PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon World: Chosen Few IC

Pages : [1] 2

abadguy
2011-05-03, 10:11 PM
Yaaaaaarrrgghhhhhhhhhh!

A blood curdling scream from somewhere wakes you from your stupor.

Where am I? was the first thought that came to your mind.

And who are these people? was the next.

You find yourself in a rough hewn room, reminiscent of newly dug borders in this new world. The room measures 30 ft x 30ft. A torch clamped to the wall adorns the middle of each wall, with a closed gate on the fourth. Four other humanoids also lie on the floor, stirring awake as you are. The floor is somewhat smooth, and very cold. You shiver slightly as your bare skin touches the ...

Wait what?

You look frantically around yourself and realise you have only your clothing on you and nothing else. A quick search of your pockets turns up ... some lint and small folded slip of paper...

((Feel free to post up your first actions, reactions or introductions if you so incline))

Ninjabob
2011-05-03, 10:58 PM
George Blackadder sits up takes one look around and has no clue where he was.
Okay George, let's go through the checklist. All appendages still there... Check. My stuff here... Not check... Okay then well where am I? And who are these people?
George then lazily props himself up on one arm and says:
I don't mean to intrude upon you guys but it seems that we might be in a little trouble. He stands up and walks over to the gate and tries to look out of it. While walking, he puts his hands in his pockets out of habit. He stops and pulls out a piece of paper. He unfolds it and begins to read it.

abadguy
2011-05-03, 11:07 PM
((Posts with the character's name and spoilered are meant for that character's player to open only))

George Blackadder

Apprehensively, he opens the note and something falls out. The note is written in Common:

Welcome to Dungeon World!
I trust your stay with us will be full of interesting meetings.
Meanwhile, know your role!

The object that fell out is a simple lockpick.

sidelar
2011-05-03, 11:11 PM
Dewbim searches the room to see if he can learn more from the stonework

[roll0]

I added the +2 bonus from being a dwarf, wasn't certain if that should be applied here

"yeah, this does not look good, is everyone alright?"

abadguy
2011-05-03, 11:42 PM
Dewbim searches the room to see if he can learn more from the stonework

Dewbim

Natural 20! Bonus info!

The walls are indeed rough hewn, as though they were carved out no more than a week or two ago, judging from the stone dust still clinging to the ground and walls.

No secret compartments or loose pieces of rock as far as Dewbim can tell.

The torches don't seem particularly secure. Dewbim surmises if a strong enough effort were to be applied, they could be wenched off the walls.

Bonus: He finds a faint line of script scrawled into the dust on a corner of the room, almost invisible if not for his particularly keen dwarven eyes. The message is not in any language he knows. Looks like ... gnome? Terran? A runic script similar to Old Dwarven for sure.

Ninjabob
2011-05-04, 05:02 AM
Everybody check their pockets, you may like what you find there.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-04, 07:13 AM
Lian, a black haired gnome, opens quickly his blue eyes. Instinctively he looks for his lute to find out it is gone, like everything else.

He looks around, trying to understand who are the unlucky people in the room and where they are, and he checks in his pocket, like that guy is saying, then he tells him "I am Lian, who are you? Do you know why we are here?"

Spot check on the room and the people [roll0]

sidelar
2011-05-04, 09:24 AM
Dewbim pulls the paper out of his pocket and reads it.

Afterward hes says Anyone any good with languages? Theres something written on the wall over here, and I cant make out what language its in. He points out the writing he found to everyone.

davidlewing
2011-05-04, 09:57 AM
ugh... what..?
Tilenthon slowly stands, dusting his cloak as he does so. He reaches into his pocket and reads the note he finds there, then replies to Dewbim "I know a few languages. One moment I will be right there. My name is Tilenthon, by the way. Does anyone remember anything?"

I forgot to choose my languages, I guess I will do that now.
Spot Check for anything in the room: [roll0]

zyborg
2011-05-04, 01:45 PM
"Ugh..." Yagiru groans, "How was I supposed to know he had no sense of humor? Half my pranks always end up like this. Heheheh, least I had my fun." He looks around, and notices that he isn't alone. "What are you doing here?"

Hearing about checking his pockets, Yagiru proceeds to do so.

davidlewing
2011-05-04, 01:51 PM
Do you know how we got here? Who are you?

zyborg
2011-05-04, 01:55 PM
"I figured I was thrown in here by that thieving dwarf for the trick I pulled on him. Anyways, I'm the famous fool, genius jester, the greeeaaat..." A squeaking noise is heard from behind him, and a couple seconds later, the smell of rotten eggs could be detected by those standing near him "Er... I'm Yagiru Sendleson. Um... nice to meet you?"

Ninjabob
2011-05-04, 02:42 PM
Hey all. I'm George Blackadder. In my pocket was a note saying "Welcome to Dungeon World, I trust your stay with us will be full of interesting meetings. Meenwhile, know your role." Inside it was a lockpick. I assume that we all want to get out of here because I don't think I was the only one to hear that scream
He walks over to the door and tries to listen through it
[roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-04, 09:25 PM
Lian

You see the four others with you, 2 humans, a dwarf and another gnome. Nothing particularly curious.... except the room seems ... strange. Maybe some more observation is needed.

Your note reads:

The paper has dotted lines, seemingly inviting you to fold it.

Tilenthon Mirar
((You should only have a total of 5 languages: Common + 4 others from Int))

You do not recognise the writing at all.

Your note reads:

The paper seems to shimmer slightly and suddenly it is full of complex arcane writing .... on both sides.

Yagiru
Your note reads

An oddly shaped piece of gold was also in your pocket.

Ninjabob

As you listen out, you seem to hear very faintly the sound of heavy breathing. Your best estimate ... about 100 ft away

Ninjabob
2011-05-04, 09:36 PM
I hear something breathing heavily out of the door.
He turns around.
Its about 100 feet away.
He notices some have their papers out.
What did you guys get?

zyborg
2011-05-04, 09:44 PM
"I got gold! I'm rich! No, wait, I'm Yagiru. Anyways, I got a tiny bit of gold. Perfect for my holy symbol! What about the rest of you guys?"

Yagiru looks around to see if his equipment or anything useful is lying around, and to see where he is.
Search Check
Or is it Spot Check? [roll 1d20+3

zyborg
2011-05-04, 09:45 PM
I mean [roll0] for Spot check...

sidelar
2011-05-04, 09:52 PM
OOC

I think you missed me looking at my paper

abadguy
2011-05-04, 10:19 PM
Yagiru

A quick search around the room reveals nothing of interest. However, you do notice the room seems to be ... smaller than before.

Dewbim

Your note reads, oddly written in a childish script

All your equipment are belong to us
You have no chance to survive
Make your time.
You have precious little left

The note sudddenly pops! What seems to be a mace appears in your hand

You are now holding a light mace.

You all hear a loud popping noise and you see the dwarf holding a light mace in his hands.

Ninjabob
2011-05-04, 10:27 PM
Wow! George exclaims stepping back slightly. I feel slightly safer now. Who wants to go open that door?

zyborg
2011-05-04, 10:37 PM
Hmm, Yagiru thinks, I has me an idea...

DM: Ghost Sound behind Dewbim saying "Me!" [roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-04, 10:58 PM
Everyone hears a voice coming from Dewbim crying very enthusiastically "Me!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Dewbim

You wonder who or what it is ... you know for sure it is not you!

Lian

Whatever the voice is, you are sure it is not from Dewbim

George

Whatever the voice is, you are sure it is not from Dewbim

sidelar
2011-05-04, 11:31 PM
well...someone has to do it

Dewbim walks over to the gate and looks up and down the corridor to see if there is anyone nearby

Spot
[roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-04, 11:35 PM
When Dewbim looks outside, he sees not a corridor but what seems to be a large room. It is unlit but he is able to see quite clearly thanks to his dwarven darkvision. As he peers around, he does not see anything moving.

sidelar
2011-05-04, 11:48 PM
hmm, I don't see anyone out there. Lets see how strong this gate is.

Dewbim tries to push open the gate by force

attempt to push open the gate
[roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-04, 11:55 PM
The gate does not budge. It seems securely locked.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-05, 03:59 AM
Lian observes the room more carefully, something is not right, it is strange, and he wants to finds out. Meanwhile, he folds his paper following the dotted lines he sees on it.
We are not alone here? Whose voice was that?

Spot check again [roll0] and I don't know if I have to roll something else to fold the paper properly

abadguy
2011-05-05, 05:06 AM
After a few moments of observation, Lian still cannot see if there is a sixth person in the room, which is now noticeably smaller.

Following the handy numbered and dotted lines, the paper seems to take a life of its own, turning into something he recognises as a type of ektara.

He plucks it experimentally. It works, if a little soft.

Ninjabob
2011-05-05, 05:23 AM
Let's open door number one.

[roll0]

Snow Leopard
2011-05-05, 05:47 AM
Good. Things start setting in the right way, even if it is not my lute…

Lian approaches the gate, plucking the ektara.

It seems that this little paper turns into something useful to us. Someone took away our things and another one is helping us. Or they are the same person. Let’s go out and find out.

abadguy
2011-05-05, 05:52 AM
((Ninjabob, what are you doing exactly? You need to describe your actions instead of simply throwing random dice rolls at me which I don't know what they are for. Remember it is 'role playing' not 'roll playing'))

Ninjabob
2011-05-05, 06:29 AM
/ooc
He's unlocking the door.

davidlewing
2011-05-05, 08:08 AM
Tilenthon Mirar - Human Wizard

The only spell I thought I wouldn't need today was Read Magic. It turns out that is the first spell I do need. *grumble-grumble*

DM:
In the SRD it says that a human gets common and one bonus language. As a wizard, if I have a bonus language, it is automatically draconic. Maybe I misunderstood it though.
Human (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#humans):
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)
Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#wizard):
A wizard may substitute Draconic for one of the bonus languages available to the character because of her race.

And can I make a knowledge check on the scream we heard? If so... [roll0] I hate to force you to look through my sheet for the bonus, but I don't know which knowledge category it falls into.

After a few moments of observation, Lian still cannot see if there is a sixth person in the room, which is now noticeably smaller.

That is the room getting smaller?

And I will make a decipher script check ([roll1]) and spellcraft check ([roll2]) on the paper.

