PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Eberron Treasure Hunt [IC]

sazzer
2011-05-02, 07:55 AM
Whilst not common knowledge, rumour has it that Merrix d'Cannith is up to something. Word on the street to those in the business is that he is collecting Dragonshards, information about Dragonshards and anything else that is connected to them in some way, and that there is a rich reward for anyone who can supply these to him. What's more, apparently he is especially interested in the rare Khyber Dragonshards. Nobody knows why he wants any of this, or what he intends to do with it, but gossip and speculation has people believing he it trying to get back at Jorlanna d'Cannith for some internal family feud, or that he is collecting them under threat from some unknown third party, or that he simply is collecting them as a new hobby. Whatever the truth is, everyone knows that there is rich reward for collecting and delivering these artifacts.

Who are you, Where are you and what are you doing? If you happen to already be together then so much the better ;)

Wiz
2011-05-02, 08:48 AM
Diedre Smyth (as she has called herself since her removal from d'Cannith) considers the rumor she has just heard with some interest. Sitting in an outdoor cafe she glances around to see if she can catch sight of Ingot... not that he is hard to miss. She was hoping he got the message to meet her here and that he might be interested in an expedition to gather some Khyber shards. Ingot was a good 'forged to have in a fight, and he'd told her before that he was friends with a wizardly type who had made some of his other gear. If Merrix was truly interested in Khyber shards, then the prospects of a large quantity of them might make him reverse the decision to drop her from the house. She picks at her spiced pork and orange peppers, enjoying the burn while she waits.

Obrysii
2011-05-02, 09:03 AM
"Balance spring's off," Rasbar Arum mumbled to himself, making several small adjustments on his primary puppet, which looked like a Large, dead warforged in the corner of the cafe's outer area; he looked up, bearded and with a faint look of insanity on his face, before returning.

"Damn balance springs," he mumbled, a twinging noise coming from it - and finally he stood back, sighing, turning and sitting at a nearby table, his two Medium-sized puppets standing guard around him, greatswords strapped to their backs, as if he were some major being of import.

"Coffee, please. Hot. A bit of spice," he said, glancing over to Diedre, "Ah - hello. Didn't see you - Telos malfunctioning again."

OMG PONIES
2011-05-02, 10:30 AM
At a nearby table, a wizened old elf has his nose buried in a massive book. His piercing, purple eyes scan the scene over the top of his tome, but he soon returns to his reading. Where is that bucket of bolts?[ he mutters to himself, checking the position of the sun and doing a few mental calculations to approximate the current time. In all the years they had known each other, it wasn’t like Ingot to be late for a meeting.

Reglas sighs. The paranoia was clearly getting to him again, as his hands shake while holding the book. The old wizard pulled his stained robes in around him, hunching over his tea. He inhales the steam coming off the top for warmth and tries to tell himself he has nothing to fear. Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out a tiny vial and tips a drop into his tea. A little medicine to take the edge off, he thinks to himself, just what the doctor ordered. He settles back into his seat, letting his robes hang idly as he dives into the text once more.

niw18
2011-05-02, 02:46 PM
brutus had just arrived in town being an older model and fact he has medals of war etched into his form only made him even more of an attention piece. The large warforged that was ogre and ape like and was the oldest of warforged charger being he is model 01 and one of few still alive. Brutus would walk into the town and go to speak to the town guard as he heard rumor that corporal in charge of his unit after war had become captain of the guards in this town.

He knew if there was anyone that can reveal truthiness to the rumor it might be the corporal that and he might know where to find this Merrix d'Cannith person. He would then walk their to find him and then gave him a salute out of habit to the human "it has been a long time no see corporal Orien" he would look to him as he almost did not recognized him if it was not for the mark he got during one of their counter charges. Brutus found it odd how humans body change so quickly with time.

sazzer
2011-05-03, 06:28 AM
Brutus

Ho there! It has been a long time indeed. You know, there's another of you huge warforged in town too - I noticed earlier on today. Something going on?

Wiz
2011-05-03, 05:10 PM
Diedre nods to Rasbar, "Is Telos the name of the 'forged? Or is that a component related to the balance springs? I only ask because it's not a term I've heard in relation to artificery... it seems familiar though... does it translate as meaning or purpose?" She glances around, nervously, perhaps she's waiting for someone, or maybe she's just a little twitchy.

Obrysii
2011-05-04, 10:52 AM
"Telos is the name of this weapon," the gnome said, his voice quick - as if his mind was faster than his mouth, "Purpose, yeah - yeah, it is the name I shall craft for the lord of constructs, hm."

