View Full Version : What do you most wish you were able to do by the rules?

Endarire
2011-05-02, 04:11 AM
D&D 3.5 is a patchwork of abilities and ideas. Magic can do anything, but more specific abilities would you want in 3.5?

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 04:16 AM
Have more fun with fewer headaches for my GM. Not live in terror of the Hezrou.

Endarire
2011-05-02, 04:17 AM
Doc Roc, I would like more specifics!

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 04:18 AM
Doc Roc, I would like more specifics!

Let's see. I would like good mobile fighting, along the lines of our Swashbuckler track. Having to scrounge for ways to curve my charges, and worry about interdicting abrupt jaunt is.... terrible?

Endarire
2011-05-02, 04:20 AM
Assuming there's no Abrupt Jaunt, what then?

BillyBobJoe
2011-05-02, 04:20 AM
Dual-wield buildings. How awesome would that be.

Kaeso
2011-05-02, 04:36 AM
The ability to play a melee class without being redundant.

Alleran
2011-05-02, 04:40 AM
Easy fastball specials.

Eldan
2011-05-02, 04:56 AM
More versatile illusions and enchantments, as well as control magic that is able to directly and precisely shape the battlefield. More interesting alchemy. I'd also like more fey creatures, but that's not something the characters do.

Milo v3
2011-05-02, 06:09 AM
Have all the powers in prototype as class abilities and not have to be super high level. (Actually I think I might make something like this now. Based of the Druid of course).
Note: This would probably be a great martial class which won't be redundant.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-02, 06:19 AM
I'd like for characters to be able to ignore magic more often, and under more circumstances, without magic themselves.

Amnestic
2011-05-02, 06:26 AM
Have all the powers in prototype as class abilities and not have to be super high level. (Actually I think I might make something like this now. Based of the Druid of course).

The Ozodrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536) may be of interest to you. Not exactly the same, but it might provide a good base if you want to build on it.

Eldan
2011-05-02, 06:38 AM
Oh, and more rules for things which are alive, but shouldn't be. The Genius Loci really wasn't all that good. I want more living landscapes. And buildings. And planar layers.

Milo v3
2011-05-02, 06:48 AM
Oh, and more rules for things which are alive, but shouldn't be. The Genius Loci really wasn't all that good. I want more living landscapes. And buildings. And planar layers.

Are you taking about Genius Loci the creature or Genius Loci the spell?

Planar: Thier has to be at least one living layer of the Abyss though so their is one down.
Buildings: One of the creatures in Cityscape I think. Its a fey which tries to protect the city its in. It has it indestructable gasesous form which covers the entire city, Colossal Smoke Humanoid thing, or Made of the Buildings of the city (With people still inside falling out).

Edit: Thanks for that link to tooth and claw.:smallsmile:
Very interesting. Though I am kind of annoyed that you have to have them all at once though or none at all.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-02, 09:36 AM
An out of the box (meaning level 1 using just class not race or it's lvl 1 feat) martial type character who can do all the things one would expect a lvl 1 badass to be able to do stand toe to toe with an appropriate CR encounter, try to hold off a superior opponent for a few rounds, disarm, trip and most importantly punch things in the face like a man.

Of course most of these would require the appropriate good stats to be feasable.

Also it would be really cool if some kind of outside factors made the feasability of manuevers like trip, disarm and grapple change over the course of a fight rather than being the same every round.

Metahuman1
2011-05-02, 10:07 AM
Take as many Traits and Flaws as I feel I want, not the same 1 Trait 2 Flaws every character.

Not have to take a penalty too attack rolls to deal none lethal damage.

Have moderately effective unarmed combat for all melee classes, with monk just being uber effective with it.

Same, but with ranged weapons and have people who specialize in it just be able to be uber good.

Not have to burn feats or trust luck of the dice to be able to start out knowing how to use a given weapon or armor type.

under_score
2011-05-02, 11:30 AM
For a long time I've wanted to build a character who specializes in improvised weapons and fighting in unusual circumstances (somewhat like most Jackie Chan characters). There's a damage table for improvised weapons at the end of Complete Warrior and there's the (rather awful) Throw Anything feat and a few skill tricks that might work with this idea, but I haven't seen any classes/builds/etc that would make this kind of character shine and not just fall flat as an even worse fighter type.

CTrees
2011-05-02, 11:54 AM
Play a somewhat balanced Githyanki. In 3.x, there have been, let's say several different versions, and the ones I've seen are either crippled by level adjustment coupled with not-that-impressive abilities, or oh-my-god-broken-powerful (ex., 3.5 Manual of the Planes, CL16 Telekinesis at will, even at level one, w/ SR and other SLAs, +1LA). Look, they're my favorite race, and there's a character concept I've wanted to use for ages (short form, an actual githyanki gish, stranded on the prime material plane when the rest of his party was wiped out, with the long-term goals of 1) finishing the orignal quest his party came to the prime material for and 2) getting back home, though I have rather a lot more characterization in mind).

Geigan
2011-05-02, 11:56 AM
I want to play a tibbit totemist/swordsage so i could be a badass ninja kitty focusing on natural attacks. Unfortunately shadow blade doesn't work with natural attacks, only unarmed strikes, so technically it still works but I do crap damage and would have to leave kitty form to be remotely useful. I'm hoping my DM allows it anyway for the lulz of the kitty being more deadly than your average warrior.

Maybe rename the school shadow paw and change all the names to be cat themed.

Edit: essentially this
http://www.lunkos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/lolcat7.gif

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 11:56 AM
The ability to play a melee class without being redundant.
That's called warblade from Tome of Battle.

I'd like for characters to be able to ignore magic more often, and under more circumstances, without magic themselves.

That's called iron heart surge.

On topic, I want rules for helmets and spiked helmets.

Hecuba
2011-05-02, 11:59 AM

One single instance of a rule doesn't strike me as an option that comes up "often" relative to the total rule base.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-02, 12:00 PM
No, it's really not. A simple Cleric level 2 spell like Hold Person has no remedy in Iron Heart Surge. And what about Magic Missile and the various Orb spells? You can't ignore those magical effects either.

danzibr
2011-05-02, 01:41 PM
Play as a cat without the silly LA or racial HD. And have that cat be able to wield stuff. I've already looked at Tibbit btw.

GoatBoy
2011-05-02, 01:47 PM
Use a shield with some degree of effectiveness.

Feel like I can play every class effectively without having to cherry-pick material from seventeen different splatbooks.