My paper appears to be some kind of magic scroll. I'm not sure, one moment...

zyborg
2011-05-05, 01:00 PM
"Sorry about volunteering you, Dew," Yagiru says, not looking sorry. "Like you said, someone had to check the door." He looks around, listening to everyone. After Dewim failed to force the door and Lian commented on the paper, Yagiru notes, "Huh. We're locked in a shrinky room, with most of our equipment missing, eh? And someone is helping us? Sounds like a puzzle challenge game to me."

davidlewing
2011-05-05, 01:44 PM
About the writing on the wall: what type of lettering is it? And can I make a Decipher Script check on it? [roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-05, 08:46 PM
Tilenthon Mirar
((Humans get Common automatically only. Bonus Languages: Any mean they can choose any kind of bonus language instead of being restricted to a list like most other races. You only get bonus languages from a high Int score. Wizards don't get Draconic automatically, it just means that they may add Draconic to the list of bonus languages they can choose from besides those available from his race. Moot if you're human already))

The scream sounds like every other generic scream you know.

The room is now visibly smaller. Make a Spot check to see if you observe something else.

You recognise the mini-scroll to be that of a Knock spell.

You also do not recognise the writing that Dewbim pointed out. Looks somewhat dwarven?

Meanwhile, George is fiddling with the lock on the gate but to no avail ...

There is a faint grinding noise from all around you.

davidlewing
2011-05-05, 09:56 PM
DM:
I will got rid of celestial then, can I memorize the look of the runes to write them down later?

Spot check on the room. [roll0]

zyborg
2011-05-05, 10:03 PM
"Something doesn't seem right," Yagiru says. "I think the room is shrinking..." He doesn't seem too worried about it. In fact, he's grinning, as if he finds the situation humorous.

DM:Spot Check: [roll0]

Ninjabob
2011-05-05, 10:09 PM
George steps back from his lockpicking and looks around, pulling out the pick.
Strange He says, looking around for another way to get out.

/ooc
what is the gate made of. Could I use a torch to burn it?

abadguy
2011-05-05, 10:09 PM
Tilenthon Mirar

Yes you can certainly try to memorise them... if you have enough time. It will take about a minute (10 rounds)

Yagiru

As he peers into the dim light shed by the torches, the walls are definitely moving in and ...

Small holes open on the faces of the walls. Something shiny and sharp is slowly emerging from them....

A sense of grim foreboding grips you.

zyborg
2011-05-05, 10:30 PM
"Uh, okay guys," the Gnome Cleric Yagiru says calmly, "I believe it is time to get out of here so we don't get impaled by the closing spiked walls..."

((OOC) Oops, I messed up. I prepared healing spells, when I didn't need to... sorry about not optomizing my choices, fellow players...)

sidelar
2011-05-05, 11:29 PM
"Anyone else got something that could open this gate? I'd rather not get too many holes in me today."

Dewbim looks at the stone around the gate, to see if there is a weak point or a loose stone he could use

search
[roll0]

Snow Leopard
2011-05-06, 01:08 AM
Zyborg do not worry, we are here to learn, by the way I am looking in my stuffs to find something that could help, I thought about usingcountersong (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#countersong), but this is not a sound illusion and i cannot inspire competence in George because I am not 3rd level :smallfrown:
George, try again to open the gate with the lockpick, let's check again what we got in our pocket and try to use it against this gate. Time is running out.

DM:
newbie question, if we are under the effect of, let's say, an illusion, do I have to say that I want to do a saving throw or the DM does it for me? As far as I know, I remember the second one :smallsmile:

DM2:
I check the gate again if I find something that feels strange and could help us in opening it 1d20+2 P.S. I got 11 on the dice roller online, I messed the roll editing the post :smalltongue:

davidlewing
2011-05-06, 01:55 AM
Sorry, I didn't see it at first. My note appears to be a scroll which will open this door. One moment and I will activate it.

Tilenthon stands in front of the door and invokes the necessary syllables to activate the scroll.

There, try the door again. It should open now.

Tilenthon then walks back to the wall with the runes and studies them, right index finger drawing the symbols in the air by his side. He remains otherwise motionless, until the walls draw too close and he must leave.

Ninjabob
2011-05-06, 05:03 AM
George tries to pick the gate again.
Come on you stupid lock, open!

[roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-06, 05:48 AM
Dewbim searches carefully but finds no weakness in the gate. It is pretty well built and solid as gates should be.

((Snow Leopard: with most illusions, when you interact with it, you get a DM rolled saving throw. Nothing stops you from doing the "I disbelieve the ...." thing either))

Tilenthon the Wizard appears to waves his hand about but the door remains locked ((You need to do a Spellcraft check to activate a scroll)). Frustrated, George puts in a bit more finesse and the lock of the gate unlocks with a satisfying *schnick*! Unfortunately, his lockpick breaks off at the gate, rendering it no better than a metal toothpick.

The gate swings open into utter darkness.... faint luminescence indicate the presence of walls around, but not much else.

Ninjabob
2011-05-06, 06:26 AM
Dang! There goes my use.
He steps out of the room and listens for the breathing he heard earlier.
[roll0]

sidelar
2011-05-06, 07:45 AM
" I guess since im the only one with the weapon I should lead the way. Also someone may want to grab a torch for those of us without darkvison."

Dewbim walks out into the large room trying to remain quiet, he searches the room looking for anything moving

move silently
[roll0]

spot
[roll1]

davidlewing
2011-05-06, 07:51 AM
DM:
Couldn't you have done the roll for me?

abadguy
2011-05-06, 08:43 AM
davidlewing

You should do active rolls (like using a scroll, casting defensively etc.) This is a learning game after all so I'm trying to run the gamut of whatever a wizard needs to do.

Dewbim takes a cautious step outside of the rapidly shrinking room. Sharp spikes can be seen slowly protruding from the walls of the cell. He looks around and doesn't seem much of interest within the range of his darkvision, save that he knows this new area is a large hall of some sort.

George perks up his ears and ...

The breathing is still there. Very faint and ragged. If it weren't for the fact that the hall was deathly quiet save for the breathing of your erstwhile cellmates and the soft grinding noise from the closing cell walls, you would not have noticed it at all.

davidlewing
2011-05-06, 09:00 AM
DM:
I meant, since I had messed up and forgotten the roll. Since Tilenthon knew how to use a scroll he wouldn't have messed up. I guess its not a big deal though, I'll remember in the future. I will still have Tilenthon try to memorize the runes as before, unless something has changed.

zyborg
2011-05-06, 09:52 AM
"Finally," Yagiru sighs. "It was starting to get a bit cramped in here." He walks out of the door, into the hallway. "Light? Not a problem, hold on... LIGHT!" As he says this, he thrusts his hand out, channeling divine energy...

DM: Casting Light... Am I supposed to roll?

Ninjabob
2011-05-06, 02:57 PM
George says "I heard breathing ahead. I will go ahead and check it out.

MS [roll0]
Hide[roll1]

abadguy
2011-05-07, 05:24 AM
George moves ahead into the darkness and once out about 30 ft from the cell, he starts to stumble about as he is effectively blind. Dewbim sees the human clearly, tripping over his own feet as he negotiates the dark.

George

You cannot see anything ahead, only the light from the cell behind you and about 20ft beyond

((zyborg: you have to cast it on an object))

zyborg
2011-05-07, 09:42 AM
Suddenly, if Yagiru's spell was successful, Yagiru's gold nugget necklace will start floating, and then feal back while shining like a torch.

Cast [light] on Holy Symbol

sidelar
2011-05-07, 09:48 AM
Dewbim walks further out into the room, looking for any doors or exits out of the room

search
[roll]1d20+5[roll]

sidelar
2011-05-07, 09:51 AM
fixed roll

[roll0]

Ninjabob
2011-05-07, 09:56 AM
George returns to the group of people and one of the below:
If the room can be enteredRun inside and grab a torch(more if he has time) and returns outside
If the room can't be enteredIts really dark out there, I can't see anything. .He stays with the group, trying to hide his embaressment

Snow Leopard
2011-05-07, 05:39 PM
That was close says Lian, which is relieved for not being almost killed in a dark shrinking room.

The gnome bard walks in the middle of the group and concentrates on his ektara

DMcast light on the ektara

By the way, some of you knows why we are here? The last thing I remember it is me in a tavern drinking (a lot) and singing a ballad.

abadguy
2011-05-08, 09:07 PM
George manages to grab a torch from a sconce just as the room becomes a virtual iron maiden. As he waves his torch about, aided by the light from Yagiru's holy symbol he notices the hall they are now in is big, so big that the light from the torches do not reach the walls.

Lian concentrates on the spell .... but it fails as she realises she does not have the correct material component for her spell. She immediately releases the energy from the spell back into her body. ((Yagiru only needed his holy symbol, arcane casters need the material component))

Meanwhile Dewbim walks away from the group, searching, searching .... he finds a door. He is about 60 feet away from it. Behind him is the group, visible only because of the torches and magical light they carry.

sidelar
2011-05-08, 09:15 PM
Dewbim yells back to the group " Hey, I've found a door over here. Hopefully it leads out"

While Dewbim waits for the group to catch up to him, he continues to scan what he can see of the room for any creatures or other people

spot
[roll0]

zyborg
2011-05-08, 09:23 PM
Yagiru follows Dewbim. "Do you think my Light is helping at all? Hard to tell, how well non-dark-seeing-type-people-guys see, right? No hard feelings about that joke, right?" Yagiru extends his right hand upwards, attempting to shake Dewbim's hand.

Ninjabob
2011-05-08, 09:24 PM
George runs over to Dewbim and says I heard breathing earlier, you should probably stay silent.

After that he listens for the breathing again
[roll0]

davidlewing
2011-05-08, 09:31 PM
Did I manage to memorize the runes?

Tilenthon follows, listening for the breathing as well. He places the scroll in one of his vest pockets.

davidlewing
2011-05-08, 09:33 PM
[roll0]
forgot the listen check roll

abadguy
2011-05-08, 10:58 PM
((Tilenthon: We'll make an Int check when you decide to recall them or describe them to someone.))

George can hear the breathing more audibly now. He is with Dewbim, 60ft from the door that the dwarf described. The breathing is off to the left.

Tilenthon's ears as not as sharp. All he hears are the breathing of his companions around him.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-09, 12:38 AM
DM
From the SRD:
A material component is one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. Unless a cost is given for a material component, the cost is negligible. Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.