As the coffee was delivered, he sipped it, "Used Telos in the war. His blade tasted much blood - but that's over now."

He looked into his drink, "Over now - new purpose to have now. Seeking adventure - greater knowledge..."

niw18
2011-05-04, 02:15 PM
He heard his former corporals words and thought about his words for a few and shurged at them "there is that is odd I have not seen one of my make in a very long time and it most likely adventures here about the rumors involving this Merrix d'Cannith person. So do you have any information for old friend on this person and good place get dragon shards" he look to his friend and wait as this might be a lot to take in.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-04, 03:00 PM
Reglas raises an eyebrow at the tinkerer's disposition. With a sigh, the old elf closes his dusty tome and stands from his seat. He shuffles toward the outdoor table nearest which the gnome is working, and introduces himself:

"Reglas P Ignelia," he says with a slight bow, "master arcanist, professional librarian, studied physician, hobbyist herbalist, and fledgling chef. I've noticed you seem a bit...on edge, shall we say? Try this," he says, deftly plucking a vial from his robe. "Add a splash to any beverage for a bit of serenity. Add any more, and I'm afraid you'll be swimming for days." He proffers the vial.

sazzer
2011-05-04, 03:10 PM
Brutus

This Merrix d'Cannith person? You jest, surely? You of all people must know who Merrix is! As for the dragonshards, don't tell me you take any stock in the rumours of what he's up to?

Wiz
2011-05-04, 07:25 PM
Diedre smiles as Merrix is mentioned, she speaks a little louder, addressing the group of people sitting at the cafe', "I'd actually hoped to meet a friend here and discuss the prospect of gathering Khyber shards... even if the Baron didn't want them especially, they still would be valuable... and if he is hoarding them, even more so."

niw18
2011-05-05, 12:55 AM
He would nod as it had slipped from his mind as he had done many things as it had been over thirty-eight years since he came into sentience. He would look to him "It been a few years and I have been in many places. I don’t but it is something to do after war I took my rights and became an adventurer and this is nothing but another adventure in my eyes" he would state to his former unit leader.

sazzer
2011-05-05, 06:21 AM
Brutus

Well, can't say it appeals to me. Those things are downright dangerous, what I hear... Wouldn't have the first clue where you'd find 'em though...

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-05, 11:38 AM
What place is this anyway? I think we only know it's a tavern or café of some sort...

Markus had been drawn to the town by the rumors of someone seeking Dragonshards, possibly hiring adventurers for the task. The little halfling that something as valuable as Dragonshards is never found alone, but rather along with heaps of other valuable items, and the value of the Shards themselves isn't exactly negligible, either. So, he tracked the rumors down to this location: not this specific coffee shop, of course, but rather this general area or town. The café just seemed like a good place to start,so he walked in through the door, as quietly as it is possible to do without looking weird. He quickly closed the door after himself and stepped in to the side, leaning on the wall right next to the door and scanning the room with his magic-detecting left eye. He had lost the eye to an angry victim of his... questionable banking business many years ago, but managed to turn the loss into profit by replacing it with a prosthete that worked even better than the real thing.

Obrysii
2011-05-05, 12:36 PM
"Always on edge - world's too slow," he said simply, though he took the vial, added a drop to his coffee, and sipped it; whether it had an actual biochemical response didn't matter - he reacted with a psychosomatic wave that induced a calmness.

The world, he felt, was much too peaceful. He had been in the thick of the Last War - the worst of it. He bore the mental scars.

"Mm, nice. Will keep this vial," he said simply, before turning his attention to the situation at hand.

"You have my hand, if it means no more idleness," he added after a few minutes.

sazzer
2011-05-06, 04:19 AM
Brutus

If anyone would know about these dragonshards your so interested in, you could try Everbright or else Morgrave University over in Menthis. Come to think of it, that other 'forged was down that way earlier too, heading towards Cassan... Think he's on the same fools errand as you seem to be?

Menthis Plateau is a ward in south-central Sharn. Everbright is the Magic district of Middle Menthis, catering more towards practical needs than most found in Central, and Cassan Bridge is a retail district also in Middle Menthis which is [now] where the Cafe that the others are in is situated...

