PDA

View Full Version : Dying Earth- A Post-Apoc Civ V Let's Play

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-02, 11:38 AM
So I had this idea bouncing around. I set up a game of Civ V, and then play with the settings to create a post-apocalyptic world. Low sea level, high temperature, etc. So who thinks this would be interesting? Either as a Dwarf Fortress-esque succession game? Or a more traditional, vote-and-screenshot LP?

EDIT: Voting has begun. Please cast your votes for:

Chosen Civilization
Map Type/Size
Number of City States
Available Victory paths
Speed
Difficulty
Raging Barbarians or not?

Votes will be counted and the LP will start in a week's time. Stay tuned.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-02, 01:26 PM
While my Civ V game is out of order at the moment, I am intrigued.

What do you suggest to do to create a Postapoc setting?

psilontech
2011-05-02, 03:52 PM
Interested in seeing a traditional LP.

Are you going to be using any kind of mods for this?

Lord Loss
2011-05-02, 04:52 PM
Post Apoc LP Intrigues me oh so very much.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-02, 06:41 PM
Make it very humid. Some sort of heavily densed jungle or forest.

And then play te Aztecs. I want us to be Khorne Worshippers, and hunt down the enemy for the Blood God!

Have you ever considered the link between the Aztec and Khorne? :smalleek:

houlio
2011-05-02, 06:45 PM
Make it very humid. Some sort of heavily densed jungle or forest.

And then play te Aztecs. I want us to be Khorne Worshippers, and hunt down the enemy for the Blood God!

Have you ever considered the link between the Quetzalcoatl and Khorne? :smalleek:

Fixed that for you.

Is it possible to start at the modern era in civ 5?
Because that might work for you too, depending on your post-apocalyptic tastes.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-02, 06:58 PM
I have to say, not wanting to derail this thread into a Warhammer one, I have no difficulty imagine an Avatar of Khorne as a giant flying cobra.

Suedars
2011-05-02, 08:32 PM
I haven't played ciV in a while. Does it have settings to let you determine resource availability and AI aggressiveness like cIV did? If so, be sure to set it to low resources, aggressive AI and raging barbarians to properly capture the survivalist feel.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-03, 11:05 AM
What I'd like in games like that if all the "civs" started out as pseudo-barbarian villages, and then a few are either randomly selected.. or maybe the ones with the best "scores" are selected to become the civilisations.

Said civilisations are meant to be shaped based on the behavior of the early barbarian stage, and the environment.

I wonder if there are games like that..

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-03, 12:21 PM
While my Civ V game is out of order at the moment, I am intrigued.

What do you suggest to do to create a Postapoc setting?

Let's see, it'll probably be something along the lines of:

Hot Temperature
Low Rainfall
Low Sea Level
Sparse Resources
No Ancient Ruins

Trying to create a setting where the world was ravaged by war and pollution, perhaps a weather-based superweapon or something.

Interested in seeing a traditional LP.

Are you going to be using any kind of mods for this?

It'll be vanilla settings, unless someone suggests a good, applicable mod.

Is it possible to start at the modern era in civ 5?
Because that might work for you too, depending on your post-apocalyptic tastes.

I'm wondering about that. Whether I should say that most of our advanced tech survived and set up in the modern age, or that even though some survivors have knowledge of this technology, not enough of them are left and we simply don't have access to the required equipment, meaning we could set up in either Ancient or Classical.

I haven't played ciV in a while. Does it have settings to let you determine resource availability and AI aggressiveness like cIV did? If so, be sure to set it to low resources, aggressive AI and raging barbarians to properly capture the survivalist feel.

We'll vote on all that later. Now, in fact. I'll edit the first post.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-03, 12:36 PM
There was a very nice "rebalance mod" that I've seen initially. It changed a few things here and there regarding the strenght of units, etc..

My favourite change to it was the increase of Cultural yield for the Aztec for every unit killed. The Aztec could become powerful and cultured hunter-killers. I did my best to harvest barbarian villages that way.. :smallbiggrin:

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-04, 11:54 AM
I did say applicable, didn't I? Unless it helps with creating a post-apoc setting, it'll not be used.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-04, 12:34 PM
I did say applicable, didn't I? Unless it helps with creating a post-apoc setting, it'll not be used.

Wait, we must have different definition of "applicable"

What do you mean, exactly? Like, theme-related?

Cyborg Mage
2011-05-07, 04:09 AM
I'd say so, yes. Shameless bump post.

Ogremindes
2011-05-07, 04:33 AM
No Ancient Ruins

Searching through the ruins of civilization seems like it should be a major thing here.