PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help: How do I get my character to survive?

Bovine Colonel
2011-05-03, 10:25 PM
Sorry if this should be in the Roleplaying Games general forum, but here's my situation:

Our level 2 party was sent to rescue a prince from a fort taken over by orcs. The reason we were sent to do it was because havoc would happen if word got out that the prince had been captured. (It's a long story.) Anyway, the fort was in the middle of the forest, and my character decided to go around to see if there were any back entrances or the like. He is spotted and fired at by the archer on the roof. He fires back (a rather stupid decision in retrospect) and is spotted by the six front gate guards. I start running for my life. Multiple cries for help are ignored by the rest of the party, who take the opportunity to disguise themselves, walk in, and tell the other orcs inside that there's an invader out there in the forest, go get him. So after I got to the horses, I went ahead and set all of them on the six guards, creating a distraction while I run and hide.

My character's a sword and board fighter who uses his shield as an off-hand weapon. He has +6 to attack with his longsword, +4 each with his sword and shield if he uses TWF, +4 Strength added to damage, and 19 AC from chainmail, a light shield, and +3 dexterity (maximum from chainmail is +2).

I know that the orcs have leather armor and short swords, but other than that I don't know anything about them.

So yeah: my level 2 fighter is being pursued by six orcs in a forest, with many more behind them. How does my character survive?

Blisstake
2011-05-03, 10:39 PM
Hmm... well, if the orcs don't have their own ranged weapons, you might be able to climb up a tree and shoot at them (+3 dex seems pretty good, and the idea is even better if it's a composite bow).

You could also try looping around and running back into the fort. Perhaps by then your party has cleared it out and can re-group.

Also, if you do survive, make sure to slap the rest of the group.

Mojo_Rat
2011-05-04, 01:30 AM
tactically fighting defensively should help. thevorcs ac will be poor and you should still hit. it will help your ax.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-04, 05:21 AM
In before "Kill yourself and roll Warblade"!

But seriously. Keep moving, maybe occasionally only take one move action to fire off an arrow at an orc. Otherwise, sprint for the hills.

Veyr
2011-05-04, 08:10 AM
In before "Kill yourself and roll Warblade"!
In all honesty, that's what I'd do. I didn't post it because I figure that's a pretty useless post, and fairly rude in any case, but that's definitely the first thought I had.

Mojo_Rat
2011-05-04, 05:15 PM
if your playing Pf the war blade comments really are un necessary. as a fighter if he makes the right choices he will be an unstoppable engine that makes his enemies weep.

the problem seems to be by lvl 3 he hasn't gotten the better armor yet. with plate and a heavy shield he'll have a 23 or so, 25 or so with dodge and sheiks ficus. but seems he's aiming for offensive shield use.

Veyr
2011-05-04, 06:44 PM
if your playing Pf the war blade comments really are un necessary.
True, which is why I wasn't going to bring it up. I suppose I should have kept quiet even though Greg brought it up, and probably should not continue the derail here; this will be my last post, probably. But since you directly responded to me, I felt like I should respond. Anyway, I'll take this opportunity to apologize for the OP for this interruption.

as a fighter if he makes the right choices he will be an unstoppable engine that makes his enemies weep.
Were that were true.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-04, 06:54 PM
Start screaming "There are invaders in your castle! There are invaders in your castle!"

Seriously, if they can do it to you, you can do it to them.

nedz
2011-05-04, 07:15 PM
Ride towards re-inforcements.
I'm not sure if this will work, but if there is a friendly settlement nearby then lead the Orcs into a trap. You could also try riding along a road, maybe you will meet some one who can help ?
If the nearest friendly forces are your friends, then ride back into the Orc camp. The Orcs will be disheartened if they discover that it is held against them.

Old_Nemrod
2011-05-04, 07:25 PM
Get to a hiding spot. Start setting fires. Once the forest catches, circle around to your team at the fortress and just wait a couple of nights in that defensible position. Then on the way back into town, whatever orcs survived will be in no shape to take on a full party.