PDA

View Full Version : Making the half giant from XPH level adjustment +0

the clumsy bard
2011-05-03, 03:16 PM
Basically as the title says.

If you were going to make the half giant from XPH a 0 level adjustment race what would you remove / change.

As it appears in the SRD D20 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants)

Boci
2011-05-03, 03:30 PM
If you want to play a half-giant for mechanical reasons, you will probably lose what you want the giant for. If its for flavour then take away powerful build and make the dex penalty -4, that should make it upper +0. Giant is more of a disadvantage since some buffs will be unavailable, but enemies will see you are a giant and thus not bother caster charm/dominate humanoid, and the other abilities are minor and situational.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-03, 03:45 PM
Check out the pathfinder SRD.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant

They have a good build that I'd say is probably a fine LA+0 port.

Alternatively, have you considered LA buyoff? (optional rules from the UA/srd)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-03, 03:46 PM
Give it -2 Int, and all the drawbacks of large size (-1 to attacks and AC, -4 hide).

Taelas
2011-05-03, 04:22 PM
Check out the pathfinder SRD.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/half-giant

They have a good build that I'd say is probably a fine LA+0 port.

Alternatively, have you considered LA buyoff? (optional rules from the UA/srd)
It is practically the same as the one from XPH. The one difference I can see of note is that it gives +2 Wis instead of +2 Con, and that it does not have the non-humanoid immunity to spells targeting humanoids.

Starbuck_II
2011-05-03, 04:26 PM
It is practically the same as the one from XPH. The one difference I can see of note is that it gives +2 Wis instead of +2 Con, and that it does not have the non-humanoid immunity to spells targeting humanoids.

That is because all PF races are supposed to be LA +1 compared to 3.5 version.

Essence_of_War
2011-05-03, 06:29 PM
Perhaps. LA+1 and LA+0 are both extremely broad categories in 3.5 though. (I'm looking at you lesser aasimar/tiefling.)

With the bonus shifted from CON to wisdom they get less durable in combat, and without the immunities to low level humanoid spells I think this puts them in the high end of the LA+0 but not in the "certainly LA +1" category.

Boci
2011-05-03, 06:33 PM
With the bonus shifted from CON to wisdom they get less durable in combat, and without the immunities to low level humanoid spells I think this puts them in the high end of the LA+0 but not in the "certainly LA +1" category.

But as I said, the immunity is a disadvantage. Spell casters will generally know whether or not their spells can effect giants, and I'm pretty sure half-giants stand out, so they simply won't be targeted.

@Szar_Lakol: I'm guessing you don't hungarian?

LOTRfan
2011-05-03, 06:41 PM
Give it -2 Int, and all the drawbacks of large size (-1 to attacks and AC, -4 hide).

If they are getting drawbacks as well as benefits, why not just give them large size? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Ah, the reach. Would that make 'em LA +1 again?

Andion Isurand
2011-05-03, 06:43 PM
"Lesser" Half-Giant -- Complete Psionic pg. 148

You could just use the features given at first level.... overall it's a little on the weak side, but with templates like those below, it can lead to something more interesting.

Primordial Giant template -- Secrets of Xendrik, pg. 81
Spark (Magic-blooded) template -- Dragon Magazine 306, pg. 65
Dragonborn -- Races of the Dragon