PDA

View Full Version : New DMs and Restrained Cruelty

Ursus the Grim
2011-05-03, 07:50 AM
Hello again, Playground.

When my group gets a new DM, the veteran players often consider it their duty to prepare them for what could happen, including worst-case scenarios, unconventional strategies, and unforeseen character goals.

The Characters
The DM's already proven herself willing to homebrew. Aside from the small-scale campaign, she's handed us all custom npc characters. As some background, I play a level 5 Medicine Woman/Herbalist with the Witch spell list. The other veteran has a level 3 Merchant with ranks in every knowledge skill he could. Another new player works with a level 3 Guard (Warrior) and the last plays the mayor, a level 3 Aristocrat.

The DM said anything not listed already was up to us to decide, so I settled on a cozy little alignment of LE, deciding that as the town's sole healer, no one could argue with me when I "couldn't save" someone. Being told I had to worship a female diety, and Ehlonna being good, my options were somewhat limited, so I chose Nerull. People are suspicious of my magic, apparently, so I figured I'd give them a good reason. It also fit nicely in with my character's youth, charisma, and hobby of seducing young men and women and then poisoning them before I had my fun. I suspect the merchant is running with a less suitable Chaotic Evil alignment, attempting to bribe the local adventurer into running away and abandoning us instead of either getting help or helping defend.

The Story so Far
The mayor, the herbalist, the guard and the merchant are all old friends and meet at the mayor's house regularly as her council. Apparently the regular merchants have not visited Blackdeer Barrows (our town) in some time. As we're discussing this, not surprisingly, a guard runs in, informing us the town is *gasp* under attack. So under attack, actually, that they are directly outside our door.

A handful of kobolds are outside, scribbling and scratching. None of us had any weapons or armor, not even the PC guard, so the mayor tosses us some simple weapons and we go to town. A couple notable events in combat. First, the merchant lures them closer with a few shiny gold pieces and a solid bluff/diplomacy combo before whacking them with a club. Second, my herbalist commanded one to walk towards her, past the other half-dozen characters out there, provoking attacks of opportunity from each one. Also, there was a succesful crit.

Eventually, we are informed that despite loss of multiple limbs, and being prone they are doing their best to attack us. Also, there is no blood. None of us were certain how to point the discrepancy out to the DM. Attempting to be subtle, my herbalist points out that, judging by the lack of blood, these kobolds are deceased, and yet my enchantments worked on them. We work our way out to the rest of the town, give a failure of a speech to the citizens and make rounds attempting to heal survivors.

Apparently Blackdeer Barrows is a river port town. This is where I think we reached out into what the DM wasn't expecting. We payed the sailors a modest sum to begin ferrying the civilians to a nearby, well-guarded city that we have good relations with. Each trip takes two days and clears out one hundred or so of the remaining 3000 people.

We're pretty sure the DM expects us to simply travel to the nearby graveyard and attack the necromancer behind all of this. Our current plan is to fortify the town and hold out while noncombatants are evacuated. We're no adventurers, we're NPCs, after all.

The Question

So the question I have, given the background above, is how else should we throw monkey wrenches at this adventure without being overly difficult. Overly difficult means, say, enchanting my fellow players to do suicidal things, sabotaging the ferry boats, and leading the kobold undead right into the weak spot of town. What should we consider doing to help the DM take things into consideration for later adventures that they might not think of otherwise?

Ranos
2011-05-03, 08:04 AM
I'm not sure I understand your goals here. Are your characters suicidal ? If I understand correctly, the merchant actually bribed the local adventurer to leave you alone instead of, you know, having him deal with the necromancers ?

McSmack
2011-05-03, 08:08 AM
seduce the necromancer

Ursus the Grim
2011-05-03, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand your goals here. Are your characters suicidal ? If I understand correctly, the merchant actually bribed the local adventurer to leave you alone instead of, you know, having him deal with the necromancers ?

My goal is to throw things at the DM now so she can be ready for unexpected things in the future rather than have them come up again and again.

Yes. You understand it. I wanted to smack the merchant's player for that. My character is not suicidal. I suspect the merchant wants everyone to die while he tries to escape the bloodbath. Chaotic stupid and all that. Anyway, we confronted them after it was obvious there was a deal, and the adventurer turned down the bribe publicly, took his horse and headed for the adventurer's guild.

My character's goal is to reach the necromancer behind this and either strike a deal with him or get him to leave. The goals of the guard and the mayor are pretty obvious. Save selves, save people, kill zombies.

seduce the necromancer

Pretty much my goal at this point. He's probably a sickly pale, middle aged dude, but a 26 year old seductress with enchantment magic and a 16 Charisma is hot enough.

101jir
2011-05-03, 08:42 AM
LOL! Players torturing the DM! Personally, from a character survival point, I would suggest you avoid that in case he comes up with something brutal to throw at you.

On a more serious note, stab your "friend" because you know he will betray you.

Ranos
2011-05-03, 09:03 AM
Well, the thing about zombies is, by themselves, they're really not a threat. Zombies are stupid. Hell, stupid is an understatement, they're literally mindless. Put a wall around the city and they'll just bang their head on it ad infinitum trying to get in. The only way they aren't so stupid is if their controllers (the necromancers) are around to give orders and react to changes. Which makes them more exposed and fragile.

So yeah, don't go and confront necromancers in their lair, where they're powerful. Make them come to you.

That_guy_there
2011-05-03, 05:10 PM
I play with a group that constantly thinks outside the "box" (also i think we may be jerks)...

One option: Take the next ferry out. As the town's sole healer you are important and must "look after" the little people.

Second Option: After you fortify the town (or just the part you're in) you get the townsfolk involved. Use them as makeshift followers. Your Charisma should be high enough, make them responsible for building defenses and only after they've helped fight/ defend they get on a ferry.

Just two options for evil folk to utilize (and i use "evil" loosely):smallwink: