PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Favored Soul of Kord

OrganicGolem
2011-05-03, 01:09 PM
so I'm 5th level gestalt character, I want to mix favored soul with something that compliments following Kord. First thought was barbarian, but that seems to obvious... any suggestions?
I'd prefer it have perfect BaB, and be d10 or d12

Tokuhara
2011-05-03, 01:29 PM
so I'm 5th level gestalt character, I want to mix favored soul with something that compliments following Kord. First thought was barbarian, but that seems to obvious... any suggestions?
I'd prefer it have perfect BaB, and be d10 or d12

Kord, god of competition and strength...

Warblade
Crusader
Barbarian
Fighter
Duskblade

There are some of your options. Personally, Here's my 20 level build idea:

Side 1: Favored Soul of Kord 6/Sacred Exorcist 1/Contemplative 1/Prestige Paladin of Freedom 2/Legacy Champion 10

Side 2: Crusader 10/Ordained Champion 10

OrganicGolem
2011-05-03, 01:43 PM
Side 1: Favored Soul of Kord 6/Sacred Exorcist 1/Contemplative 1/Prestige Paladin of Freedom 2/Legacy Champion 10

Side 2: Crusader 10/Ordained Champion 10

Ordained Champion is Heironious or Hextor only, also Its mildly redundant to be a crusader and prestige paladin of any kind.

The Cat Goddess
2011-05-03, 01:54 PM
Ordained Champion is Heironious or Hextor only, also Its mildly redundant to be a crusader and prestige paladin of any kind.

There's a 5-level PrC in Complete Champion for Kord followers (and We Jas, and a few others). It's only 3/5 casting progression, but that's not a big deal in gestalt. Plus, one of the class features for Kord followers is really good, and the others are pretty good.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-03, 02:11 PM
Favored Soul 20// Ranger 1/ Wilder 4/ Slayer 9/ Sanctified Mind 6
That gets a +19 BAB, d8 HD, and you can completely dump Int/Wis. You'll want to say you've already visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will for 3,000 gp without spending a feat on it to qualify for Sanctified Mind. Definitely get Practiced Manifester, and you should probably also pick up Psicrystal Affinity to use Share Pain on it since its Hardness 8 will prevent most of the damage it would take anyway.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-03, 03:28 PM
That's pretty saucy Biffionacus and is probably as SAD as you can get the bad boy.

You could also try something like:

FS20//Paladin 4/Crusader 16

(at 5th level:
FS5//Paladin4/Crusader1)

which picks up Divine Grace and Turn Undead to fuel devotion feats if you'd like.
I've never built it before, and I'm not sure if there is anti-synergy between the Crusader who wants to use his strikes and the FS who wants to cast but I'd imagine you'd want to focus on buffs anyway to avoid the Wis/Cha MAD.

Thurbane
2011-05-03, 05:53 PM
How about: FS 20//Paladin of Freedom 4/Fighter 2/Barbarian 4/Frenzied Berserker 10?

You get turning to fuel Domain feats and/or DMM, a couple of combat bonus feats, and the ability to go absolutely ballistic in combat...comes with the standard warnings about Frenzied Berserker. You could sawp it out for Bear Warrior or similar if you prefer.

Metahuman1
2011-05-03, 07:11 PM
Are you permitted too use home-brew variants/class fixes for things like Fighter and other low tier classes?

Darth Stabber
2011-05-03, 08:17 PM
Definitely ignore spells that offer saving throws like the plague for two reasons
1)reduces MAD
2)perfect flavor fit, kord doesn't want his champions acting like panzy casters, he wants them out hitting people with heavy objects.

Crusader is a fun addition, some small action economy issues with that, but they are mostly alleviated by sticking to buffs.

Totemist is not full bab, but I marvel at what is possible if you combine cleric buffs with mr. Blender.

Barbarian is actually a really good call, get tons of hp, full bab, and all those goodies. Slight problems with rage vs. spell, but again solved by the first suggestion.

Fighter gives slightly less hp (like -1/level), but those feats can mean a lot.

Warblade is good even without a good int (its really good with a good int), and you know that Kod approves of the iron heart discipline (and every build is better with Iron Heart surge).

@Tokuhara - it's commonly accepted that you can't take two prcs at the same time in gestalt. If your gm rules otherwise, then by all means go ahead, but I've never heard of that being allowed.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-04, 12:35 AM
Willing to go Exalted? I've got an idea.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-04, 01:35 AM
You could just go all-out, Favored Soul 20// Barbarian 4/ Fighter 2/ Frenzied Berserker 10/ Warblade 4, get Righteous Wrath so you maintain control during a rage/frenzy, use the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) ACF and get Extra Rage twice to Whirling Frenzy + FB Frenzy 5/day. Be sure to pick up Imperious Command and Never Outnumbered, since you'll need Intimidating Rage anyway.

Draz74
2011-05-04, 01:39 AM
Knight has fabulous mechanical synergy with Favored Soul. Knight + Kord might create some alignment issues, though, depending how strict your group is about alignment.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-04, 01:52 AM
See, for some reason I keep thinking "unarmed" for this build. Sure, Kord favors the greatsword, but I see boxing and wrestling as truer manifestations of Kord's might.

"You hit me!"
"No. I slapped you. If I had hit you, you would be broken."

OrganicGolem
2011-05-05, 01:40 PM
Willing to go Exalted? I've got an idea.