Jump on a dragon's back and fight it from there.

Play a Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger/Monk/Rogue with high charisma and have it mean something, instead of just being a waste of points/high rolls.

under_score
2011-05-02, 01:52 PM

Perhaps my greatest dnd moment was quite close to this. After our airship had been wrecked in the fight with a dragon (and his undead associates), we all jumped overboard (having feather fall tokens) into the Mournland of all places. The dragon pursued. Our wizard moved his raven familiar next to the dragon, provoking AoO. He then cast benign transportation on me and the bird. I full attacked the dragon, with my Goliath Warblade, and decapitated him. All before we reached the ground.

Quietus
2011-05-02, 01:54 PM
On topic, I want rules for helmets and spiked helmets.

Spiked armor does this. Just say the spike is on your helmet.

Play as a cat without the silly LA or racial HD. And have that cat be able to wield stuff. I've already looked at Tibbit btw.

Cats don't have level adjustment, and their 1/4 racial HD goes away when you take your first level. Of course, I guess 2 int is painful..

Taelas
2011-05-02, 01:55 PM
Rogues can make Diplomancers... so they can use Cha.

erikun
2011-05-02, 01:56 PM
I'd like to play a character that makes and uses constructs for combat, either beforehand or with different levels of variation to the Animate Objects spell.

I tried this once with the Effigy Master, and let's just say that the results were... uninspiring. (Part of the problem may have been allowing the DM to convince me to learn the Fabricate spell first, and our campaign ended shortly afterwards.)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 01:57 PM
Ever heard of shield bashing?

Feel like I can play every class effectively without having to cherry-pick material from seventeen different splatbooks.
That is bad.

I think you can do that, though you probably need the giantbane feat.

Play a Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger/Monk/Rogue with high charisma and have it mean something, instead of just being a waste of points/high rolls.

The only score that combination can afford to dump is charisma. So yeah, big problem.

Telonius
2011-05-02, 01:59 PM
The ability to play a Lawful Barbarian.*
The ability to play a Lawful Bard.*
The ability to play a Rogue who gets Weapon Finesse at level 1.*

*- without having to dive through various PrCs, feats, ACFs, variant class rules, or other annoying hoops.

GoatBoy
2011-05-02, 02:04 PM
Ever heard of shield bashing?

Okay, shields are not useless, but they are a distant third behind TWF (itself not great) and using a 2-hander.

The only score that combination can afford to dump is charisma. So yeah, big problem.

Heh, I meant any of those classes, not a multiclass of all of them.

Dragonfire
2011-05-02, 02:06 PM
Blasters/Blaster spells that are effective at high levels without having to base your entire class on it.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-02, 02:12 PM
The ability to make magical items without being a magic-user yourself (through alchemy or whatever; use magical body parts from creatures if necessary) it would deal with a lot of the problems I see in the game.

Magic that can be cast through skills rather then class so anyone with an int score has access to some magic, though not too much. Maybe simply graft Truenaming onto everyone.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-02, 02:43 PM
Spiked armor does this. Just say the spike is on your helmet.

Cats don't have level adjustment, and their 1/4 racial HD goes away when you take your first level. Of course, I guess 2 int is painful..

Provided you don't mind looking like a goomba.

Also, things with Int less than 3 can not be player races and having an LA of - is not the same as +0. Otherwise I would be playing a Gelatinous Cube with the Half-Dragon Template.

Gnaeus
2011-05-02, 02:51 PM
Apply templates to monsters/characters with a mechanic. For example, I can turn a Hyena into a Gnoll with PAO (Same kingdom, class, type, size) permanently with a single standard action. But if I want to be a mad wizard and turn it into a Fiendish Hyena I can't do it in any amount of time.

Similarly, it would be nice for muggles if I could apply templates to them after the game had started. Even if they had to give up levels for them, it would often still be worth it.

Quietus
2011-05-02, 03:30 PM
Provided you don't mind looking like a goomba.

Also, things with Int less than 3 can not be player races and having an LA of - is not the same as +0. Otherwise I would be playing a Gelatinous Cube with the Half-Dragon Template.

What's wrong with looking like a goomba? ... Dammit, now I want to play Mario.

Also, I'm aware of the LA rules and such. Even an awakened cat would only have two racial hit dice, hardly unbearable, and I'm not aware of any rule saying that you can't get them level drained away and replace them with something else.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-02, 03:30 PM
On the topic of ignoring magic; Iron heart surge is out there and available if it isn't seeing tons of play at your table then it should be. And before level 10 (when noninitiators can get it) your just not badass enough the yell "BY CROM". When it comes to ignoring more blasty magic there's Evasion and Mettle (though mettle could be easier to aquire). Seriously how would you propose ignoring magic missile without magic from a purely fluff perspective? If your answer is just being that BA then I refer you to massive hp totals.

Flip side effective blasting without building your character around it; why you can't hit things with a pointed stick effectively without building your character around it. A level 20 wizard casting a unmodified fireball for 10d6 save for half is still better than a lvl 20 fighter with all archery feats hitting things with a pointy stick.

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 03:41 PM
Blasters/Blaster spells that are effective at high levels without having to base your entire class on it.

Psioonicccsss..?

faceroll
2011-05-02, 04:06 PM
"BY CROM"

IHS doesn't let you overcome stuff like Hold Person, by RAW, unfortunately. Not that I know anyone who runs it RAW, but there you go.

druid91
2011-05-02, 04:18 PM
IHS doesn't let you overcome stuff like Hold Person, by RAW, unfortunately. Not that I know anyone who runs it RAW, but there you go.

IIRC Iron Heart Surge is villified as broken because it can get rid of anything that effects the user.

Hence "Iron heart surge...THE SUN!!!"

Eldan
2011-05-02, 04:20 PM
Are you taking about Genius Loci the creature or Genius Loci the spell?

Planar: Thier has to be at least one living layer of the Abyss though so their is one down.
Buildings: One of the creatures in Cityscape I think. Its a fey which tries to protect the city its in. It has it indestructable gasesous form which covers the entire city, Colossal Smoke Humanoid thing, or Made of the Buildings of the city (With people still inside falling out).

I meant the creature. It doesn't do what the name says it should.

And I know that there's living planar layers. That's the prime inspiration, really. That, and Neth. But I want stats to fight those abyssal layers. Or enter negotiations with them to become demon lords. Or fuse with them.

