PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Prestige Class] The Individualist (PEACH)

RaggedAngel
2011-05-03, 09:07 PM
The Individualist

http://spyhunter007.com/Images/indiana_jones_wearing_his_hat.jpg

"The orcs, those slavering beasts, killed most and took the rest. I have never stopped hunting them after that night. I have not time to join your quest, young traveler. I do not need numbers to find my foes, nor do I need to be surrounded by allies to kill them. Leave me be." -Stark Orcbane, Individualist

An Individualist is any adventurer that works best by themselves. Individualists spurn the usual comforts of traveling with a group, relying only on their own durability and skill to protect them. They can be found in cities, forests, or dungeons alike, and they tend towards no one calling or vocation. The only constant among Individualists is their assertion that they need no help or aid; this usually stems from a powerful goal or calling that drives them. They can be rugged loners, or charismatic city-dwellers that simply prefer to go it alone.

Hit Die: d10

The Individualist
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Previous Class Features

1st| +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 |Outnumbered +1, Trapfinding, Improved Self-Sufficiency| +1 Level of Previous Class Feature

2nd| +1 | +3| +0 | +3 |Vital Surge, Die Hard|+1 Level of Previous Class Feature

3rd| +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 |Outnumbered +2, Greater Self-Sufficiency|+1 Level of Previous Class Feature

4th| +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 |Improved Vital Surge, Faster Healing|+1 Level of Previous Class Feature

5th| +3 | +4 | +1| +4 |Outnumbered +3, Indomitable|+1 Level of Previous Class Feature

[/table]

Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Self-Sufficient, Improved Initiative, Endurance
Skills: Knowledge(Dungeoneering or Local or Nature) 5 ranks, Listen 5 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks
Special: Must have completed an entire level without aid from any ally.

Class Skills (6+Int modifier per level): Balance, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Magic Device, Use Rope

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: An Individualist gains no proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Previous Class Features The Individualist continues to advance the signature features of the martial class or classes that he has levels in. Whenever he gains a level, he may have that level stack with a single class for the purposes of determining one of the following level-based class features: Fighter bonus feats, Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, Skirmish, Favored Enemy, Smite Evil, Rage. At the DM's discretion other abilities may be advanced, but the Individualist may only have his Individualist levels count towards one other class each. For example, a Fighter 3/ Rogue 2/ Individualist 4 may have 1 one his Individualist levels count towards Fighter and 3 towards Rogue, earning him 1 bonus feat and +2d6 Sneak Attack damage.

Outnumbered (ex): When an Individualist is outnumbered and outgunned he becomes more dangerous, using the number of his foes to his advantage. As long as he has more enemies than allies (including himself) in an encounter he gains a +1 insight bonus to his attack and damage rolls, AC, and saves. This bonus increases by 1 at third level and again at fifth level, to a total of +3.

Trapfinding (ex): Part of being alone is ensuring that you stay safe. The Individualist gains the trapfinding class feature, as a rogue. If he already has the trapfinding class feature then he receives a +5 bonus to his Search and Disable Device checks used to find and disable traps.

Improved Self-Sufficiency (ex): The Individualist develops the skills required to survive without a party as he progresses in the class. He receives a +1 insight bonus to Heal, Survival, Search, Listen, and Spot for every class level, to a maximum of +5 at fifth level.

Vital Surge (ex): An Individualist can enter a state of intense determination and vitality a few times per day. When he activates this ability as a swift action he gains Fast Healing 2 and begins healing damaged and drained ability scores at the rate of 1 per minute. He can activate this ability 3 times per day, and it lasts 1 minute per class level. At fourth level the healing rates double, to 4/round for hit points and 2/minute for ability scores. In addition, when an Individualist of fourth level or higher activates his Vital Surge he may choose to ignore any status condition that could be removed by a Heal spell for the duration of the Surge. If the condition has duration remaining after the Surge then he experiences its full effects when it ends.

Die Hard (ex): An Individualist learns to survive and continue to fight when most people would fall unconcious. He gains Die Hard as a bonus feat at second level.

Greater Self-Sufficiency (ex): As an Individualist gains experience he learns react instantly to the first signs of danger. He gains a +4 insight bonus to initiative, and a +2 insight bonus to saving throws. In addition he gains the Uncanny Dodge class feature, as a barbarian.

Faster Healing (ex): The Individualist’s Vital Surge ability begins to spill over into his normal healing and immune system. At fourth level he receives Faster Healing (CWpg.98) as a bonus feat.

Indomitable (ex): The Individualist eventually reaches the point where only sustained and massive effort can bring him down. At fifth level he gains Improved Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, and Mettle, as the barbarian, rogue, and hexblade class features.

DM's Note-
This prestige class is meant for characters in solo campaigns or in smaller parties. It is powerful, and it is meant to obviate the need for supportive party members such as healers or trapfinders. The class can work in a game with a larger party, but that is not what it is intended for. Additionally, it should be noted that Individualists make excellent NPC's.

Final Notes:
This is the first class I ever homebrewed, so I felt that it should be the first class I put up on OotS. I welcome any suggestion or advice, but I will note that while I love the Tome of Battle this class is meant to help Core melee classes. Tome of Battle and the various spellcasting classes are wonderful, but they don't need any more love.

Change Log:
5/7/11: Halved the bonus from Improved Self Sufficency. Removed some class skills. Changed Greater Self Sufficency to give a boost to initiative and saves instead of social skills. Lowered the Reflex save from good to bad.

