feature 'Slight Build' to use Confound the Big Folk on medium-sized foes?

Cog
2011-05-01, 03:11 PM
No. Slight Build has a specific list of what it works for, including opposed checks and the squeezing rules, but simple size requirements are not one of those things.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 03:20 PM
Really? I thought slight build was the exact opposite of Powerful Build. :smallconfused:

Greenish
2011-05-01, 03:23 PM
Really? I thought slight build was the exact opposite of Powerful Build. :smallconfused:It mostly is. Perhaps you're confused as to what Powerful Build actually does (hint: it doesn't make you be treated as a size larger in every situation where that would be beneficial).

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 03:28 PM
But now I'm even more confused. Doesn't Races of Stone explicitly say that Goliaths qualify for feats with Large size as a prerequisites, because of their powerful build trait? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Yeah, Fling Ally and Fling Enemy. Surely this means that Kobolds qualify for things with the Tiny size prerequisite?

Cog
2011-05-01, 03:40 PM
But now I'm even more confused. Doesn't Races of Stone explicitly say that Goliaths qualify for feats with Large size as a prerequisites, because of their powerful build trait? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Yeah, Fling Ally and Fling Enemy. Surely this means that Kobolds qualify for things with the Tiny size prerequisite?
No, those feats have specific exceptions to allow Goliaths to take them. By a close reading, even half-giants can't take those feats, because it's a goliath's Powerful Build that qualifies.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 03:42 PM
Okay. It seems like a rather strict ruling (Half-Giants can't qualify?), but one cannot really argue with your logic. My apologies. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2011-05-01, 03:43 PM
But now I'm even more confused. Doesn't Races of Stone explicitly say that Goliaths qualify for feats with Large size as a prerequisites, because of their powerful build trait?No, but the weird phrasing of the feats you mentioned seems to imply the designers at least at one point considered making it work like that, or perhaps didn't realize how it actually works.

Besides, Confound the Big Folk only requires Small or smaller, so kobolds qualify. They just can't use the options against a medium-sized opponent.

Coidzor
2011-05-01, 05:41 PM
No, but the weird phrasing of the feats you mentioned seems to imply the designers at least at one point considered making it work like that, or perhaps didn't realize how it actually works.

Besides, Confound the Big Folk only requires Small or smaller, so kobolds qualify. They just can't use the options against a medium-sized opponent.

Without some way of shrinking down, anyway.

If you have a wizard or sorcerer friend, now... :smallamused: Well, it costs some XP, but if you die and get Shrink Item Permanency'D on you, it still works after you're brought back to life and a creature again. Or at least it does if you're brought back as an undead.

Cog
2011-05-01, 05:49 PM
(Half-Giants can't qualify?)
The book is Races of Stone, not Races of Bigness. Why is it strange that the book would offer exceptions that specifically benefit one of the races introduced in that same book?

Edit: For taking advantage of smallness, I like tibbit Psychic Rogues.

LOTRfan
2011-05-01, 05:52 PM
The book is Races of Stone, not Races of Bigness. Why is it strange that the book would offer exceptions that specifically benefit one of the races introduced in that same book?

Its not strange, I guess, but flinging allies and enemies seem to be more, well, "bigness" oriented.

Urpriest
2011-05-01, 06:28 PM
Its not strange, I guess, but flinging allies and enemies seem to be more, well, "bigness" oriented.

You should buy Races of Bigness then. It gives new character options for Goliaths, Half-Giants, and obese Dwarves.

NineThePuma
2011-05-01, 06:29 PM
obese Dwarves.

Aren't those just stout (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#stout) Dwarves?

Zaranthan
2011-05-01, 07:57 PM
Reduce Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reducePerson.htm) is a 1st level spell. Get yourself a nice vest of shrinking or whatever.

Vangor
2011-05-01, 10:37 PM
Recommend speaking with your DM, or if you are the DM merely ruling this way, to let slight build function in all ways beneficial to being one size category smaller save for attack and armor class bonuses. Slight build has great value for NPC kobolds, primarily, who can utilizes restricted spaces of their warrens. PC kobolds, on the other hand, are not in such small areas the majority of their lives, and thus receive little (hide bonus and...weight?). Such a change to slight build will do little but does make such a feat an obvious choice.

RaginChangeling
2011-05-01, 10:48 PM
Recommend speaking with your DM, or if you are the DM merely ruling this way, to let slight build function in all ways beneficial to being one size category smaller save for attack and armor class bonuses. Slight build has great value for NPC kobolds, primarily, who can utilizes restricted spaces of their warrens. PC kobolds, on the other hand, are not in such small areas the majority of their lives, and thus receive little (hide bonus and...weight?). Such a change to slight build will do little but does make such a feat an obvious choice.

Hey, they can also use Tiny sized weapons without penalties. For all those times you just had to wield that sweet sword a pixie was threatening you with. :smallcool:

Greenish
2011-05-02, 04:20 PM
Aren't those just stout (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#stout) Dwarves?I think "obese" is a flaw from one of the dragon magazines, but I'm not sure.

Lappy9000
2011-05-02, 04:23 PM
You should buy Races of Bigness then. It gives new character options for Goliaths, Half-Giants, and obese Dwarves.Unnecessary amounts of sarcasm for legitimate logic, please?

JaronK
2011-05-02, 07:13 PM
I'd love to see Races of the Giants, personally. With lots of melee friendly abilities that involve throwing big rocks, hitting people really hard, wielding ridiculously large weapons, and generally just throwing your weight around. That would be an awesome book.

JaronK