Forgive my ignorance :smallredface:, If I understood, I need my spell component pouch, because the spell description (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/light.htm) doesn't specify a particular component. If I only need it, I forgot to include it in my sheet :smallredface:. (I know that now I have only my ektara)

abadguy
2011-05-09, 12:53 AM
Snow Leopard

No worries about the ignorance. I'm putting all of you through all the common problem areas of the game so you all have a better understanding of what goes for D&D 3.5e

What the SRD means is this: Unless the material described in the Material Component of the spell has a listed cost (e.g Restoration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/restoration.htm), where you need 100GP of diamond dust to cast it) assume you do not need to describe the component in your inventory as long as you have a spell component pouch. You will need to spend some GP once in a while to refill your pouch, or by looting enemy arcane caster's pouches.

Under the Light spell description, you do indeed need an arcane spell component (under Components: V (for verbal), M/DF (material or divine focus) as you're casting it as an Arcane spell, as opposed to Yagiru who casted it as a divine spell, so he only needs his holy symbol.

And yes, as you only have your clothes and what was given to you from the start i.e no spell component pouch, you are unable to cast the spell for now. You are limited to spells with V, S components only.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-09, 02:43 AM
Damn, I forgot I don’t have my pouch

Lian feels a bit embarrassed for not being able to help his companion with a bit more light;he approaches the door too, but he keeps back to allow George to open the door.
This door could lead out or to this breath, or to both of them. It is better to be careful. If it is locked, George, can you open this door too?

Ninjabob
2011-05-09, 12:58 PM
If the breathing is in the room:
George follows it until the source is visible

If the breathing is through the door:
He opens the door. If it is locked he opens the lock [roll0] - whatever it is for having a broken pick

davidlewing
2011-05-09, 02:12 PM
Tilenthon whispers to George. If the door is locked I can use my scroll to release it. My mind is clearer now and I should have no problem with the casting. Unless you think we might need it later...

abadguy
2011-05-10, 06:02 AM
George follows the breathing sounds .... and finds a man slumped in a corner. A knife protrudes from his abdomen, a large pool of blood beneath him ... it seems he may not have much time left...

Snow Leopard
2011-05-10, 07:40 AM
Lian follows George and spots the man. He is torn between helping the man and taking a defending position against the owner of that knife.
In the end he takes a side position, in order to see the man and the rest of the room.

“Look out! This could be a trap!”, Lian says to his companions
“Can you hear me? Who are you? Who did this to you?”, addressing the slumped man
“Yarugi, can we help him? He might know something!”

I suppose if the man is conscious I could do a diplomacy check [roll0]

zyborg
2011-05-10, 09:59 AM
"Do something, eh? I might have something..." Yagiru looks quite mischevious, and it seems unlikely that whatever he is about to do is good. However, he then casts a healing spell on the dying man. "Hope that helps slow things down. The knife has to come out, though."

Not sure what I have to roll, but I cast Cure Light Wounds on Mr. McStabb

Ninjabob
2011-05-10, 02:29 PM
George Retrieves the knife from the man's chest, and wipes it on his own clothing. He heads over to the door and tries to listen through it.

[roll0]

sidelar
2011-05-10, 05:37 PM
Dewbim walks over to the man

If the man needs more help Dewbim rips of part of his shirt to use as a bandage

heal - first aid
[roll0]

Dewbim asks the man "do you know where we are, or why we're here?"

abadguy
2011-05-11, 05:42 AM
As Yagiru crouches next to the dying man and prepares to cast the spell, his eyes suddenly flare open and he grabs hold of the gnome's wrist. "Traitors ... beware ... help one another ... patterns shift to the right...." He gurgles as a fresh gout of blood flows from his mouth, drowning out his last words. He collapses, unmoving at Yagiru's feet.

Meanwhile, George unceremoniously yanks the knife from the chest and wipes the blood on his clothing. He puts his ear to the solid wooden door and...

... hears no sound of movement beyond.

sidelar
2011-05-11, 05:17 PM
"Well, whoever or whatever put us here are not messing around. Lets get out of here as quickly as we can, follow me everyone"

Dewbim walks over to the door and opens it, moving quietly through the door into whatever is beyond.

MS
[roll0]

davidlewing
2011-05-11, 06:34 PM
Tilenthon follows through the door, pulling his sleeves up to be ready to cast magic at a moment's notice. He tries to walk quietly and is proud at the silence he achieves. Your scrawny son can walk carefully when it matters, see father?
[roll0] Move Silently check

Ninjabob
2011-05-11, 08:13 PM
George takes a deep breath in, Here we go he murmers, walking through the door.

If it is locked [roll0] -whatever it is for no tools

abadguy
2011-05-11, 10:50 PM
The door's lock opens readily with an audible "schnick" to George's nimble fingers, despite the broken lock pick.

He tries to open the door, pushing and pulling. He puts his shoulders into it, bracing himself against it but....

It seems stuck.

Meanwhile....

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

George and Lian's keen ears hear something a ways beyond the door, like a rumbling of sorts. Lian's gnomish upbringing recognises it as moving gears.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-12, 03:28 AM
Hearing the moving gears makes Lian stops suddenly, he grab the one in front of him to try pulling him back

“It suspects we triggered a trap! Don’t enter and stay back until one of us understands what is going on!”

Lian takes position on one side, fearing that something pointy, burning or poisoning (or the three of them together) could come out of it

Ninjabob
2011-05-12, 04:58 AM
George looks at the lock more closely, before moving to the side of the door.

rolling for listen [roll0]
and spot[roll1]

Edit:OOCwow. nat 20. If I don't hear anything more clearly, I am going to hurt somebody.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-12, 05:10 AM
DM:
I forgot to roll a listen check to try to recognize more [roll0] :smalltongue:

abadguy
2011-05-12, 06:12 AM
The rest of the group looks curiously on as George and Lian press even closer to hear, straining to hear what is beyond.

((Btw for skill checks, nat. 20s are not auto-successes, you still need to beat the DCs. Only for saving throws and attack rolls are 20s considered auto-success and 1s as auto fail))

George hears...

((If you wish to search for traps, you will need to do a Search check))

a rumbling sound from beyond the door. He knows for certain whatever is making the noises are not near the door, probably about 60-80ft away from the door. It sounds to him like a clock moving.

He doesn't notice anything special about the door. It looks like a normal solid oak door.

Lian hears...

Definitely gears. But not behind the door, much further away. Sounds like a mechanism to move something into place. Something heavy or maybe something long from the sounds of it.

zyborg
2011-05-12, 11:58 AM
"Did that dead guy trigger a trap," Yagiru asks stupidly. "That's not very nice. You need me to check it out? Or stay back in case someone needs healing?"

Ninjabob
2011-05-12, 02:28 PM
George takes a closer look at the door, examining it for traps while saying I hear what sounds like a clock, we might only have so long to do this, whatever it is.

search [roll0]

Snow Leopard
2011-05-12, 03:05 PM
Lian, always taking the side of the door, alerts his companions about what he heard:
“There’s definitely something not exactly behind that door, but further away. It is some sort of heavy mechanism, which is moving. We should check before going further”

davidlewing
2011-05-12, 07:42 PM
I still have my scroll. The spell on it should open the door regardless of what is holding it closed. Should I use it or do you want to try something else?

Can I make a spellcraft check if I don't know for certain that there is magic? If so I will make one on the door: [roll0]
Is there a knowledge check I can make on it? Maybe architecture: [roll1]

abadguy
2011-05-12, 09:17 PM
George searches and finds no mechanism indicating a trap. The door does seem quite firmly closed, as though jammed against the frame.

((Tilenthon, you cannot Spellcraft something if you cannot see/hear the effect to determine if it is magical. You will need to cast detect magic in a case like this))

Tilenthon's knowledge of architecture is scanty at best but from his inspection of the door and frame and unlocked lock.... it could be just stuck. He surmises the door should given a strong enough push.

davidlewing
2011-05-12, 09:42 PM
It seems, though, that we can just push it open. I think we should try that before expending my scroll. We may need it later to... get out of wherever we are. Maybe if several of us push on it, though I don't think I will be much help there. What do you guys think?

Ninjabob
2011-05-12, 09:49 PM
Agreed. I will try push it open.

strength check [roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-12, 10:06 PM
George heaves against the door .... to no avail. It seems quite firmly stuck. Perhaps if he had some help (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#aidAnother) because he does seem to have alot of time (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#taking10)

davidlewing
2011-05-12, 10:14 PM
Anybody else want to help? Tilenthon says as he leans down against the door.

I don't suppose we can assume that everyone that can will help with this? Do they actually need to post up here?

In the Aid Another section it says only a limited number of people may be able to help. Since this is a door I assume that will apply in this case, if others will help Tilenthon will get out of the way so that they have room. The -1 strength modifier doesn't help much here...

Do I roll a strength check?

Aid Another: [roll0]

Strength Check (just in case): [roll1]

EDIT: If you were saying that I can take ten then I will do that for my strength check.

zyborg
2011-05-12, 10:16 PM
Yagiru looks at George, then Tilen, then back at George. He scratches his head, then begins to speak. "Um... question. Has anybody tried knocking?"

He then shrugs and gets serious. He leans his weight on wherever he can, and attempts to push with all his strength.

1d20

zyborg
2011-05-12, 10:20 PM
[roll0] uh... hope this works...

abadguy
2011-05-12, 11:05 PM
Tilenthon

I will allow everyone to help as the door is quite large and there are two Small sized gnomes "helping"

Anyone who makes the strength check to Aid Another (DC 10) will add a +2 to the "main" guy doing the pushing (either Dewbim or George)

Yagiru

Are you trying to push by yourself or helping George?

zyborg
2011-05-12, 11:06 PM
DM: Trying to help.

sidelar
2011-05-13, 12:03 AM
Dewbim helps push open the door as well

[roll0]

Snow Leopard
2011-05-13, 05:30 AM
Lian put his ektara on his back and helps the others to push the door, even if he is quite small compared to his companions.
"We can do it if we work together"
DMif I have a lot of time, I assume I take 20, so I don't have to roll, do I? If I have to perform a strength check, here it is [roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-18, 04:29 AM
With a combined effort, the motley group manage to get the door open and the light that floods the room is a welcome relief from the darkness of the previous room.

The group fans out and enters what seems to be a much smaller room. It measure about 50 by 50 ft. Torches line the walls. From where you stand, you can see the following:

- 3 torches on walls to the left and right
- two doors on the opposite walls to the extreme left and right
- What seems to be a table about 30 ft from where you are.
- A humanoid-looking thing standing motionless behind the table

The most eye catching feature of the room is a tapestry that stretches between the doors:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/abadguy/What.jpg

Ninjabob
2011-05-18, 09:13 AM
George looks at the tapestry and says to his companions "I don't suppose that you guys happen to have any idea what that is? Or who or what that thing is by the table? Here, lets see if its alive."
He turns to the figure and says"Hello in there. You awake?