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 04:23 PM

And I know that there's living planar layers. That's the prime inspiration, really. That, and Neth. But I want stats to fight those abyssal layers. Or enter negotiations with them to become demon lords. Or fuse with them.

Cost of generation against chance of use seems bad here.

Eldan
2011-05-02, 04:27 PM
Hey, it's "what you wish you could do by the rules", not "what you think should be part of the rules for sensible reasons" :smallwink:

Thing is, sentient landscapes are just a thing that always fascinated me whenever they show up in fiction.

Marxism
2011-05-02, 04:27 PM
Build a grappler with spiked full plate and actually be effective against most opponents.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 04:31 PM
Build a grappler with spiked full plate and actually be effective against most opponents.

Oh yeah, you ever heard of the dwarven Gutbuster brigade? Their leader, a dwarf battlerager, wears spiked gauntlets, spiked full plate, and a spiked helmet. He takes down drow easily, but he probably wouldn't be very effective against large creatures.

cfalcon
2011-05-02, 05:04 PM
I'd like better simulation of swordfighting and martial techniques in general, stuff following real world logic that really drives home how awesome these guys are.

I'd like a nice compromise for high level characters that gives them some of their attacks when they move. I've tried a few and continue to do so. One attack after a move is entirely too weak.

druid91
2011-05-02, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah, you ever heard of the dwarven Gutbuster brigade? Their leader, a dwarf battlerager, wears spiked gauntlets, spiked full plate, and a spiked helmet. He takes down drow easily, but he probably wouldn't be very effective against large creatures.

Good old Pwent...

But that would probably end up invoking the chunky salsa rule.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 05:47 PM
Good old Pwent...

But that would probably end up invoking the chunky salsa rule.

That's what his name was! I forgot.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-02, 06:07 PM
Build a grappler with spiked full plate That isn't the largest creature size possibleand actually be effective against most opponents.

Fixed that for you.

@Faceroll

Oh and hold Person etc can be ignored by passing will saves so they can be ignored through completely nonmagical means no need for Iron Heart Surge. IHS is for no saves and failed saves.

Urpriest
2011-05-02, 06:16 PM
The ability to play an awakened animal. More extensively, I would like every awaken spell variant to assign an LA.

The ability to play a monster with the same stats as the monsters the DM throws at me, at the same levels the DM throws them at me, and have the result be balanced.

More intuitive and straightforward vehicle rules.

JaronK
2011-05-02, 07:11 PM
I'd want to be able to use mundane crafting to make actually useful stuff, without having to spend feats on it. If I kill a dragon, I want to be able to make really awesome armor and weapons and such if I have sufficient crafting ability, and for that gear to be level appropriate.

JaronK

faceroll
2011-05-02, 07:14 PM
I'd want to be able to use mundane crafting to make actually useful stuff, without having to spend feats on it. If I kill a dragon, I want to be able to make really awesome armor and weapons and such if I have sufficient crafting ability, and for that gear to be level appropriate.

JaronK

I would like to see a great expansion of the rules based on turning monsters and environmental stuff into useful items.

Milo v3
2011-05-02, 07:25 PM

You're right thier should be Living Buildings, planes, and layers and it would be awesome to do your examples.
Note: Need to add at least one of these to Blades Of Keran.

Rei_Jin
2011-05-02, 07:48 PM
1) Weapon Group proficiencies (Unearthed Arcana) to replace flat weapon proficiencies, so that a fighter can use his special weapon without a feat.
2) Weapon Finesse to be simply an option to do, not require a feat.
3) Improved Unarmed Strike to be simply an option to do, not require a feat.
4) Non-lethal Substitution to be simply an option to do, not require a feat.
5) I want to bring Spellcasters (Tier 1 and 2s) in line with the ToB mechanics, so that the game is more mechanically balanced.
6) I want the monk class to be a viable option for 20 levels, without needing to resort to rewrites, templates, prestige class or base class dips, feat overload, or magical dependancy syndrome. And no, Swordsage doesn't count.

Sure, I can houserule all this stuff in. But that doesn't make it part of the core mechanics.

Zaq
2011-05-02, 07:52 PM
I wish that you could have "item crafter" be a major part of your character's job description without all the mess associated with it. Artificers are way too powerful and have way too much bookkeeping, while normal crafters either hose themselves (if your GM, like most GMs I've played with, doesn't bother to calculate individual XP totals for each party member), shatter WBL into tiny pieces, or sit around with some useless feats that they only used once or twice.

I don't know how you could strike the balance between a WBLmancer's "I AM THE MARKETPLACE" and a more "I guess you could craft it . . . or you could just buy it like the rest of us" approach. Maybe if item crafting let you mix and match a bunch of smaller effects into unique things rather than giving you the kinds of capital-letter Magic Items you find in a dragon hoard? Eh, I'm drifting off into something weird.

Still, I'd love to play a crafter without giving either myself or my GM a headache. Whether a master dwarven weaponsmith (some cliches are worth embracing), or a walking potion bar with a vial of something for every occasion, or a tinkerer who makes crap like vehicles or constructs, or whatever . . . it's a fun archetype that just isn't worth the hassle in 3.5. Yes, you CAN play a crafter (I mean, hell, the Artificer exists), but not in a way that I find both convenient and satisfying.

Maybe this is why I like incarnum so much, now that I think about it . . .

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 07:55 PM
I wish that you could have "item crafter" be a major part of your character's job description without all the mess associated with it. Artificers are way too powerful and have way too much bookkeeping, while normal crafters either hose themselves (if your GM, like most GMs I've played with, doesn't bother to calculate individual XP totals for each party member), shatter WBL into tiny pieces, or sit around with some useless feats that they only used once or twice.

I don't know how you could strike the balance between a WBLmancer's "I AM THE MARKETPLACE" and a more "I guess you could craft it . . . or you could just buy it like the rest of us" approach. Maybe if item crafting let you mix and match a bunch of smaller effects into unique things rather than giving you capital-letter Magic Items? Eh, I'm drifting off into something weird.

Still, I'd love to play a crafter without giving either myself or my GM a headache. Whether a master dwarven weaponsmith (some cliches are worth embracing), or a walking potion bar with a vial of something for every occasion, or a tinkerer who makes crap like vehicles or constructs, or whatever . . . it's a fun archetype that just isn't worth the hassle in 3.5. Yes, you CAN play a crafter (I mean, hell, the Artificer exists), but not in a way that I find both convenient and satisfying.

