PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Base Class: The Ragelord (PEACH)

Drynwyn
2011-05-03, 04:37 PM
The Ragelord
Design Note: Name subject to change.
You say there's been a fight in the market place and twelve people were killled? No, I'm afraid I didn't see that, Officer- but I heard that that man over there was the cause of it.

-Ignatius Arugasa, Ragelord

A Ragelord is not like a barbarian; not at all. While a barbarian rages, a Ragelord incites that rage in others. He himself tend to be cool and composed at all times. Delighting in drawing out the very worst in human nature, Ragelords cause havoc wherever they go. A weak Ragelord might prevent two potential friends from ever liking one anohter. A more powerful Ragelord might like precision targeting, ending lifelong friendships with a quick word and gesture, and the most famous Ragelords tend to be those who pitted entire countries against one another.
Design Note: This class has the same general feel as Triloch and Ragewalker, but as a class rather than a monster. Aimed for Tier 2.
Making A Ragelord
Ragelords use a variety of mind-affecting powers in order to turn their foes against each other. In close combat, a Ragelord is usually competent but not skilled. As he progresses, however, this combat gap grows wider, but his powers over rage increase, and he will generally stand back and drink in the chaos he engenders rather than diving into melee, especially since he will rarely wear anything but light armor, as doing so makes the use of his abilities a good deal more difficult.

Abilities: By far the most important ability for a Ragelord is Charisma. It affects how hard to prevent his mental assaults are, and helps him talk his way out of the sticky situations he will inevitably get into if news of his powers gets around. Other abilities are mostly secondary; but he can benefit from a high Constitution and Dexterity more than most due to his lack of heavier armor.

Races: Most races have about the same number of Ragelords. Dwarves, however, have very few Ragelords, due to their lack of "people skills" and their lawful tendencies, while many Ragelords are Spellscales, whose natural amiability sometimes twists into a talent for cruel manipulation.

Alignment: Ragelords, as stated above, play to the worst of human nature, and are never good or lawful. Since a Ragelord must have some reason to create anger and hatred above all else, he cannot be True Neutral. His permitted alignments are therefore CN, NE, and CE.

Starting Gold: 5d4X10 (125 gp).
Starting Age: As cleric.
Here comes the table
The Ragelord
Hit die: d6
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Rage Techniques Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Rage Techniques, Aura of Dissonance -1, Incite Rage, Reverse Diplomacy|2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|The Sweetest Syrup|3

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3||4

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4||5

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Annoying Rage Techniques|6

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5||7

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5||8

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6||9

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+6|Frustrating rage techniques|10

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Aura of Dissonance -2|11

11th|
+8|
+3|
+3|
+7||12

12th|
+9|
+4|
+4|
+8||13

13th|
+9|
+4|
+4|
+8|Angering Rage Techniques|14

14th|
+10|
+4|
+4|
+9||15

15th|
+11|
+5|
+5|
+9||16

16th|
+12|
+5|
+5|
+10||17

17th|
+12|
+5|
+5|
+10|Infuriating Rage Techniques, Incite Rage (Ex).|18

18th|
+13|
+6|
+6|
+11||19

19th|
+14|
+6|
+6|
+11||20

20th|
+15|
+6|
+6|
+12|Aura of Dissonance -3|21[/table]
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, x4 at first level): Bluff, Concentraion, Knoledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Intimidate, Profession, Sense Motive.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Ragelord is proficient with simple weapons and light armor. He is not proficient with any shields.

Rage Techniques (Sp) A Ragelord uses Rage Techniques, special arcana that channels the basest of human emotions: Anger. He starts with knowledge of 2 Rage Techniques and learns 1 additional technique for each Ragelord level. The save DC for a Rage technique, when applicable, is 10 + 1/2 your Ragewalker level + Your Charisma modifier. . Each Rage technique known can be used a number of times per day equal to 1 + the number of Rage Technique Tiers above that technique's tier that you have access to. A Ragewalker must rest for 8 hours then meditate for 15 minutes in order to regain his daily Rage Techniques. Unless otherwise noted, it requires a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity to perform a Rage Technique.

Design Note: This class's magic system is based off the Shadowcaster from Tome Of Magic. I always liked the Shadowcaster magic system, since it forced players to learn how to use each ability they picked up rather than use all of their slots on one favorite ability.