Snow Leopard
2011-05-18, 01:27 PM
Lian gives a look at the room. When he entered, the light gave him relief and confidence, the strange tapestry and the humanoid figure keep him on edge but amused.

"Dice, cards and coin, do you want to play with us strange figure?"

abadguy
2011-05-18, 11:03 PM
As Lian and George approach, they can see the figure better. It is humanoid-shaped, but seems to be made out of stone. The face is remarkably life-like, finely chiseled of indeterminate gender. Its eyes are closed. The table is like-wise made of stone, with four thick stone legs. It seems to be stuck to the ground, which George sees that there is a faint rectangular outline on the ground under the table.

There are 3 circles, 8ft in diametre carved into the ground in a line, each spaced 5 ft apart and about 10 ft from the table...

Ninjabob
2011-05-19, 05:42 AM
Nobody touch anything... At least until I check it out. George heads over towards the circles, looking for anything strange about them.

search check this time [roll0]

abadguy
2011-05-19, 08:40 PM
George's excellent search skills lead him to believe the "circles" are indeed mechanisms to activate something .... but he is fairly certain it is not traps.

zyborg
2011-05-19, 09:50 PM
Yagiru puts his hand on one of the circles. "I'll help," he says excitedly. "This looks useful!"

Ninjabob
2011-05-19, 09:59 PM
I am guessing something happens if you stand in all 3 circles. If you don't mind, I'll just stand over here... George says, stepping back into the doorway.

abadguy
2011-05-19, 10:40 PM
Yagiru puts his hand on the circle on the floor and it depresses slightly into the ground. The dice on the tapestry seems to glow a little. He surmises that standing on the circle (more like a stone tile) would put more weight on it and activating whatever seems to need activating.

sidelar
2011-05-19, 10:59 PM
Dewbim says "Well,here goes nothing."
He stands moves over and stands on the middle circle.

abadguy
2011-05-20, 01:32 AM
As Dewbim stands on the circle, it sinks under his weight and the cards on the tapestry glow with a yellow light. The humanoid figure seems to jerk into activity. Its downcast head moves up with a slight grinding noise to face Dewbim directly although its eyes remain closed.

The arms, previously resting by its side rise slowly and one finger extends, each pointing to the other two circles flanking Dewbim.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-20, 02:33 AM
"Ok, I will help Yarugi with that one, even if I am not an half-orc" says Lian, standing over the circle Yarugi just pressed

davidlewing
2011-05-20, 06:38 PM
Oh strange! I wonder how it works...

Knowledge (architecture) on the circles/activation plates: [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana) on the statue: [roll1]
and the activation plates: [roll2]
and the tapestry: [roll3]
Spellcraft on the statue: [roll4]
and the activation plates: [roll5]

I wasn't sure what roll to do, so I did several :smallredface: If I still didn't manage to make the correct checks, could you tell me which one to do?
I think I would rather sit out on this experiment guys. Like Lian said, I'm no half-orc.

abadguy
2011-05-23, 12:13 AM
Tilenthon
I can't tell you what checks to make unless it is something happening to you directly (for e.g saving throw, caster level check), you have to make your own logical deductions but in any case, these checks are basically the result of you investigating the various things in the roo.

Knowledge (architecture) on the circles/activation plates: they seem to be connected to some sort of machinery within the room. These are quite common in dungeons as a means of accessing another area.
Knowledge (arcana) on the statue: it looks like a golem.
and the activation plates: nothing seems magical about them
and the tapestry: seems like an enchanted tapestry, usually seen in a wizard's abode as a way of "wow-ing" visitors.

Spellcraft on the statue: from what you observe from the statue activating and responding to the stimuli of the plates, you conclude that it is highly possible that this is a golem, tasked to respond when the 3 "activation plates" have been stepped on.
and the activation plates: nothing seems magical about them

Tilenthon goes poking around the statue, tapestry and the plates below.

George
As George moves nearer back to the doorway, he feels himself step on something and it swings shut. There is a faint whistling noise as it closes.

davidlewing
2011-05-23, 09:15 AM
DM:
The circles are not magical but they are look like what is commonly used to get to other parts of the dungeon. So elevators maybe?

Well, that statue looks a lot like a golem. It was obviously ordered to do something when these circles are activated, who knows what though. I am not entirely sure what the circles themselves do though. Seems they are meant for some kind of transportation, though they are not magical. And the tapestry, as far as I can tell, is just a pretty light show. Tilenthon looks toward the ceiling for any holes or seams directly above the circles.

Search check at the ceiling: [roll0]

zyborg
2011-05-23, 10:19 AM
Yagiru sees the tapestry lighting up and his grin slightly grows. "Hmm, interesting." He then removes his hand from the circle once Lian stands on it. He then moves to the unpressed button and attempts to stand on it.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-23, 10:23 AM
Lian is a bit confused: “So Tilenthon I am sitting on something that could bring me somewhere else in a non magical way and at the same time I can activate that thing? Maybe we should check the two doors before doing anything (and in order to see if we have an escape route)”

davidlewing
2011-05-23, 12:02 PM
Yagiru, wait. I agree with Lian, we should check what else is in the room before we use these things. I think they simply raise or lower to another level, but since we don't know how to control them, we may be unable to come back. And we don't know if they will come back to get the rest of us either, we may get permanently seperated.

I am going to check the left door. Tilenthon walks over to the door and gently turns the handle, trying to be as quiet as possible.

I am just checking to see if it is locked right now.

Ninjabob
2011-05-23, 02:19 PM
George stops, turns on his heel and says Looks like the way back is cut off. Let me check these doors.

search check[roll0]
[roll1]

abadguy
2011-05-24, 02:13 AM
Tilenthon

They seem more like objects you press for something to get moving, not so much like "elevators"

Your visual inspection of the ceiling above the floor plates reveal nothing out of the ordinary.

Tilenthon and George work together, each inspecting the doors to the left and right. Upon closer examination, they realise the "doors" have no handles or hinges. George first glance at his door reveals nothing further, save that the door is wooden and very smooth, like it was worn smooth by a rough surface.

Meanwhile, Lian and Dewbim are still standing on the circle that just about cover their feet. Yagiru is standing just before the last circle on the right before he was stopped by Tilenthon.

davidlewing
2011-05-24, 08:00 AM
DM:
Ah... they will open a door, wall, trapdoor, etc. then? Hmm... gotta somehow re-explain this to everyone else...

Well, thats strange. These doors have no handles. I wonder... Tilenthon walks over to the circles and stares at them, brow furrowed. He glances at the ceiling again before finally speaking. I believe I have confused things. It does not appear that these plates could extend into the ceiling as there are no holes or hatches that they could pass through. Also, if these plates took their passengers out of the room what purpose would there be in activating the golem? After seeing these doors, which have no handles, I believe that the plates are actually intended to open them. There are several, common, types of plates seen in dungeons which work on somewhat similar principals. It has been a long time since I had read about these and the text was rather dull and difficult to understand. So, to sum this up. It should be safe for you to step on the final circle, Yagiru. I think.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-24, 09:10 AM
Lian is still a bit confused, but Tilenthon convinced him. "So I will stay on this circle to help Yarugi in pressing him. Let's see what happens (and be prepared), I would keep an eye on the golem anyway"

zyborg
2011-05-24, 09:21 AM
Yagiru walks onto the strange final circle and waits. "So," he asks, "anything happening?"

abadguy
2011-05-24, 11:02 PM
Tilenthon

That is about the extent of your knowledge from your past experience. You have not come across anything like this before, what you have concluded is a result of your logical reasoning. No matter you will see what happens next.

As soon as Yagiru steps on the circle, there is a deep grinding sound coming from the table. The golem seems to come to life as it snaps out of the frozen position is was in earlier. The face, amazingly life-like, stretches and twists, the eyes snap open and looks at its hands and legs and begins doing a curious series of what is best described as 'golem calisthenics', replete with grinding noises.

"AH! THAT FEELS SO MUCH BETTER." It finally seems to notice all of you.

"OH HELLO, I SUPPOSE YOU ARE THE ONES WHO RE-ACTIVATED ME. SPRIGHTLY LOOKING BUNCH! SO, ARE ALL OF YOU WONDERING WHAT IN THE NAME OF PELOR IS GOING ON?" The golem says with an uncharacteristic twinkle of the eye.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-25, 05:02 AM
I knew it. Let's see if this golem can be of some use for us...

"Exactly. You are smart. Some insights on what is going on are welcome" says Lian, leaving the circle and trying to reach a position that allows him to give a better look at the golem.

abadguy
2011-05-25, 05:38 AM
"NOT SO MUCH SMART AS GIVEN SENTIENCE BY MY CREATOR. BUT ANYHOW..."
It reaches under the table and seems to press something. The grinding noise from the table stops and three cubes emerge seamlessly from the table top.

The golem opens the cubes (from your individual observation, they seem to be made of stone with hinges), revealing a pair of gem-studded six sided dice, a pack of shiny, metallic-looking playing cards and two golden coins.

"EACH OF YOU COME FROM DIFFERENT PLACES, DIFFERENT PROFESSIONS, DIFFERENT ORIGINS. BUT EACH OF YOU WERE CHOSEN, WILLINGLY OR UNWILLINGLY, TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS ... " It sweeps his arms around the room with a flourish. "... KNOWN COLLOQUIALLY AS THE CRAWL, BUILT AND SANCTIONED BY THE GAMBLER'S GUILD, THE BEST GUILD IN ALL OF DUNGEON WORLD, MAY IT ROLL FOREVER AS THE DICE PERMITS!" That last line seemed forced, almost part of its instructions.

"SO! LIKE IT OR NOT, YOU ARE HERE STUCK HERE. YOU CAN LEAVE EITHER BY SUICIDE OR BY SURVIVING THE CRAWL. NOW ... I WILL PERMIT EACH OF YOU ONE QUESTION BEFORE I PROCEED WITH THIS PARTICULAR CHALLENGE." It points at the gambling paraphernalia arrayed before him.

zyborg
2011-05-25, 10:01 AM
"Mr. Golem, sir," Yagiru says, "I would like to know the fastest way out of his place, if possible. That would be most appreciated."

sidelar
2011-05-25, 12:45 PM
Dewbim says "Yes, Golem. Do you know what this place is or why we're here?"

