PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Garret

Pages : [1] 2

Rizban
2011-05-01, 10:18 PM
Garret finds himself in the Guildsman District, where most of the craft guilds are located and the industrial work of the city takes place. He currently stands on Dorf Row.

Savannah
2011-05-01, 10:41 PM
Garret looks around curiously, noting any interesting-looking buildings or people in the area.

(Sorry, trying to remember what my plan was once I got here....)

Rizban
2011-05-01, 10:44 PM
(You were looking for work.)

Savannah
2011-05-01, 11:06 PM
(I remember that bit, but I swear I had a plan for how to find said work. I'll think about it and if I can't remember, make something up :smalltongue:)

Savannah
2011-05-02, 03:13 PM
Having arrived in what he hopes is a seedier part of town, Garret sets out to find out if there's any "families" in charge of the area, like he used to work for.

Gather information [roll0], basically looking for anyone who might be interested in a little hired muscle for collections and making-an-example-of purposes.

Rizban
2011-05-02, 03:40 PM
[roll0]

You hear of several gangs in the area, though no real "families" based here. The most prominent is the Jacks. Unfortunately, it seems as if you might have caught their attention by asking too many questions. The sun is also beginning to set.

Savannah
2011-05-02, 03:57 PM
Garret was kinda counting on it :smallwink: (Me? I recognize it as a bad thing. Garret? A little cocky and overly sure of himself :smalltongue:)

Around the point that Garret thinks he may have caught the Jacks attention, he starts casually mentioning stuff about a "mutually beneficial relationship" and how he's "experienced and professional".

Seeing as it's getting dark, he decides to head back to the only inn he knows of (unless he's passed an inn on the way) and hope that that bartender isn't on duty anymore...

Rizban
2011-05-02, 05:16 PM
He manages to walk back to the inn unmolested.

Savannah
2011-05-02, 05:40 PM
Garret sighs, then opens the door and enters.

Rizban
2011-05-03, 01:36 PM
The inn hasn't changed much, though some of the patrons have left and new ones arrived. The barkeep seems to be the same, almost as if he never tires and never sleeps.

Savannah
2011-05-03, 02:32 PM
Garret walks up to the bar. "I need a room for the night, please."

Rizban
2011-05-03, 02:32 PM
"Three gold."

Savannah
2011-05-03, 04:05 PM
Garret nods and hands it over.

Rizban
2011-05-04, 12:18 AM
You're given the key to a room on the second floor which has no windows.

Savannah
2011-05-04, 12:41 AM
Garret nods his thanks and starts to turn away before remembering something, "What would a meal cost?"

Rizban
2011-05-04, 12:44 AM
"Well, sir, that depends on what you want."

He points to a large menu on the wall behind him.
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.I hate that message so much.:smallannoyed:

Savannah
2011-05-04, 03:34 AM
He wants something filling, cheap, and tasty, in that order.

Me too :smallannoyed: (I guess I can sorta see that it would help against spammers, but it's really annoying if you're playing in a lot of games...)

Only thing I hate worse is the restriction on searching. I don't search often, but when I do, I usually need to make a couple of searches to refine my keywords. And I don't see the logic on that one :smallmad:

Rizban
2011-05-04, 03:37 AM
The best fit for those options costs 5 silver.

As someone who has programmed and run a message board before, I can tell you that search time restrictions are very necessary. Searching is the single most processor intensive action on a message board, and a board of this size absolutely needs it to keep from being lagged to a complete stop due to an overload from searches.

Savannah
2011-05-04, 03:42 AM
Garret pays and takes his meal to an out-of-the-way table. He eats slowly, listening to the conversations around him.

(Not sure if gather info or listen would be more appropriate here. Listen [roll0], Gather info [roll1]
Edit: Really? Really?! :smallmad: Hate you, too, oh die roller!)

Well, that's good to know....I shall relegate my hatred of the searching limits to just under my hatred of the posting limits, then :smallwink:

Rizban
2011-05-08, 11:46 PM
His meal is especially crunchy, and his table is especially out of the way. He hears nothing of note.

Savannah
2011-05-08, 11:51 PM
With a sigh, Garret returns to his room, determined to wake up bright and early the next day.

Rizban
2011-05-09, 12:10 AM
The next morning, he wakes up to find a playing card on the inside of his bedroom door, with a small dagger stabbed through it to hold it in place.

Savannah
2011-05-09, 01:25 PM
Garret considers this development, staring hard at the card.

Detect magic on the card and dagger. Also, casting (invoking?) spiderclimb for the day.

OOC: he's totally going to die...

Rizban
2011-05-09, 02:35 PM
It appears to be an ordinary playing card and an ordinary, non-masterwork dagger sized for a small character. Closer inspection reveals the playing card to be a three of diamonds.

Savannah
2011-05-09, 02:54 PM
Garret, being understandably paranoid, also examines the card and dagger carefully through mundane means before handling it.

Search [roll0]

Rizban
2011-05-09, 02:56 PM
They are exactly what they appear to be.

Savannah
2011-05-09, 03:10 PM
Garret shrugs, pockets both, and heads down to see what's on the breakfast menu.

(Funny story, I just rolled another 25 on a search check for traps in a different game. Although that character had a +18 modifier :smallamused:)

Rizban
2011-05-09, 03:12 PM
Pocketing the card activates a horrendous trap! You are sucked into a pocket dimension without air and quickly suffocate.

Your imagination calms down, and you find that they have porridge and eggs as the breakfast staple, but that for a few more gold, you may order a number of other things.

Savannah
2011-05-09, 03:20 PM
Porridge and eggs is fine. How much?

OOC: You're evil :smallamused: (And, yes, I'm paranoid :smalltongue:)

Rizban
2011-05-09, 03:24 PM
The meal is 3sp.

OOC: Yes, yes I am. (That's good. It'll keep you alive longer.)

Savannah
2011-05-09, 04:26 PM
Garret pays, eats, and (unless something happens during breakfast) sets out, sauntering towards the area where he last heard of the Jacks.

OOC: I think I get too attached to my characters for any sort of game which involves the serious threat of character death...Why did I choose to play an over-confidant, arrogant, likely to get himself in trouble character? :smallsigh::smalltongue:

Rizban
2011-05-09, 05:27 PM
As you walk, every person in the crowd seems to be a threat. Was it one of them who placed the card in your room? Perhaps it was the baker there with his bread. Maybe the mother there with her infant. Was it the beggar who sits there staring at you plaintively as you walk past him?

Savannah
2011-05-09, 08:57 PM
Garret grimaces, trying to take the less crowded streets.

Rizban
2011-05-10, 01:50 PM
It was the beggar.

As you duck into a less crowded side street, you feel a dagger stab you from behind. You take [roll0] damage then roll for initiative.

Savannah
2011-05-10, 11:03 PM
(I'm assuming that's not a cold iron dagger.)