Markus

You scan the patronage of the cafe to see whats around. Most people seem to be just enjoying their lunch, chatting to friends or relaxing. There are a fair few magical auras that you can detect in the area, from a fair few tables in the cafe but nothing you can specifically make out. Most obviously was the auras from a table over in the corner where there were three people chatting, one of which was idly tinkering with what looked at first glance to be one of the warforged.

niw18
2011-05-06, 04:59 AM
Brutus would nod "so they are I from what the rumors say of them. If you cannot help me do you know of a place that would allow me to get more information" he would ask his old corporal leader hoping he could help as this little side trip did not help at all. He knew it was a long shoot but it seemed the corporal had mellowed with old age. he then heard rest of his words and nods in thanks before leaving and making his way towards the cafe as fast as he can in hopes to get that information that he needs.

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-06, 06:31 AM
Markus finds the glow in the corner quite promising, approaching the people with a cheerful fake smile.
"Greetings, good people, might you know anything about Dragonshards, or to be more precise, the kind Merrix d'Cannith is said to be seeking?" he says with an exceptionally friendly and charming voice.

Wiz
2011-05-06, 07:35 AM
Diedre looks up, starting a little at Markus' approach. She blinks, "Oh... interesting... I thought to meet with a friend to discuss the idea of getting some of those shards and it seems everyone in the immediate vicinity is interested." She pauses, looking around, "I planned to do some research on said shards, and follow up the rumor that the Baron was interested them, and then get together a team for the purpose of acquiring them to sell to him."

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-06, 07:57 AM
"Well, how convenient indeed", Markus said, bowing politely towards everyone around the table. He was successfully hiding a grin, as he was quickly approaching his goal. "I too have interest in finding them. Might you perhaps allow me to join you on your voyage, good sir?"

OMG PONIES
2011-05-06, 09:53 AM
Reglas raises a finger at Markus' mention of dragonshards. "Reglas P Ignelia," he says with a slight bow, "master arcanist, professional librarian, studied physician, hobbyist herbalist, and fledgling chef. Do you seek information about dragonshards in general, or more specifically about Eberron, Siberys..." he glances around before continuing, then raises a hand to one side of his mouth, as if sharing a secret, "...or Khyber shards?" He stares sharply at Markus through a rusty, dusty monocle.

[roll0]

@sazzer
Let me know if any other type of Knowledge check or Lore would be more appropriate.

Also, I forgot to list my all-day buffs; Markus detecting magic reminds me:
Mage Armor (x2 gives me 16 hours)
Protection from Arrows (x2 gives me 16 hours)
Anticipate Teleport (24-hour duration, 40 ft radius)
Create Magic Tattoo (24-hour duration, +2 resistance to all saves)
Divine Insight (x2 gives me 16 hours or until discharged)
Extended Magic Vestment via Rod (16 hours)
Pierce Illusions: Free Will save (1d20+17) vs. any illusion Reglas sees.
Sheet has been updated to reflect the above.

Obrysii
2011-05-06, 10:09 AM
"I have many names," the gnome said, smiling gently with dark eyes, "But I am the Construct Assassin, the Puppet Master - Rasbar Arum! Yes, yes - settle down. My old ways are the old ways of war, and I am now just an adventurer and trinket-master."

For the one using detect magic, if they focused upon him - they would notice multiple strings of magic emanating from his heart, going out to strike the three 'warforged' around him. The two standing beside his chair, and the big one leaning against a wall - the strings of magic seemingly animating them.

He sighed, sipped his calming coffee, and realized the oxymoron of that combination, "I am willing to go on any adventure. Especially one that breaks stagnation."

sazzer
2011-05-06, 03:29 PM
Reglas

Nobody knows for certain, but it is strongly believed that Dragonshards are actually small portions of the three Dragons of Creation - Siberys, Eberron and Khyber who created the Overworld, the World and the Underworld. There are three different types of Dragonshard currently known, each named for one of the Dragons.

Siberys Dragonshards fall from the heavens - originating in what is known as the Ring of Siberys, which is a ring made up of Dragonshards that orbit the world - and have a golden hue to them. When they fall, they almost always fall around the equator of the world, between Khorvaire and Xen'Drik. As such they are very difficult to find in the world.

Eberron Dragonshards are generally found randomly in the soil of the world itself, and whilst rare can be found almost anywhere. These Dragonshards have a pinkish-red hue to them.

Khyber Dragonshards are exclusively found in the Underdark below the world of Eberron. These are much more common than the Siberys and Eberron Dragonshards, but finding them is much more dangerous due to the various denzions of the underdark. These Dragonshards have a black or dark blue hue to them.