Incite Rage (Su) The most basic technique in a Ragelord's arsenal. Once per day/Ragelord level, as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, a Ragelord may specify two creatures to which he has line of effect. One of them is designated as the Target, the other as the Victim. The Target mus then make a Will save, the DC of which is equal to the DC of a Rage technique, or have his attitude change to Hostile towards the Victim for 1 round/2 Ragelord levels. At level 17, this becomes an extraordinary ability.
Code of the Ragelord A Ragelord must cause significant dissonance at least once in X days, with X being the Ragelord's Charisma modifier, or lose all powers except Incite Rage until such dissonance is created.

Reverse Diplomacy A Ragelord may use Bluff (NOT Diplomacy) to make the attitudes of others worse towards someone else. Treat the spectrum as reversed for this; E.G, the DC to change the king's advisor from Helpful to the king to Hostile is the same as making a Hostile target Helpful.

Aura of Dissonance(Su) All those within 60 feet of a Ragelord and not already actively hostile towards him or specifically excluded must make a Will save (The DC is the same as for a Rage Technique) or have their attitudes toward all else worsened by the indicated amount towards all within that same 60 foot area except the Ragelord. Foes who are already hostile towards the Ragelord simply channel that extra hatred towards him. This can be turned off or on by the Ragelord as a move action.

The Sweetest Syrup (Su) When a Ragelord successfully changes the attitude of a creature towards another creature to hostile, he may treat this as just having consumed enough food and water for 1 day.
Design Note: I would especially like your help on the following: Class Name, what to call the third tier of Rage Techniques and the name Rage Techniques. PrC's would also be appreciated, as would any Rage Techniques you come up with.

EDIT: The following changes have been made in response to PEACHing: Fixed typo in Aura of Dissonance save DC, changed the DC calculation for rage techniques, folded "Diplomacy is just another name for lying" into Reverse Diplomacy, Eliminated Code of The Ragelord.

Drynwyn
2011-05-03, 04:38 PM
Reserved for Rage Techniques.
Irksome Rage Techniques
Overwhelming Anger
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Save: Will negates
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft/2 levels)
The target of this technique may only undertake actions that will harm another creature in some direct way. Movement towards an enemy creature is permitted by the effect of this technique. This spell fails if the target is or becomes A)Unaware of any creatures TO WHICH IT HE IS HOSTILE or B)sees attacking the only such creature available as suicidal.
Rage Flare
Target: Two creatures within 30 ft of one another and no more than 100 ft +10 ft./level away from you.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Reflex half
This spell harness animosity between two creatures, literally making the anger between the two of them reach the point of combustion. A bolt of flame can be seen to fly out of one's head at the other. Both targets take 1d6/level fire damage.
Channel Rage
Target: 1 creature
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5ft/level)
Save:Will negates
One creature that you target performs a single standard action that you specify. The action must be non-suicidal, though it can be dangerous, like attempting to leap a chasm. In general, a task that results in immediate death in the case of failure is classified as suicidal if it will succeed less than 50% of the time.
Irritability
Target: 1 creature
Range: Close
Save: See Text
Duration: 24 hours
The target of this technique becomes extremely irritable. Whenever something detrimental to him occurs, he must roll a Will save. If he fails, his attitude immediately drops one degree towards the perceived cause of this detriment. If no cause is readily apparent, the subject will blame one randomly chosen nearby creature. The attitude reverts to normal after the end, but only the attitude drop directly caused by the spell- if the reaction of the subject caused further droppage, it must be restored normally.
PERSONAL SPACE!!!
Duration: 24 hours
The target of this technique begins suffering an extreme hatred of anyone near them. Anyone who enters a square adjacent to the target immediately has the targets attitude towards them drop to Hostile if the prior attitude was Indifferent or Unfriendly, and Unfriendly if the prior attitude was Helpful or Friendly. The attitude reverts to normal after the end, but only the attitude drop directly caused by the spell- if the reaction of the subject caused further droppage, it must be restored normally.
Lasting Hatred
Duration: Instantaneous
You lower the attitude of one creature towards another creature known to it by one degree + one degree for every 5 points by which it fails its save. This attitude adjustment is permanent. While attitude can still be improved, the diplomacy DC is calculated with the creatures new attitude, and the best possible attitude is however many degrees this made the subject's attitude drop by below Helpful
Rage Armor
Range: Personal
Target: You
Save: None
Duration: one round per level
Whenever an enemy attacks you, your AC is increased by 6 so long as at least one other creature that the attacker is hostile towards is withing 100 feet.

