PDA

View Full Version : Chuck: good piece of plot twisting or a bit of an .ss-pull??

dehro
2011-05-03, 05:51 PM
I'm talking about the last episode I've seen (not sure if it's the last shown, as I have to wait for..less forthight channels to watch it).. "chuck Vs agent X".

I just watched it and must say I didn't care much about the first half of it, and I'm not sure yet if I like the leading up to the plot twist, which is both cute and a bit hamfisted... that said, it may be because it's late and I'm tired, but I actually didn't see the "big reveal" coming... so was pleasantly surprised and can't wait to see what they're going to do with it in the last 2 episodes.
(the title of the final episode kinda worries me actually)

all in all, I'm still glad I watch the show.

opinions?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2011-05-03, 06:24 PM
I had an inkling during the first half of the ep whom Agent X was. It's one of those "Sympathy for the Devil" tropes that we all love.

Chuck is all about tropes, but in a good way. It is one of the best action and comedy shows on TV; of course they need to throw in some classic trope-age. Is that even a word?

I will say this too, Volkoffs mum was HILARIOUS. Casey's reactions were just perfectly Casey.

I also liked how they are finally letting Sarah be funny. Don't get me wrong, Ms. Strahovski is a good actress, but sometimes the character this season was rather wooden. Not "...Lake Naboo" wooden, but kinda emotionless. Her Boston/Jewish accent was totally hilariously bad.

Lord Seth
2011-05-03, 06:34 PM
Chuck hasn't been that interesting this season for the most part, and the ratings slippage shows it. The story with Chuck's mother wasn't that great, and I think Vivian was completely wasted--she had a lot of potential as a character, but then they just turned her into an extremely generic villain.

Ricky S
2011-05-05, 01:56 PM
Mediocre light hearted show. Its not great but worth a watch if you want something entertaining without being complicated. Great for watching late nights after your shift at work.

Salty
2011-05-05, 08:46 PM
Chuck hasn't been that interesting this season for the most part, and the ratings slippage shows it. The story with Chuck's mother wasn't that great, and I think Vivian was completely wasted--she had a lot of potential as a character, but then they just turned her into an extremely generic villain.

Agreed. I've been saying that Chuck would feel nice and whole if they cut out that bit at the end of season 3 and left it there. But then again, these last few episodes have been a bit better.

I liked Volkoff's original "alias," so I'm glad to hear that he isn't the mediocre villain he's been all season. Then again, I doubt we'll see much of him after his plot's resolved, so it isn't all that great anyway. Like you said, Vivian did seem really interesting, but they've dropped the ball there. And I've been opposed to Chuck's mother ever since it was revealed that she knew Chuck was wearing a vest when she shot him.

Dienekes
2011-05-05, 09:45 PM
I like Chuck. It's a fun little spy romp. But that said, it's best days are behind it.

Things I liked this episode:
Casey actually does something. Hurrah.
Twist was pretty good.
Old lady was great.
Casey's ending talk, brings back a small bit of the CIA as morally ambiguous you had in the first season. I'm willing to place a large stack of money they won't follow through with this though.
I'm glad they resolved the lying siblings subplot (can I even call it a subplot?) it just seemed tacked on. You already let Morgan in on the secret, I'm pretty sure Ellie was the only person in Burbank who didn't know Chuck was a spy.

Things that I felt could have been better:
Awesome. I like the character but he's gone from being an parody/inversion of a frat boy to a parody of himself being a parody of a frat boy. The whole Vegas thing was really a stretch. This made the beginning seem fairly drawn out.

As for the season on a whole. I like Volkoff as a villain, not as good as Roark but the best we've had since then. That said, he was at his finest in his first episode. Now I think they realize he's a fun character but don't know exactly what to do with him. However, even then he is fun to watch.

His daughter is a complete bore, has been since the introductory episode.

Blue Bandit
2011-05-05, 11:51 PM
I like Chuck. It's a fun little spy romp. But that said, it's best days are behind it.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Chuck has slowly turned into a show that I used to watch intently, into something I simply listen to while doing other things, like rolling up NPC's or surfing the web.

The tipping point for me was when Chuck finally quit the CIA and discovered his dad's hideout. I thought this was a great opportunity to show plot and character development while still giving Chuck the ability to play an integral role in the spy game. I was disappointed and slightly annoyed that this only lasted for 1 episode and then they suddenly brought him right back into the CIA like nothing had changed. For me, the entire plot just slid downhill from there, aside from Volkoff, whom I also rather liked as a villain.

Lord Seth
2011-05-06, 12:15 AM
His daughter is a complete bore, has been since the introductory episode.No, I think she was interesting at first. She did become a bore, though, after turning evil. Really, they could've had some random subordinate of Volkoff we never saw before take control of his business and be the new antagonist and there would've been no change. Like I said, I think her character was completely wasted potential.

Dienekes
2011-05-06, 12:30 AM
No, I think she was interesting at first. She did become a bore, though, after turning evil. Really, they could've had some random subordinate of Volkoff we never saw before take control of his business and be the new antagonist and there would've been no change. Like I said, I think her character was completely wasted potential.

