PDA

View Full Version : Good Ur Priest?

tuesdayscoming
2011-05-01, 08:57 PM
I seem to remember there being a Good-flavored Ur Priest type caster (that is, a fast-progression divine caster).

Does such a thing exist? Anyone know where it's from? Or am I just losing my mind?

Urpriest
2011-05-01, 08:59 PM
The Apostle of Peace is my ugly cousin, and probably what you're thinking of. Unlike us glorious Ur-Priests, Apostles of Peace only get a limited list of buff spells that doesn't even include the good ones.

tuesdayscoming
2011-05-01, 09:07 PM
That was, indeed, what I was thinking of.

My goodness, though, what and ugly cousin! I had no idea that their spell list was so bad, nor that the feat requirements for the class were so daunting.

Well, that puts a damper on my plans... All the same, thank you sir!

Yuki Akuma
2011-05-01, 09:08 PM
Pretty sure Ur-Priests don't lose their class features if they become Good.

So if you're starting at a high enough level, you could play an Ur-Priest who turned away from the Dark Side?

Or just waive the alignment restriction because it's retarded.

tuesdayscoming
2011-05-01, 09:11 PM
Yeah, the real kicker is the fluff of 'Ur Priests despise gods'.

My real-life DM is a stickler for fluff requirements, and this bit throws a wrench in the works for a Ruby Knight Windicator.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-01, 09:11 PM

I have to agree. What if you only steal power from the Evil gods? There are few things more Good than that.

My real-life DM is a stickler for fluff requirements

I feel your pain. This always makes creating characters so much more difficult. I had a GM who refused to let me join an order of paladins because I was a DMM Cleric, and not a Paladin.

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-01, 09:14 PM

This.

The only reason that Ur-Priests have that alignment restriction is because the class was designed for the evil, god-hating human subrace from the Book of Vile Darkness (who obviously wouldn't have access to normal Clerics).

The Glyphstone
2011-05-01, 09:16 PM
Maybe you're thinking of the Adaptation section of the Ur-priest, where it talks about ur-priests who instead siphon power from dead or forgotten gods. They could be non-evil, at least.

WinWin
2011-05-01, 09:18 PM
See if you can get the 'Dead God' variant mentioned in complete divine.

Wings of Peace
2011-05-01, 09:19 PM
Pretty sure Ur-Priests don't lose their class features if they become Good.

So if you're starting at a high enough level, you could play an Ur-Priest who turned away from the Dark Side?

The second one works the first doesn't. If you fail to meet the prequisites of a prestige class you lose access to its features, Complete Warrior added that clause.

WinWin
2011-05-01, 09:22 PM
Complete Divine lacks that clause. Another reason fighters suck

Cog
2011-05-01, 09:24 PM
Complete Warrior is not the primary source for prestige classes; the Dungeon Master's Guide is. Complete Warrior (and Complete Arcane, which has a similar clause) only speak for the classes in those two books. Complete Divine doesn't have such a clause, and so uses the default DMG rules.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-01, 09:25 PM
Here we go again...

Cog
2011-05-01, 09:27 PM
Here we go again...
Well, if they'd just start printing new books for 3.5 we could come up with some new arguments to match. It's not our fault. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-05-01, 09:29 PM
Well, if they'd just start printing new books for 3.5 we could come up with some new arguments to match. It's not our fault. :smallbiggrin:

*imagines having enough money to buy WotC from Hasbro and restart 3.5..*

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-01, 09:35 PM
Relevant link is relevant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow) *Sigh*... :smallfrown:

Vangor
2011-05-01, 10:30 PM
I have to agree. What if you only steal power from the Evil gods? There are few things more Good than that.

The issue would, of course, be needing to worship Wee Jas for RKV.

Veyr
2011-05-01, 10:34 PM
There was a brilliant idea on these forums once of a worshipper who decided the best way to show his devotion to his god was to not use his god's energy, but to steal other gods' energy and use that for the furtherance of his own god.

Something like, "In the name of Wee Jas, I smite thee with Thor's Lightning!"

:smallconfused: "What? You don't use Wee Jas's lightning?"

"And take power away from my god? That doesn't sound like a very loyal thing to do."

tuesdayscoming
2011-05-01, 10:38 PM
There was a brilliant idea on these forums once of a worshipper who decided the best way to show his devotion to his god was to not use his god's energy, but to steal other gods' energy and use that for the furtherance of his own god.

Something like, "In the name of Wee Jas, I smite thee with Thor's Lightning!"

:smallconfused: "What? You don't use Wee Jas's lightning?"

"And take power away from my god? That doesn't sound like a very loyal thing to do."

Huh. This is really a rather clever justification. Still not RAW, but I can see a number of DMs allowing such a thing. Very nice.