Initiative [roll0]

Rizban
2011-05-11, 12:22 AM
I've lost your character sheet link. Can you send it to me again?

Savannah
2011-05-11, 12:29 AM
Here ya go. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=288778)

It's also in my sig, as that's how I keep track of my characters and I figured the chances of someone else looking it up were pretty low :smallwink:

Rizban
2011-05-11, 12:31 AM
You win initiative.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 12:41 AM
Is there anyone besides me and the begger on the street?

Garret backs away hastily, scampering up the nearest wall. "Why are you doing this?"

Withdraw action to avoid an attack of opportunity; backing away and up one of the walls with spiderwalk until just out of melee reach.

Rizban
2011-05-11, 01:09 AM
He wordlessly follows and throws the dagger, drawing and throwing another as he moves. Both manage to hit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Savannah
2011-05-11, 01:13 AM
Garret growls and blasts him before backing further up the wall (still within eldrich blast range (60'), but far enough to hopefully make throwing knives harder).

Touch attack [roll0] for [roll1].

Rizban
2011-05-11, 01:15 AM
He staggers from the blast and throws one more knife at you, missing. He turns to run into the alley next to the building on which you are climbing.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 01:17 AM
Can I climb around/over and catch him on the other side? I'm not sure how far that would be.

Rizban
2011-05-11, 01:18 AM
You can still see him. he's just at the entry to the alley but didn't have enough movement to make it there. You can follow and stay above him without much difficulty.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 01:23 AM
Garret hurries after him, then blasts him again (assuming he thinks he can do so without attracting guard attention; if there are guards about, he'll just follow and try to stay out of sight).

Rizban
2011-05-11, 01:25 AM
You hit him again as he ducks into the alley. There is no one else on this street nearby. The people off in the distance do not notice you. The nearby buildings appear to mostly be housing, and the people who live here are more likely at work. This is probably why he chose here to attack you.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 01:28 AM
Garret continues to chase the beggar, climbing down the wall and following on foot, as he's slightly faster that way (although he sticks close to the wall in case he walks into an ambush). If he can round the corner and be close enough, he'll blast the fellow again, calling "Surrender now!"

If possible, [roll0] for [roll1].

Rizban
2011-05-11, 01:30 AM
Your last blast knocks him to the ground, bleeding out.

As he loses consciousness, he gasps "Aces l-low.. J-ja.."

Savannah
2011-05-11, 01:36 AM
Garret frowns; he'd wanted the man alive. He tries to bandage the man's wounds using scraps torn from the beggar's outfit.

Heal to stabilize him [roll0]

Rizban
2011-05-11, 01:58 AM
You fail to stabilize him. He is now at -3. You may continue to try to stabilize him, rolling all attempts until he hits -10 at once, if you choose.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 02:14 AM
Garret will try up to twice more before reassessing his strategy. [roll0], [roll1]

OOC: I just discovered that I am supposed to have a +2 bonus on Heal checks from my Healing Belt.... I need to add that to my skills :smallsigh:

Rizban
2011-05-11, 02:15 AM
Then the first attempt succeeded. He has stabilized.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 02:44 AM
Garret searches the beggar, removing anything of value or potentially dangerous that he's carrying. After that, he uses the beggar's own clothes to tie him up as best he can. Finally, he drags the beggar out of the middle of the street to an even more secluded nook between the buildings (if he can).

Search [roll0]. Use rope [roll1] (adjusted as desired for using clothing instead of a proper rope).

OOC Thanks, I hate to ask for a retcon when I've just been stupid and forgotten something...

And I cannot believe I forgot to buy a thing of rope! :smallannoyed: This'll be my first character ever without it!

Just waiting to see what, if anything, Garret found on the beggar before continuing with Plan Interrogate.

Rizban
2011-05-11, 02:47 AM
You find six more daggers, 3gp, and 100 xp.

You manage to tie a knot with strips of fabric.

Dragging him across the ground will cause him to begin bleeding out.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 03:28 AM
Garret pockets the lot. (What does XP look like, I wonder? :smalltongue:)

He decides not to drag the beggar, and pulls out the dagger that had been used to pin the card to his door earlier. He then uses one charge from his healing belt to heal the beggar. (For [roll0] points of damage.)

(Assuming that's enough to wake the beggar)
Garret gives a wicked smile and casually plays with the dagger, "I don't think we've been properly introduced. Your name is....?"

Intimidate, as needed [roll1].

Rizban
2011-05-11, 03:30 AM
(Any amount of magical healing, even just 1hp, is enough to automatically stabilize and restore consciousness, even if in the negatives.)

He stares at you coldly, as if awaiting death.

Savannah
2011-05-11, 03:48 AM
Garret scowls. "As I'm sure you've noted, you're not dead. You can keep it that way, if you'd like, or we can start chopping off bits. All I want to know is how to get in touch with your employers, as I'm looking for a job not unlike yours. And I have to say, if you're one of their enforcers, they'd do very well to hire me."

(Ah, I always forget that bit.)

Rizban
2011-05-11, 03:50 AM
He fidgets a bit and says, "Which employers?"

Savannah
2011-05-11, 03:58 AM
"Which employers do you think?" Garret asks dryly, twirling the knife. "Although, if more than one group has hired you to kill me, I'd be quite happy to start a bidding war for my services."

Rizban
2011-05-11, 04:13 AM
"I wasn't hired by anyone."

Savannah
2011-05-11, 04:20 AM
"Alright, then, I presume you have an explanation for trying to kill me. Because if you're just some random madman I'm going to get very angry."

Rizban
2011-05-18, 08:10 PM
"Just trying to do the right thing..."

He jumps up as he breaks through the makeshift ropes, pulling out a dagger you failed to find.

"I will kill you for what you did, Madarius."

Savannah
2011-05-18, 08:16 PM
Garret is completely taken aback, and it shows plainly on his face. "Madarius? Who's Madarius?" he asks as he steps back.

Rizban
2011-05-18, 08:20 PM
"Don't play dumb with me! But then, I am surprised you'd be dumb enough to show up around town again. Cassatta is going to take your head, if I don't take it first!"

He jumps at you, stabbing with the knife, but misses.

Savannah
2011-05-18, 08:33 PM
Garret springs back again (withdrawing to avoid an attack of opportunity), still looking mystified, "Cassatta? Who-? I'm Garret Renig; I've never been here before in my life!"

OOC: So....what's the opposite of a Bluff roll? :smalltongue:
Also, Myth-Weavers doesn't want to open for me right now (:smallconfused:), so I hope I spelled my last name right....

Rizban
2011-05-18, 08:35 PM
"Liar! You have to die for your double-cross!"

He charges and stabs at you [roll0]

Savannah
2011-05-19, 09:16 AM
Garret withdraws one last time, "If I were....whoever you think I am, would I have healed you and need to question you?"

Rizban
2011-05-19, 02:47 PM
"You'd just kill me after!"