Agree to disagree then. I never had an interest for her, even in Chuck vs the Masquerade (I think that was her introduction). Really, she was only interesting at all in that episode because of what I thought Volkoff had planned for her. Even then nothing about really caught my attention. Her whole fall from grace plot also feels rushed and boring. Though it did play a part in Chuck vs the Muuuuurder which I liked. Pointless episode, but fun. And as I said, I mostly see this show as a fun little time waster.

Doesn't hurt that I was a huge murder mystery fan when I was younger.

TFT
2011-05-10, 03:25 PM
So, the end of the last episode where

Warning, huge spoilers for the penultimate episode of chuck

Just making sure you actually want to click this!Sarah possibly may have been killed off

I didn't think they'd go there.

The_JJ
2011-05-10, 05:48 PM
Sneak peek has her in a coma but... DAYUM.

Not a bad job grabbing the emotions and tugging.

Triscuitable
2011-05-10, 09:19 PM
So, the end of the last episode where

Warning, huge spoilers for the penultimate episode of chuck

Just making sure you actually want to click this!Sarah possibly may have been killed off

I didn't think they'd go there.

They won't. Will they? The had the guts to... Really, this is a big spoiler from season 2!Break a branch of the Bartowski family tree.

If they do, I'm officially entering a state of ignorance to the show. They'll have Chuck grow a beard and eat Cheese Balls, like he did when another spy swept her off her feet. (Not naming any names here!)

MammonAzrael
2011-05-10, 10:13 PM
They won't. Will they? The had the guts to... Really, this is a big spoiler from season 2!Break a branch of the Bartowski family tree.

If they do, I'm officially entering a state of ignorance to the show. They'll have Chuck grow a beard and eat Cheese Balls, like he did when another spy swept her off her feet. (Not naming any names here!)

This is a discussion on the current season. I don't think spoilers are needed for previous seasons.

That said, Chuck's dad was not a main character. While he was Chuck's father, he was a plot character for the second season. He was not a huge support for Chuck, as he had been missing for years. On top of the fact that the preview for next week show's Sara mysteriously alive (I'm guessing resuscitation courtesy of Awesome and the fact that the Norseman as conveniently killed in a highly non-specific fashion), the mood and heart of Chuck does not allow for her to be killed off. They're more likely to kill off Casey or Morgan. And I highly doubt that because it would be too dark a move. Stephen was a safe second-string character that could be killed that wouldn't drastically affect the formula of the show while also having a valid emotional impact on the characters.

I agree that Chuck's best days are probably behind the show, but one thing I am grateful for is that the show hasn't refused to evolve. Chuck has grown more competent and his two lives have slowly merged together. He's been at this for years now, so it's only natural that things would change. I'm glad that they've gone with that evolution, instead of resisting it in an attempt to keep the same formula.

I agree that Vivian has been a wasted character. She was snubbed, and has gone off the deep end solely because she didn't get to speak with her father and blames Chuck for breaking his word. After being presented as a sane and rational character, it's just too much of a crazy jump. In addition to the other comments on her.

I like the twist that Volkoff is Agent X. While I don't think the show will do as much as they could with it, I think that it fits very well into the Chuck-verse. It helps to explain Stephen's obsession with the Intersect project, and an additional angle on the Volkoff focus. I look forward to seeing Alexi again, and how he will react (and if Ellie can cure him...or even if he wants to be cured).

Lord Seth
2011-05-11, 08:56 PM
Well, several sources are indicating that Chuck will be renewed. Nothing's official yet, though, so they could be wrong, but it is a positive sign.

dehro
2011-05-14, 09:16 PM
Well, several sources are indicating that Chuck will be renewed. Nothing's official yet, though, so they could be wrong, but it is a positive sign.

computer says yes! (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/13/chuck-nbc/)
and on that happy note, I finally got around watching ep. 23, and must say..well done.. a fairly bold decision to end it that way.. even though it means that most likely the oh so terrible ultimate weapon is going to turn out not to be so infallible after all

Lord Seth
2011-05-14, 09:23 PM
It looks like this is going to be its final season. I wonder if they'll be advertising it as such like they did with Monk and Smallville?

dehro
2011-05-15, 11:12 AM
I reckon hiding it would make little sense, now they've come out and said it openly
they might as well ride the wave

MammonAzrael
2011-05-17, 07:49 PM
Season finale:

I enjoyed it, lots of good wrap up. Enjoyed seeing Chuck still being awesome without the Intersect. The next season should certainly be interesting.

And Morgan with the Intersect? Huh...I don't know how to feel about that. And I wonder if those glass were one-time use or not.

Dienekes
2011-05-17, 10:11 PM
I'll admit I was worried when I saw it was titled Chuck vs the Cliffhanger.

Decent episode, I rather liked it. The main three got to shine rather well:
Casey got to be a badass, which is all we really want of him.
Sarah got to show some sickeningly sweet moments.
Chuck was clever even without the Intersect.

I genuinely liked how they wrapped up the wedding and Volkoff plots and I was actually interested in Vivian for once. Dalton was fun to watch, as normal.