Dragonshards are typically used in the construction of magical artifacts, but are also useful for enhancing Dragonmark powers, and in certain magical rituals. The different kinds of Dragonshard have different areas of magic that they are most attuined to - Siberys to Dragonmark Abilities, Eberron to Magic Item creation and Khyber to Binding magics.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-06, 04:22 PM
Reglas begins feverishly leafing through the huge tome that hasn't left his grip in years, flicking through the pages with familiarity. "Now, Dragonshards...D. d'Cannith, Daanvi, Day of Mourning, Dolurrh, Draconic Prophecy, Dragonmarks...aha! Dragonshards! Formed from the very Dragons of Creation themselves..." Reglas begins to spout out facts, theories, and conjectures about dragonmarks.

OOC: For those in the café, feel free to read my spoiler (above).

niw18
2011-05-06, 09:09 PM
The large ape like orge construct would slow down, look at the cafe, go on two legs instead of four, walk into the cafe, and look around. Brutus would notice the man with the miniature warforged and slowly approached him "greetings would you have any clues on the search of dragon shards the baron seeks" he would ask as he looked to the miniature warforged. Gooruth noticed that it seemed well built through they did not seem to have the ability of being sentient as warforged as his race is.

Obrysii
2011-05-06, 10:30 PM
Rasbar jumped forward, his two puppets stepping in a march at his sides, mechanical hands reaching back for the scythes in their position, but not drawing them.

"You're a - " he said to the ape-like being, "Haven't seen your kind in a long time. You must be a lucky fellow to make it this far."

"It seems we all are seeking the same - be it for adventure or for profit," he said. That calming agent sure did work! "So, come, get a coffee, and share with us what you know."

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-08, 04:45 AM
Just came back from a hiking trip :D
Nice to meet you all. My name is Markus Moonshine, spellslinger extraordinaire. Any Dragonshards will do, whatever suits you." Markus sits down and shouts over to the counter, asking for one bottle of red wine.

If any of you is able to see invisible creatures:
A grayish-green feathered raven sits on a windowsill behind Markus, listening eagerly to the conversation.

Wiz
2011-05-08, 07:33 AM
Diedre is listening to the flow of conversation around her, but not yet responding... she still seems a little twitchy as though waiting for someone. She glances around occasionally.

niw18
2011-05-08, 03:44 PM
Brutus would watch the man jump back and his little constructs prepare to defend their masters. He would only look as if not fazed by the man’s reaction as if he had seen it many times before.

He would look to the man as he spoke to him and thought for a few seconds before replying to him "I know there are very few of my warforged charger brethren left out there. I think some luck but I think it has a lot to do with having a very good talented Calvary unit."

He would here man speak once again and nod "yes it does seem we have the same interest." he would look to the man "there is no need I do not need to drink or eat and I have learned very little to what we already know from the rumors, as my corporal that once in charge of the unit I was part of had nothing new to provide. During the last war did they not make a few special warforged soldiers that had some embedded into them" he would as the man as he was trying to remember and maybe get a clue from the past.

sazzer
2011-05-10, 06:42 AM
As you're sat in the cafe talking, you become aware of raised voices from across the street outside.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-10, 06:55 AM
Reglas cups a hand over his ear. "What's this, then?" he croaks, "does anybody else hear that ballyhoo?"

Wiz
2011-05-10, 07:23 AM
Diedre rises and steps to the door, looking out toward the source of the noise.

sazzer
2011-05-10, 07:40 AM
You see two men in a heated argument across the street. You can't make out the words too clearly but you hear something about dragonshards being mentioned. After a couple of seconds you notice one of the men reaching into his jacket for something...

Obrysii
2011-05-10, 08:53 AM
Reacting with war-weary instincts, Rasbar moves to his feet, swinging a hand forward to launch one of his medium puppets into a run.

"Halt!" the puppet cried - Rasbar's voice coming from it - "Place hands where I can see them!"

Initiative (if applicable): [roll0]

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-10, 09:39 AM
Markus in interested in the squabble, but doesn't feel threatened at all or think that he would need to intervene. Oh dear, what is this foolish racket? And why isn't my wine here yet? Markus complains, looking over his shoulder at the counter. As the little crafter jumps up, Markus reattaches his attention to the situation. It seems like it's going to get a little more interesting.

sazzer
2011-05-10, 10:22 AM
Hearing the puppet shout as it runs towards them, the men both just stop shouting at each other and stare at it in shock, neither moving from where they are in the slightest...

Obrysii
2011-05-10, 10:53 AM
Rasbar's eyes were closed and he seemed to be whispering to himself, though in reality he was seeing through the puppet's eye-analogs, and speaking through the puppet's pseudo-mouth.