Yeah, I like the character archetype of Bentley in Sly Cooper, but it's pretty much impossible to play in 3.5 or 4e, don't have any of the older editions, but I'm thinking of buying the 2e books.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-02, 08:26 PM
IIRC Iron Heart Surge is villified as broken because it can get rid of anything that effects the user.

Hence "Iron heart surge...THE SUN!!!"
That's only because people with an inadequate understanding of the rules of grammar play D&D.

The Iron Heart Surge maneuver will immediately end "one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds." As this specification is grammatically distinct from "1 round or longer", the Surge is only effective against impediments with a stated duration of some number of rounds; durations expressed in minutes or other units of time are unaffected. So you can Surge out of a tanglefoot bag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#tanglefootBag), which stays sticky for 2d4 rounds, but not out of the sun, which doesn't have a duration. You also can't cancel some impediment with a duration not expressed in rounds, such as poison (ability damage lasting 1 day per point).

(The D&D rules really do make this distinction between the units used for various effects.

Metabreath Feats, Draconomicon page 66:

To take a metabreath feat, a creature must have a breath weapon whose time between breaths is expressed in rounds. Therefore, a hell hound (which can breathe once every 2d4 rounds) can take metabreath feats, whereas a behir (breath weapon usable 1/minute) cannot.

Breath weapon says "once every 10 rounds"? Eligible. Breath weapon that says "once every minute"? Not eligible. Are they the same amount of time? Absolutely! And thus the picky attention to grammar with Iron Heart Surge.)

druid91
2011-05-02, 08:39 PM
That's only because people with an inadequate understanding of the rules of grammar play D&D.

The Iron Heart Surge maneuver will immediately end "one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds." As this specification is grammatically distinct from "1 round or longer", the Surge is only effective against impediments with a stated duration of some number of rounds; durations expressed in minutes or other units of time are unaffected. So you can Surge out of a tanglefoot bag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#tanglefootBag), which stays sticky for 2d4 rounds, but not out of the sun, which doesn't have a duration. You also can't cancel some impediment with a duration not expressed in rounds, such as poison (ability damage lasting 1 day per point).

(The D&D rules really do make this distinction between the units used for various effects.

Metabreath Feats, Draconomicon page 66:

To take a metabreath feat, a creature must have a breath weapon whose time between breaths is expressed in rounds. Therefore, a hell hound (which can breathe once every 2d4 rounds) can take metabreath feats, whereas a behir (breath weapon usable 1/minute) cannot.

Breath weapon says "once every 10 rounds"? Eligible. Breath weapon that says "once every minute"? Not eligible. Are they the same amount of time? Absolutely! And thus the picky attention to grammar with Iron Heart Surge.)

Yet, This fails to understand measurements. By this reasoning I could simply rewrite it in the numer of rounds, instantly eligible.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-02, 08:42 PM
I love the idea of better crafting too. I had a DM back in second ed that used a magic item creation system based on some other system, rolemaster I think. You could make all kinds of doodads and whatsits with it all kinds of factors mattered like exotic materials including nonmagical common things with symbolic importance to the crafter or his client and things like the mental state of the cafter and of course what magical glyphs were included (these had to be researched and quested for) it was a very cool system and I think there were alot of other factors involved too phases of the moon or the alignment of the planes and what not.

I had a character in another game that set out to be a dragon slayer in a very dragon heavy world I told the DM I wanted to kill one dragon of every type or at least a dragon associated with every D&D energy type and craft a suit of armor and greatsword that granted resistence to every energy type and dealt aditional damage of every type. Of course by the rules the "rainbow sword" would cost a fortune and suck balls and the armor would be just slightly better (I think epic has a buy every resist at once option that's more cost effective). Upon further discussion he agreed that at high levels in his campaign we would mostly be fighting things with multiple energy resistances making it far from worth it's official +value. So, we agreed that with a few additions to be named later my character's insane personal goals would be sufficient to create a minor artifact set.

I wish that game had gone a bit further it went from 3-12 and I was getting close to my goal I think I just needed a blue, I'd even killed a dracolich so I could get a negative energy effect.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-02, 09:12 PM
Yet, This fails to understand measurements. By this reasoning I could simply rewrite it in the numer of rounds, instantly eligible.
It doesn't fail to understand measurements; it simply states that mathematical equivalency does not create rules equivalency. Rewriting the rules means you're creating a house rule (immediately not eligible anywhere except in your own game).

No brains
2011-05-02, 09:32 PM
See an effective user of solely (Ex) abilities who can hunt down and kill squishy wizards without just getting their ass handed to them instantly or precognitively.

JaronK
2011-05-02, 09:32 PM
So... a Wizard then?

I know I know, not what you meant.

JaronK

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 09:33 PM
See an effective user of solely (Ex) abilities who can hunt down and kill squishy wizards without just getting their ass handed to them instantly or precognitively.

It's called warblade.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-02, 09:34 PM
It's called warblade.

Warblades can't really beat wizards any better than Fighters can. Iron Heart Surge only goes so far for handling debuffs, and it doesn't help with Foresight, Celerity, Contingency, or any of the other stuff that make endgame wizards truly unstoppable.

Unless you define "unable to defeat a wizard" as the condition IHS is used to end.:smallbiggrin:

druid91
2011-05-02, 09:48 PM
It doesn't fail to understand measurements; it simply states that mathematical equivalency does not create rules equivalency. Rewriting the rules means you're creating a house rule (immediately not eligible anywhere except in your own game).

No. There is no difference at all, between an hour, and 60 minutes.

You are not even rewriting the rules, you are changing it to read in a different form that says the exact same thing.

You might as well say that any D&D books written in foreign languages don't count, because they are using a different method to say the exact same thing.

Incanur
2011-05-02, 09:54 PM
Cut off an enemy's arm with a sword blow.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-02, 09:56 PM
Cut off an enemy's arm with a sword blow.

You know, I think there's a variant rule in the DMG for criticals, you roll a die to see where you hit (arm, leg, ear, eye, etc.).

Curmudgeon
2011-05-02, 10:10 PM
No. There is no difference at all, between an hour, and 60 minutes.
There is a difference in a rules context. A contract can specify that only "Brand X" parts be used. If "Brand X" has two product labels, one "Brand X", and an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version, you can be in violation of the contract if you use the OEM version ─ even though they're identical parts coming off the same production line, with only the label on the package being different.

