PDA

View Full Version : Bludgeoning weapon boosts?

Thespianus
2011-05-02, 11:31 AM
I'd like to check if there's any fun Weapon Size enhancements out there? I'll be casting Greater Mighty Wallop on a Heavy Mace (the weapon of choice for our Cleric), and I'd like to know if anyone knows of any weapon enhancements that would further boost the effective size of this Heavy Mace.

I know of the usual shenanigans with unarmed strikes for Monks/Fist of the Forest, etc, but what about boosting a medium Heavy Mace even further than a 9th level Greater Mighty Wallop can produce? The first step would be to use Enlarge Person on the Cleric, I suppose. It would move the 1D8 damage into 4D6 territory ( 2D6 for Large , then 4D6 for GM Wallop @CL9), but I'm sure one could go further?

I've found the Sizing enhancement in the MIC, +5000 gp to be able to change the size of the weapon, but that causes all kinds of problems with size proficiency. I want the weapon to remain the same size as the Cleric character.

Any WOTC source is fine. Anyone? :)

Devmaar
2011-05-02, 12:04 PM
Strongarm Bracers will let you wield a weapon one size larger than usual

Veyr
2011-05-02, 12:09 PM
Things that boost your own size will usually boost your equipment's size to match. Look into Enlarge Person or Expansion, maybe Giant Size. Righteous Might if you're a Cleric.

Increasing the effective size of the weapon isn't very good though; you only get an average of +1 damage most of the time for that (if you get large enough, you can get more, since it seems to have accelerating returns, but that would likely require far too much investment). Increasing your size is much better, because that gives you Reach.

erikun
2011-05-02, 12:10 PM
Not that I know of, no. Bashing (shield enchantment) and Shillelagh (Druid 1, for clubs and quarterstaffs) come to mind as increasing the weapon size as well, but neither will apply to your cleric's mace. Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) can enlarge you more than Enlarge Person, although you'd need to be level 7 and a Psychic Warrior to augment it so. Being a race with Powerful Build, such as the Half-Giant, will allow you to wield a larger-sized weapon as well. Note that the Half-Giant isn't a viable target for Enlarge Person, but can use Expansion on themselves.

So, a Half-Giant with a club using Shillelagh + Greater Mighty Wallop + Expansion would be dealing 8d6 by 9th level. (club 1d6 base, 1d8 with Powerful Build, 2d6 with Shillelagh, 4d6 with Greater Mighty Wallop, 8d6 with augmented Expansion)

I believe the Forgotten Realms book also allowed you to gold-plate your weaponry to increase their damage size again, although I'm not sure how well that would work with Shillelagh.

Veyr
2011-05-02, 12:13 PM
Goliaths also have Powerful Build as with Half-Ogres, and I think they're Humanoid.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-02, 12:15 PM
Goliaths also have Powerful Build as with Half-Ogres, and I think they're Humanoid.

Monstrous Humanoids sadly.

Thespianus
2011-05-02, 01:00 PM
Ok, great. Some good stuff here.

The Strongarm Bracers seem to work fine for this, basically we could get the Cleric a Large Heavy Mace, with the Strongarm Bracers, cast Greater Mighty Wallop and, if needed, cast Enlarge Person (or Righteous Might) and we'd end up with 6D6 worth of weapon damage at level 9. Since the dwarf doesn't have Power Attack, or any other goodies like that, I started looking into this. It seems like fun. :)

The recommendations for using another race, Druid spells and Psycic Warrior can be relevant for other people looking for advice, but in this case, it doesn't help. Thanks though! :)

Veyr
2011-05-02, 04:12 PM
Righteous Might doesn't have the Humanoid restriction, which means you can be a Goliath and use it. That gets you another size increase on the weapon.

EDIT: I totally misread that last line.

Joshinthemosh
2011-05-02, 10:49 PM
Heavy Weapons:Magic of Faerun pg. 179. It effective increases the damage dice of the weapon a size category without actually increasing the size. I.e. a heavy medium longsword does 2d6 damage instead of 1d8. That being said it takes an EWP feat for, in your case Heavy Heavy Mace(no seriously that's what it's called).

If we add this to say your standard heavy mace

1d8+ heavy=2d6

three size increases=6d6 if I'm not mistaken. That's without the Strongarm Bracers.

erikun
2011-05-02, 11:11 PM
That being said it takes an EWP feat for, in your case Heavy Heavy Mace(no seriously that's what it's called).
It's better than the Heavy Light Mace. :smallbiggrin:

And actually, it would be a Heavy Large Heavy Mace, with the Strongarm Bracers.

Thespianus
2011-05-03, 01:16 AM
And actually, it would be a Heavy Large Heavy Mace, with the Strongarm Bracers.
This is rapidly moving into Glaive-Glaive-Guisarme-Glaive-territory. ;)

But, thanks to Joshinthemosh, that feat might come in handy too, then. Depending on how things unfurl. :)

So: Heavy Large Heavy Mace with Strongarm bracers, EWP-feat (to avoid attack penalty), Enlarge Person and Greater Mighty Wallop should push the damage to 8D6.

Ridiculous, but fun. :)

Thurbane
2011-05-03, 02:21 AM
You might find some inspiration here: Not called GREAT Club for nothing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49522)