PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Optimizing a Factotum

Avalon2099
2011-05-02, 09:44 PM
Hey all,

Soon to start in a friends level 7 Ravenloft game, it's the module where we got to Castle Ravenloft, never played or read it but I understand the setting.

I've been doing some research and have found the Factotum to be an interesting class, what I'm hoping is if someone could help me optimize the character.

Some info

The character is Human, must be level 7, multi classing is fine as is prestige classing if necessary. Stats are rolled not point buy, managed to roll in front of witnesses, a very decent set. So I am not hurting in that department.

Magic item limit is equivalent to DMG rules so about 19,000 gp and no more than 1/4 of that total on anyone item.

Other plays are playing a Elven Archivist, Rogue/Paladin/Shadowbame Inquisitor, and one last player who was considering an Artificer.

I am also interested in Gestalting but haven't read what it or how it works.

Thanks for your time,

Avalon

The Rabbler
2011-05-02, 10:00 PM
I'll just leave this here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0).

Greenish
2011-05-02, 10:00 PM
Gestalting is a variant that affects the whole campaign. Unless your DM said it's a gestalt campaign, you can't do it.

Have you read the factotum handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)? That should give you the basics, though Intimidate isn't that hot against undead.

Turning isn't probably something worth focusing even though factotums can do it.

Avalon2099
2011-05-02, 10:12 PM
I'll just leave this here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0).

Ha! Yes I suppose I should have stated I have read that and got some great ideas, I was more specifically concerned with the swordsage dip that JaronK mentions in the first post after the OP. But thanks for the link nonetheless, hopefully I can build something that isn't bad or unneeded.

The Rabbler
2011-05-02, 10:38 PM
Ha! Yes I suppose I should have stated I have read that and got some great ideas, I was more specifically concerned with the swordsage dip that JaronK mentions in the first post after the OP. But thanks for the link nonetheless, hopefully I can build something that isn't bad or unneeded.

It's surprisingly difficult to make a bad or unneeded factotum. You'd really have to try and pick up the wrong skills (craft: basketweaving for example). Just make sure you have some way of doing damage (iaijutsu works, as does throwing) and that you put your highest point into int. Pick some useful spells and you'll find yourself being useful rather often.

Godskook
2011-05-03, 04:13 AM
General advice:

-Take at least 1 fonts of inspiration. You'll be glad you did. Take more later

-Every time you roll a skill check, write it down. At level up, make sure you have 1 rank in *ALL* these skills.

-The swordsage dip is, due to the unique mechanics of ToB, something that you should do at level 7 and 8. Reason for this is that, with only 2 levels of swordsage, you get Assassin's stance. Earliest possible method of dipping Swordsage for that stance.

-Iaijutsu Focus is the easiest way to get damage dice as a Factotum, but requires access to a different book to know the mechanics about it.

-As a Factotum, you're a skill-monkey, a precision attacker, a back-up caster, and melee controller(tripper/grappler/disarmer). You need to be studied as to how to handle *ALL* of these roles, at the same time.

-Melee controller comes down to always having a weapon for the job at hand. Wanna trip someone? Guisarme. Wanna disarm? Ransuer.

-As an IF precision attacker, having a quick razor can be invaluable to your damage output.

Actually, read up on Haberdash, he's a beauty of a Factotum:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-03, 05:38 AM
Something that guide fails to mention, you should get the feat Tactile Trapsmith in Complete Adventurer/Scoundrel. You can say you defeated the Iron Wyrm Vault detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get it for 3,000 gp without spending a feat on it. That turns Search and Disable Device into Dex-based skills, but due to Brains Over Brawn, you would add your Int bonus back into those anyway. It's not a huge difference, but definitely something to look into if you're going to be the one searching for traps.