"Explain exactly what the issue is," the puppet commanded forcefully.

sazzer
2011-05-10, 11:29 AM
The shorter man, the one with his arm in his jacket still, responds Ravil here hired me to do some ... work ... for him, but it turns out I'm not able to complete it in the time he all of a sudden wants it in...

All of a sudden? You promised you'd deliver by the end of this week and now you're telling me you can't for another month! This is already the third time you've delayed things!

Well, these things aren't as easy as you seem to think! If you weren't so lame-brained you'd not need to hire someone to collect them for you!

And the men start shouting at each other anew...

Obrysii
2011-05-10, 11:45 AM
The puppet hunched its shoulders forward, as if in exasperation, and Rasbar tried to determine what exactly the motives of these two were.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

sazzer
2011-05-10, 12:52 PM
Rasbar

The shorter man is hiding something, but you're not sure what. The taller man is just angry.

niw18
2011-05-11, 12:34 PM
Brutus attention was right away caught by the two humans that where fighting outside of the cafe and would watch for a second before slowly making his way towards them. He did not really need a reason to fight but this fight might bare clues to the rumors of the dragonshard if not give him some entertainment for the day. Brutus would walk out of the café and walk towards the two humans that where fighting and look to them “what’s this fighting all about are do I have to get physical and pound it out of you two’ he would state to them as warforged was not very charismatic and right to the point.

intimidate
[roll0]

sazzer
2011-05-11, 02:42 PM
The men are arguing so intently they don't notice Brutus until his voice bellows out, at which point the both stop shouting. He owes me! Either deliver or give me my gold back! Thief!

I'm working on it! These things aren't easy to come by, as you know or else you wouldn't need to pay other people to do your work for you!

Wiz
2011-05-11, 10:55 PM
Diedre continues to watch as her cafe' companions interact with the arguing strangers... she's starting to wonder if they're arguing about what she thinks they are arguing about.

Obrysii
2011-05-15, 11:10 AM
"Just what, precisely, are you searching for? I happen to be part of a group of adventures - more than likely, we might be able to help you out," the puppet told the two men - still standing between them, mechanical arm on the scythe.

sazzer
2011-05-15, 03:27 PM
He assured me he could deliver dragonshards. Guaranteed it!

I said no such thing! I said I might be able to find some. Might!

Yea, but you insisted on payment up front, and you've not delivered. That makes you a thief in my book!

niw18
2011-05-16, 11:36 AM
Brute would just stand their as the two men bicker back and forth about something. He had noticed the puppet walk to them and speak and glanced towards the cafe then quickly back to the two men when dragonshards where mentioned by one of them.

TekHed
2011-05-19, 07:49 PM
Curses, but it was difficult to pull away from research. The bejeweled petals of the crystalanthum mortis flower glistened innocently, seductively, under the magnifying lens in the botanical laboratory. All too deceptive, as any fleshly being seeking greedily to pluck it from it's roots would be instantly mineralized to provide nourishment for the rare Xen'drikian species.

Fortunately, this particular naturalist was not made of flesh. Ingot careful squeezed the dropper into the tincture bottle, drawing in a small yet precise quantity of the reagent he was testing, the aqua orbis of a medusa's eyes. He was just about to apply his sample when it suddenly struck him that he was late for an expedition meeting...Deidre was going to chastise him for being absent minded again. Oh well...he always had the excuse of being inoperative for millennia, and that always seemed to buy him leniency, as well as begging requests for a firsthand accounting of events from ages now long past.

Come, Drinyx, we are late. The draconic beast curled up at his feet yawned lazily, but nonetheless obediently rose to all fours and stretched out before padding along behind, razor claws clacking upon the marbled floors of the Margrave University Naturalism wing.

The commotion in the cafe district was momentarily suppressed by the arrival of one of the Menthis Plateau's most eccentric and unique residents. The ancient ancestor of the modern marvel of the Warforged scarcely bore resemblance to his contemporary composite-bodied cousins. For starters, neither wood, nor stone was used in it's construction, Rather it's form was a series of neatly and ingeniously interlocking and overlapping plates of Adamantium, finished in an alchemicaly applied outer coating of gleaming golden orichalcum. The faceplate was perhaps the most surprising, for it had not been forged in the blank, barely-human hewn features common to Cannith's creations, but in the shape of a perfectly sculpted, almost cherubic visage of an elf, albeit a metalic golden one. Orbs of deeply sanguine liquid comprised it's eyes, hinting at it's true nature, and it accentuated this striking feature with a blood-red cloak that wrapped around it's body, concealing some of the more ornate filigree engravings upon it's person. Growling menacingly at it's side was an equally exotic specimen, likewise recovered from the jungle ruins of the southern continent. Slinking along on all fours in the manner of a great cat, it's draconic heritage was obvious with it's golden scales, sweeping horns, and beaked, fanged jaws.