On to next season. Well they mixed up the formula again, which I'm glad they do actually. This series is about insane spy works and whatnot but the show on a whole hasn't been afraid to change their formula within limits. Such as giving Chuck super powers, actually letting Chuck/Sarah relationship develop, and whatnot. Other than that, I'm more curious about Morgasect than excited. I wonder how he'll turn out.

dehro
2011-05-19, 05:10 AM
muahahahahahah

so, yeah..I saw the finale.

morgansect? hilarious..and yes, I'm curious too now.
surely I've not been the only one to totally call the final words of the series as soon as I saw the "sunglasses".

as for his "last trick up his sleeve"..I'd have pictured Chuck do something more in keeping with his "buymore-ish persona", something like for instance, walking in with a mobile phone from which he's required to send a code every couple of minutes, to stop an automated divulgation of the intersect and it's story towards every computer in the planet... kinda thing.
but I reckon, if you have access to russian special forces you might as well use those :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2011-05-19, 12:31 PM
I'm considering whether I should start a Sentinel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentinel_(TV_series))Vs Intersect thread

Salty
2011-05-19, 02:16 PM
Spoilers for finale.
I rather liked it. Most of the episode was pretty mediocre, but the ending gave me quite a bit of hope for the final season. I'm glad that they're back to addressing the plots of former seasons, and I'm hoping Morgan with the intersect will be reminiscent of earlier Chuck. I've got something to say as far as speculation goes, but I'll put it in another spoiler. As for the finale, though, I was kind of disappointed that they gave it such a happy ending, honestly. With the exception of Chuck's dad, nothing all that sad has ever really happened. And he was really my favorite character, so that particularly annoys me. :smallamused: But I wouldn't have been that bothered with them killing off Sarah. I don't feel that she's brought a whole lot to the show, lately, and her death would be far more meaningful than the wedding. The preview for the episode, which I usually avoid watching, had a scene of the wedding in it, though, so there wasn't much hope of that. Kind of killed a lot of the suspense.

Season 5 speculation.
There wasn't anything big, but I was thinking, or perhaps hoping, that they were hinting at a possible return for Chuck's dad. There was the obvious chuckle on behalf of the new villain when Chuck referenced his death, and there was also, which actually first prompted me to get the idea, Chuck using the catchphrase the actor used on Quantum Leap ("Oh boy") upon receiving the gift from Volkoff. Odds are it's just wishful thinking because I liked the character so much, but who knows? They've done worse.

dehro
2011-05-21, 10:36 AM
Season 5 speculation.
There wasn't anything big, but I was thinking, or perhaps hoping, that they were hinting at a possible return for Chuck's dad. There was the obvious chuckle on behalf of the new villain when Chuck referenced his death, and there was also, which actually first prompted me to get the idea, Chuck using the catchphrase the actor used on Quantum Leap ("Oh boy") upon receiving the gift from Volkoff. Odds are it's just wishful thinking because I liked the character so much, but who knows? They've done worse.

duh..I missed the quantum leap reference!

but no.. I think the chuckle was more a "like I care" chuckle than a "you don't know what you're talking about" chuckle, in that case

Triscuitable
2011-05-21, 09:39 PM
I just think that Chuck and Sarah now owning every last asset of Volkoff industries is awesome. Morgan, however, having the intersect, is not.

Talya
2011-05-21, 10:03 PM
Season 4 was the best season of Chuck so far. I had a hard time suffering through Season 1, but watched it on recommendations of my friends, wondering what they were smoking. Now I'm hooked, and it just keeps getting better.

Sadly, it was just renewed for a "fifth and final season of 13 episodes." I could stand to see a hell of a lot more.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-23, 12:43 AM
Wow. The ending of that finale. First off, nice little "Princess Bride" reference...

I loved the Morgansect twist. It made perfect sense that he'd pick up the glasses which had been left for Chuck, and he really deserves something like this. He's dorky, has such great hopes of greatness, and finally gets the chance to be awesome.

Plus, Chuck gets freedom from the Intersect.

Plus they're all rogue spies. This will be a great final season.

Triscuitable
2011-05-23, 07:53 PM
Chuck expressed that he enjoyed having the Intersect though. On the bright side, if they write this out as they should, this season will be just like the first, save that Chuck is a legitimately capable spy now.

If the Intersect has a "bleeding effect" per se like the Animus, Chuck probably still knows Kung-Fu.

dehro
2011-05-24, 07:16 AM
If the Intersect has a "bleeding effect" per se like the Animus, Chuck probably still knows Kung-Fu.

I don't think so... there are simply too many people walking around who have been, however briefly, intersects..and who would potentially have some skills and knowledge embedded..more trouble than it's worth

Triscuitable
2011-05-24, 07:57 PM
The fanbase is likely still going to cry their eyes out that Chuck no longer has the intersect. 5 bucks says that at some point next season (most likely the final line of the series) is the "[He] knows Kung-Fu."

Seriously, the chances are about as likely as the fanbases of Fantastic Four and Batman screaming at the writers for killing some very important characters in those series, and then bringing them back, because the fangirls won't be able to write any more fanfics including them.

That DID happen.