He charges and attacks again, missing.

Savannah
2011-05-19, 06:32 PM
"Well, I wasn't planning to, but if you can't help me get in with the Jacks, I seem to have no choice."

Garret takes a five-foot step back and blasts the fellow.
[roll0] for [roll1] (touch attack)

Rizban
2011-05-19, 10:37 PM
He is again unconscious and bleeding out.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 01:19 AM
Garret searches his body again, looking for where he had been hiding the knives that escaped last time's search.

Search [roll0]

Rizban
2011-05-20, 01:20 AM
It was hidden skillfully within a pouch in his sleeve. You simply missed it the last time.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 01:28 AM
"Clever," Garret mutters to the body, as he takes the knife. "Pity the rest of you was so stupid."

He uses a charge from his healing belt on himself ([roll0]), then considers his next move. Based on what he knows of the city, is there a good spot to dump a body nearby? (Note to self: get ranks in Knowledge (local) next level....)

Rizban
2011-05-20, 01:29 AM
Not to his knowledge.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 01:35 AM
With a muttered curse, Garret stashes the body in the most out of the way spot he can find in the immediate vicinity, before slitting the beggar's throat with his own dagger to make sure he stays put (preferably in such a way as to not get himself any messier than he already is). After a moment's consideration, Garret drops the dagger on the body, rather than taking it.

After wiping his hands on the cleanest part of the beggar's clothing that he can find, arranging his own clothing to hide the cuts as much as possible, and finger-combing his hair back into place, Garret sets off again towards the area he'd been investigating yesterday.

Rizban
2011-05-20, 01:38 AM
He arrives in Guildsman District.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 01:46 AM
He decides to take a stroll around the district, listening in to the conversations he passes to see if anyone mentions the Jacks, Madarius, Cassatta, or anything else interesting. And also to see if anyone else randomly jumps him.

Gather information [roll0]
Spot for noticing any tails he picks up [roll1]

OOC: Thinking about it, this has to be very far off from how most adventurers/players pick up jobs. Sorry about that...
Also, Garret's self-confidence and my paranoia are currently at war over the best course of action....he's so going to die, but at least it will be fun :smallamused:

Rizban
2011-05-20, 03:13 PM
[roll0] - The only reference to "Jacks" you hear is about an illicit gambling parlor nearby. The other names never come up within your hearing.

OOC: Most aren't creative enough to come up with anything, so they just go to the Sad Flint for a prepackaged adventure.

Savannah
2011-05-20, 07:10 PM
Garret frowns - he's not particularly interested in gambling, but if it's his only lead.... After a moment's hesitation, he heads towards the gambling parlor.

OOC: Hope you don't mind me making more work for you by taking the creative route. (I probably would have gone prepackaged, too, but the bartender insulted Garret's masculinity, and he's sensitive :smalltongue:)

Rizban
2011-05-21, 01:03 AM
It seems that the only Jacks here are in the decks of cards. You do, however, notice a man staring intently at you on the far side of the room. He quickly turns away and feigns disinterest as you turn to look at him.

OOC: Honestly, it's just about the same amount of work either way.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 01:17 AM
Garret casually wanders across the room over to the man. "Hello, good sir! I couldn't help notice your interest in me. I'm Garret Renig, can I be of service?" his voice is friendly, but quiet.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 01:19 AM
"Changed your name, eh? Can't blame you for that.

Look, if you don't want Cassatta to kill you, Garret, then meet me tonight about an hour after sunset behind the Blue Ox tavern."

He quickly stands and walks away, disappearing into the crowd.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 01:40 AM
"What the Hell?" Garret stares, mystified, at the man's retreating back.

OOC: What time is it? Early afternoon?

Rizban
2011-05-21, 07:14 AM
Yes, early afternoon.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 04:13 PM
Garret leaves the gambling parlor and approaches the first person he sees on the street, "Pardon me, but could you direct me to the Blue Ox tavern?"

Rizban
2011-05-21, 08:34 PM
He directs you to the far northern side of Guildsman District, almost all the way into Old Town.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 10:40 PM
Garret thanks him and heads over that way to check out the inn - or rather behind the inn - before the meeting.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 10:45 PM
The alley is 10 feet wide and about 60 feel long. A large building next to the tavern forms a sort of L-shape around the tavern, blocking off the view from side streets, which makes it an ideally secluded location for a secret rendezvous. The tavern is two stories tall, and the L-shaped warehouse is three stories tall. The tavern has no windows facing this direction and only one door exiting out. There are four trash cans (medium size) near the tavern's back door.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 10:51 PM
Garret looks around to make sure no one's watching, then carefully climbs the warehouse to get a look at its roof and the roof of the tavern.

Hide [roll0] to avoid being seen, just in case.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 10:56 PM
The tavern's roof is sharply angled and tiled. There are no good hiding places there.

The warehouse is apparently built on a bad foundation and is starting to lean. It leans towards the tavern, and even standing at the very edge looking down, only about half of the alley is visible. It really is a very secluded location.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 11:09 PM
Garret carefully climbs down, then heads back to the main square where he first came into the city. He checks out the vendors and shops in the area to kill time, keeping his ears peeled for anyone offering work (preferably odd jobs that he could complete before sundown).

Rizban
2011-05-21, 11:31 PM
He finds a few shops selling mundane items that are of no real interest to him (PHB stuff of less than 5gp), while the remainder of the buildings are either warehouses or shipping companies who do business at the nearby docks just on the other side of the river.

Savannah
2011-05-22, 01:48 PM
Then he's gonna be very bored for the rest of the afternoon. Can I jump to about an hour before the meeting? (He'll have eaten from his supplies for dinner.)

Rizban
2011-05-22, 05:44 PM
(That's fine. I'm not saying that there aren't any other opportunities, just that you haven't encountered them.)

Savannah
2011-05-23, 06:46 PM
Oh, sure. I'm sure that there are dozens of opportunities that he's missing due to not being in the right area or just not rolling high enough on Gather info/Listen/whatever to be made aware of them. But since he's most interested in this meeting, I'm fine with that.

About an hour before the meeting, Garret wants to go back to the alley and make sure that nothing has changed (he rather suspects an ambush).

Rizban
2011-05-23, 09:22 PM
Other than one of the trash cans having moved about two inches and having more trash in it than before, nothing seems to have changed.

Savannah
2011-05-23, 09:49 PM
Oh no! It must be a sentient trash can which has been tailing me all afternoon and only just managed to get back in time and therefore missed its spot by a little bit!

Garret looks for a hiding place in the alley where he can observe anyone entering or exiting.

Rizban
2011-05-23, 10:03 PM
The walls are bare, and the alley is devoid of any objects other than trash cans.

There is a wagon filled with bits of broken crates and other scrap lumber just across the street from one entrance to the alley, but the long L shape of the alley means you'd only be able to see this one entrance.