Ninjabob
2011-05-25, 03:32 PM
George asks "How do we get to our gear, good sir.

davidlewing
2011-05-25, 07:14 PM
Hmm... Tilenthon puts his hands together, fingers steepled, and says I don't suppose a question such as "What are the exact decisions we will need to make in order to get through here alive?" is permissable? Because that's my question. Though if you aren't able to answer something like that then I will ask, "What is the best question to ask?"

abadguy
2011-05-25, 10:23 PM
"Mr. Golem, sir," Yagiru says, "I would like to know the fastest way out of his place, if possible. That would be most appreciated."

AH A MAN WHO LIVES FOR THE NOW I SEE. THE FASTEST WAY OUT IS LEAVING HERE THE CLEVER WAY.

Dewbim says "Yes, Golem. Do you know what this place is or why we're here?"

THAT IS TWO QUESTIONS. I NEVER KNEW THERE EXISTED ANYONE DENSER THAN MYSELF. I BELIEVE I HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED BOTH QUESTIONS UNLESS YOU WERE NOT LISTENING.

George asks "How do we get to our gear, good sir.

YOU WILL FIND YOUR GEAR IN THE NEXT AREA.

Hmm... Tilenthon puts his hands together, fingers steepled, and says I don't suppose a question such as "What are the exact decisions we will need to make in order to get through here alive?" is permissable? Because that's my question. Though if you aren't able to answer something like that then I will ask, "What is the best question to ask?"

TRUST THE WIZARD TO BE THE WISE GUY. I CAN ANSWER YOUR FIRST QUERY. THE EXACT DECISIONS YOU NEED TO MAKE IN ORDER TO GET THROUGH HERE ALIVE IS WHETHER YOU WANT TO LEAVE HERE THE HARD WAY, THE USUAL WAY OR THE CLEVER WAY.

The golem then turns to Lian, "IT SEEMS YOU ARE THE LAST. WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION?"

zyborg
2011-05-25, 10:43 PM
"Hold on," Yagiru says to the golem... "I need to do something before we continue." He then turns towards some of his allies and whispers to them.

EDIT: Color issues

davidlewing
2011-05-25, 11:04 PM
Those are not the exact decisions though. That is a single, general decision we will likely not know how to choose. You have not told me what decisions we must make to get to and through this "Clever Way". Unless there is a sign in front of the "Clever Way" clearly and truthfully displaying that it is the "Clever Way" you have not answered my question. And also, it would not be a clever way if it was labeled so that any bumbling fool could find it.

abadguy
2011-05-25, 11:12 PM
Those are not the exact decisions though. That is a single, general decision we will likely not know how to choose. You have not told me what decisions we must make to get to and through this "Clever Way". Unless there is a sign in front of the "Clever Way" clearly and truthfully displaying that it is the "Clever Way" you have not answered my question. And also, it would not be a clever way if it was labeled so that any bumbling fool could find it.

The golem seems to ponder for about two seconds before replying. "NO, I DO BELIEVE WHAT I SAID WAS CORRECT. THE CLEVER WAY, THE HARD WAY OR THE USUAL WAY."

davidlewing
2011-05-25, 11:22 PM
I did not say that your decision was wrong, only that it was inadequate. Telling us to take the "Clever Way" is by no means an exact instruction that will get us through this dungeon alive. Tilenthon pauses and sighs, rolling his eyes. Unless you are willing to elaborate on your answer to fully satisfy the question I see no further point in speaking to you.

abadguy
2011-05-25, 11:31 PM
I did not say that your decision was wrong, only that it was inadequate. Telling us to take the "Clever Way" is by no means an exact instruction that will get us through this dungeon alive. Tilenthon pauses and sighs, rolling his eyes. Unless you are willing to elaborate on your answer to fully satisfy the question I see no further point in speaking to you.

The golem seems to chuckle at your reply. "WISE GUY NOT SO SMART AFTER ALL. THE QUESTION YOU ASKED WAS WHAT EXACT DECISION TO MAKE TO GET THROUGH 'HERE' ALIVE AND I ANSWERED THAT. YOU DID NOT ASK 'HOW DO I GET THROUGH THE DUNGEON ALIVE, AND YOU WERE TRYING TO IMPLY THAT I SHOULD ANSWER THE IMPLIED QUESTIONS 'WHAT ARE THE HARD, CLEVER AND USUAL WAYS.' I AM BUT A SIMPLE GOLEM." It seems to smirk at that last line.

davidlewing
2011-05-26, 12:01 AM
I see. Well, I will be sure to remember this encounter and not make the same mistake again if ever confronted with a similar trial. Tilenthon turns away and scowls, upset at his question being so easily circumvented.

Snow Leopard
2011-05-26, 04:00 AM
Lian says: "How do we get through the dungeon all alive but the cleverest way possible?"

DM:
diplomacy check [roll0] i have a skill mod of +8 in bluff but only 4 ranks, so I don't think I can add the synergy bonus

abadguy
2011-05-26, 04:50 AM
The golem looks forlornly at Lian and says,"SADLY I CANNOT ANSWER THAT. I KNOW NOT WHAT GOES ON IN THE CRAWL BESIDES WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS ROOM AND THE NEXT. AS YOU WILL HAVE NOTICED, I AM ONLY ACTIVATED WHEN PARTICIPANTS OF THE CRAWL STEP ON THE THREE PLATES. I WAS CREATED AND INFUSED WITH ONLY GENERAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE CRAWL AND INSTRUCTIONS SPECIFIC TO THIS ROOM ..."

"I WILL GIVE YOU ANOTHER CHANCE. YOU MAY ASK AGAIN."

Snow Leopard
2011-05-26, 05:00 AM
"So I am asking you how we get through the dungeon all alive but in the cleverest way possible, as far as you know, even if it is limited at this room and the next."

abadguy
2011-05-29, 12:07 PM
"AH, THAT WOULD BE BY FINDING OUT MY COMMAND WORD AND THEN USE IT TO COMMAND ME TO OPEN OR BASH DOWN THE DOORS AND THEN DEAL WITH WHATEVER IS BEYOND. IT SEEMS YOU HAVE RUN OUT OF QUESTIONS SO I SURMISE THAT WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING. SHALL WE PROCEED THEN?" He indicates the equipment before him.

zyborg
2011-05-29, 12:38 PM
"We are not out of questions," Yagiru claims. "I never actually ASKED any questions. I simply made a statement about how nice it would be if you told me about the fastest way out of here. I would like to ask a question now, and have it answered..."

DM: Bluff roll: [roll0], perhaps a circumstance bonus for the technical truth?

abadguy
2011-05-29, 09:21 PM
Dice roll! [roll0]

The golem's stony demeanour actually manages to look confused. "WAIT WHAT? REALLY? UH ... I'M QUITE.... HMMM ... CERTAIN ... BUT ... " There seems to be some sort of internal conflict within it. The body of the golem jerks a couple of time and the eyes close momentarily. When they reopen, the golem seems to have lost its air of joviality, replaced by something much more serious.

"Denizens of the Crawl, are you ready to proceed with this task?"

Yagiru

Good attempt, the bluff check worked but unfortunately the servants of the Crawl aren't so easily foiled :smallbiggrin:
+100 bonus XP anyway for that.

sidelar
2011-06-02, 12:56 AM
Dewbim says "I guess were as ready as we can be. Bring on the task."

Ninjabob
2011-06-02, 01:12 AM
George looks offended Who you calling a denizen? But sure, go ahead.

davidlewing
2011-06-02, 07:53 AM
What about Yagiru's question? You have not given him a chance to ask it yet.

abadguy
2011-06-02, 10:46 PM
Each of you the golem indicates to the three standing on the circular floor plates will have to choose one of these each in front of me: The Hard Way, pointing to the coins, The Usual Way, pointing to the dice, or The Clever Way it spreads his hands around the cards. These are the Three Ways of the Gambler's Guild ... they all are games of skill and chance. Who dares, wins. Decide which of you wants to undertake this task. If you wish you may ask any of your group to play in your stead.

Ninjabob
2011-06-02, 10:59 PM
Can we have just a moment to talk this over with each other?

Regardless of the answer, George steps away from the golem and motions for the group to follow him.

Alright. I see three ways to do this. Those of you who are quick of hand, should choose the coins. He lowers his voice to a whisper. It is easiest to cheat on them.
He returns his voice to regular volume. Those amoung us who are insanely smart, choose the cards. You can outsmart him. Those of you who aren't either of those, go with the die. Hope you get lucky.

davidlewing
2011-06-02, 11:03 PM
OOC:
I am afraid I have no idea what is going on. What do you mean it is "easier to cheat" with the coins? Are we gambling or dungeon crawling? I am somewhat confused...:smalleek:

Ninjabob
2011-06-02, 11:11 PM
OOC:I assume so. It said Gamblers Guild, so I assume we have to win against him in each of the chosen games. If that's not the case I'll edit my post

abadguy
2011-06-02, 11:16 PM
OOC

All these should go to the OOC thread really, that's what its for! :smallconfused:

And yes, if I wasn't clear in the IC post, 3 of you will be playing a game each against the golem.

davidlewing
2011-06-03, 08:41 AM
Will any of us be able to play the games? Or only the ones who are currently on the circles?

abadguy
2011-06-05, 09:31 PM
Any of you can play but only once. If you can beat me two out of three games, you may all proceed.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-06, 06:03 AM
"I will play the clever way" says Lian, approaching the golem
"We can start when you are ready"

zyborg
2011-06-06, 02:57 PM
"Ooh," Yagiru says, grinning, "This should be interesting... I used to love games like this, so if you need any Guidance, I could help."

Bluff [roll0] to not let the golem know that I'm casting Guidance...
And obviously I'm casting Guidance on Lian

abadguy
2011-06-07, 04:19 AM
Very well the golem speaks. He does not seem to notice Yagiru casting his spell, or if he did, does not seem to mind it.

He starts to riffle the deck and as he does so, ten cards fly out gracefully and land face up in front of the both of you. Lian recognises them to be numbered cards: 10, 7, 5, 2, 1

We each have the same number of cards of the same values. Arrange them FACE DOWN in any order you choose and I will arrange mine so we each have five cards facing the other. Starting with you, decide if you want a higher number to win or a lower number to win; and the other will decide to switch cards with you. We take turns deciding higher or lower, switch or stay. First to win three times, wins this game.

((Snow Leopard, decide on your arrangement order and post it in the OOC))

abadguy
2011-06-07, 11:14 PM
The golem quickly arranges his cards in a blur.

He turns to the others. I can play the other games simultaneously. Who is up for Hard Way and the Usual Way?

