PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Permission/Advice - Fantasy Politics

Lord_Gareth
2011-05-04, 08:54 AM
I figured I'd ask about this before I went off and did it - I'd like to ask some advice of the forum on the political structures of some fictional worlds and societies of mine, including vampires hidden amongst mortals, the mortal races of the savage Cat's Cradle and faeries. However, I'm not certain if the mod staff would consider such a discussion to be flirting too dangerously with IRL politics (at least in the vamps' case, since they've been around to witness it). Any advice for how I might proceed, or should I just let sleeping dogs lie?

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-04, 10:04 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: You are responsible for what you post. If what you post strays into real world politics or seems plainly to invite such discussion, that's going to lead to Warning/Infraction. If what you post doesn't do that, but the thread strays into real world politics anyway, that's on the heads of those that did the straying.

I think the questions are, for someone in your position, what is the likelihood that your post is too political, what happens if it is (how many points do you have already), and how willing are you to lead others into trouble even if your own post is technically compliant.

And, thinking of all that, err on the side of caution. It is certainly possible to talk about fictional political systems without bringing in the real world as an analogue, at least initially, and we'd let such a thread go as long as it stayed in the fictional realm without real world references. But it seems likely that such a thread would stray, whether quickly or over time.