PDA

View Full Version : Mysteriously Locked Threads?

Lord Loss
2011-05-02, 08:37 PM
Recently (twice in the last three days) threads in Friendly Banter have been appearing as "Locked" with no Mod post explaining it and have become unlocked a few hours later, still without explanation. I don't know if this is intentional, or if others have been seeing these same threads as locked?

Here's an example. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106470&page=3)

Thanks in advance!

- Lord Loss

Rae Artemi
2011-05-02, 09:35 PM
Check the dates of the posts. I know that that thread, at least, was locked for thread necromancy. They sometimes lock those threads without posting why, due to that coming up a lot. I think.

arguskos
2011-05-02, 09:44 PM
Check the dates of the posts. I know that that thread, at least, was locked for thread necromancy. They sometimes lock those threads without posting why, due to that coming up a lot. I think.
You know, that really bugs me actually. I mean, yeah, we're not "entitled" to knowing why things are locked, but it's polite to let the community know why threads are being locked.

I can't make anyone do anything, of course, but it'd be quite kind of the staff to make sure to post saying something clever about locking threads (most mods do seem to like their punny little statements, after all :smallwink:). Just a suggestion though.

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-02, 09:52 PM
Sheriff: This comes up once every couple years. Standard procedures is to make a mod post explaining the lock. Sometimes, though, time does not permit that but the thread needs to be locked. As a standard practice, though, we do tell you why it was locked. It just makes sense to do so, but bear with us if at times that doesn't happen.

The one linked, by the way, is obviously Thread Necromancy, having been revived from 2009. It's still standard practice to make a post when we lock, but I wouldn't call the reason for such a lock "mysterious."