PDA

View Full Version : Invisible posts

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-02, 07:52 PM
I've had a very strange sensation in my Tomb of Horrors In-character thread. A player posted his turn but it didn't appear in the thread for me for a whole day.

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-02, 07:57 PM
Was it, by chance the first post on a new page?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-02, 08:08 PM
No, it wasn't. As it didn't show in my subscribed threads, and when I went to the thread it was not there.

Here is the post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10891049&postcount=936) and it's definitely not on a new page.

I was going to ask in here about where the post was, as the player told me he had done it, then it just showed up.

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-02, 08:38 PM
I am going to say it had something to do with your cache because that's what the cool techno-kids usually say about things like this. Other than that, I now flee the field and leave you to more knowlegeable admins.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-02, 08:41 PM
It might be, but I was accessing this from a PC and from my mobile phone.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-08, 07:57 PM
No answers? No one?

LOTRfan
2011-05-08, 08:01 PM
It happens to me every once in a while. Did it require someone else posting before it showed up?

Qaera
2011-05-08, 08:02 PM
Did you see it on one but not the other?

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-08, 08:38 PM
No, gone on both then it turned up.

And it did not require someone else posting in the thread.

Feriority
2011-05-08, 09:31 PM
Is your phone connected to the same wireless network as the PC, or is it using a cellular network? If it's the first, then it could just be a cache problem in a different layer of the network, not your computer; if it's not, then there's something weirder going on. One thing you could try is logging out and seeing if you still can't see the post (obviously it's too late for that now); that would help determine if it was a weird bug on the site's side or somewhere else along the chain.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-08, 09:52 PM
No, while they use the same network (my phone company roams on my Intenret Netwwork) they're different. Also, my work computer is unrelated to both of them and the post was still not there.

aart lover
2011-05-08, 10:14 PM
i too have experienced this travesty. in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10951015#post10951015) thread. y'see my post? the one that's not there? exactly.:annoyed:

EDIT: nevermind, it showed up after a bit.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-08, 10:38 PM
It'll turn up, eventually.

Rawhide
2011-05-09, 06:02 AM
Katana_Geldar: Next time it happens, hit reply (but don't actually reply) and see if it shows up in the topic review list below the reply text box.

Keld Denar
2011-05-09, 06:38 PM
Did you by chance get one of the various 500 (500, 503, 504?) errors after you hit the post button? I've noticed every once in a while when I post, and get that error instead of the thread reloading, the post doesn't show up directly, and if I hit back and click post again, it double posts. I don't know if its just some part of the script that breaks in the process. Then again, I've never gotten that error when posting from my Droid phone, but I don't really post a lot from my phone so the sample size is small.

I use Windows 7 and IE11 (I think), for reference.

Irbis
2011-05-09, 07:00 PM
Did you by chance get one of the various 500 (500, 503, 504?) errors after you hit the post button? I've noticed every once in a while when I post, and get that error instead of the thread reloading, the post doesn't show up directly, and if I hit back and click post again, it double posts. I don't know if its just some part of the script that breaks in the process. Then again, I've never gotten that error when posting from my Droid phone, but I don't really post a lot from my phone so the sample size is small.

I use Windows 7 and IE11 (I think), for reference.

Actually, I think in such cases it posts most of the time, which is why it's good idea to not click post before you make sure it really wasn't sent.

Also, I want your IE11, it must be cool, seeing IE9 was released last month :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-09, 07:08 PM
The issue was that it wasn't my post, and I try and limit my posts in the IC thread as that's exclusively for the game. It makes it easier when I update.

Spartacus
2011-05-09, 07:44 PM
The most annoying part of this bug (and similar disappearing-post ones) is since we don't know what causes it, and can't seem to replicate it, we can'teven begin to fix it.

Rawhide
2011-05-09, 09:35 PM
The most annoying part of this bug (and similar disappearing-post ones) is since we don't know what causes it, and can't seem to replicate it, we can'teven begin to fix it.

The one Katana_Geldar has mentioned is new, a missing post in the middle of the page.

The standard missing post issue is due to a time-out error occurring during the creation of a new page. This issue is known and until it is fixed a workaround has been provided (press reply but don't actually reply, you can see the post in the review list below the reply box - the post will appear normally when someone else has replied).

Serpentine
2011-05-11, 04:00 AM
Also if you do a second post yourself to make it turn up, then delete your second post, it stays without a double-post.

Rawhide
2011-05-11, 08:12 AM
Also if you do a second post yourself to make it turn up, then delete your second post, it stays without a double-post.

We would prefer if you didn't. When you create, edit or delete a post it writes a small entry into the log (including reason for deletion). Unlike your post, the log entry will never go. Guess who has to filter through these log entries if someone is abusing the server...

Serpentine
2011-05-11, 08:41 AM
Aw. But it's handy :smallfrown: Fine :smallsigh: