PDA

View Full Version : Best Swift and Immediate Spells

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-01, 05:54 PM
If there's one thing a gish or a spellcaster loves it's spells you can cast without worrying about losing out that round. The same goes for wand wielders, who can not necessarily add Quicken Spell or the like to their wands.
What are some of your favourite swift and immediate casting time spells? If you can, list sources.

I'm partial to Wing's of Cover (Sor 2, RotD) for canceling an incoming attack.
Focusing Chant (Bard 1, SC) gives a +1 on attack rolls, ability checks and skills checks for a minute. Well worth it in my mind.

EDIT: Can't forget Wraithstrike (Sor/Wiz/Assassin 2, CAdv) Make melee attacks touch attacks.

holywhippet
2011-05-01, 06:17 PM
Arcane types should always try to have a feather fall spell handy just in case the floor literally drops out from under them.

WinWin
2011-05-01, 06:32 PM
I prefer free action triggers. Contingency for the win.

Blood Wind would be my favorite swift spell, tied with Wraithstrike.

Metahuman1
2011-05-01, 06:46 PM
I kinda like Mass Snakes Swiftness form the Spell compendium. The whole party get's an extra attack at highest BAB, and becuase for you it's a swift action, you can still full attack the round you cast it. I think the extra attack also stacks with the extra attack form haste for serious win.

Cog
2011-05-01, 06:52 PM
Both Snake's Swiftness and the Mass version are standard actions, not swift.

faceroll
2011-05-01, 08:07 PM
I like Mirror Image, Greater. Swift fly and swift invis are great on half-casters, like gishes.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-02, 09:52 AM
Both Snake's Swiftness and the Mass version are standard actions, not swift.

Ya, I made this mistake as well, but casting time is standard.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-05-02, 10:06 AM
Okay, so I apparently double thread created (how does that even happen?).

Below is the link for the other thread of the same name. I've added all the posts from this thread to that one and we'll leave this one to die.

link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10906848#post10906848 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10906848#post10906848)

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-02, 10:11 AM
"Winged Watcher" from Complete Scoundrel is interesting, at least; it turns you into a bird for 1 r/l as a swift action, and it's a 1st level spell. Mind, being a bird for that long is fairly useless, as it doesn't last long enough to spy and you can't cast spells, but 1: it *is* a level 1 flight spell, and 2: if threatened you can cast a standard spell, cast winged watcher, and be into the air before enemy melee can get to you.