D&D is a system of rules. I've showed that the game authors do make a distinction between 10 rounds and 1 minute, even though in a measurement context these are identical. It's only the rules context that matters, though, so your mathematical equivalency argument has no standing.

Incanur
2011-05-02, 10:43 PM
You know, I think there's a variant rule in the DMG for criticals, you roll a die to see where you hit (arm, leg, ear, eye, etc.).

Yeah, but it only imposes a dinky -2 penalty on associated skill checks or some such. And such hits would be rare. On the other hand, the sunder rules allow for cutting the ring off an opponents finger. And it's not even very difficult to accomplish!

No brains
2011-05-02, 11:03 PM
So... a Wizard then?

I know I know, not what you meant.

You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.

Also, I'm stealing your sig. >:/

Ajadea
2011-05-02, 11:09 PM
Tank as a viable, valuable, role.

Melee having more tactics to use (sword-and-board as a viable fighter build, parrying as a mechanic that doesn't require a feat, chopping off limbs, delaying strikes for increased power). Don't even mention Tome of Battle-not everyone has access to it, it doesn't fix everything, and some people don't want Per-Encounter Powers in their 3.5.

Magic not being the be-all-end-all.

Epsilon Rose
2011-05-02, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see a magic system that allowed experimentation so it felt like you could actually progress the craft and where manipulating unseen forces rather than just using set skills (like a programer/hacker vs. someone confined to macros).
A decent LA system. As it stands I have a bunch of concepts that would require a monster race, if for nothing but the flavor, but with the current LA rules they'd be completely impractical.
Better melee combat.
Much Much better grapple rules.
Better crafting.
More diverse weapons and materials (I don't mean more of them, I mean better/more relevant distinctions).
Called shots.

Drglenn
2011-05-02, 11:16 PM

Melee having more tactics to use (sword-and-board as a viable fighter build, parrying as a mechanic that doesn't require a feat, chopping off limbs, delaying strikes for increased power). Don't even mention Tome of Battle-not everyone has access to it, it doesn't fix everything, and some people don't want Per-Encounter Powers in their 3.5.

So... to play 4e then?

My suggestion:
To have rules justification in slapping people upside the head (OOC) who utter the phrase 'That's what my character would do' when they act like a complete douche IC and/or get the rest of the party killed/messed up

No brains
2011-05-02, 11:19 PM
Much Much better grapple rules.

Dumb as it may sound, I like how grapple works. I think the awkward and slow rules capture the dicey struggle that is a grapple.

Every other thing on the list- yeah. I would like that.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-02, 11:20 PM
A warblade can, can not will, beat batman. If you mean batman as presented in the origional Being Batman guide however, a lot of people have pushed the envelope of batman further and further into the realm of God/TO and nothing can kill that.

faceroll
2011-05-02, 11:24 PM
There is a difference in a rules context. A contract can specify that only "Brand X" parts be used. If "Brand X" has two product labels, one "Brand X", and an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version, you can be in violation of the contract if you use the OEM version ─ even though they're identical parts coming off the same production line, with only the label on the package being different.

D&D is a system of rules. I've showed that the game authors do make a distinction between 10 rounds and 1 minute, even though in a measurement context these are identical. It's only the rules context that matters, though, so your mathematical equivalency argument has no standing.

For instance:
An ability that increases duration from rounds to minutes and minutes to hours would have a radically different effect on something that had a duration listed as "1 minute" as opposed to a duration that lasted "10 rounds".

Geigan
2011-05-02, 11:54 PM
I also want better rules for dropping things on people. As it is it's either too simple to the point of overpowered or it's a ridiculously garbled bit of RAW that just feels like a pain to use for something so simple.

As it is I just have them roll a ranged attack with an improvised weapon, but this doesn't cover all situations and feels too generalized for others.

Epsilon Rose
2011-05-03, 12:21 AM
Dumb as it may sound, I like how grapple works. I think the awkward and slow rules capture the dicey struggle that is a grapple.

Every other thing on the list- yeah. I would like that.
I don't know how much experiance you have with grappling, but my limited training in jeet kune do leads me to disagree. More importantly, I was complaining about what you can do. The current grapple rules do a terrible job of simulating locks, pins, and the various other nasty techniques to can pull off (I dare you to find me an equivalent to an arm bar).

I also want better rules for dropping things on people. As it is it's either too simple to the point of overpowered or it's a ridiculously garbled bit of RAW that just feels like a pain to use for something so simple.

As it is I just have them roll a ranged attack with an improvised weapon, but this doesn't cover all situations and feels too generalized for others.
Jah, better mechanics for the physics of the fall might be nice too (orbital cannons would be a whole lot more fun with a blast radius).

I'd also like to add to my list A replacement for the alignment system. As it is the current alignment system doesn't really work (as evidenced by the many threads about it) and has a tendency to encourage bad role-playing and jerkishness. I'd much rather have a system of adjectives (like Innocent, Ruthless, Lackadaisical, or Tapioca) that actively encourages changes and character growth and possibly allows more than one adjective.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-03, 05:15 AM
A whole lot of what I wanted got half-implemented in Pathfinder one way or another. In general, they took one step in the right direction when I would have preferred three.

I want racial classes, with subrace archetypes. Favored Classes, Paragon Classes, and Substitution levels all rolled into one package with 20 levels and a capstone.

I want to play an arcane healer. Bard's almost good enough, but they don't have the ability to remove status effects without jumping through a lot of hoops. The Graft system is nice, but I rather wish that it were more robust; I'm a big fan of the Xixchil. Being able to play an effective evil-aligned healer would be a nice plus.

I want different Sorcerer bloodlines to have different class abilities and spell lists.

I want Clerics of different deities to have different abilities.

I want to be able to multiclass. Specifically, I want to be able to advance my abilities in any combination of two or three classes of my choice and remain a viable character, as was possible in AD&D. I've more or less got the rules for this worked out, but it would be nice to see people other than me using them.

I want immortality. Timeless body sucks. I want to become a god, and continue adventuring as a god, and fight things that can kick my ass as a god. I want to shake the heavens and turn the campaign setting inside out.

Togo
2011-05-03, 05:40 PM

Use martial, from minature's handbook,a dn then go to town on special moves. I build a good tripper/bullrusher doing that.

Master of Many Forms not close enough then? They make pretty good wizard killers.

