PDA

View Full Version : I'm building a melee, with options!

Mezmote
2011-05-03, 04:19 AM
Hey playground. In an upcoming campaign I've left my normal path of being a nice guy that got some heals and some spells for everyone. This time, for the RPG challenge, I've decided to play a gruff and more foul-mouthed melee character with a bad attitude against authorities. Alas, I'll never want to build or play a character without options. So, here I'll present 2 of my ideas for you to Min/max (to a certain degree).

Basic rules should be mentioned first:
I can use classes from all complete books, except CMage and CChampion. No Tome of Battle (my DM still dislikes this book for bizarre reasons). No cheese of course =). Assume a build of level 12. It'll be a human for certain.

First up is the "Bad luck for you" guy. Hexblade 4 (dark companion)/Bard 1/Warchanter 7. At the moment I'm only certain in taking Combat Expertise, Snowflake Wardance and Combat Panache as his feats. I'm a big fan of both bard and hexblade, so here is an attempt to mix them up =).

Second up is a bit more "complex build" (imho). Fighter 10 (no flaming, I've read all the opinions on fighter already)/Exotic Weapon Master 1/Master Thrower 1, and planning to complete both prestige classes.

Int 13>str>con>dex>wis>cha.

Ok, the feats have a very specific order. Power Attack (H), Combat Expertise (Level 1), Improved Bullrush (Bonus 1), Improved Trip (Bonus 2), EWP (Bolas) (Level 3), Weapon Focus (Bolas) (Bonus 4), Shocktrooper (Level 6), Point-Blank Shot (Bonus 6), Precise Shot (Bonus 8), Brutal Throw (Level 9), Power throw (Bonus 10), Improved Disarm (Level 12), Quick Draw (Master Thrower 1).

I hope it isn't too quirky a way to type it. Ok, so the idea was to enter both exotic weapon master and master thrower by taking weapon focus in an exotic thrown weapon. This guy will run around with a few Bolas' at his side, whilst he swing around with his Halberd or Guisarme. By being a capable tripper and disarmer (even at ranged) he got more to do than just "hit stuff with the pointy end". Also, the tricks and stunts from the prestige classes will all be chosen to assist in tripping, disarming and throwing the Bolas in melee. And Brutal Throw is in the mix for making him less MAD.

What I'd like to know is (for both of the builds):
1. Are they viable? By that I think they should be able to perform the job they are intended for (Tanking/Throwing/Kicking face). It should be noted that I play in a group where people play figher/paladins, fighter/rangers and such (although we have an almighty Favoured Soul at our side) and find weapon specialization a good way to up damage.

2. Are they stupid? I mean, could this be done better, with fewer or "more correct" feats? Feel free to give suggestions on feat and class builds. Gear isn't all that relevant at this early stage, but IF you have something in mind that you can't hold back, then don't feel restrained =).

And lastly,
3. Am i trying to do too much with these builds? I'm not sure if I should aim for both Prestige classes with the latter build, but on the other hand it would be quite cool as well.

What's the verdict playground?

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-03, 04:28 AM
The first one seems fun, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with the classes used. I'll let somebody else field that one.

The second one is pretty easy, though.

1) No. Tripping is a viable enough option, but not as a ranged build. Disarming is nearly always a waste of time. Having played both types of character, I can safely say that when your DM plans sessions around your character, you feel useful. The rest of the time, you're a chump with no tricks.

2) Not really, as long as disarming and tripping aren't your only options. Disarming can be really fun to use as a secondary technique when your DM isn't expecting you to just take the BBEG's magic sword away.

3) Not at all. Focus makes a build scary deadly, but spreading yourself out into one unifying theme is always fun.

faceroll
2011-05-03, 04:30 AM
Check out the Flaming Homer. It's pretty slick.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22

edit
no, that's not the one
this is the one:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526

It has options.
All of them.

Greenish
2011-05-03, 05:01 AM
Ten levels of fighter, and no zhentarim. Don't you want to be so scary you can make enemies regret not bringing their brown pants as a swift action? :smallcool:

Mezmote
2011-05-03, 05:14 AM
I dunno the Zhentarim ACF, nor where to find it. Links please =)

Oh and I should have mentioned that Factotum is also banned (my DM still has bizarre reasons for this). Otherwise I'd never play anything else ^_^.

My favourite build in the world would be Factotum/Chameleon. But alas, I want to think about something else. Dunno about you guys, but I've planned out my next Archtype classes, just in case I need to pull in a new character (and because I can't stop building them in my head, it never ends ^_^).

Greenish
2011-05-03, 05:24 AM
I dunno the Zhentarim ACF, nor where to find it. Links please =)Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) you go. Have a gander at the fear handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0) while you're at it, intimidate is one of the few ways in which a "pure" melee can debuff or control enemies without hitting them, and it also works in social encounters.