Jukebox Hero
2011-05-07, 11:28 AM
First off, nice picture.
But this class is extremely overpowered (and yes, I did read the DM's note). If the goal of this class was for a self-sufficient character, healing abilities are required (you could replace the previous class features with some minor healing capabilities). Furthermore, the fact that this class grants the previous class features makes this class easily abusable. If taken by a character from the Tome of Battle, the character would become an unstoppable monster. The Improved Self Sufficiency class feature is a tad powerful, and maybe if you halved the bonus, it would be more suitable. In addition, the Greater Self Sufficiency class feature doesn't really fit. It provides bonuses to interaction skills, which completely goes against what seems to be the point of this class. The class seems to be geared towards a dungeon delver, or an adventurer on his own, and while I agree that these skills are nice for any character to have, they don't match what the theme of this class seems to be (as do some of the skills on the class skill list). And again, one could argue that some of these skills make sense for an individualist, but prestige classes are supposed to be themed, more focused than base classes, and this prestige class is simply too eclectic (in my opinion). Also, the Special prerequisite is a bit ridiculous and far too broad. Can you not even accept the slightest gratuity? And this makes the class nigh unusable for almost any character in a party. You could replace it with some sort of survival-based requirement.

ShiningStarling
2011-05-07, 11:49 AM
First off, nice picture.
But this class is extremely overpowered. etc.
I agree on both counts. This class is quite the power magnet. While it may be better suited for small groups, I think perhaps it should be further restricted to Tier 4s and below (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=c35gpvkj4clcolahk7hh14ff35&topic=5293). This would keep this wizard form getting on his polymorphed pebble-to-dragon with rocket boosters into the high planes to defeat deities even faster than he already does, since this class gives powers in addition to those already progressing.
On the other hand, if you pasted this spread out over low tier classes, they might become almost playable.
Nice work, this looks like a cool class.:smallsmile:

Imperial Psycho
2011-05-07, 12:14 PM
He does specify that only Fighter bonus feats, Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, Skirmish, Favored Enemy, Smite Evil & Rage are advanced, and anything else is at DM's discretion. These powers are not from the most powerful classes.

RaggedAngel
2011-05-07, 02:00 PM
First off, nice picture.
Thanks. :smallsmile:

But this class is extremely overpowered (and yes, I did read the DM's note).
Anything specific that's too strong, or is it too strong overall? I think I may drop the high Reflex save, for starters.

If the goal of this class was for a self-sufficient character, healing abilities are required (you could replace the previous class features with some minor healing capabilities).
Vital Surge/Improved Vital Surge/Faster Healing?

Furthermore, the fact that this class grants the previous class features makes this class easily abusable. If taken by a character from the Tome of Battle, the character would become an unstoppable monster.
"Whenever he gains a level, he may have that level stack with a single class for the purposes of determining one of the following level-based class features: Fighter bonus feats, Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, Skirmish, Favored Enemy, Smite Evil, Rage."

The Improved Self Sufficiency class feature is a tad powerful, and maybe if you halved the bonus, it would be more suitable.
Halving the bonus sounds good, and it is a tad powerful.

In addition, the Greater Self Sufficiency class feature doesn't really fit. It provides bonuses to interaction skills, which completely goes against what seems to be the point of this class. The class seems to be geared towards a dungeon delver, or an adventurer on his own, and while I agree that these skills are nice for any character to have, they don't match what the theme of this class seems to be (as do some of the skills on the class skill list). And again, one could argue that some of these skills make sense for an individualist, but prestige classes are supposed to be themed, more focused than base classes, and this prestige class is simply too eclectic (in my opinion).
Part of the problem here is that I'm trying to make an 'action hero' class, so that you can play someone like John McClain or Indiana Jones. However, I do think that the social boosts feel a bit tacked on, and I will be cutting those. Except Intimidate. I'm keeping that. :smallwink:

Also, the Special prerequisite is a bit ridiculous and far too broad. Can you not even accept the slightest gratuity? And this makes the class nigh unusable for almost any character in a party. You could replace it with some sort of survival-based requirement.
Hm. Any suggestions? I intended the Special prereq to be pretty difficult, to make entry into the class a bit more challenging.

chrisrawr
2011-05-07, 04:14 PM
Entry could involve defeating an encounter with a CR equal to your ECL by yourself, as well as the prerequisite of gaining a level on your own.

I personally find the class to be fairly balanced. Perhaps Improved Mettle and Improved Evasion while under the effects of his Vital Surge? The ability to simply ignore outside influence seems fairly in-flavor to me.

RaggedAngel
2011-05-08, 01:45 PM
Entry could involve defeating an encounter with a CR equal to your ECL by yourself, as well as the prerequisite of gaining a level on your own.

Hm. I would do it one way or another, personally, as it is a rather steep requirement. Defeating a single encounter that is your ECL or above is a pretty impressive feat for a Fighter/Rogue/Ranger/Barbarian etc.

I personally find the class to be fairly balanced. Perhaps Improved Mettle and Improved Evasion while under the effects of his Vital Surge? The ability to simply ignore outside influence seems fairly in-flavor to me.

Hm. I'm cautious to give out Improved Mettle, as that doesn't exist anywhere in official material, as far as I know. Improved Evasion, perhaps, but this is less of an evasive class than a mettle-esque one.

Jukebox Hero
2011-05-08, 09:52 PM
Be creative, give some ability that gives them some amount of temporary hit points, maybe if they're hit by more than two foes in the same round, they gain 3 temporary hit points. Good luck!