The other exit from the alley has no convenient hiding places from which to watch, except possibly from inside one of the buildings.

Savannah
2011-05-23, 10:14 PM
Hmm...is Garret small enough to hide between the trash cans?

Rizban
2011-05-23, 10:17 PM
The trash cans themselves are about medium size, so a medium sized creature could hide behind or inside of one without too much trouble. The empty ones wouldn't be too difficult to move if one wanted to hide behind them.

Savannah
2011-05-23, 10:27 PM
Garret is small, so that's even easier. (And, inside? No. Garret Renig does not stoop so low as to hide inside a trash can. :smallamused:)

Garret adjusts the cans as needed to allow him to hide behind them and settles himself in for a long wait. He keeps alert, privately suspecting that the fellow who told him to meet here was trying to lure him into an ambush, rather than help him.

Hide [roll0] (I doubt he'll need Move silently, as he's staying still, but just in case [roll1])
Spot [roll2], Listen [roll3]

Rizban
2011-05-23, 11:52 PM
You see the guy stick his head out of the tavern, look up and down the alley, then curse because you aren't there. He checks his pocket watch to verify the time then closes the door.

Savannah
2011-05-24, 12:33 AM
Garret grumbles to himself, but is somewhat reassured by the lack of other people. He carefully (and quietly) climbs out from between the trash cans and into view. He decides to lean casually on the wall of the warehouse directly across from the door of the inn, so that he can quickly climb out of range if necessary, while looking as if he's totally unconcerned.

Rizban
2011-05-24, 09:42 PM
A moment later, the man and two others step out of the inn.

"So, Madarius, you came. Gregor has asked me to help him, so please, tell me the truth. What have you done with the horn?"

Savannah
2011-05-24, 09:55 PM
Garret continues to lean casually on the wall. "You want the truth? I'll give you the truth. I have no idea who you are, who this Madarius is, or what you're talking about.

"My name is Garret, and I've never been to this city before. I only came here because a crazy beggar attacked me, thinking I was this Madarius, and I want to know what he's done to get you all so riled up."

Rizban
2011-05-24, 11:09 PM
Make a diplomacy check to see if you convince him.

Savannah
2011-05-24, 11:18 PM
Good thing I bought that Circlet of Persuasion....

Diplomacy [roll0]

*fingers crossed*

Rizban
2011-05-24, 11:55 PM
"Very well, I believe you... almost."

A bright purple and sticky web suddenly spring of the the ground, trying to ensnare you. Reflex save, please.

Savannah
2011-05-25, 12:06 AM
Reflex [roll0]

Rizban
2011-05-25, 12:15 AM
You are entangled but not snared.

Savannah
2011-05-28, 10:29 PM
OOC: Gah, sorry, I thought I'd remember to post and apparently I didn't :smallredface:

So, the explanation of being entangled mentions a Concentration check to cast spells, but nothing for invocations (since those weren't an issue at the time :smalltongue:). Do I need to make the check? What about Baleful Utterance which seems to be verbal only?

Also, the majority of my PC deaths (in other games) have been when my character got entangled....this is not promising :smalleek:

Rizban
2011-05-31, 09:53 PM
Invocations provoke AoOs and are subject to spell failure, then I will say that you have to make a Concentration check to use them while entangled.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 10:09 PM
Garret immediately begins to climb up the warehouse wall he had been leaning against.

Per the web spell description, Escape artist [roll0] (includes -4 Dex penalty for being entangled). Garret moves 5' up the wall for every 5 points that the check beats DC 10.

Edit: Crap. :smalleek:

Rizban
2011-05-31, 10:20 PM
"Look, just come with me, and we'll get this cleared up. Otherwise..."

He begins to cast a spell.

Rizban
2011-05-31, 10:27 PM
His thugs hang back.

It's your turn.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 10:31 PM
Garret grimaces as he tries to move and finds himself solidly stuck. Seeing the man starting a spell, he replies quickly "No, no, I want this cleared up, too. I'm more than happy to meet with someone who'll actually believe the truth when they hear it. Where are we going?"

Rizban
2011-05-31, 10:42 PM
He stops casting and says, "We're going..."

"Nowhere." another voice interrupts.

"No... It's Syrgut. Quick! Run!"

He dismisses the web, releasing you, and starts to run towards you, presumably toward the alley exit behind you. At the same time, a stocky dwarf with reddish hair the color of fire steps around the corner behind him. The two other men, guards apparently, step in front of this "Syrgut" to block his advance. Syrgut responds by summoning a whip that seems made of flame to his hand, and wrapping it around the closest man's neck. A moment and horrible scream later, the man's body is reduced to ash.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 10:49 PM
"What the hell?!" Garret immediately scrambles up the wall.

Double move 40' up the warehouse wall.

Rizban
2011-05-31, 10:58 PM
You see the man who webbed you trapped at the end of the alley by the cart you saw across the street earlier. Two thugs have pushed it over to block the alley, and thick plumes of smoke are starting to rise from it as they set it on fire. He looks up at you in desperation but says nothing.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 11:23 PM
Garret curses and moves diagonally across the warehouse, further up away from the street, but also towards the trapped man.

"What do you want?" he calls back over his shoulder at the dwarf.

Rizban
2011-05-31, 11:27 PM
"Your head, what else, traitor?"

He turns towards the second man, burning him down like he did the first, then he begins to move toward you.

Savannah
2011-05-31, 11:36 PM
"I'm not Mar-Madar-whoever the hell you all think I am!"

Garret scrambles diagonally along the wall a little ways further, then stops and glances at the trapped man again. With a muttered curse, he points towards one of the thugs on the far side of the cart and shoots a blast at the fellow.

Ranged touch attack [roll0] for [roll1]. (I'm assuming that the trapped guy could climb over the cart, except for the facts that 1) it's on fire and 2) there are a couple of thugs on the far side who are going to catch him as soon as he goes over. If that's not the case, I'll want to change my action.)

Rizban
2011-05-31, 11:54 PM
The man you shoot turns and runs.

The trapped spellcaster quickly crawls under the cart between the wheels as the flames lick above him, aiming for the gap you made. The other thug takes a swing at him with a club, hitting him in the back of the head and nearly knocking him unconscious.

The angry burning dwarf moves towards you as quickly as he can, a long cord of crackling red energy taking shape in his hand in place of the whip of fire.

Savannah
2011-06-01, 12:10 AM
Garret quickly shoots at the remaining thug, shouting "You owe me!" to the spellcaster, then scrambles further up the wall.

I just realized I haven't been keeping track of how far up the wall he is. He'd have been saying within range for his eldrich blast, but trying to stay as high up as possible.

Rizban
2011-06-01, 12:16 AM
Blasting the second thug also sends him running. The spellcaster pulls himself through and stands up somewhat unsteady.

In order to shoot that thug from where you would be, you're about 40 feet up.

