PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dragon's Blood Pool & FS

Thurbane
2011-05-02, 06:37 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering what the interaction is (if any) with the Dragon’s Blood Pool (CM) and the Favoured Soul? I think I’ve seen it used as a way for a FS build to enter a PrC that requires arcane casting, but I don’t see how.

The pool grants a bonus 1st to 3rd level arcane spell slot for 1 year – but how would the FS utilize that slot, as they have no arcane spells to put in it? Is there a key part of this trick that I’m missing, like a feat or PrC feature?

Cheers - T

Kuulvheysoon
2011-05-02, 11:02 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering what the interaction is (if any) with the Dragon’s Blood Pool (CM) and the Favoured Soul? I think I’ve seen it used as a way for a FS build to enter a PrC that requires arcane casting, but I don’t see how.

The pool grants a bonus 1st to 3rd level arcane spell slot for 1 year – but how would the FS utilize that slot, as they have no arcane spells to put in it? Is there a key part of this trick that I’m missing, like a feat or PrC feature?

Cheers - T

Well, there's an ACF in Dragon Magic for FS of Bahamut/Tiamat where they can (eventually) learn a pair of arcane spells. Off the top of my head, that's the only way I can think of.

Thurbane
2011-05-03, 01:56 AM
That would work, sure.'

But here's an example build I've seen: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870806/War_Weavers_Handbook,_Black_Tactica_Edition

Algernon Of The White Lillies
"Everything slips away..."

Much like the joker except that it uses a dragon's blood pool to count himself as an arcane caster. Has to come back every twelve months for another drink or his powers fade. Uses favored soul ACF to add a buff to his spells that adds temporary HP. We can now cast any personal spell on an ally with a touch. Okay, fair enough, so now allies are legal targets. That's terribly important. Most GMs will now let you cast into the tapestry, though they should not. Share spell with your familiar, however, and it becomes a ranged touch, split ray it, and target the tapestry with it to store it as a quiescent weaving. It now satisfies all the requirements for using the tapestry.

Human Favored Soul 4/War Weaver 5/Spellguard of Silverymoon 4/XXXXXXX 6

1) Sanctum Spell, split ray, improved initiative, enlarge spell
3) extend spell
6) Obtain familiar, since we are an arcane caster
9) Persistent Spell
12) DMM: Persist
...so is this build just wishful thinking that Dragon's Blood Pool alone lets your FS count as an arcane caster?

Darrin
2011-05-03, 06:06 AM

There are a couple ways to get arcane casting via a feat. The first that comes to mind is the regional feat Magical Training (FRCS), which gives you three 0-level spell slots. From there you can Heighten your cantrips up to 1st/2nd/3rd level. This also allows you to take the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium, which gives you 9 known arcane spells.

You could use the Extra Spell feat to learn an arcane spell. If you can cast 4th level Favored Soul spells, you can learn a 3rd level arcane spell to put in your arcane slot. You could also use Extra Slot feat to pick up a 2nd level slot that doesn't go away after a year.

The third method is Alternative Source Spell from Dragon #325. This allows you to prepare any of your divine spells as arcane spells, and vice versa. You must already be able to cast divine and arcane spells, so I'm not sure if just having the spell slot from Dragonsblood Pool counts, but you can pair this up with either Magical Training or Southern Magician (Races of Faerun) to get arcane casting ability.

Drake-Helm (Eberron Explorer's Handbook) and Knowstones (Dragon #333) could also be used to add arcane spells to your known spells.

Thurbane
2011-05-03, 06:25 AM
There are a couple ways to get arcane casting via a feat. The first that comes to mind is the regional feat Magical Training (FRCS), which gives you three 0-level spell slots. From there you can Heighten your cantrips up to 1st/2nd/3rd level. This also allows you to take the Bloodline feats from Dragon Compendium, which gives you 9 known arcane spells.

You could use the Extra Spell feat to learn an arcane spell. If you can cast 4th level Favored Soul spells, you can learn a 3rd level arcane spell to put in your arcane slot. You could also use Extra Slot feat to pick up a 2nd level slot that doesn't go away after a year.

The third method is Alternative Source Spell from Dragon #325. This allows you to prepare any of your divine spells as arcane spells, and vice versa. You must already be able to cast divine and arcane spells, so I'm not sure if just having the spell slot from Dragonsblood Pool counts, but you can pair this up with either Magical Training or Southern Magician (Races of Faerun) to get arcane casting ability.

Drake-Helm (Eberron Explorer's Handbook) and Knowstones (Dragon #333) could also be used to add arcane spells to your known spells.
Wow, really useful info there! Thanks so much...my Favored Soul/Hexer build just got one step closer. :smallbiggrin: