PDA

View Full Version : Permanent spell effects needed

Qwertystop
2011-05-01, 04:08 PM
What I am trying to do is have a character who has been "cursed" with a whole lot of spells made permanent in some way, whether by Permanancy, subcutaneous slotless items, or something else. However, I am having a bit of trouble with it. Questions are as follows:

1: Is there a spell/power/other thing like that that is equivalent to Reverse Gravity, but single-target? AFAIK, Reverse Gravity itself has a cylinder area of effect, which is not what I need.

2: Is there a way to get a Fascinate effect as a constant gaze attack? That is, no need to recast each time someone has to save against it. (The reason this would be a curse is that it will be always active passively, unusable as an attack action, and suppressed in any combat situation, all of which are RP-solvable)

WinWin
2011-05-01, 04:46 PM
1. Levitate?

2. As a gaze? Not that I am aware of. Persistant Animate Instrument with Bardic Fascinate would effect everything within 90'. Once they save the targets are immune though.

Qwertystop
2011-05-01, 04:54 PM
The Fascinate thing could also be an AOE centered on the person, since that's essentially what the passive part of a Gaze Attack is anyway.

What I'm looking for with the Reverse Gravity is "you can act exactly as you would have, but upside-down on the ceiling". Levitate is more like a Fly spell with movement controlled by the caster, plus that attacking penalty.

EDIT: Where's Animate Instrument? Can't find it in my PHB or Spell Compendium.

WinWin
2011-05-01, 06:26 PM
Animate Instrument is in Complete Scoundrel. 1st or 2nd level Bard Spell that can sustain bardic music effects.

As for reverse gravity, you could Shape the metamagic, or use spell research to make a lower level single target version. Drop the range or even make it Touch. About all I can think of.

holywhippet
2011-05-01, 06:27 PM
An archmage can reshape a spell - in theory they could make reverse gravity into a 5 foot square rather than it being a cylinder.

Qwertystop
2011-05-01, 06:40 PM
An archmage can reshape a spell - in theory they could make reverse gravity into a 5 foot square rather than it being a cylinder.

Actually, I just checked and it turns out it's 10 foot cubes, an amount by caster level.

holywhippet
2011-05-01, 08:51 PM
Actually, I just checked and it turns out it's 10 foot cubes, an amount by caster level.

Mastery of Shaping

The archmage can alter area and effect spells that use one of the following shapes: burst, cone, cylinder, emanation, or spread. The alteration consists of creating spaces within the spell’s area or effect that are not subject to the spell. The minimum dimension for these spaces is a 5-foot cube. Furthermore, any shapeable spells have a minimum dimension of 5 feet instead of 10 feet. This ability costs one 6th-level spell slot.

In theory you should be able to exclude all space outside of the target.

Cog
2011-05-01, 08:56 PM
In theory you should be able to exclude all space outside of the target.
That will give you a very small space of reversed gravity, but it won't do anything for making the reversed gravity follow the victim around. "10' cubes per level" isn't one of the shapes that qualifies for being modified by Master of Shaping anyway.

holywhippet
2011-05-01, 09:52 PM
That will give you a very small space of reversed gravity, but it won't do anything for making the reversed gravity follow the victim around. "10' cubes per level" isn't one of the shapes that qualifies for being modified by Master of Shaping anyway.

Enchant it into an item, curse it and strap it onto the victim.