What I'd really like to do is be able to choose to use the Seeker of the Song refrains as move or standard actions, as well as swift actions. Makes the class viable. Never met a DM that would allow me to do it though...

druid91
2011-05-03, 07:07 PM
Make walking corpses from the very beginning.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-05-03, 08:02 PM

I'm going to disagree with you here. Anyone with access to the internet has access to the juicier portions of ToB.

The Warblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2)
The Maneuvers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a)
The Feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=3)

All legal, all free. Sadly, you don't get the Crusader, which is one of the best ways to play a viable tank.

As for things I'd like, I want any class race combination to be adequate at worst. I want Freddy Fluff-lover to be able play in the same in the same campaign as Olivia Optimizer and not feel totally worthless. Yes, I want Olivia to be rewarded for her efforts, but I don't want Freddy to be punished for wanting to try something fun. Lazy Larry should also be able to show up twenty minutes late for character creation, roll up his stats, grab the first three feats he recognizes, and still contribute to the campaign.

What this comes down to is balance. Again, I'm going to bring up ToB. One of the best parts of this book is how narrow the optimization range is. Sure, some maneuvers are better than others, but at the end of the day the swordsage with all Desert Sun maneuvers will be able to participate in the same fight as the Warblade/Crusader lockdown build using Stormguard Warrior, Robilar's Gambit, and Defensive Sweep.

In summary, if I want to play a terrible character, make me work for it.

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-03, 09:59 PM

Necromancer ACF in UA.

druid91
2011-05-03, 10:12 PM
Necromancer ACF in UA.

That wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it is close enough for you to have my thanks.:smallbiggrin:

Zaq
2011-05-03, 10:19 PM

Is level 2 early enough? Evil Incarnate. Necrocarnum Circlet bound to the Crown chakra. Check it out.

Incanur
2011-05-03, 11:03 PM
I want immortality. Timeless body sucks. I want to become a god, and continue adventuring as a god, and fight things that can kick my ass as a god. I want to shake the heavens and turn the campaign setting inside out.

D&D allows for this, though admittedly without any semblance of game balance beyond what the DM imposes. Perhaps my favorite 3.x moments involved a divine ascension plot, despite the difficulty of epic-level combat by the rules. (I've vowed to never run it again.)

JaronK
2011-05-03, 11:38 PM

Epic does this already. There's immortality options even below epic (such as a necromancy spell that makes you younger by stealing the lives of others) for mages, and there's even a few classes that just grant immortality of the real kind. Also, there's undeath. And the Ritual of Change to become an outsider. Really, it's quite doable.

JaronK

No brains
2011-05-04, 12:01 PM
I don't know how much experiance you have with grappling, but my limited training in jeet kune do leads me to disagree. More importantly, I was complaining about what you can do. The current grapple rules do a terrible job of simulating locks, pins, and the various other nasty techniques to can pull off (I dare you to find me an equivalent to an arm bar).

I'm guessing getting a pin on someone and dealing unarmed strike damage (you only need to win a grapple check, not an attack roll) isn't close enough, it looks like there may be some STR damage in there- but D&D is full of weird stuff that would require broader meanings to some maneuvers. "I want to give it a flying arm-bar!" "It's a griffin." "Cool! Literal flying arm-bar!"

The +4 from improved grapple represents the increased difficulty of someone who knows more than average (took a feat) trapping someone in an arm bar. A +4 is a big bonus at levels 1-4, which is where most 'real' people stand. I hope that was good enough.

One thing I want to see gone is bluff-related feinting. While I get that the use of bluff helps a cha-rogue get in more sneak attacks, feinting is already integral in any attack and is represented in the BAB. Mastery of hitting must entail something more than an ever faster swing speed.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-04, 12:12 PM
One thing I want to see gone is bluff-related feinting. While I get that the use of bluff helps a cha-rogue get in more sneak attacks, feinting is already integral in any attack and is represented in the BAB. Mastery of hitting must entail something more than an ever faster swing speed.
Oh yeah, one of Drizz't Do'urden's key moves is feinting, but none of the classes he has have bluff as a class skill. The fact that it's a standard action, and that a foe has a choice between BAB+wis or sense motive for their check makes it one of the worst things about 3.5

AlhazTheRed
2011-05-04, 06:02 PM
I wish the rules made it impossible for PCs to munchkin, min-max, or metagame.

Asking the impossible, I know.

JaronK
2011-05-04, 06:11 PM
Metagaming is good. Metagaming is what you're doing when you decide to make a character that actually fits with the story instead of a watchmaker who doesn't want to go adventuring. Metagaming is what you do when you decide that instead of making an overpowered Wizard, you make something that fits with the party. Metagaming is what you do when you decide that you're not going to use the broken trick that could save your character's world simply because it would break the campaign.

As to the others, there are systems that do it. Dresden Files is almost impossible to munchkin or minmax, for example.

JaronK

ArcanistSupreme
2011-05-04, 06:31 PM
Is it possible to create a system that doesn't allow for metagaming? I feel like it would have to be a game with little rules transparency (players don't get to see most of them), and even that would only work with players new to the system. Maybe something with rules that changed at random time intervals?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-05-04, 06:55 PM
Get the Children of the Night ability without being a vampiric (vampire, monstrous vampire, or half-vampire) or ascended.

It's a well-known core Su. In the thousands of non-templated monsters published you'd just freaking one wou

Epsilon Rose
2011-05-04, 06:57 PM
Well, Free form games and Amber (probably most dice-less games, but that's the only one I've read) can be kinda hard to meta-game.

Urpriest
2011-05-04, 07:08 PM
Well, Free form games and Amber (probably most dice-less games, but that's the only one I've read) can be kinda hard to meta-game.

Lots of horror games too, since there are quite a few with the expectation that the players never get to see the rules. Sunset Boulevard.

Anyway, D&D-wise I think the OP isn't looking for mechanical patches (be an effective S&B fighter, for instance, isn't the kind of response being looked for), but rather qualitatively different powers. One thing I would like would be the ability to create monsters as a player. Several monsters (Owlbears come to mind) are supposed to have been created by wizards, but wizards have no way to create them. This saddens me.

Coidzor
2011-05-04, 10:38 PM
Being an undead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgSWR8u-v8)bardic necromancer-leader with backup singers would be nice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qgmdVgN70&feature=related)...

Though this may be a personal failing of mine.

Lots of horror games too, since there are quite a few with the expectation that the players never get to see the rules. Sunset Boulevard.

Kind of a flaw if the system expects you to never be able to enjoy playing the game again if you ever run a game of it though.