Ninjabob
2011-06-07, 11:18 PM
George looks at his comrades, cracks his knuckles and says "Wish me luck guys!"
He walks up to the table and says "I'll take the Hard Way.

davidlewing
2011-06-07, 11:22 PM
Good luck to us all... I will go with the usual way. Tilenthon walks up to the table, positioning himself in between the golem and Yagiru.

Tilenthon is trying to block line of sight from the golem to Yagiru so that if he casts prestidigitation it has a better chance of going unnoticed. Is that possible?

abadguy
2011-06-08, 12:33 AM
Tilenthon & Yagiru

Tilenthon can certainly try to. Whether he succeeds or not depends on the golem's spot check. Tilenthon won't know from experience whether it will "succeed" or not, it is not total cover thats for sure. I will give modifiers for sure though.

Excellent, its face cracking into a shadow of a smile.

The Hard Way. A simple game of coin flips. We each predict 10 outcomes and starting flipping coins. The one with the most accurate predictions win. In the case of a tie, we go into sudden death: we predict and flip until one gets it wrong, the other gets it right.

The Usual Way. I will roll 3 dice ten times. You are given ten gold to bet on the outcomes each roll. Betting is compulsory. You win once you reach either 30 gold or still have at least 10 gold remaining at the end of the 10 rounds. Gold won from each round may be used in the proceeding round. You get to keep the gold you win after the game. Here are the combinations you can bet on:

Small (Dice total of 4-10 except for Triples [3 of a kind]) Pays 1 to 1
Big (Dice total of 11-17 except for Triples [3 of a kind]) Pays 1 to 1
(If you bet on big, you may not bet on small unless the amounts are different)

Total Sum Combinations (Dice total adds up to this number)
(4 or 17) Pays 50 to 1
(5 or 16) Pays 30 to 1
(6 or 15) Pays 18 to 1
(7 or 14) Pays 12 to 1
(8 or 13) Pays 8 to 1
(9 or 12) Pays 6 to 1
(10 or 11) Pays 6 to 1
Double Dice (Any 2 of a kind) Pays 10 to 1
Triple Bet (Any 3 of a kind) Pays 30 to 1

The golem then sets a pile of 10 gold coins stamped with the double G crest of the Gambler's Build before you.
((Start making your bets Tilenthon. You may spread out your bets on any of the bolded options with any amount you have. Once ready, the golem will roll once. Then repeat the process until ten rolls are completed.))

abadguy
2011-06-08, 02:18 AM
When Lian indicates the lower to win, the golem elects not to switch and turns his card over to show a 5.

He then goes over to George and says Heads all the way
He then flips his coin ten times in quick succession.
(1 is heads, 2 is tails)
[roll0]
(edit: woahhh coin gods do love the golem)

Snow Leopard
2011-06-08, 02:34 AM
Lian turns his card and it shows a 5.
"So we are even"
"Let's go on the second one, higher card this time"

Ninjabob
2011-06-08, 02:43 AM
George looks at the coins in shock, jaw dropping. He takes a moment and visibly pulls himself back together. His jaw locks into place as he saysMy turn. All tails

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]
[roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19]

edit: What... the... FLABNAR!!?!?

abadguy
2011-06-08, 03:53 AM
Lian turns his card and it shows a 5.
"So we are even"
"Let's go on the second one, higher card this time"

No I believe it is my turn to choose higher or lower now, then you can choose to swap. We take turns.

He thinks for a moment

I choose the lower card to win. You may now choose to swap or not, then we shall reveal.

George
The golem replies It looks like a tie, we both have seven correct. Now we move to sudden death. The moment either of us get it right while the other gets it wrong, the one who called it wins. If both are wrong, it continues.
(1 for heads, 2 for tails)
Heads 1d2
Tails 1d2
Heads 1d2
Tails 1d2
Tails 1d2 (redoing in OOC)

Snow Leopard
2011-06-08, 04:13 AM
"Ok, so I stay" Lian turns a card with 2

Ninjabob
2011-06-08, 04:46 AM
George smiles, Here goes nothing. Both Tails
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

abadguy
2011-06-08, 04:53 AM
With a deft flick of his fingers, George correctly guesses the first two flips, thus winning the game. The golem says Congratulations, you have won this game.

To Lian, the golem flips over a 7. I lost this set, the score is now 1-0 to you. Third set now ... you may choose higher or lower.

Ninjabob
2011-06-08, 04:56 AM
George smiles and moves next to Lian, trying to block the golem's line of sight.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-08, 05:19 AM
Lian looks at George smiling, showing that he is proud of what the rouge has just accomplished.
"I choose lower to win, since now I'm sure to win with my card" says Lian, looking at the golem and showing great confidence
Bluff[roll0] I know it is not so subtle for a bluff :smallbiggrin:

abadguy
2011-06-08, 05:30 AM
Lian looks at George smiling, showing that he is proud of what the rouge has just accomplished.
"I choose lower to win, since now I'm sure to win with my card" says Lian, looking at the golem and showing great confidence
Bluff[roll0] I know it is not so subtle for a bluff :smallbiggrin:

The golem smiles. Perhaps ... only one card can defeat me ... I will take my chances. I stay. He flips his card over to reveal a 2.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-08, 05:43 AM
Lian turns his card and shows 10, and he looks a bit sad

"Ok, your turn"

Did I use the bluff in a wrong way or didn't I succeed in doing the bluff?

abadguy
2011-06-08, 06:22 AM
Lian

Bluff is an opposed check. He made his Sense Motive, thanks to his hefty positive modifiers. ((In gambling vernacular, it was way more +EV to stay))

The score is now 1-1 The golem says. I choose lower to win.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-08, 07:18 AM
"Dear golem, can you tell me more about the tapestry? I didn't understand the meaning of the letter over there" says Lian, pointing the letter on the left with his finger
Diplomacy check [roll0] If the golem looks at the tapestry, Sleight of Hand check [roll1] to peek golem's card (I used guidance). I have a +8 bonus in bluff but only +4 ranks, so I think I don't get synergy on diplomacy. Please if I don't succeed don't bash me with your heavy golemish hand, I am so little :smallredface:

abadguy
2011-06-08, 09:25 PM
As the golem turns, Lian's deft hands allow him to peek at the golem's card. It is a 1.

The golem turns back and says Those two letters, written in the ancient script of man, represent the initials of the Gambler's Guild, mirrored. Apt because all luck, good or bad, comes back to you in the end.

Ninjabob
2011-06-08, 09:33 PM
Fascinating, I never knew you gambler types were also philosophers.

abadguy
2011-06-08, 10:50 PM
The golem says solemnly: Even the most closed of minds are opened in Dungeon World.

So.

What is your choice then? the golem swivels to Lian

Snow Leopard
2011-06-09, 12:24 AM
"Interesting. Thank you. Coming back to the game, let me think...I choose to swap" Lian looks concentrated on the game now
Dear DM, on the last set, you know my card and yours, and you have to choose to stay or swap, basically, the last card it is an automatic win for you. So I expect a bit help on the last move :):smallsmile:

abadguy
2011-06-09, 02:30 AM
I see. He flips over the 1 which you saw earlier. That would be a win for you then. And since I know what your last card is and I am in control, that would be a win for me. So the score would be tied 2-2. In that case, we reset our order of cards. The next person to win would win this game.

With a blur, he arranges his cards again.

Since I had 2nd pick last round, I have first pick now. I choose higher.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-09, 02:37 AM
"It is fair. So I choose to swap"
@DM
I posted my new order in an OOC spoiler

abadguy
2011-06-09, 02:50 AM
The golem flips its card to show a 7. Well done, you have won this round and the game.

It now turns its attention to Tilenthon. All that is left is you. What is your bet? Stony fingers snatch up the dice and in anticipation.

davidlewing
2011-06-09, 06:51 AM
Tilenthon clinks the coins as he thinks. Then places a small stack ahead of the rest onto the table as he says, I will bet three gold on Small.

Zyborg, can you cast prestidigitation to effect the rolls, please?

Sorry I am so behind guys, I have been busy the last few days.

abadguy
2011-06-09, 11:03 AM
The golem rolls [roll0] Five, Four and One, that is a Small!

He places 3 gold coins next to your bet. Next bet?

davidlewing
2011-06-09, 11:05 AM
I will bet Small again, with these six coins this time.

13 Gold, 9 Rounds

zyborg
2011-06-09, 11:19 AM
As Tilenthon made his next bet, Yagiru focuses his mystical energies on the dice, ready to affect their rolls if they start to become unfavorable...

I cast Prestidigitation on the dice, and will try to manipulate them.

Ninjabob
2011-06-09, 11:53 AM
George moves in between the view of the Golem and Yagiru, trying to make sure the casting is not noticed.

abadguy
2011-06-10, 02:45 AM
The golem stops when he sees Yagiru waving his hand about and George crowding around the table. It opens a hinge on its left "upper thigh" and pulls out what seems to be a glass cup. Throwing the dice into the cup, he rolls [roll0]. He says Three Three Five, BIG ...

Yagiru

The "cup" is interfering with your prestidigitation

It sweeps the coins away into a slit in the table. You now have seven coins left. What is your next bet?

davidlewing
2011-06-10, 08:38 AM
Mmm... Small again, two coins this time. He says, sliding them forward, You never said what happens if we lose a game. Care to elaborate on that?

7 Gold, 8 Rounds

Spellcraft on the cup. [roll0]

It says in Prestidigitation that you can color an item in a 1 foot cube once per round. Would it be possible to color the sixes on the dice to look like ones? If it was cast mid-throw, before it gets into the cup, it would be impossible to notice the change. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but the verbal and somatic components only apply during the initial casting and any further use of the effects are undetectable by mundane means.

abadguy
2011-06-12, 01:36 AM
Tilenthon

You are unable to tell what's special about the cup without detect magic.

And about Prestidigitation, I just re-read the description. It does one single effect (color, lift or flavor) and the effects last for 1 hour, not that you can use it continuously for one hour as per the last line of the spell. Experience also tells you it is quite difficult to "color" the dice without being noticed as it is not an instantaneous effect (it happens over one round, six seconds)

The golem rolls [roll0]... five, six, six, BIG. The golem sweeps away the coins. Five coins left. Nothing untoward would happen to you. Since your companions have already won two games, what you are playing for is ... maybe pride and perhaps a chance to win a nice amount of gold for your travails ahead...

davidlewing
2011-06-12, 01:01 PM
DM:

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

In the bolded sentence the word "effects" is plural, which is why I took it to be lasting. Are you sure it only allows one use?

