PDA

View Full Version : [V:tR]Lancea Sanctum and Astrology.

Pigkappa
2011-05-01, 04:14 PM
This thread is about the New World of Darkness, particularly Vampire: The Requiem.

I'm considering joining the live chronicle of Vampire that's running in my city. I've played V:tR for two years in the tabletop version and I've been in the Lancea Sanctum for a few months, but I've never really studied its principles in detail. I've been thinking of proposing myself as the astrologist of the covenant.

How does the Lancea Sanctum consider astrology? Is it reliable, is it unreliable but an important tradition, or is it just crap for the heretics which needs to be banned?

comicshorse
2011-05-02, 09:42 PM
The answer is obvious : you are wasting your time with the Lancea Sanctum and should join us in the Ordo Dracul where your abilities will be allowed to flourish to their fullest extent

( More on track I haven't read the Lancea book being a P.C. rather than a G.M. but as far as I'm aware they do have their own occult rites and secrets, though of course these are approved of by god. So the reaction to this will very much depend on the individual view of whoever is running the Lancea Sanctum in your game.)

Suedars
2011-05-05, 07:18 PM
As comicshorse notes, that sort of mystical pseudoscience is thematically much more at home in the Ordo Dracul.

The Sanctum is generally a pretty conservative covenant and would likely frown on such things. Of course, that needn't always be the case. In cities where the Sanctum has been institutionally entrenched for years there will likely be little room for such things. In cities where it has a smaller following, or is currently going through a revivalist movement, a charismatic Kindred could likely carve himself a niche as an astrologist.

Also, although the Sanctum is heavily influenced by Christian (especially Catholic) movements where such mysticism wouldn't be well looked upon, it does also draw from the other Abrahamic religions. In a city where Sanctum teaching is more influenced by Islam or Judaism you could quite reasonably expect there to be an astrologist or something similar due to those religions' stronger mystical traditions.

While the default would probably have astrology being frowned upon as Ordo Dracul heresy, there are definitely ways to incorporate it. I'd recommend running it by your ST.