Yes

Knight has fabulous mechanical synergy with Favored Soul. Knight + Kord might create some alignment issues, though, depending how strict your group is about alignment.

Strict, plus I personally hate straying from my god's alignment unless there is a really good reason.

See, for some reason I keep thinking "unarmed" for this build. Sure, Kord favors the greatsword, but I see boxing and wrestling as truer manifestations of Kord's might.

"You hit me!"
"No. I slapped you. If I had hit you, you would be broken."

Half the point of doing Kord was to make use of a greatsword as a favored weapon. I should mention I'm going to be playing either a Goliath, or lately I've been thinking Half-Giant if I go Psychic Warrior.

The Cat Goddess
2011-05-05, 01:56 PM
Sanctified One (Complete Champion) is the PrC I was thinking of. At first level, as a Sanctified One of Kord, you can change any spell that does fire damage to do raw divine damage instead.

The other abilities aren't so great (the fifth level capstone is pretty decent though), but you'll probably only want one or two levels anyway.

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 01:59 PM
Half the point of doing Kord was to make use of a greatsword as a favored weapon. I should mention I'm going to be playing either a Goliath, or lately I've been thinking Half-Giant if I go Psychic Warrior.

Goliath is better. Better ability scores, better fluff, better crunch.

Here's a better version of what i am thinking:

Favored Soul 10/Prestige Paladin of Freedom 2/Legacy Champion 10//La 1/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 4/Ranger 4/Goliath Liberator 10/Beast Heart Adept 2

You wield a Legacy Greatsword connected to Kord, have a Blink Dog monstrous companion, and are the chosen of your god. 9 divine casting and full BAB. Go forth and free your brethren by the light of Kord's guidance.

OrganicGolem
2011-05-05, 05:25 PM
Goliath is better. Better ability scores, better fluff, better crunch.

Here's a better version of what i am thinking:

Favored Soul 10/Prestige Paladin of Freedom 2/Legacy Champion 10//La 1/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 4/Ranger 4/Goliath Liberator 10/Beast Heart Adept 2

You wield a Legacy Greatsword connected to Kord, have a Blink Dog monstrous companion, and are the chosen of your god. 9 divine casting and full BAB. Go forth and free your brethren by the light of Kord's guidance.

That looks awesome except its 22nd level

The Cat Goddess
2011-05-05, 06:01 PM
That looks awesome except its 22nd level

And 21st level on the second side... :smallconfused:

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-06, 12:25 AM

Definitely Goliath. Put as much as possible into Strength and Charisma, and whatever's left over into Constitution and Wisdom. You probably want to focus on Charisma, since that provides your spellcasting, the bulk of your defenses, and some offense.

Your basic strategy, from 5th level all the way through the endgame, is to buff yourself and then charge as often as possible. I think Kord would approve.

Start as Scout 4/Fighter 1//LA +1/Favored Soul 4. Your 1st and 3rd level feats are Nymph's Kiss and Sanctify Martial Strike. Your Fighter bonus feat is Power Attack. Pick whatever you want for the Scout feat; I'd go with Improved Initiative to make up for your Dexterity.

Level 6 is Scout 5/Favored Soul 5. Leap Attack. You gain Evasion and +2d6 skirmish damage.

Level 7 is Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Favored Soul 6. Your BAB is +6 and you get Pounce. Take the Whirling Frenzy variant to take advantage of Pounce.

Level 8 is Battle Dancer 1/Favored Soul 7. Charisma to AC and 1d8 unarmed damage.

Level 9 is Paladin of Freedom 1/Favored Soul 8. Pick Touch of Golden Ice (hypocrisy bonus!) for your feat. You're qualified for Saint, but you don't want it yet.

Level 12 is Paladin of Freedom 4/Favored Soul 11. This is where you turn Saint. Take the Level Adjustment opposite Favored Soul this time, and get free Weapon Specialization in the Greatsword.

Saint gives you DR 10/evil and fast healing equal to 1/2 your HD. It makes you immune to half of the available energy types and gives you a handful of nice defensive buffs and special abilities. And, finally, it adds your Wisdom to your AC and increases your Wisdom and Charisma by 2 and 4, respectively.

Your build is essentially complete at 12th level. Just continue advancing Paladin of Freedom//Favored Soul and choose whatever feats you want. Ascetic Knight + Superior Unarmed Strike gives you the unarmed damage of a Large Monk of your Paladin level +4, which you can use with Snap Kick. Melee Weapon Mastery + Slashing Flurry gives you an extra Greatsword attack. Divine Metamagic + Extend Spell + Persist Spell is obvious. Extra Rage, Extra Smite, and Extra Turning are all good choices.

At 20th, your BAB is 18, you've got 9th level spells, and your saving throws are almost perfect.

Your Armor Class is not good, though your resistances make up for it. Defensive items are still a priority. You benefit more than most from a belt of magnificence, and you want to boost your Strength and Charisma as much as possible.

If you need a ranged option, you can substitute three levels of Paladin of Freedom for Soulknife 2/Soulbow 1. Take Point Blank Shot at 9th and bump Touch of Golden Ice to 12th. Take Zen Archery for your bonus feat and try to get a little more Wisdom in your diet. Pick up Ranged Smite at 15th. It's not as spectacular as your melee abilities, but it's a great backup. And, it doesn't cost you any more BAB.