Syrgut charges at you, leaping up into the air and whipping the cord of energy towards you. It seems to stretch out an impossible length, wrapping around your ankle and attempting to "trip" you off of the wall.

[roll0]

Savannah
2011-06-01, 12:22 AM
Oh dear...

Str [roll0]

Come on, Oh Great and Mighty Die Roller! *puppy dog eyes*

Rizban
2011-06-01, 12:28 AM
You fall from the wall as you are pulled away from its face. As you fall, the spellcaster throws a featherfall spell on you.

"Now I don't."

You land safely.

Syrgut slams his body into the wagon, and begins to climb over.

"Running now. This way."

The spellcaster takes off at a dead run.

Savannah
2011-06-01, 12:34 AM
Garret takes off at a run towards the other exit from the alley -- the one Syrgut isn't using.

Rizban
2011-06-01, 12:35 AM
Err... oops. I meant to say that you landed on the far side of the burning cart, outside of the alley.

Savannah
2011-06-01, 12:38 AM
Oh, cool. In that case, Garret takes off at top speed after the spellcaster. He's surprisingly fast on his little legs :smalltongue:

Rizban
2011-06-01, 12:41 AM
After running for a few blocks down several alleys, the spellcaster collapses against a wall, gasping for breath. You think that you've shaken Syrgut for the moment.

Savannah
2011-06-01, 12:51 AM
"Now do you believe I'm not Madarius or whoever? Or can he do all the things I did, too?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 12:53 AM
"How should I know?! I've never met you before. I was just supposed to take you to meet with Gregor."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 01:00 AM
"Damn. Look, I really am not who you think I am. Can you please tell me who you all think I am and what I've gotten myself into? Who was that dwarf and why did he call me a traitor?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 01:03 AM
"All I know is he and some others were doing something, Madarius and Gregor were hired to do a job, and Madarius skipped town with what item they were suppose to procure. Gregor is a friend of mine, and I've been hiding him at my place and trying to find a way to get him out of this situation. Now, Syrgut has spotted me talking to you, so I'm dead if I don't get out of town soon. I just have to tell Gregor and grab some things from home first."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 01:10 AM
"Right, well, I'm sticking with you at least until you get back to Gregor; I want to find out what I was supposedly doing so I can be prepared if anyone else comes after me. Shall we get going before he finds us again?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 01:37 AM
"Right, thanks. Name's Pharadale. I have a flat rented not far from here."

He leads you towards a boarding house and up the back stairs. Unlocking the door, he steps inside and waits for you to follow while furtively looking around for anyone following.

Savannah
2011-06-01, 01:42 AM
Garret steps inside, alert both for people following outside and an ambush on the inside.

Spot [roll0], listen [roll1]

Rizban
2011-06-01, 02:15 AM
He notices nothing. Pharadale leads you to his flat, unlocks the door, and steps inside, again motioning for you to follow. You hear a deep, hacking cough from within.

Savannah
2011-06-01, 02:20 AM
Garret does so, looking around curiously.

Rizban
2011-06-01, 02:25 AM
The flat consists of two rooms: a study lined with books and a bedroom. A man you assume to be Gregor is leaned back in a comfortable chair here in the study. He appears to be in his mid 30s, about five feet tall, with thinning, short blond hair. His face is covered with dark red blotches, his hands tremble constantly, and he has a faint odor of death coming from him.

"Ah. Madarius..." *COUGH HACK WHEEZE* "You've come back at last. It-it's good to see you, old friend."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 02:33 AM
Garret's nose wrinkles at the scent and he keeps well away from the man. "For the last time today, I'm not Madarius!"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 03:29 AM
The man leans forward and puts on a small pair of glasses.

"Hmm... No, it appears you're not. A shame, really."

He begins coughing violently again. When he pulls the handkerchief away from his mouth, there are spots of blood in it.

"However, the resemblance is uncanny. I doubt Cassatta can be convinced. You see my wretched state? You can thank her for that. Punishment for Madarius' betrayal."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 03:44 AM
"Finally! Someone who sees sense! My name is Garret, and I've only just arrived in town a few days ago. If you don't mind telling me why I've been attacked by three different people, all swearing I'm someone I'm not, I'd greatly appreciate it."

Rizban
2011-06-01, 05:31 AM
"Because you look just like him... a tiny bit taller and obviously a whisper gnome rather than a rock gnome, but you could otherwise be twins."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 01:13 PM
"That's not what I meant!" Garret snaps. "What did this fellow I look like do and who's out to kill me because of it?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 03:44 PM
"Oh! Right... right... Well, he and I, you see, we were hired by Cassatta to procure a particular item from this wizard. Well, things didn't work out too well at first, and then things went real bad after that, but they got much worse after that. Somehow, Madarius managed to snatch it at the last moment, and we ran. Well, he decided that almost losing his life for it made it more valuable than the "meager" pay Cassatta was offering us, so he skipped town with it. I didn't realize how evil she was, and when I told her about it, she did this to me. She'll do worse to you if she catches you."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 03:51 PM
"What does this Cassatta look like and who works for her? I'd like to know who to avoid."

Rizban
2011-06-01, 07:39 PM
"She's a dwarf... looks like a dwarf. I never really dealt with her directly except once, and I didn't get a good look at her. Other than Syrgut, whom I understand you've already met, I don't know who works for her."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 11:08 PM
"And now, for the most important question, what would you pay me to make your little problem with Cassatta go away?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 11:13 PM
He stares at you stone faced.

"It isn't my problem. It's yours. You can't do any worse to me than she already is, and if you kill me, well, that just ends my pain. No, this is your problem."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 11:20 PM
Garret sighs. "You know, I could just leave town. Leave you here with....whatever she's done to you.

"Tell you what, I'll forgo any payment in exchange for you telling me what it was Madarius stole and where he is likely to have run. Without that, I don't have much of a chance to give Cassatta what she wants and make all of this go away."

Rizban
2011-06-01, 11:28 PM
"And I'm no worse off than before. If you're trying to threaten me, then you're quite poor at it.

Some sort of magic horn. I don't know exactly what it does, but I suspect that it increases her ability to cast plagues, probably to infect the whole city and bend it to her will."

Savannah
2011-06-01, 11:30 PM
"And his probable location?

"And while I'm at it, Cassatta's usual locations?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 11:45 PM
"As far from here as he can get, I'd imagine.

I don't know. I only dealt with her for the one job."

Savannah
2011-06-02, 12:47 AM
Garret sighs again. "In that case, how did you get in contact with her? Where did you meet?"

Rizban
2011-06-02, 12:54 AM
He smirks at this question.

"We met at the Blue Ox... behind it in the alley. I'm sure they followed you back here now, so wait around long enough, and she'll come to you."

Savannah
2011-06-02, 12:57 AM
Garret rubs his face in frustration. "That's... a little sooner than I was thinking of meeting her."

Rizban
2011-06-02, 01:00 AM
He laughs, but it quickly turns into a cough.

"Well, good luck with that."

Pharadale comes back into the room and begins scooping books off of the shelves into a bag that seems far too small yet holds them all. As he finishes up, he says, "Okay, Gregor, I'm packed. Let's get out of here before Syrgut or some other fiend arrives."

Savannah
2011-06-03, 06:32 PM
Semi-random question: When Garret entered the city, did he have to speak to any guards or can people enter and exit freely?

Rizban
2011-06-03, 10:29 PM
They can enter and exit freely during the day, but the gates are closed and locked at sunset until just after sunrise. The Docks are outside of the city walls.

Rizban
2011-06-06, 09:02 PM
{nudge} filler

Savannah
2011-06-06, 09:05 PM
(Sorry, I decided to think about it before I posted and see if I could come up with a brilliant plan... and I couldn't...)

Before the two men leave, Garret says "Mind if I hang around here?"

Rizban
2011-06-06, 09:05 PM
The wish you well as they flee.

Savannah
2011-06-06, 09:10 PM
Garret spends a few minutes poking around. He's particularly interested in hiding spots near a window he could escape from (or a similar escape route), but he's also interested in valuable or interesting items, of course.

Search [roll0] if necessary.

Rizban
2011-06-06, 09:30 PM
It seems as if everything of value has been removed. This particular suite has no windows, probably why the two chose this as their hideout.

Savannah
2011-06-06, 09:38 PM
The only exit's the one door, then?

Rizban
2011-06-06, 10:11 PM
Yesfiller...

Savannah
2011-06-07, 03:24 PM
Garret sighs and decides to leave while he still can. He cautiously opens the door a crack and peers out, alert for any signs of an ambush. Spot [roll0], Listen [roll1].

Rizban
2011-06-07, 06:36 PM
Of signs of ambush, he neither sees nor hears any.

Savannah
2011-06-07, 06:40 PM
(I'm assuming he doesn't see any frontal assaults, either :smallamused:)

Garret decides to make good his escape, as well, and heads cautiously out of the building.

Rizban
2011-06-07, 06:43 PM
As he reaches the back door, he spots Syrgut and a group of thugs approaching the back stairs.

Savannah
2011-06-07, 06:48 PM
Are there any hiding places nearby? And how big of a group of thugs?

Rizban
2011-06-07, 09:23 PM
There are no real hiding places in the halls, but you do suspect that this building also has a front door.

There are five thugs with Syrgut.

Savannah
2011-06-07, 09:30 PM
Garret turns around and heads briskly for the front door, pulling out his invisibility potion along the way and holding it ready -- just in case.

Rizban
2011-06-07, 09:32 PM
You reach the front door just as you hear the back door kicked in. It is fortunately around a corner, and they can't see you.

Savannah
2011-06-10, 05:21 PM
Garret quickly pokes his head out the front door, looking up and down the street for anyone waiting. Spot [roll0].

Rizban
2011-06-10, 10:52 PM
He spots another group of three similar looking thugs about two blocks away but moving this way rapidly.

Savannah
2011-06-10, 11:15 PM
What's around the door? Any chance he could duck out and into a hiding spot before they see him?

Rizban
2011-06-11, 04:02 PM
The door opens up onto the street. There is a thin crowd of people in the street. An empty wagon (http://potataman.wikispaces.com/file/view/horse-drawn-wagon-full-of-supplies-boxes-of-bibles-missionary-pen-ink-drawing.png/199752386/horse-drawn-wagon-full-of-supplies-boxes-of-bibles-missionary-pen-ink-drawing.png) is driving past.

Savannah
2011-06-12, 12:48 AM
Garret takes a deep breath, then slips out as several people pass by the door. Ducking between the passersby, he darts to the far side of the wagon (wherever he needs to be to have the wagon between him and the thugs) and walks away briskly.

Hide [roll0]

Rizban
2011-06-12, 05:33 AM
Garret manages to avoid being spotted.

Savannah
2011-06-12, 10:56 PM
After long enough that he judges that the thugs have reached the boarding house, Garret turns around and heads back. Before he reaches the house, however, he ducks down an alley between the building next to the boarding house and the one beyond that, then climbs the building next to the boarding house. On the roof, he tries to find an out of the way spot to wait for Syrgut and thugs to exit.

Hide [roll0], spot [roll1]

Rizban
2011-06-13, 03:27 PM
Garret indeed finds one. About 10 minutes later, the thugs leave out the back door in one large group. You see no sign of Syrgut.

Savannah
2011-06-13, 03:43 PM
Garret decides to wait to see if Syrgut comes out later. He notes which way the thugs are going, however.

Rizban
2011-06-13, 04:37 PM
The thugs head south for one block before dispersing into all directions.

A few moments later, smoke begins to rise from an open widow of the building.

Savannah
2011-06-13, 05:23 PM
Garret continues to wait, hoping that Syrgut will be coming out soon.

Rizban
2011-06-13, 05:28 PM
You hear a muffled scream as someone inside is killed. Smoke begins to pour forth from several windows, and you see the first few licks of flame. Panic is beginning to rise in the streets as shouts of "Fire!" begin to mount and people run to fetch water.

Savannah
2011-06-21, 08:48 PM
Garret grimaces, torn between hoping that Syrgut will come out (and fear that he's waiting) and knowledge that city fires are very dangerous. He looks everywhere, hoping to spot Syrgut somewhere among the crowd.

Spot [roll0]

Rizban
2011-06-21, 08:57 PM
Garret does not spot Syrgut in the crowd. It's likely that he is still inside the building.

Savannah
2011-06-21, 09:17 PM
Garret eyes the flames carefully -- he doesn't want to get stuck on top of a burning building if the fire reaches the one he's on -- but waits for Syrgut to reappear.

Rizban
2011-06-21, 09:21 PM
A bucket line has formed, hauling buckets of water from the nearest water source, as people desperately try to put out the fire. There is still no sign of Syrgut.

Savannah
2011-06-22, 06:00 PM
Garret curses mentally. Approximately how long has Syrgut been in the building?

Rizban
2011-06-22, 09:26 PM
At this point, about 15 minutes.

Savannah
2011-06-22, 10:36 PM
Well within the possible time to be thoroughly searching a room... Garret will settle into a comfortable position and give it another half an hour (unless something happens within that time like the fire spreading) before he reconsiders his approach.

Rizban
2011-06-22, 10:37 PM
Despite the best efforts of the bucket line, the fire continues to grow out of control. Within 10 minutes, the entire building is engulfed in flames, and the focus switches to trying to prevent it from spreading.

Savannah
2011-06-24, 02:01 PM
Garret shakes his head, How can he still be in the building? he thinks.

After a moment's hesitation, he scrambles down the far side of the building he's been sitting on and goes to join the efforts to control the fire.