Perhaps, when funding an expedition in the future, one would be wise to insist upon collateral before relinquishing monies toward an uncertain end... spake the golden dragonforged. The voice was equally distinct from his domestic descendants, having a hollow yet melodious, almost musical timbre.

Now...are you going to resolve your dispute in a fair and just manner as befitting the civil mores of our metropolis or will I be forced to summon the Gendarmes to haul you both away for questioning and disturbance of the peace?

Ta-da!

I only just now decided upon his color and appearance. :smallsmile:

Wiz
2011-05-19, 09:06 PM
Diedre brightens and steps out of the cafe, "Ingot... you finally got here!" She smiles, stepping forward toward the elaborate 'forged. She nods to the draconic beast, "Hi, Drinyx!"

Obrysii
2011-05-20, 08:30 AM
The puppet shifted slightly, in an almost humanistic way, towards the new Warforged; this one was unique - a power that seemed almost too old to be real - and as a puppet master, Rasbar was determined to learn the secrets of its creation.

"Dragonshards?" the puppet asked, "Just where would you have gotten them anyway?"

sazzer
2011-05-20, 08:54 AM
Seeing the dragonforged and hearing his suggestion, I... Yes, I was going to return the money paid to me since I can't fulfill my side of the agreement and then in response to the puppet, I... acquired... a map that showed where there were some to be found out east of Wroat.

niw18
2011-05-20, 10:50 AM
He would notice his warforged brethren and shrug and look to the others as he spoke to them and watched he differently built possible to allow different abilities he does not have. He would listen as it seemed his brethren has it handled and would stay close in case more so when the man mentioned a map which would be very handy to get dragonshards.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-20, 02:43 PM
Reglas waddles up to join the cacaphony, his face wrinkled in protest at the menagerie of loud sounds assaulting him. "Hush now, children," he grumbles, always the libarian. "What's the fuss now? It seems straightforward enough. This man took your money, but found no dragonshards. He's willing to give you back your funds, so where's the squabble?"

Detect Evil on both of them. Heck, on everyone, just for kicks. Also, Reglas gets free Will saves against every illusion he sees, thanks to Pierce Illusions.
Reglas waits to hear what the bickering merchants have to say, then adds: "Also, though it may be useless, would you be willing to donate the map to Morgrave University? I've recently begun an expansive collection for the new Cartography wing of our library."

[roll0]

Yeah, that's bunk. Reglas wants to give a crack at the map himself.

sazzer
2011-05-20, 03:06 PM
I paid good money for this! I can't go around donating things like that, but if you want to buy it off me I'll sell it at cost. Only 100... then glancing at the Dragonforged again Erm that is, 10 gold and it's yours

Big scary Dragonforged - he's not too keen on upsetting Ingot...

Neither of the two are Evil

OMG PONIES
2011-05-20, 03:10 PM
Reglas scoffs. "Hmph, some supporter of higher education. Everyone wants to fill their coffers rather than their craniums. Still, it'll be good to add to the collection. 10 gold is a fair price." He fetches a velvet coinpouch from deep within his robes, pulls out the proper amount, and hands it to the man.

sazzer
2011-05-20, 03:21 PM
You're so-called higher education won't feed my family anywhere near as well as this gold will though... the man says. He then proceeds to pull out of his jacket a piece of parchment which he hands over, a small pouch which he begrudgingly hands to the other man before pocketing the 10 gold and hurrying away, in the opposite direction from where Ingot is standing...

Looking at the parchment you were given, there is a crude drawing on it showing the source of a river and the base of some hills or mountains. On the western edge of the map is an arrow labelled Wroat, and on the southern edge is one labelled Reven. There are a number of crosses on the map drawn in with a different style to the rest of the map, dotted along the river and going up into the hills, getting denser as they go off the eastern edge of the parchment.

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-21, 12:55 AM
Markus has been watching the situation, now becoming interested in the map and walking aside Ingot to look at it. Oh dear, this is quite crudely made. Not worth even 10 gold, if you ask me. I think the crosses are supposed to mark possible shard locations, though I'm not sure.