Also, I don't think that the colorization would be that easy to notice since it is merely changing the number of dots. Your call of course.

Darn... One gold on doubles. Doubles will pay out even if you roll triples correct?

5 Gold, 7 Rounds

abadguy
2011-06-12, 10:20 PM
Tilenthon

Mmmm you're right. But anyhow, the effects are unable to penetrate the cup and not fast enough to affect the dice before they are rolled.

If you're looking for a way to "cheat", perhaps you need to make a deal...

No, doubles do not pay out on a triple.

The golem rolls [roll0], six, five, four, BIG. He sweeps away the coin. Five gold and six rounds to go.

davidlewing
2011-06-12, 10:42 PM
GM:
What if I stall him by speaking to him before I place my bet? Yagiru can change it while I am speaking to him, assuming the dice are out of the cup...

I am not sure what you mean by "making a deal" but I suppose that is the point.

Will I have to actually communicate the coloring idea to Yagiru in character? If so I will not be handing the dice back after the events in this post (assuming I get them that is)

Tilenthon grumbles angrily. I am not sure I trust you with these dice. How do I know you aren't cheating? I think it is only fair that you give me a chance to examine them.

Diplomacy Check: [roll0]

If succesful:
May I make a few test rolls? I want to feel them, to be sure they aren't weighted.
Would that be another diplomacy check or part of the last? (Diplomacy [roll1] just in case)
Tilenthon then casts a spell on the dice though the keen ear of another caster might be able to catch that he is slurring certain syllables and shortening hand gestures to prevent any actual activation of the spell.
Bluff [roll2]

Snow Leopard
2011-06-13, 12:23 AM
“I agree with him, since you are throwing the dice, an examination is fair” says Lian, coming close to the table and plucking his ektara
“You know dear golem, I am quite skillful with a string instrument, I can arrange something for you”
diplomacy check [roll0] to convince him to let Tilenthon examine the dice

abadguy
2011-06-13, 05:32 AM
At Tilenthon's words, the golem goes silent. when it speaks again, the voice is noticably ... colder. I do not have the capacity to cheat. These dice were not created by me, provided for by the Gambler's Guild and even has their stamp, marking their authenticity. It would do you good not to besmirch my integrity.

On hearing Lian, it seems to smile.
Ah you should teach your companion your good manners ... it has been a while since I have heard mortal music. Do play a song. Your companion here may roll the dice twice on my behalf while I enjoy your tune.

The golem hands the dice to Tilenthon while it looks intently at Lian and his instrument.

((Lian roll a perform check))

Snow Leopard
2011-06-13, 06:07 AM
Lian closes his eyes for a few moments, looking concentrated, then he starts plucking gently the cords, the other hand moves swiftly to modulate the tune.

The song is a ballad about a human woman waiting his beloved who left a long time ago to fight in the north. During his waiting, she weaves a tapestry remembering their happy moments

perform string strument [roll0] perform sing [roll1] P.S. Ouch! Probably I ate a toad

davidlewing
2011-06-13, 08:19 AM
That means that I continue betting but I get to roll right?

Pretending to examine the dice Tilenthon leans over toward Yagiru, winking subtly. Can you detect anything on these dice? Then much quieter, Do you think you could alter the six sides, to make them look like a ones?

Bluff Check [roll0] ... ouch

abadguy
2011-06-13, 10:50 PM
((Yes just go ahead and roll. If zyborg doesn't respond, I'll godmod him))

zyborg
2011-06-13, 10:57 PM
Yagiru looks at the dice, and then nods. "They look fine to me," he says, ignoring the fact that he is being hinted to alter them with his magic. He then turns to the golem. "After this, could we perhaps play a game? I know that it wouldn't be for anything in particular, since the important ones are already done, but I feel left out of the fun..."

davidlewing
2011-06-14, 06:28 AM
Tilenthon glares at Yagiru, but being unable to say anything without giving away his intentions, he turns back to the table. Yes, as far as I can tell they are fair. George, would you be willing to roll for me, that might remove any suspicions that I am cheating myself.

Of course I am wanting you to cheat with slight of hand since I can't use it myself. If you don't mind.

Ninjabob
2011-06-14, 10:29 AM
George moves over to the dice and says, "I would gladly try to roll for you. Seems like luck is on my side anyways. Mr. Golem, would this be okay?

abadguy
2011-06-14, 09:17 PM
The golem is intent on Lian's performance and waves his hands at George to carry on.

((Tilenthon make your next two bets and roll
George roll 2 sleight of hand checks. DC is 20 as dice are much harder to manipulate. If you beat the DC, the rolls are in favor of Tilenthon's bet, if not, the dice roll results stand.))

davidlewing
2011-06-14, 09:27 PM
OOC:
Until I win a round or run out of gold, I am going to continue betting one gold on doubles. Do you want that in character?

abadguy
2011-06-14, 10:30 PM
George takes up the dice, juggling it with one hand before throwing them

1st
[roll0]
SoH: [roll1]

George's deft manipulation enables the the dice to show a pair, giving the wizard a win.

((15 gold, 5 rounds to go))

2nd
[roll2]
SoH: [roll3]

davidlewing
2011-06-15, 07:07 AM
Five gold on doubles.

Ninjabob
2011-06-16, 12:35 AM
George blows on the dice for luck, before rolling them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

abadguy
2011-06-16, 02:40 AM
((I rolled for George as above, he succeed on the first try))

George rolls and the dice comes up [roll0] ...
The golem seems to shake itself out from listening to Lian's song and sweeps the five gold coins into the slit.

10 gold and four round to go. Wizard, you realise you can make more than one bet....

Snow Leopard
2011-06-16, 03:38 AM
"I hope you liked my song, dear golem, feel free to ask for a specific one" says Lian, stopping playing his ektara and giving to the golem a big smile while making a bow.

davidlewing
2011-06-16, 04:47 AM
Ah, you neglected to inform me of that... In that case, one gold on doubles and one gold on triples.

Actually I was pretty sure I was allowed to make more than one bet but wanted to make only one at a time anyway.

What happened with Georges roll? I didn't see a slight of hand check or was that done elsewhere?

abadguy
2011-06-17, 02:47 AM
((I rolled for him the first time. Then he rolled a couple which I used for the 2nd roll))

The golem rolls once more [roll0] .... and sweeps away the coins

8 coins and 3 rounds to go ... Mmmm you do make a persuasive argument, bard. Do you happen to know that classic jaunty folksong, "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"?

((Lian, You may roll a Knowledge history of bardic knowledge check, failing that, a really high Perform check to 'fake it'))

Snow Leopard
2011-06-17, 04:52 AM
"Let me see...Yes! I remember the song, a true classic. You have a good taste indeed, my friend" says Lian, taking again his ektara in his arms, then he starts singing and playing, sketching out a few dance steps.

Bardic Knowledge[roll0], just in case faking it, perform string strument[roll1] perform sing[roll2]

davidlewing
2011-06-17, 09:34 AM
Are you going to roll while you listen?

Then, regardless of his answer.
I will make the same bet. One gold on doubles and one gold on triples.

abadguy
2011-06-20, 02:06 AM
The golem, entranced by the music, seems to slip up on his roll...

[roll0]
[roll1]

It looks at the fallen dice. My word ... three of a kind.

It places a total of 37 gold pieces before Tilenthon. Congratulations to you too, you have won The Usual Way.

As a reward for winning all three games of the Gambler's Challenge, you may keep the gambling implements as trophies. I understand they are worth quite a lot to collectors and as also used as badges of honour amongst the members of the guild.

It hands the two golden coins to George, the metallic cards in a wooden box to Lian and the gem-studded golden dice to Tilenthon. It then seems to stomp its foot and the door with no handles slides to the left, revealing a torch lit room beyond.

You will find your equipment beyond this door.

((Great victory! The 3 participants to receive 300XP while Yagiru earns 250XP and Dewbim to receive 200XP))

Snow Leopard
2011-06-20, 02:41 AM
"Congratulations my friend, we did it." Lian seems happy and searches his comrades' eyes to share his feelings.
"...and thank you dear golem, I am glad you enjoyed my music, thanks for the cards, I will keep them with pleasure."
"So guys, if we are all set, we should proceed to the next room."
Lian makes a few steps towards the door, turning back to check if the others are coming.

davidlewing
2011-06-20, 07:33 AM
With a sigh of relief, Tilenthon picks up the coins an places them in his pocket. He picks up the three dice and puts them in a seperate pocket to prevent their scratching. I will keep these dice with pride. Thanks for the challenge, I enjoyed it significantly. Tilenthon nods at the golem, then follows Lian. Congratulations on your game, and you too George, I never would have expected us to win all three.

Ninjabob
2011-06-20, 02:21 PM
George smiles at the Golem, taking the coins.

Thanks for the trophies and answers.
He turns to the others, saying :Good job everyone! Now to get my stuff!
He rushes into the next room

zyborg
2011-06-20, 02:29 PM
"Thank you so much," Yagiru says. "You seemed to have given my friends a lot of fun. However... what will happen to you, now? Will I be able to see you again, so I could challenge you to a game, myself?"

abadguy
2011-06-20, 10:05 PM
Me? I exist to serve in my capacity here though sometimes I am called away to other places for other reasons. As for our game ... I regret we will not have the chance to. Perhaps soon though. It almost seems to give you a wink. Now hurry along, your companions are waiting.

Inside the room
Dewbim follows close behind Lian.

The room is 30ft square, lit with torches. Along the walls are tables with big duffel bags on them, each monogrammed with your names. Opening the bags you find the equipment you started with.

At the far end of the room, yet another door is there. There is an inscription on the door in various languages reading: A TEST OF ARMS

There seems to be a lever on the wall to the side of the door.

davidlewing
2011-06-20, 10:13 PM
Tilenthon locates his pack and rummages through it, ensuring nothing is missing, then places his new dice into a separate pouch. He shoulders his bag and walks toward the door examining it.

Search check: [roll0]

Ninjabob
2011-06-20, 10:58 PM
OOC: What about my mule!

George opens his duffle bag carefully, double checking to make sure all his belongings are there.

abadguy
2011-06-21, 02:05 AM
At Tilenthon's inspection, the door seems ordinary. There is a handle which he tries to push, pull or slide but the door does not budge.

George sees no sign of the mule he was leading. Instead he finds a pouch with 8GP and a note inside "For Redemption of 1 Mule"

davidlewing
2011-06-21, 07:26 AM
Well, this door is either stuck or locked. I am guessing that this lever will open it and activate whatever test that sign was talking about. I don't see any reason to dilly-dally here any longer, anyone want to volunteer to pull the lever?

