PDA

View Full Version : this might be a silly question but, how does rage work?

slaydemons
2011-05-01, 09:41 PM
see this question is just a double check because my friend thinks the strength bonus from rage increases your ability score, where I think it increases your ability modifier at the time I house ruled it so it does the ability modifier but I want to be the most precise when using things like rage.

Cog
2011-05-01, 09:43 PM
If something refers to a physical stat with no mention of the modifier, it means the raw number. The Barbarian's strength increases by 4, which increases their strength modifier by 2.

slaydemons
2011-05-01, 09:47 PM
If something refers to a physical stat with no mention of the modifier, it means the raw number. The Barbarian's strength increases by 4, which increases their strength modifier by 2.

thanks this is much help got to keep this in my mind

holywhippet
2011-05-01, 10:01 PM
It's especially important to differentiate the two as it changes what the character is capable of. A + modifier to the strength would only affect abilities and skills that use it like attacking and swim. A + to strength would also increase the amount of weight the character can carry for each load category.

I think as a general rule, everything that modifies a stat will modify the stat which then affects the related modifier. I can't think of any case where the stat modifier is changed but not the stat itself.

Vangor
2011-05-01, 10:26 PM
see this question is just a double check because my friend thinks the strength bonus from rage increases your ability score, where I think it increases your ability modifier at the time I house ruled it so it does the ability modifier but I want to be the most precise when using things like rage.

Because rage mentions a "+4 bonus to Strength" rather than "Strength check" or any other specifics, this is simply to ability score; meaning, the Barbarian with an 18 strength normally will, while raging, have a 22 strength. Damage, to hit, skills, etc., change temporarily based on this number.

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-01, 11:21 PM
Just like how a Belt of Giant's Strength gives its bonus directly to your Strength score and not to your Strength modifier.

slaydemons
2011-05-02, 12:06 AM
Just like how a Belt of Giant's Strength gives its bonus directly to your Strength score and not to your Strength modifier.

This is good to know for the future

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-02, 07:41 AM
Note that the bonuses from a Barbarian's rage are untyped, and thus stack with any bonuses gained from magic items such as a Belt of Giant's Strength.

Saintheart
2011-05-02, 07:57 AM

Contrast this with Armbands of Might (SpC), which add to STR checks and STR-based abilities, but don't count as increases to base STR. Thus your skill checks get better, but your attacks don't. On the other hand, they also give you an extra 2 damage if you take a -2 penalty on Power Attack, so it sort-of makes up for it. (They're a nice complement to the obligatory Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and pretty cheap).