Rizban
2011-06-24, 10:06 PM
Garret joins the bucket line, and the water prevents the fire from spreading to nearby buildings, but the burning flat can't be saved.

Savannah
2011-06-25, 06:19 PM
Garret...doesn't really care. I mean, he only just came to town and now people are trying to kill him - he's not too concerned about the town :smalltongue:

He does keep his eyes peeled for Syrgut while he's helping with the bucket line, though.

Rizban
2011-06-25, 06:21 PM
After the fire eventually burns out, the crowd begins to disperse. There remains no sign of Syrgut.

Savannah
2011-06-25, 06:25 PM
How badly damaged is the flat? Just gutted by the fire or did it burn to the ground?

Rizban
2011-06-25, 06:26 PM
Parts of the building have collapsed, but there remains several places that are merely badly gutted. No one has approached the ruins for fear of further collapse.

Rizban
2011-07-02, 11:04 PM
{nudge} filler

Savannah
2011-07-02, 11:16 PM
{Sorry, been even more scatter-brained than usual lately}

Garret bites his lip, considering. He decides to return to the rooftop and watch the gutted building for a little longer, hoping to see Syrgut exit. If he doesn't see him in about half an hour, Garret will conclude that he likely missed seeing him exit the building at some point.

Rizban
2011-07-02, 11:32 PM
After the fire is contained, and the crowd begins to disperse, Garret notices a small pile of rubble shift. From within, Syrgut emerges unharmed by the flames. He slinks off down the back alley unseen by anyone else, wearing the largest grin you've ever seen.

Savannah
2011-07-03, 12:06 AM
Well, that can't be a good sign, Garret thinks. He quickly and quietly follows Syrgut, keeping to the shadows.

Hide [roll0], Move silently [roll1]

Rizban
2011-07-03, 01:18 AM
Syrgut is oblivious to you as he focuses on wiping the soot and other debris from his clothing. He seems to be heading north towards the Docks.

Savannah
2011-07-03, 01:30 AM
Interesting... Garret continues to tail him, hoping to find his hideout.

Rizban
2011-07-03, 01:32 AM
When he reaches King's Causeway which bridges the river from the city to the Docks, he indeed begins to cross it. There is no longer any place to hide.

Savannah
2011-07-03, 01:39 AM
What's the bridge like? Could Garret spiderclimb along the underside? Also, how many passersby are there?

Rizban
2011-07-03, 02:35 AM
The "bridge" is a lot like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/St_Michaels_Mount_from_the_Causeway_-_geograph.org.uk_-_167799.jpg) only larger and with a gatehouse on each end.

Savannah
2011-07-04, 04:53 PM
Well, that's disappointing....

Garret pulls out his potion of invisibility. He waits in his last hiding spot while Syrgut crosses most of the way across the bridge, then drinks the potion and hurries after. As soon as he's across the open area he ducks into the nearest hiding spot, of course, and continues to trail Syrgut.

Rizban
2011-07-04, 08:40 PM
As you reach the gatehouse on the far end, four guards swarm you with weapons drawn.

The nearest one shouts, "No invisibility, by order of the king! Reveal yourself at once!"

Savannah
2011-07-04, 10:26 PM
Garret immediately turns and runs, still invisible and as silent as possible.

Rizban
2011-07-12, 05:26 AM
Sorry, it showed me as the last poster and never notified me of your response. :smallannoyed:
If I got more than a day or two, hit me up with a PM.They, fortunately, can't see you and don't seem to even know for sure from which direction you were approaching. Provided that you ran back the way you came, you escape without being noticed.

Savannah
2011-07-12, 02:27 PM
Tempting though it is to try to run past them across the bridge, Garret runs back the way he came. He glances over his shoulder, trying to see if Syrgut noticed the disturbance.

Weird, I've had that happen on two threads now :smallconfused:
I just realized I forgot to say this in this thread, though: I'm having to temporarily withdraw from all of my games, as I've been unable to handle both the games and real life at the moment. I'm not sure when I'll be back, but I will be back eventually (and I may poke my nose in and post occasionally, when I feel up to it). Sorry :smallfrown:

Rizban
2011-07-12, 02:44 PM
Awww, I really liked your character too. I understand though. Feel free to post whenever you have time, and I'll update it when you do.Syrgut indeed notices the disturbance but doesn't seem to realize that it is somehow related to him.

The guards seem focused towards the Docks, as most invisible people are trying to sneak into the city rather than out of it.

Savannah
2011-07-25, 10:34 PM
Awww, I really liked your character too.

:smallbiggrin:

I'm back - mostly. I'm going to be moving in about a week and a half, and my new apartment won't have internet immediately, so I may disappear then for a while. Until then, I should be around.

Garret paces back and forth in an out of the way area, cursing under his breath. Once his invisibility has worn off, he heads back to someplace he can go shopping.

Rizban
2011-07-25, 10:38 PM
Yay! I finally have a player not chasing that stupid cat!Well, there are two entire districts in the city dedicated to shopping, North Market and South Market. The Plaza in Midtown is also a good place to go. In fact, there's a myriad of options... Was there something particular he had in mind?

Savannah
2011-07-25, 11:18 PM
I have a strange urge to find a random cat to chase :smalltongue:
He's looking for a disguise kit (and/or someone who's able to give him a disguise -- there's not really rules I know of for getting help getting a new identity) and another potion of invisibility.

Rizban
2011-07-25, 11:30 PM
Items straight from the PHB and other such sources can just be purchased at list price without needing to roleplay the purchases.

Savannah
2011-07-25, 11:54 PM
Garret begrudgingly shells out 365 gp for a potion of invisibility, a disguise kit, a small steel mirror (assuming one's not provided in the kit), and a change of clothes (a monk's outfit in a significantly different color from his current traveler's outfit). He eyes the state of his purse sadly -- he needs to find a paying job soon!

He then rents a room in the cheapest inn he can find (not sure on the cost -- if he can find one that rents by the hour, he'll take that), where he changes clothes, cuts his hair, and uses the kit to disguise himself as, well, anyone else -- he's not trying to change his race or anything fancy, just make himself look unrecognizable. (Per the SRD, the check should be made secretly when he runs into someone who's suspicious of him, so I'm not going to roll it here unless you want me to.) He examines himself critically in the mirror, then heads out of the room and towards the docks where he last saw Syrgut.

Rizban
2011-07-26, 10:40 PM
Garret finds a very cheap inn in South Market for 2cp per night.

You follow the path you think he likely took, leading you down to a row of buildings built right next to, and sometimes on, the piers.

Savannah
2011-07-26, 10:53 PM
Is this area heavily trafficked or fairly empty? And does he notice anything out of sorts in the area (Spot [roll0])?

(By the way, if you already rolled his Disguise check, I just noticed that I'd forgotten to add the +2 modifier from the kit, so his total Disguise modifier is now +5.)

