PDA

View Full Version : Shephard Question.. ??

Raendyn
2011-05-02, 02:46 PM
Hello,

I was wondering how is this class naturally playable...

I checked various handbooks about planar shephard & i was wondering..

a: Honestly, is there anyone insane enough to allow the freaking 10:1 ration plane? I can't think of any other class combination that can play along a shephard with x10 actions & not feel,in best case scenario, Weird...

b: Hasn't anyone thought that 70-80% of DMs (I really hope i am wrong, about that guess,hopefully they are more) will ban said plain along with few other bad bad abuses like, fire plane-> efreeti -> free wishes? It is natural that since ALL lame handbooks propose these two lame plains, that (supposing i guessed right) 70-80% of sephard can not benefit from any handbook, because they will not want to, OR will not be allowed to abuse the game this way.

So, can anyone suggest a good, solid, not lame plain for a poor future-shephard?

Tael
2011-05-02, 02:51 PM
Wildshape into a flipping outsider with all of their (Su) (Ex) and (Sp) abilities. Win.

Raendyn
2011-05-02, 02:57 PM
Wildshape into a flipping outsider with all of their (Su) (Ex) and (Sp) abilities. Win.

I asked for a plain suggestion...

Since now i am probably going for a celestial plain.
14 lvl = planetar, 20 lvl = titan. in my book thios is a good deal. & since they are found on the random encounter table in MoP, my DM found it sane that they are considered natives, so i can Wild Shape into them.

My problem is that i read books above book to find this info & i bet it is not the best. i am looking for suggestions. not stating the obvious about the class abilities

Gnaeus
2011-05-02, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Tael regarded that as abusing the game, not as a solid suggestion for a playable character.

Titan, for example, can break the game with Gate just as fast as the efreet can with Wish.

Raendyn
2011-05-02, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Tael regarded that as abusing the game, not as a solid suggestion for a playable character.

Titan, for example, can break the game with Gate just as fast as the efreet can with Wish.

Hopefully, my DM bans all those things,as he want us all to have good time. & abuses end up with a campaign death...

gate/wish/10:1 ration/genesis/shapechange/polymorphed are banned.

Still, i am looking afor a good suggestion on a plain.

faceroll
2011-05-02, 03:18 PM
Hopefully, my DM bans all those things,as he want us all to have good time. & abuses end up with a campaign death...

It's good that those abilities are banned. Now why are you trying to sneak those abilities back in (albeit in a hilariously obvious way)?

*.*.*.*
2011-05-02, 03:21 PM

Go for the forest plane, it has a crap ton of magical beasts if memory serves.

Gnaeus
2011-05-02, 03:35 PM

Ok. So all you get is at will Chain Lightning, fire storm, greater dispel magic, hold monster, invisibility, invisibility purge, levitate, persistent image; 3/day—etherealness, word of chaos, summon nature’s ally IX; 1/day— maze, meteor swarm. From that one form? Thats only 7 9th level spells and 4 8ths (and some 7ths). That won't break the game.

If your DM is going to ban things that break the game, he will START with planar shepherd. It is in the top 10 list of most abusive prestige classes, and it doesn't need time traits to get there.

Raendyn
2011-05-02, 03:36 PM
It's good that those abilities are banned. Now why are you trying to sneak those abilities back in (albeit in a hilariously obvious way)?

I am not, Honestly, the ban persists through Wild Shape,so i picked those monsters for the other abilities & not those....I am just looking for a suggestion on a good plane. with a descent plane effect and/or good natives to Wild shape into. But always within limits, anything that seems, weird to you, is seems so to me too & i want to avoid "weird" things

faceroll
2011-05-02, 03:41 PM
I am not, Honestly, the ban persists through Wild Shape,so i picked those monsters for the other abilities & not those....I am just looking for a suggestion on a good plane. with a descent plane effect and/or good natives to Wild shape into. But always within limits, anything that seems, weird to you, is seems so to me too & i want to avoid "weird" things

Everything that lets you turn into a monster in this game is banned, and you're looking for a way to turn into a monster?

Wtf, dude. Not cool.

Greenish
2011-05-02, 03:48 PM
Some planes may have plains. Some planes may even be plain. But I wouldn't call all of them "plain".

Also, all the handbooks are "lame" because they assume you're playing a very high-powered game if you're going to pick planar shepherd. Even without trying to abuse any of it's class features, it's still druid+, and druids are one of the most powerful classes as is.

Raendyn
2011-05-02, 03:51 PM
If your DM is going to ban things that break the game, he will START with planar shepherd. It is in the top 10 list of most abusive prestige classes, and it doesn't need time traits to get there.

He doesn't ban anything just because it is overpowered. he(as half of the players) hates abuses & things that make us wanna through out.

Plannar shephard has a unique, beautiful fluf. It is a powerfull class, not a game breaking one,as long as the player is sane.

Wild shaping into something that gives you a few spells/abilities is not the same with a lvl 11 wiz binding efreet...

Some planes may have plains. Some planes may even be plain. But I wouldn't call all of them "plain".

Also, all the handbooks are "lame" because they assume you're playing a very high-powered game if you're going to pick planar shepherd. Even without trying to abuse any of it's class features, it's still druid+, and druids are one of the most powerful classes as is.

We are in a very high-powered campaign endeed! & i wanna focus on the druid+ powered shephard has, i play along 2 wizards & an archivist & believe me they all count as 2 of the same class.

I just wanna avoid things that make me think that my player is ridiculus..
Truth is, that the DM did not banned any plain, i did!

Can anyone in this forum stop playing judges about powerlvls/prestigues etc etc& give a nice advice to a guy that asked?
Or do i have to constan apologises for the campaign i am playing?

p.s. "lame" indeed,...

faceroll
2011-05-02, 03:57 PM
Turning into something with SLAs is broken, if your game isn't even going to allow wildshape.

I suggest you play a shapeshift variant druid, and then whatever plane you pick gives you bonuses based on the plane, like fire damage and type or something like that.

Honestly, picking up planar shepherd in a game where all polymorph effects are banned is basically you going "how about I ignore your rules and promise not to do anything too crazy?" In your second post, you want to wildshape into a planetar! That's so messed up. One of the big perks of wildshape, as a druid, is being able to circumvent your low physical ability scores and be a competent melee combatant. Not having wildshape removes that. Then immediately you look at a Titan!

Gnaeus
2011-05-02, 04:06 PM
Can anyone in this forum stop playing judges about powerlvls/prestigues etc etc& give a nice advice to a guy that asked?
Or do i have to constan apologises for the campaign i am playing?

Your question does not make sense. You say you don't want to abuse the game, then you give one of the most abusive classes in existence and you express your intention to use an abusive form. It isn't just that PS gives you 7 free 9th level spells. THAT ONE FORM THAT YOU MENTIONED gives 7 (actually 8, but Gate is apparently too broken) free 9th level spells, then you just WS into a DIFFERENT form that gives a bunch of other free spells. You want a Planar Shepherd build that avoids "bad bad abuses"? I recommend druid 20, and call yourself a planar shepherd.