Obrysii
2011-05-21, 08:22 AM
"It is a start," the puppet said, turning around to head back to its master - coming to a stop to stand on-guard at his side as he finished his coffee.

Rasbar breathed in slowly, "So. We have our potential source location. Shall we shore up some transport?"

Wiz
2011-05-21, 09:32 AM
Diedre turns with Ingot to walk back toward the cafe, used to the fact that being so ancient, he sometimes takes a good long time to respond to questions. Not that his thinking was slow... not by any means... simply that he never spoke in haste. One of the many things she admired about him.

TekHed
2011-05-21, 06:22 PM
The golden Phynxkin gives an ornery growl, but nonetheless nuzzles into Diedre's hand.

Seeing that the situation seemed to have resolved itself and the cafe patrons returning to their own business...albeit with many surreptitious sidelong glances at the eccentric assemblage of adventurers...Ingot paces his colleagues back to their table.

"I lost track of time while performing experiments. Hazzard of the job, I'm afraid. It is good to see you Diedre. And you as well Reglas. I have not forgotten the upgrades you assisted me with prior to my last expedition...they served me well indeed. Speaking of, you mentioned wanting to put a team together. Tell me, what did you have in mind?"

Wiz
2011-05-21, 08:51 PM
Diedre nods, "Well, I was thinking Khyber shards. Word on the street is that Baron Merrix d'Cannith is trying to corner the market on them... some new use he has for them. I figured that whether it was true or not, the price would go up quite a bit, so while the rumor mill is grinding, we might be able to name our own price. And... if the rumors are true, then I might be able to get him thinking more positively about me and my situation." She scratches the Phynxkin in it's favorite spots as she walks along. "As far as the upgrade, I'm glad it worked out. It was pure pleasure for me to get my hands on your components."

TekHed
2011-05-21, 11:47 PM
"Khyber is something of a specialty of mine. Any thoughts on what he wants them for? "

Wiz
2011-05-22, 12:25 AM
Diedre shrugs, "I've no idea, personally... they aren't a particular study of mine. The gossip may be true, but then again... it could be tower spit. My idea was secure them, and if he didn't want them, the rumors still might make them worth more than usual." She smiles, "The Beggar Dane says, 'Let the wealthy fight over their fashions, it makes the work of the poor seamstress lighter.'"

Obrysii
2011-05-22, 08:25 AM
"I am personally interested," Rasbar said, "in their usage as a power source. Regular dragonshards, such as you find in wands, burn out much too quickly."

He smiled deviously. He imagined an army of puppets marching on their own power . . . he shook this from him, "And I'm bored. Yeah. Not much to do here. The map - we should get moving. Good day for it."

He considered the calming drought within the vial he pocketed.

OMG PONIES
2011-05-22, 10:55 AM
Reglas ignores the conversations buzzing around him like insects, entrenched in studying the map. "Hmph," he says aloud (yet entirely to himself). "I suppose that I could simply teleport us there..." The old elf lets the thought linger in the air, and returns to his reading.

niw18
2011-05-24, 12:28 PM
He would just walk away as it seemed the other warforged has it under control. The man that controlled mini warforged seems into a map which he hoped was right and will help us get dragonshards. He would go and sit at the cafe and watch and wait as he had a very long time to do so.

Obrysii
2011-05-25, 09:08 AM
With contemplations of teleportation, Rasbar moved back to his large puppet, and frowned.

He produced three scrolls, and laid them out. Beginning to transcribe into them, he touched his palm to a square and then to the large puppet - it seemed to be sucked into the scroll!

He repeated the same for his two 'guards', curled the scrolls and placed them into a water-tight container attached to his belt.

"I am ready for any teleportations," he said. "I doubt my defense-type will waste much space."

OMG PONIES
2011-05-25, 02:19 PM
Reglas raises an eyebrow as he looks around at the others and extends his hands outwards. "So," he asks, "any more hemming and hawing, or shall we set out?"

OOC: Assuming no other actions, I cast Teleport for the group to an area of the map that seems safe and near one of the Xes.

Wiz
2011-05-25, 06:40 PM
Diedre nods, "Well, we seem to be a group brought together by chance to possibly work... let's see if we can. I'm Diedre, by the way, this is my friend Ingot."

TekHed
2011-05-28, 06:34 PM
"Greetings." Ingot adds to his introduction. "How do the rest of you know each other?"

Obrysii
2011-05-28, 06:58 PM
Now that they had teleported to a new scene, his war-weariness had grown, and he searched about.