No brains
2011-05-04, 10:59 PM
Being an undead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgSWR8u-v8)bardic necromancer-leader with backup singers would be nice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qgmdVgN70&feature=related)...

Though this may be a personal failing of mine.

You can do this as a Dread Necromancer/Bard and have all your undead minions use aid other to ram up your perform check.

Coidzor
2011-05-05, 12:37 AM
^: Doesn't seem to be any way to really combine either without massively derailing one or both of 'em though. Not even Dirgesinger.

...What are powers in prototype? :smallconfused: Some kind of debug mode during the design phase?

druid91
2011-05-05, 12:46 AM
I wish the rules made it impossible for PCs to munchkin, min-max, or metagame.

Asking the impossible, I know.

And where would the fun be in that?

Personally I hate that sort of game, where they only give you the safety scissors because some people can't interact with others.

Milo v3
2011-05-05, 12:50 AM
...What are powers in prototype? :smallconfused: Some kind of debug mode during the design phase?

The game Prototype. Its a great game were you play as Alex Mercer a person who woke up in a morgue with a virus which allows him to manipulate his biomass in a great number of ways (Most gruesome).

Hand_of_Vecna
2011-05-05, 03:48 AM

A Bardic necromancer-leader you say?

Check out my entry in the warchanter iron chef Miryam "The voice from below". I did make a mistake on her missing mind effecting in the description of bardic music and thinking that just awakening the undead to remove mindless and make them subject to morale was suffiecient when she actually needs a level of dirgesinger or the bardic music effects undead feat from libris mortis. She didn't have back up singers but no reason you couldn't put magic mouth on the zombies.

Eldan
2011-05-05, 12:07 PM
Is it possible to create a system that doesn't allow for metagaming? I feel like it would have to be a game with little rules transparency (players don't get to see most of them), and even that would only work with players new to the system. Maybe something with rules that changed at random time intervals?

You might want to have a look at FATE. Dresden Files, as mentioned, is a version of it. Another is Fatescape, which is linked in potatocubed's sig here on the forum and modified to be a bit closer to D&D.
If there's a way to powergame in there, I haven't really found it.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-05, 01:00 PM
I'd like mundane stuff to carry more weight against magic.

By mundane stuff I mean non-magical fire, poisons, starvation, environmental effects, large armies, dehydration, etc.

As is it's kind of hard to adapt anything that's happened in the real world to the game world. Your enemies are fighting a guerrilla war? Circle dance! Water is precious in the desert? Dude, it's a 0-level spell. Your enemies trapped you in a burning building? You don't even *need* magic to get out of that. Foolish mage, my army numbers a million strong? 900 thousand... 750 thousand... 300 thousand... okay, they're dead.

Epsilon Rose
2011-05-05, 01:34 PM

Anyway, D&D-wise I think the OP isn't looking for mechanical patches (be an effective S&B fighter, for instance, isn't the kind of response being looked for), but rather qualitatively different powers. One thing I would like would be the ability to create monsters as a player. Several monsters (Owlbears come to mind) are supposed to have been created by wizards, but wizards have no way to create them. This saddens me.

Adding on to that, I'd like the ability to create decent humanoid undead.
I'm not talking about going and finding a better base creature or adding HD, I'm talking about being able to take a human body raise it and then start monkeying around with it so it has better abilities, and maybe a few class levels.
To that end, a craft undead feat might be nice.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-05, 01:44 PM
I'm not talking about going and finding a better base creature or adding HD, I'm talking about being able to take a human body raise it and then start monkeying around with it so it has better abilities, and maybe a few class levels.

I'm suddenly imagining someone making a golem/undead... or, an undead with golem enhancement.

McSmack
2011-05-05, 02:19 PM
You know, not even wizards can beat wizards. If you cross-cloned Batman and Chuck Norris with the dark and terrible feeling in our hearts that there is indeed a god mocking our lesser existence, you would get a human wizard. With stringent WBL rules.

Damned near choked reading this, No Brains. May I steal it for my sig?

Coidzor
2011-05-05, 02:26 PM
I'm suddenly imagining someone making a golem/undead... or, an undead with golem enhancement.

Well, there's grafts but they only go so far...and I can't recall if that even works for undead. :smallconfused:

Slipperychicken
2011-05-05, 03:12 PM
undead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgSWR8u-v8)bardic necromancer-leader with backup singers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qgmdVgN70&feature=related)

Not that I have much meaningful to contribute to the thread, but I believe you linked to the wrong video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy8kIXA4STs)

[Warning: potentially bad advice ahead]

Play a(n) [Insert Necromancy Class/Build Here], get (undead)leadership/minions, ranks in perform skills, give them ranks too. If your DM wont start them off with perform skills, train them yourself or have them use Aid Another on you for hilariously large bonuses. If by "bardic" you meant "has levels in Bard" or "Has Bardic Music ability", you could probably make that work too.

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 04:09 PM
Be a Kung-Fu master who can drop monsters in one punch, run up walls, and just be the awesomesauce hero of my own Hong Kong Martial Arts flick

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-05, 04:15 PM
Be a Kung-Fu master who can drop monsters in one punch, run up walls, and just be the awesomesauce hero of my own Hong Kong Martial Arts flick

So... an unarmed swordsage? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, this monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122) can pretty much do that.

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 04:25 PM
So... an unarmed swordsage? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, this monk fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122) can pretty much do that.

I like this fix, minus I want to give monk a full BAB

Coidzor
2011-05-11, 10:26 PM

Oh. I just realized something. Frank and K actually came up with something a little bit like that in their Tome of Necromancy, (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527634/Tome_of_Necromancy) in the form of their [Necromantic] feats.

...This has managed to get into my brain so deeply, possibly as a result of the fever I've been running, that I've been investigating whether anyone has come up with homebrew expanding upon this idea.

Milo v3
2011-05-11, 10:52 PM
Oh. I just realized something. Frank and K actually came up with something a little bit like that in their Tome of Necromancy, (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527634/Tome_of_Necromancy) in the form of their [Necromantic] feats.

...This has managed to get into my brain so deeply, possibly as a result of the fever I've been running, that I've been investigating whether anyone has come up with homebrew expanding upon this idea.

I'll start up a thread for Both "Necromantic" feats and "Fiendish" Feats tommorrow.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-05-11, 11:06 PM
I'd also like more fey creatures, but that's not something the characters do.

Depends on the campaign - some Seelie Court intrigues can get, ummm, intriguing.

