PDA

View Full Version : Nonlegacy Sunsword and Morphing Enchantment

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 05:10 PM
I am curious. I recently upgraded a character's equipment and invested in Lesser Sun Blades (I believe they are from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft). 3000gp for +1 bastard sword that is, for all intents and purposes, a +1 short sword that deal bastard sword damage.
My question is, the weapon is a bastard sword, so a 1-1 1/2 handed weapon but is treated as a light weapon for most purposes. If you were to add the Morphing enchantment would you be able to morph it into any hand-and-a-half weapon or any light weapon or both?

Thanks.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-01, 05:12 PM
I am curious. I recently upgraded a character's equipment and invested in Lesser Sun Blades (I believe they are from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft). 3000gp for +1 bastard sword that is, for all intents and purposes, a +1 short sword that deal bastard sword damage.
My question is, the weapon is a bastard sword, so a 1-1 1/2 handed weapon but is treated as a light weapon for most purposes. If you were to add the Morphing enchantment would you be able to morph it into any hand-and-a-half weapon or any light weapon or both?

Thanks.

I think by RAW you could morph it into a One-handed weapon or a light weapon.

Cog
2011-05-01, 05:46 PM
The Sunsword is primarily a bastard sword, making it a one-handed weapon for the purposes of morphing. Note that nothing in the description allows you to wield it as a short sword; you are merely proficient with the Sunsword if you are proficient with a short sword. You must bond with it to be able to wield it as a short sword - and so to treat it as a light weapon - but in wielding it as a short sword, you are no longer wielding it as a bastard sword, and so take all the benefits and penalties of light weapons in that case.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 06:01 PM
The Sunsword is primarily a bastard sword, making it a one-handed weapon for the purposes of morphing. Note that nothing in the description allows you to wield it as a short sword; you are merely proficient with the Sunsword if you are proficient with a short sword. You must bond with it to be able to wield it as a short sword - and so to treat it as a light weapon - but in wielding it as a short sword, you are no longer wielding it as a bastard sword, and so take all the benefits and penalties of light weapons in that case.

According to p. 218 of EtCR the Nonlegacy Sunsword "When wielded by a good character, the blade can be wielded as if a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use [...] an individual proficient with either the bastard sword or the short sword can use the Sunsword with equal proficiency".

Cog
2011-05-01, 06:14 PM
According to p. 218 of EtCR the Nonlegacy Sunsword "When wielded by a good character, the blade can be wielded as if a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use [...] an individual proficient with either the bastard sword or the short sword can use the Sunsword with equal proficiency".
The primary stats for the weapon are given on pages 210-211. Those rules take priority; the latter information is less precise. If you decide to accept the latter material instead, though, the two way of wielding the weapon are incompatible, so you still have all the usual benefits and penalties of light weapons.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 06:28 PM
The primary stats for the weapon are given on pages 210-211. Those rules take priority; the latter information is less precise. If you decide to accept the latter material instead, though, the two way of wielding the weapon are incompatible, so you still have all the usual benefits and penalties of light weapons.

On p. 210 it states that the unbonded effects (listed before the bonding ritual) which are precisely what p. 218 states about a nonlegacy Sunsword, to which I am referring in this thread.

On p. 211, after describing the bonding ritual, they mention the benefits you get for bonding with the weapon.

Cog
2011-05-01, 06:38 PM
They are not precisely the same. The text on page 210 is in the standard magic item format. If you are using the Sunsword as a standard magic item, that is what you should be looking at.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 06:51 PM
They are not precisely the same. The text on page 210 is in the standard magic item format. If you are using the Sunsword as a standard magic item, that is what you should be looking at.

And according to p. 210 the unbonded effect of a Sunsword is that it can be wielded by a character proficient with short swords or bastard swords.

Cog
2011-05-01, 06:53 PM
That's exactly what I said in my very first post, yes. There's nothing in that about changing the handedness of it.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 07:03 PM
That's exactly what I said in my very first post, yes. There's nothing in that about changing the handedness of it.

Yes, but I disagree that that is the information pertinent to the nonlegacy Sunsword because on page 218 it openly describes the "nonlegacy game statistics" which are what I am using when referring to a "nonlegacy Sunsword" as in the title of the thread. There it states that it is wielded as a short sword. Sorry for the confusion, I thought it was pretty clear.

Cog
2011-05-01, 07:10 PM
Page 210 is in the magic item section. Page 218 is in the legacy item section. You're arguing that the latter is more relevant when you're looking for nonlegacy statistics.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 07:19 PM
Page 210 is in the magic item section. Page 218 is in the legacy item section. You're arguing that the latter is more relevant when you're looking for nonlegacy statistics.

In my opinion the two are and the same, with regards to fluff. They both have bonding rituals with costs and hp and skill sacrifices.

That aside, when referring to the "nonlegacy Sunsword" I was referring to the item, using the "nonlegacy game stats". I believe both are the same item, making both the legacy item. But I was referring to it not being used as an awakened/bound legacy item, just a Sunsword, as listed.

For additional clarification, I used the info on p. 218 when I made the thread. You can still by the legacy item without using any of the legacy properties and continue to advance it as a magic weapon, even though it's special. As that is what I used when making the thread, and because there is no reason why you can't add additional enchantments onto a legacy weapon; can we continue the discussion?

That aside, I appreciate your insight on it morphing as a one handed weapon and not as a light.