PDA

View Full Version : Iron Kingdoms vs. Steam & Steel

McQ
2011-05-02, 10:49 AM
I'm really sad that somehow my previous post did not seem to work. Lots of information in it.

I need help with "merging" Mongoose's Steam & Steel and Iron Kingdoms.
Here's a list of what I like and don't like of both.

Iron Kingdoms:
I like how many skills there are (Craft Clockwork, Steam Engine, Mechanika, Small Arms) and that there are a few categories to build in. However, almost everything seems done with Craft Mechanika.
I don't like that Craft Mechanika seems to insist on mixing magic with crafting or repairing. And this does pose a problem for a lvl 1 Rogue having SO many Craft skills just to be a flesh out mechanic.
I really like the skill Jack Handling that acts like Handle Animal towards constructs.

Steam & Steel:
I like that there are more devices to implement from this source. Yet again, though, many devices require Arcane spellcaster abilities. (Spells specifically)
I like that there are some pregenerated construct machines to use. It's interesting that they have an understanding of language, and although they seem capable of performing a series of tasks, they don't seem trainable.

What I'd like to do is create a Rogue who is also a Mechanic.
I'd like to have the mechanical abilities be Clraft Clockwork to maintain and at times outfit with different parts. The Construct would be trainable via Jack Handling, and I would like some way to "teach" or "install" Skills to use.

It would require no need for magical abilities (though later I'd like to introduce some "magical" versions later), and it's power source would be Steam Engines. I'm a little confused about the rules to Craft a custom construct, but I understand Mechanika is essentially for the body, and an Engine can be Steam built. But it seems there needs to be an Accumulator or Thought Matrix? It's not too important that the character can craft new constructs, just to be able to repair them and add parts on occasion. Knowledge Mechanika I'm assuming is necessary as well.

I'd also like to have two "factions" of constructs. The first "earlier models" would have more personality (Your Wall E, R2D2, Calibretto, maaaybe that Archy 5?) being service 'droids' to huge Jack Hammers, and a few military War Forged. They'd look rough, some made of clockworks, others steam powered, and the very special would be magical (War Forged?). All of them essentially "old world" hand craftsmanship. The "second generation" would be much more mass produced, very "mindless" but fitted with features to impersonate personality and looks, but still noticeably fake. Eventually they would develop a sort of "ghost in the machine" consciousness.

I'd like the Rogue to have Craft Small Arms to use and upkeep Pistols, but it would be necessary to create their own ammunition due to being cut off from suppliers. How can I do this without overloading the Rogue with skills? To incorporate things as are (even if I treat Craft Steamworks from Steam & Steel as Craft Mechanika) I'd have: Craft Mechanika, Knowledge Mechanika, Craft Clockwork, Craft Small Arms, Craft Steam Engine, and Jack Handling.

At worst, I'll just create a skill called "Gnomish Crafts" to incorporate them all, put in the Knowledge and Jack Handling as their own skills, and just give a Racial bonus skill point boost at first level. I just feel that doing that kills a lot of the fluff I want.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

McQ
2011-05-02, 09:57 PM
BUMP!
Please help!