Rizban
2011-07-26, 11:00 PM
This area is very heavily trafficked. Indeed, it is one of the main loading and unloading areas for river cargo. If he felt like he was being followed, then this would have been a good place to try to lose that follower. Also, if he had business to do in the Docks, this is the most likely place to do business.

Nothing in particular seems out of place. However, you do note that the sun is starting to get a little bit low in the sky and most of the businesses are beginning to close for the night.

Savannah
2011-07-26, 11:13 PM
Hmm...if places are starting to close up, hanging around in an unexplored and likely rough area where someone powerful wants to kill me seems like a very bad idea...

Garret decides to head back to the main part of town. He looks for an inn in an area he hasn't been in before, to reduce the chances of anyone recognizing him.

(Is there by any chance a map of where the different districts are? Or even just the ones Garret's been in? I'm horrible at keeping locations straight without something to look at :smallredface:)

Rizban
2011-08-02, 03:24 PM
Ack! It never showed you as having posted here, and I just decided to bump it. I'm sorry I missed your post, especially since you're one of my favorite players. :smalleek:Garret arrives back in Old Town, where he find a tavern inn named The Green Stag.

There is a map... of sorts. It's a work in progress.

http://www.mornproductions.com/map3.png
The buildings to the north of the river are where you were. The red buildings south of the river are Old Town. The buildings south of that are Midtown. Nobles' Quarter is inside the walled off area, Temple District just south of that, and Mages' Quarter just south of Midtown. Guildsman District is East Northeast of Old town. North Market and South Market are south of that/east of Midtown.

The Docks and Slums are both north of the river, and the Fortress is the island in the middle of the river.

Savannah
2011-08-02, 03:31 PM
Ack! It never showed you as having posted here, and I just decided to bump it. I'm sorry I missed your post, especially since you're one of my favorite players. :smalleek:

Don't worry about it; I'm moving on Thursday, so I've been going crazy packing over here without needing to worry about my games. :smalltongue: And :smallredface:

Garret heads into the inn, keeping alert for any signs of trouble.

There is a map... of sorts. It's a work in progress.

That's an awesome map! :smallbiggrin: (No, really, I like mapping and city maps are horribly hard to do -- yours is really good!)

Rizban
2011-08-02, 03:35 PM
No worries. Just take your time.He doesn't seem to be being followed. The barkeep nods to you as you enter and halfway watches you to see what you do, but otherwise, the patrons continue as if you weren't there.

Thanks. I've been working on it the past two or three days. I've learned three new keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop by accident that I never knew were there. :smallbiggrin:

Savannah
2011-08-02, 03:49 PM
Garret walks up to the barman and asks "How much for a room for the night?"

Rizban
2011-08-02, 03:52 PM
"That'll be four gold for a one bed, sir, six for a twofer."

Savannah
2011-08-02, 06:38 PM
Garret pays for a single bed, then goes to scope out his room -- it pays to know the escape exits in advance, it seems.

Rizban
2011-08-03, 12:10 AM
The room is on the inside of the hallway about halfway down. It has one door and no windows.

Savannah
2011-08-25, 01:55 PM
Alright, after moving half way across the country, not having internet, and my computer dying, I'm finally here and ready to get back into it!

Garret uses a couple of the daggers he got from the fellow who attacked him earlier to try to wedge the door shut. Eying his work critically, he eats some of his everlasting rations and drinks from his everfull mug, then heads to bed.

Rizban
2011-08-25, 10:31 PM
The door is wedged shut. He sleeps peacefully and awakes refreshed.

Savannah
2011-08-25, 10:49 PM
(I'm assuming he gets back hp from resting.) Garret looks at himself critically in the mirror and touches up his disguise, then casts(?) his spiderwalk invocation.

After collecting the daggers he used on the door, Garret heads out of the inn. Once on the street, however, he hesitates, mentally debating between following up on where he last saw Syrgut and finding a job to earn back some of the money he spent. Finally, he decides to go back to the docks. Along the way, he keeps his head down and his eyes open for trouble.

Savannah
2011-08-28, 06:49 PM
Hey, don't know if there was another bug where my latest post didn't show up (I seem to get that a lot in this game :smallconfused:) as you've PMed me but not posted here since my last one. Does Garret notice anything on his way to the docks?

Rizban
2011-08-28, 09:50 PM
You regain HP equal to your HD with one night's rest.Garret notices that the streets are rather empty, even during the day as he approaches King's Causeway which bridges the river over to the Docks. A guard at the gatehouse says, "Best be careful if you go over there, the gangs have gotten out of control, and it's practically a full war going on now."

Savannah
2011-08-28, 10:11 PM
"Really? Thank you for the warning! Unfortunately, my business takes me across anyway, but perhaps you could give me a hand. Is there anything I should watch out for, any gang symbols or gestures I should avoid to avoid looking like a member of one of the gangs?"

Rizban
2011-08-28, 10:34 PM
"Well, the first sign you'll see that you've stumbled across the Skulks is when a dagger pierces your kidneys. They're brutal and damn near invisible. The Khan's goblinoid militia is pretty obvious, and the others are just kind of killing everyone they can. It's just turned into insanity lately."

Savannah
2011-08-28, 10:36 PM
"Good to know...any idea what started it? Seems odd for it to just happen all of a sudden."

Rizban
2011-08-28, 11:15 PM
"Something tipped the balance of power, but we're not sure what. Personally, I think it's just that the Skulks finally managed to recruit someone really powerful that could take on the higher ups in the Jacks."I know you said no last time, but I'm going to ask again. Do you think you'd be interested in DMing AVB? Just two or three players to start with, and more if you decide you want to DM more.

Savannah
2011-08-28, 11:56 PM
Garret nods his thanks for the information to the guard, then proceeds across the bridge -- carefully. As soon as he gets across, he's on high alert, looking for danger as well as an out of the way place to slip off into the shadows.

Rizban
2011-08-29, 01:30 PM
The bridge seems nearly abandoned during the day. As you step into the shadows, you feel much less safe as the sense of being watched increases dramatically.

Savannah
2011-08-29, 03:51 PM
OOC: Does that mean I can't Hide, since I don't have any way to hide while being watched, or is it just flavor?

Rizban
2011-08-29, 05:39 PM
Yes, that's precisely what it means. You indeed are being watched.

Savannah
2011-08-29, 05:45 PM
Garret looks around casually as he walks on, hoping his disguise will hold up to scrutiny.

Spot [roll0]

Rizban
2011-08-29, 10:18 PM
He spots a number of heavily armed hobgoblins and small gangs of armed goblins roaming the streets on alert against attack. From the alleyways, he hears the occasional scream and the brief sounds of combat... or perhaps just murder.

Savannah
2011-08-31, 07:34 PM
OOC: Just wanted to note that I haven't forgotten to respond to this; I've just been really stuck on what to do...

Rizban
2011-09-01, 12:47 AM
Hint: If it's dangerous in the shadows, then... what does that leave?