Veyr
2011-05-01, 10:40 PM
Can't take credit for it, though. Here's the original:

Cleric: In the name of Bane, I wield the lightning of Thor!
Wizard: Wait what
Cleric: Well, I like Bane. I'm not going to use up *his* lightning, I mean, then Bane would have less lightning. Seems like a bit of a jerk move, to use up all your god's lightning.

Kylarra
2011-05-01, 10:41 PM
There's also Divine Crusader, but they only get spells out of one domain, so pick wisely!

Akal Saris
2011-05-02, 12:43 AM
Relevant link is relevant. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow) *Sigh*... :smallfrown:

Definitely one of the best youtube links I've clicked in a while :smallbiggrin:

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-02, 12:51 AM
How many of us have dreamed of buying the 3.5 property from Hasbro and fixing it, or continuing to release new material for it?

It's an impossible dream, sure. But we've all had it.

Aemoh87
2011-05-02, 11:09 AM
Well if you wanna know what would happen look at pathfinder. Or even better just make your own game using open gaming content and things you write on your own.

DrWeird
2011-05-02, 11:32 AM
Wait, I recall seeing an arcane PrC that earns the quick casting of an Ur-Priest; does anyone remember it, for reference's sake?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-02, 11:35 AM
Wait, I recall seeing an arcane PrC that earns the quick casting of an Ur-Priest; does anyone remember it, for reference's sake?

Sublime Chord gets level 4 to 9 level spells IIRC but it can't be entered before 10th level.

Suel Arcanamach has "fast casting" 5 spell levels in 10 levels

And Nar Demonbinder gets 4rth to 8th spells.

Those are the only arcane classes that give fast arcane casting to the best of my knowledge.

Analytica
2011-05-02, 11:41 AM
You may be thinking of Beholder Mage, the strongest arcane casting PRC of all (9th level spells like a sorcerer, CL 20 in ten levels, cast spontaneously from all sorcerer/wizard spells, cast up to one spell of each level per round). It's from Lords of Madness.

DrWeird
2011-05-02, 11:44 AM
It was either Suel Archanamach or some ill-begotten online resource class; while I could've sworn it was in CM or CA and yet *not* Suel, it probably was Suel.

Tokuhara
2011-05-02, 11:45 AM
You may be thinking of Beholder Mage, the strongest arcane casting PRC of all (9th level spells like a sorcerer, CL 20 in ten levels, cast spontaneously from all sorcerer/wizard spells, cast up to one spell of each level per round). It's from Lords of Madness.

and neigh unattainable for the "average joe" PC. I realise there's cheese where you become a beholder, take one level, then not be a beholder or some silly-ness like that, but that's just it: It's for DM's Use Only...

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-02, 11:49 AM
and neigh unattainable for the "average joe" PC. I realise there's cheese where you become a beholder, take one level, then not be a beholder or some silly-ness like that, but that's just it: It's for DM's Use Only...

You need to stay beholder-y to get the benefits of the class (you sacrifice an eye stalk to get the spell stack each level, so while you don't loose your casting by not being a beholder anymore you can't the deliciously cheesey 10 spells per round)

Tokuhara
2011-05-02, 11:53 AM
You need to stay beholder-y to get the benefits of the class (you sacrifice an eye stalk to get the spell stack each level, so while you don't loose your casting by not being a beholder anymore you can't the deliciously cheesey 10 spells per round)

Or you could take it for one level, dip into one level of Ur priest, then MT 10. Just need to warn you DM b/4 you make his head pop like a zit

Analytica
2011-05-02, 12:05 PM
Technically, it is possible to read Beholder Mage as that you cannot cast spells of level X at all without specifically using your Xth spellstalk to do so, so yes, it is fairly useless unless you are an actual beholder and stay that way.

SurlySeraph
2011-05-02, 12:29 PM

Polymorph Any Object lets you permanently turn someone into a Beholder with one or two castings. Hiring someone to cast it on you is very cheap. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell)

There's also Divine Crusader, but they only get spells out of one domain, so pick wisely!

A thought comes to mind. Could a Divine Crusader take a Planar Domain? They'd be possibly worth playing if they could.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-02, 12:34 PM
Polymorph Any Object lets you permanently turn someone into a Beholder with one or two castings. Hiring someone to cast it on you is very cheap. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell)

A thought comes to mind. Could a Divine Crusader take a Planar Domain? They'd be possibly worth playing if they could.

I though the traditional trick for Divine Crusaders is to take levels of Sovereign Speaker (prestige class from Faiths of Eberron which gives you an extra domain each level).

SurlySeraph
2011-05-02, 12:39 PM
I hadn't heard of that. That sounds smart.