PDA

View Full Version : About Aboleth's slime and reincarnation in Eberron

Kol Korran
2011-05-02, 08:00 AM
two quite different topics, but i didn't want to create two threads. i have a few questions about two topics:

Aboleth's slime ability
1) most groups that don't know this monster won't have remove disease ready, which according to the ability's description, means that in 1d4+1 minutes, the character is basically out of play, since only Miracle or Wish can heal this.

save or die effect. i don't like those that much. does anyone deal with this any differently? i have 2 ideas:
- have the effect be broken with more spells, lower level. perhaps heal? break enchantment? remove disease that must overcome a high DC? (sort of SR for the slime)
- the slime works differently, it reduces the character's Con by 1d10? 2d6? once it reaches 0 the character starts to transform, gaining con bqack at a slower rate (1/ 1d3 per round?) in that time the remove disease is applicable.
a more measured path to transformation, not quite a save or die.

2) what happens to a shape shifter who is transformed, lets say... a Rakshasa? does he has the slimy skin in every form? my thoughts is that after transforming, the new skin emerges after 1d4+1 rounds. any thoughts?

Reincarnation in Eberron (and more)
1) does any of you have a way of incorporating changelings, shifters and Kalashtar in the reincarnation spell? what happens to he Kalahstar spirit? is the shifter trait random or not?

2) can you incorporate rare races, such as half giants or aasimars into the table? two of my players play such races, and i'd like for it to be possible at least for them to come back as the same race.

thanks a bunch,
Kol. :smallsmile:

(search word: tomer)

AslanCross
2011-05-02, 08:26 AM
two quite different topics, but i didn't want to create two threads. i have a few questions about two topics:

Aboleth's slime ability
1) most groups that don't know this monster won't have remove disease ready, which according to the ability's description, means that in 1d4+1 minutes, the character is basically out of play, since only Miracle or Wish can heal this.

save or die effect. i don't like those that much. does anyone deal with this any differently? i have 2 ideas:
- have the effect be broken with more spells, lower level. perhaps heal? break enchantment? remove disease that must overcome a high DC? (sort of SR for the slime)
- the slime works differently, it reduces the character's Con by 1d10? 2d6? once it reaches 0 the character starts to transform, gaining con bqack at a slower rate (1/ 1d3 per round?) in that time the remove disease is applicable.
a more measured path to transformation, not quite a save or die.

Since water is relatively easy to get and there are outfits that allow the character to remain moist (I think there's an illithid outfit in Lords of Madness that does), I'd keep it as is. I don't think it's as crippling as it sounds.

2) what happens to a shape shifter who is transformed, lets say... a Rakshasa? does he has the slimy skin in every form? my thoughts is that after transforming, the new skin emerges after 1d4+1 rounds. any thoughts?

I think a rakshasa can mask the appearance, but can't cancel the effect.

Reincarnation in Eberron (and more)
1) does any of you have a way of incorporating changelings, shifters and Kalashtar in the reincarnation spell? what happens to he Kalahstar spirit? is the shifter trait random or not?

2) can you incorporate rare races, such as half giants or aasimars into the table? two of my players play such races, and i'd like for it to be possible at least for them to come back as the same race.

thanks a bunch,
Kol. :smallsmile:[/quote]

I think shifters (with random traits) and changelings, as well as aasimar and half-giants can be put into the list without problems. The kalashtar is more problematic due to the quori nature; I'd make it such that the kalashtar either comes back as a kalashtar of the same lineage, a kalashtar with a different lineage (and possibly the opposite gender), or...as an Inspired possessed by a Quori, who is almost indistinguishable from kalashtar to the untrained eye. :smallamused:

supermonkeyjoe
2011-05-02, 08:42 AM
Wizards has a random reincarnation table for eberron in one of the druid articles Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051024a)

The article covers kalashtars reincarnating but not shifter traits, I would personally either allow the player to choose a trait or select one that would be most appropriate to the characters personality.