The first batch is up. More tiers and more techniques for this tier will follow later.
EDIT: The first tier is now finished (At least for now). The second tier will be put up tomorrow.
Annoying Rage Techniques
Overflowing Rage
Range: Medium
Duration: 2 rounds/level

The target's rage becomes overwhelmingly strong, manifesting as an ugly black-and-purple aura around the subject. Whenever the subject inflicts damage, the aura flares up, dealing half that damage back to the attacker AND THE TARGET OF HIS ATTACK. Rage lords most frequently use thisvtechnique on allies, especially barbarians and the like, or on enemies who have already succumbed to a blood frenzy.

Drynwyn
2011-05-03, 04:39 PM
Reserved for feats.

Drynwyn
2011-05-03, 07:03 PM
Reserved for Prc's. Posting may commence

Lateral
2011-05-03, 07:34 PM
Let's see. It's subject to exactly the same problem as the Shadowcaster- namely, it's got per-day abilities that run out insanely quickly. (You gave it one more rage technique over a shadowcaster's mysteries! NOT ENOUGH!) It's really front-loaded, too, and many of its abilities (besides mysteries and Aura of Dissonance) scale with CHA and not level- it would be an ungodly powerful dip for any blufflomancer, for instance (dear gods, Glibness). Aura of Dissonance's save DC doesn't scale well with level, so it's trivial at higher levels. It can also shaft your party, too. Reverse Diplomacy is reasonable, I guess, and is probably less powerful than normal Diplomancy. Incite Rage's usefulness is sharply limited, and has a pitiful number of uses/day. Code of the Ragelord is kind of pointless, and is just a shaft for the class, like a knight's oath. The Sweetest Syrup is...

...just plain stupid. I mean, what the hell?

You didn't come anywhere near tier 2, here. This is pretty bad, and is based on the most abusable skill ever. The class is weak, and its only power comes from a mechanic that was borked to begin with.

Drynwyn
2011-05-03, 08:09 PM
1. The Sweetest Syrup was mainly intended as a flavor ability. (The name is based off of "The sweetest syrup is the suffering of others.") SInce most DM's disregard food, it's not very important, but I liked the flavor (No pun intended).
2. On the topic of save DC's, the idea is that each "tier" is roughly equivalent to two spell levels. You have a point though... Perhaps I should change it to Chaos-Mage style calculation (1/2 level + Casting stat + 10).
3. Aura of dissonance.. I mistyped the save DC, thanks for catching that. I meant for it to be equal to highest save DC of any available rage technique ( I really need a better name for that)... Though if I change it to Chaos Mage saves, it won't matter. Yeah, let's use Chaos Mage DC's. Also, i think I should expand the Specific Exclusion clause.
4. You have a point about the front-heaviness. I was thinking of this as a class for a full 20, and didn't consider dip implications. Hmm... Perhaps Bluff only works for Reverse Diplomacy? Yes, I think I'll do that.
5. Per-day uses. You've got another good point here. What if I were to make each ability usable CHR mod- Tier number times per day? That would give a 20th level Ragelord, assuming a 30 CHR (Reasonable, given that it's pretty much the only important stat for them) 9 uses of each 1st tier, 8 2nd, 7 3rd,6 4th, and 5 5th.... Might be a few too many. Any suggestions on this?

Changes will be added to the first post.
This is the first base class I've built from the ground up. I've done fixes and PrC's, but never a full class.
Thanks for the PEACH!

Amechra
2011-06-01, 09:51 PM
third tier: Irksome <term>;Frustrating <term>.

Rage Techniques-> Unrests.

Drynwyn
2011-06-02, 07:32 PM
Thanks! As you noticed, I've been away from this for some time. However, given that school is now over, I will be able to resume it now. Tier 3 name, good. Infests is
O.K, but no quit what I'm looking for,
also: Not quite necromancy, I think. If it is, Mods, please don't lock, as I would like to come back to it.
@V: Excellent. Unrest production starts tomorrow, I plan on giving some of them quite a punch!

Lateral
2011-06-02, 08:46 PM
Not even close, don't worry.