As to what I'd like to do by the rules:

I'd like to play a Fochlucan Lyrist that isn't a complete nerf on the Druid side
I'd like to play monsters and interesting races without completely nerfing my character or breaking the game
I'd like to play a Bard which is on par with the Druid

Rhakiath
2011-05-11, 11:09 PM
Drunken Master, bar none.

More seriously, golf. I'd be a ranger with favored enemy: round white ball. If I could score a hole in one every crit, especially with a keen club or improved critical, I'd break records.

DracoDei
2011-07-03, 12:22 PM
For a long time I've wanted to build a character who specializes in improvised weapons and fighting in unusual circumstances (somewhat like most Jackie Chan characters). There's a damage table for improvised weapons at the end of Complete Warrior and there's the (rather awful) Throw Anything feat and a few skill tricks that might work with this idea, but I haven't seen any classes/builds/etc that would make this kind of character shine and not just fall flat as an even worse fighter type.

Fool's Grip Discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67879)
EDIT: the above might not solve all the problems, but it is a very solid start if you are OK with ToB.

Similarly I shall recommend Steel Mountain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7473262#post7473262). There might be one or two other homebrew disciplines that touch on shields (and I know Devoted Spirit has one or two maneuvers).

QuidEst
2011-07-03, 12:38 PM
I'd like better non-racial options for explosives and the possibility for full competence when working with poisons. I'd also like to be able to have a Bard with the right flavor pull off an intimidate check with perform(Acting) or perform(Oratory).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-03, 07:39 PM
Similarly I shall recommend Steel Mountain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7473262#post7473262). There might be one or two other homebrew disciplines that touch on shields (and I know Devoted Spirit has one or two maneuvers).

Iron Tortoise (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160377).

DracoDei
2011-07-03, 07:47 PM
Iron Tortoise (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160377).
That too. There is a surprising amount of duplication in the homebrew forums. Which is part of the reason why I am frequently encouraging people to Google first. That way they can avoid the mistakes of the past, while ALSO making sure they are doing something different enough to be worth it.
Note that I am NOT saying one way or another about those two disciplines. I haven't looked them over closely enough to say.

Kantolin
2011-07-03, 08:01 PM
*Grumble* Have my half-orc, as a half-orc, be able to use swallow whole.

I technically was allowed to take it as a feat on my old psychic warrior, but never actually was given an opportunity to use it, and most DMs give me a very confused :smallconfused: look whenever I ask for it.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-03, 08:37 PM
*Grumble* Have my half-orc, as a half-orc, be able to use swallow whole.

I technically was allowed to take it as a feat on my old psychic warrior, but never actually was given an opportunity to use it, and most DMs give me a very confused :smallconfused: look whenever I ask for it.

Why should a half-orc or orc be able to use swallow whole? :smallconfused:

Curious
2011-07-03, 08:57 PM
Why should a half-orc or orc be able to use swallow whole? :smallconfused:

Because it would be awesome to swallow the annoying Kender whole?

Kantolin
2011-07-03, 08:59 PM
Curious has it! Although it can be shortened slightly to:

Because it would be awsome

With the same effect. ^_^

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-03, 09:30 PM
Curious has it! Although it can be shortened slightly to:

With the same effect. ^_^

How would they swallow them whole?

kardar233
2011-07-03, 09:43 PM

My answer to everything: Warshaper.

Kantolin
2011-07-03, 09:48 PM

If you mean mechanically, the way I worked it out is that you go from grapple -> Pin -> Swallow whole.

If you mean thematically, uh...
Magically?
Psionically?
Shadowcastically?
Binderically?
Divinically?
Devotion to a god of gluttony?
Former devotion to a god of gluttony?
A bizzare intrinsic knack of this clan?
A technical curse from a demon of gluttony?
Inheritance of a curse?
Awesomely?

DracoDei
2011-07-03, 10:03 PM
If you mean mechanically, the way I worked it out is that you go from grapple -> Pin -> Swallow whole.

If you mean thematically, uh...
Magically?
Psionically?
Shadowcastically?
Binderically?
Divinically?
Devotion to a god of gluttony?
Former devotion to a god of gluttony?
A bizzare intrinsic knack of this clan?
A technical curse from a demon of gluttony?
Inheritance of a curse?
Awesomely?
Well, if you are willing to use CLASS features... I thought you wanted it as a RACIAL ability...
Might I present to you the Maw Shaman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60689) and the Bulpsi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124809). Both are PrCs. Granted the Bulpsi doesn't get swallow whole until 10th level, but...

Giant in the Playground: There's a Homebrew for that (and often more than one!).

Ezekiul
2011-07-03, 10:40 PM
I'd like more on things like bull rush, throwing, tripping, and grappling fighting styles.

edit: that wasnt cheezy or broken :smallbiggrin:

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-03, 10:42 PM
I want to play an awakened Dire sloth more than anything else: http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/ToHDire.pdf it's on page 11.

Combat Reflexes
2011-07-04, 06:51 AM
I would like to see more rules for morale, maybe even Courage or Leadership tests :smallbiggrin:

If you kill the leader of, for example, a street gang, the remaining guys more or less lose their will to fight and should get morale penalties.
If you kill someone's father or something, they'll get very, very angry and should get morale bonuses.
An army should get morale bonuses for bringing the national flag to the battlefield, and morale penalties when it gets captured by the enemy.

I'd like more on things like bull rush, throwing, tripping, and grappling fighting styles.

+1.
By the way, ever heard of the Mighty Throw maneuver set? It's in ToB.

Grendus
2011-07-04, 08:32 AM

edit: that wasnt cheezy or broken :smallbiggrin:

ToB would like to have a word. Not much for grappling (but let's face it, 3.5's grappling system is borked anyways - too complicated and yet it still doesn't mimic real grappling hand to hand combat anywhere near well enough), but there are maneuvers for throwing, tripping, disarming, and bull rushing, and most of them do damage and grant some nice bonuses.

Also, try something like a Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/War Mind 10/X 4. Your bull rush does some serious damage if you can slam enemies into the wall, and War Mind lets you learn Psychic Warrior powers, like the awesome Expansion.

I'd like the ability to be a competent healer without being relegated to the healbot role or having to play a cleric. That was always one of my biggest peeves in 3.5, many of the required curing spells are cleric only. The only other classes that get them are Archivist (just as broken) and Healer (just as broken, in the opposite direction). Kind of frustrating.