Satisifed they would not need to teleport again, he summoned his Large puppet and two Medium guards.

"Mm. Fought in war. Quite a name I have - had. War's over. We lost," he said plainly. "Just with adventurers now - any who take me on."

niw18
2011-05-30, 01:24 AM
he would walk to where the rest of the group was and soon looked to the one with mini puppets as he rest soon be back at the cafe with the rest of the group. Brutus would look to the others and then around for any enemies that might be ease dropping for hints and advantages over them. He would walk over to mini warforged master and then to his warforged brethren "what know" he would ask and look to the younger warforged "I have not seen your type of warforged before then again I was calvery in the great war and most magic users their where humans"

OMG PONIES
2011-06-06, 07:49 AM
Ignoring the introductions for a moment, Reglas takes a quick head count and writes in the sky with his finger, carefully figuring out yet another arcane equation. "Well," he mutters, "I won't be able to take all of you at once. The weight of so many footsteps on the aether would stretch the...suffice it to say, this process could require multiple days. Unless, of course, any among you has a modicum of teleportation talent?"

Remembering the request for introductions, the old elf clucks his tongue and shakes his head. "Apologies," he says, "I am forgetting my manners. Reglas P Ignelia," he says with a slight bow, "master arcanist, professional librarian, studied physician, hobbyist herbalist, and fledgling chef. Ingot and I have been colleagues on some casework for Morgrave University; the others, I have just met."

Obrysii
2011-06-08, 11:21 AM
"Mm, multiple days? Not sure if we have the time - should, far to go," he said.

He looked to the newcomer, "I am Rasbar Aurm."

He looked to the mage, "If we had a scroll, I'll use scroll. Good with items - puppet lord's right and honor."

Wiz
2011-06-10, 05:41 PM
Diedre shrugs, "I cannot cast a teleportation spell, but given a day and about 600 gold pieces worth of materials I can scribe a scroll of teleportation for you. Given 18 days and about 9000 gold pieces I could etch you a schema that could be reused on a daily basis. Either could take the reader and three other man-sized or smaller creatures."

OMG PONIES
2011-06-13, 09:29 AM
Reglas does a few brief calculations in the air, then nods."Yes, the scroll should suffice. A day's labor might be shared between us, Diedre, as I could help you grasp the required nuances. Working on my own, I would need three castings of the spell to transport all of us, which would require two days' work as it is. This way, half the group could travel via scroll and the other could travel with me, all arriving nigh instantaneously!" The old elf nearly loses himself in his excitement, before continuing in a much more reserved tone. "Let's get to work then, shall we?"

Wiz
2011-06-13, 04:46 PM
Diedre smiles, holding out her hand. "So, who's going to front me money to buy the supplies? I have perhaps eighty gold, maybe a few coins more..."

TekHed
2011-06-14, 03:37 AM
"I'm afraid my modest stipend from the University has all gone to materials and research. If need be however I can pull some strings with the Wayfarer Foundation, but they will then want a portion of the proceeds from our expedition..." spoke the exotic construct.

OMG PONIES
2011-06-28, 07:00 AM
After the party has worked out the cost from each individual for a scroll of Teleport, Reglas and Diedre get to work on scribing it. While Diedre works, Reglas pipes up now and again. "No, no, that's not the traditional incantation. And your calculations are all off..." However, every time he attempts to correct her, he is stymied to realize that her methods are equally as functional as his own. Flustered, he stammers, "Well, I suppose you can do it that way, if you're in a hurry."

Wiz
2011-06-28, 07:15 AM
Diedre smiles at the other crafter, "Don't forget... I'm not making a wizard's scroll. The codification system that I use is different... more fundamental." She points out several key areas on the scroll, "This isn't standard wizard's notation, as was probably invented by the giants and revised by the elves, that is an..." She struggles to find terms that he will understand, "An operating system, that sits over the linkages... making them easy to control. I'm dealing with the fundamental linkages of magic that aren't arcane or divine. Only a person who has skill in using magic devices will be able to interpret and use this scroll, because frankly, I'm not versed in writing that higher operating system code. Why would I be? I'm no wizard."

Obrysii
2011-06-28, 08:00 AM
"I - I am skilled with operating magical devices. Yes. Puppets animated with magic, wands operated with skills, not spelluse," Rasbar said.

Wiz
2011-06-28, 08:03 AM
Channa nodded, "Then you can use it, or I can. We'll figure that out once it is done." She continues scribing.