Also, I updated my item locations on my character sheet. I have my dagger tucked in my belt, is that okay?

Ninjabob
2011-06-21, 09:54 PM
George arranges all his belongings on him, looking a little sad. He says They took Bessie, my mule.
He looks very downtroden, but walks to the lever, waiting for everyone to get into position.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-23, 08:23 AM
Lian opens his bag and a big smile appears on his face. "Finally, all my things!"

Then he put his lute on his back with the ektara and puts on his clothes with the remaining equipment. "Eheh, I should start learning how to song two string instruments at one time"

He looks at George "Whenever you want, my friend"

Ninjabob
2011-06-23, 11:27 PM
It says trial of arms. You should probably get ready for a fight, but hey! Not my decision. George says, pulling out his crossbow.

davidlewing
2011-06-24, 12:07 AM
Good point. I guess I have my crossbow that I could prepare, one moment please...
Tilenthon retrieves his crossbow from his pack as well as a single box of bolts, then loads it.

Could Tilenthon stick a few bolts into a pocket or into his belt so that he does not have to reach into his pack each time he needs to reload?

zyborg
2011-06-24, 09:04 AM
"Yay," Yagiru exclaims. "My stuff!" He gathers all of his things together. He then looks at the lever. "Hmm... a test of arms. That sounds easy. We all have arms. It would be hard to carry stuff without them."

Snow Leopard
2011-06-24, 09:34 AM
Lian wears his leather armor, the buckler in one hand and the morning star in the other, assaying the weight and whirling the weapon a bit
"I am ready"

abadguy
2011-06-24, 02:46 PM
Could Tilenthon stick a few bolts into a pocket or into his belt so that he does not have to reach into his pack each time he needs to reload?

Doesn't matter where they are for now. They still take a move action to load nonetheless

Dewbim hurumphs. All right here we go ... he pulls down on the lever, grunting with effort ... A little help please?

davidlewing
2011-06-24, 03:36 PM
Tilenthon reaches over and adds his weight to the lever.
(Strength Check? [roll0])

Doesn't matter where they are for now. They still take a move action to load nonetheless
I just didn't want to have to take a full round action to get a bolt out in addition to the move action to load it.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-26, 01:03 AM
"I am not exactly a big size person, anyway, here is my help" Lian reaches Tilenthon. If he can't grab the lever, he grabs George or Tilenthon

Strenght Check [roll0]

davidlewing
2011-06-26, 07:28 AM
Oh. I didn't see that my roll didn't work. Oops.
Strength Check: [roll0]
Aid Another: [roll1]

abadguy
2011-06-27, 10:12 PM
Your combined efforts come to fruition as the door slowly grinds its way up and open. Beyond .... the room is barely lit by candles spaced out on the far walls. A smell of decay wafts from the room ...

Dewbim pops his head in and takes a look around. "Seems empty and there is some sort of stone structure in the middle of the room." He clutches his light mace nervously as he looks at the rest of you. "Moving in I guess ..."

He paces silently into the room, halting about 10 ft from the entrance.

davidlewing
2011-06-28, 06:42 AM
Is Yagiru's light spell still active? I don't know how long we were in the last room but the spell lasts 10 minutes per caster level.
Tilenthon follows Dewbim into the room, readying his crossbow.

Ninjabob
2011-06-28, 06:48 AM
George throws his torch as far as he can into the room.

Snow Leopard
2011-06-28, 01:45 PM
"Let's have a look at this room,but all of you stay alert"

Lian concentrates to see more in that dark room, always keeping the morningstar and the buckler in his hands

DM
Cast light on the morningstar

zyborg
2011-06-28, 06:40 PM
"What did you say," Yagiru asks Lian, "I wasn't paying attention. Hey..." he smells the air, then cringes. "Hey! Who did that? You really need to warn someone before doing that. It smells like you set a skunk on fire!"

Snow Leopard
2011-06-28, 11:58 PM
"You should see when I ate the meatballs with potatoes prepared by a friend of mine. Actually she is more than a friend, but this is an another story for another time"
Lian winks at Zyborg

abadguy
2011-06-30, 02:43 AM
George's torch lands with a plop! into what seems to be a puddle of some liquid about 15 ft from the entrance. It does not go out and coupled with the Light spell glowing from Lian's morning star, there is more detail. The room is a 40ft square room and the entrance is at the extreme corner of it. A stone dais is in the middle of the room with a tall obelisk right in the centre, all sorts of runes carved into it. The ground is a mix of stone and soil, with wet gleaming patches of unknown liquid.

Dewbim continues to look around. "Hey, I think I see a door at the far end!" he says as he points to the opposite corner.

In room: Tilenthon, Dewbim
Out of room: Yagiru, George, Lian

{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H
1||||||||
2||||||||
3||||||||
4||||O|O|||
5||||O|O|||
6||||||||t
7||||||||D
8||||||||T
[/table]

O = dais with obelisk
T = Tilenthon
D = Dewbim
t = torch

davidlewing
2011-07-01, 09:38 AM
Tilenthon walks to the dias, careful not to step in any puddles. He examines it for any marks or symbols.
Search: [roll0]
Knowledge Architecture: [roll1]
Knowledge Dungeoneering: [roll2]

Snow Leopard
2011-07-01, 09:53 AM
Lian enter the room, examining the fluid on the floor, after that, he walks towards the center, trying to discover more about the door in the opposite corner

spot check [roll0]

sidelar
2011-07-04, 07:25 AM
Dewbim walks over to the other side of the dias, and looks at the walls surronding the door to see if there is anything odd.

search
[roll0]

Ninjabob
2011-07-04, 08:29 AM
George moves into the doorway, covering everyone.

zyborg
2011-07-04, 10:55 AM
"Hey, this looks like fun! What are the puddles?" Yagiru hops from non-puddle to non-puddle, stopping once in awhile to look at the puddles. "Hmm..." He dips his morningstar into one of the puddles, and examines it.

Rolls
Jump? [roll0] Balance? [roll1]
Spot? [roll2] Search? [roll3]

abadguy
2011-07-05, 08:53 PM
The dias is worn and covered in old blood stains. The runes that cover the surface are in Draconic which you are familiar with. A thorough examination reveals no hidden mechanisms but you conclude this particular outcropping of rock is actually natural, only the runes that cover are not. Strange that a dungeon would be built around this particular rock.

Lian's inspection of the door reveals nothing of significance, save that it is yet another frustrating handleless "door". However you do notice many strange markings on the bottom of the door. Long vertical grooves in groups of four and five at varying angles and bits of something white stuck in between.

Dewbim's inspection of the walls around the door reveal no hidden mechanisms. There are a lot of old bloodstains though.

George is alert as always. Somehow, something seems 'off' about this place.

As Yagiru enters the room, the door closes with an ominous thunk behind him. The room is actually very much darker than you all first realised. The darkness seems "thicker" somehow. The only lights emanate from candles along the wall (5ft shadowy illumination), from Lian's morningstar (10ft light, 10 ft shadowy illumination) and from the torch George threw (10ft light, 10 ft shadowy illumination) which is now about to sputter out.

Yagiru hops .... and manages to fall face first into one of the puddles. Some manage to enter his mouth and he tastes a strange mixture of rotting vegetable matter and foul blood. He coughs out the mixture in distaste.

Once the door closes, Tilenthon observes the runes on the dias glowing. It looks as though they were written in phosphorescent lichens! Egads!

davidlewing
2011-07-05, 09:01 PM
Looking over his shoulder, Tilenthon grimaces. Anyone see a way out other than the door? Or a way to open the door perhaps? After waiting for a reply, Tilenthon reads the runes aloud in draconic, then again in common.

Spellcraft Check on the darkness: [roll0]

Is there some kind of interpretation check or do I automatically know it?

abadguy
2011-07-06, 09:14 PM
This is what Tilenthon reads out in Draconic and Common

A test of arms this will be
More so, a thorough test of your mind
Think fast, act quick or you will see
Arms, arms of an unfriendly kind
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Ebdb0IGbaIaiH Aabab CAadDabEai

There is a slight rumble in the ground beneath all of you once Tilenthon finishes speaking and smell of rotting vegetable matter grows stronger.

((Tilenthon thinks it might be some sort of permanent darkness effect))

T [roll0]
D [roll1]
G [roll2]
L [roll3]
Y [roll4]

Suddenly things burst out of the ground and attempt to grab on the legs of the adventurers. Everyone except Dewbim manages to avoid the things and he is stuck fast to the ground. The things turn out to be clawed hand-like appendages made of rotting vegetation and soil.

((Dewbim is now Entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) with the addition that he can only move 5ft a round with a full round action instead of half speed. He can try a Strength or Escape Artist check to be rid of the "hands))

Initial Actions and subsequent initiative rolls everyone!

zyborg
2011-07-06, 09:23 PM
"Blargh," Yagiru says, spitting up the disgusting soup and wiping his face off. "Blech, that must've been the second or third grossest thing I have ever tasted!" He looks like he is about to hurl. "Gah, nasty. Maybe it is an acquired taste?" He dips his left pinky finger in the puddle, and tastes it again. "Gh.... not a taste I'll be acquiring."

Yagiru then hears Tilenthon read the words. "Hmm... wonder what th... eeww... you SURE you haven't eaten those meatballs and potatoes? But seriously, what kind of spell was that, that makes the room stink?"

Suddenly, Yagiru notices something wrong, the ground shaking slightly. Just barely in time, he jumps out of the way of the arm-like vines bursting out of the ground. "What the heck!?" He pulls out his Morningstar, and prepares for combat with the rotten plant matter.

Init:
1d20-1

zyborg
2011-07-06, 09:31 PM
Let's try that again...[roll0]

davidlewing
2011-07-07, 06:12 AM
Initiative [roll]1d20+2[roll] 10 from following post

Knowledge Checks on the plants:
Nature [roll0]
Dungeoneering [roll1]
Arcana [roll2]

Tilenthon stands, confused for a moment Umm... oops Then readies his crossbow and fires it at the nearest plants.

davidlewing
2011-07-07, 06:13 AM
I failed at rolling my initiative

[roll0]

sidelar
2011-07-07, 07:48 AM
"argh" Dewbim yells. " where did these infernal plants come from?"

He tries to force his way out the plants grip

strength [roll0]
initiative [roll1] (Im assuming i take the -4 penalty to dexterity from being entangled here)