PDA

View Full Version : Looking for humanoid amphibian, reptilian and dinosaur races

Threeshades
2011-05-04, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone in preparation of the campaign I'm soon going to GM I need some artwork of various humanoids of amphibian, reptilian and dinosaur variety.

I've been googling a lot and already taken everythng it gave me for lizardfolk, troglodytes, kobolds, grippli, bullywugs, saurials and kuo-toa (I know those are actually fish-people, but some illustrations pass for frogs)

But I can always use more, so I wanted to ask about races for which I might find pictures on the internet that match any of these descriptions:
-humanoid lizards of any kind
-humanoid salamanders/newts
-humanoid axolotls
-humanoid ceratopsid dinosaurs
-humanoid theropod dinosaurs
-humanoid pterosaurs

If you know any races from pretty much anywhere that i can use for google search or even have pictures of something matching yoruself, I would be most thankful :smallsmile:

dsmiles
2011-05-04, 09:34 AM
Saurials. Specifically: Finhead Paladins. Or google images of: Azure Bonds, you should get a few Caldwell pieces on that.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't read the full post. Try Dragonborn.

hamishspence
2011-05-04, 09:43 AM
Monsters of Faerun, and Serpent Kingdoms- have a few- the WoTC site still has art gallery archives.

"Firenewts", "Pterafolk" and others.

Also- Fiend Folio has Ophidians (look like humanoid lizards (of the more snaky kind.)

Fhaolan
2011-05-04, 12:26 PM
You should probably extend your search outside of D&D if you want more.

For example, the T'skrang of Earthdawn

If you feel like taking a risk, google 'Scalies'. That's the term for the reptilian equivalent of the mammilian Furry. It is a risk however, as all the same issues that are associated with Furries exist with Scalies.

Threeshades
2011-05-04, 12:35 PM
You should probably extend your search outside of D&D if you want more.

For example, the T'skrang of Earthdawn

If you feel like taking a risk, google 'Scalies'. That's the term for the reptilian equivalent of the mammilian Furry. It is a risk however, as all the same issues that are associated with Furries exist with Scalies.

Well yes, I meant outside of DnD too.

Thanks for the ones so far, very useful.

Seb Wiers
2011-05-04, 03:47 PM
Argonians (from The Elder Scrolls) - lots of info about them on Morrowind / Oblivion wikis. Pretty much generic swampy lizarfolk, with (iirc) a focus on sneaky / theify ability, plus some chunky poison / disease resistance. The game hasn't developed them as much as other races, but what is there is very tantalizing.
I actually play one in a TTRPG campaign, using a heavy house-ruled version of Hârnmaster, but he's atypical because he's got acromegaly and was raised by imperials (humans).

Nexus Wars also had a tyranosaur-like race, who ran a whole section of the infinite city, but I'm not sure how much detail there was. Old system, may be hard to find ANY info related to it.

Threeshades
2011-05-11, 03:34 PM
Thanks so far, this is what i have tried now (a comprehensive list):
-lizardfolk
-troglodytes
-kobolds
-grippli
-bullywugs
-saurials
-kuo-toa
-lizardmen (including the Warhammer variants: skinks, saurus, kroxigor, slann)
-argonians
-dragonborn
-T'skrang
-Ssurran
-firenewts
-pterafolk
-ophidians

More are welcome though :smallsmile:

Knaight
2011-05-11, 05:10 PM
There is a free TBS game by the name of Battle for Wesnoth. Every unit in it has a picture, as do special commanders and such in scenarios. One of the 6 factions is called Drakes, with two types of units.
Drakes: Somewhere around 18 varieties of these, essentially winged dragonborn.
Saurians: Smaller, agile lizards.

Sample Pictures (A bit out of date, the current version has much better art).

http://exong.net/wesnoth-attach/files/saurian_skirmisher_zach_105.png
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk/image/burner.png
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/Timbalistea/drake-fighter.png
http://forums.wesnoth.org/download/file.php?id=10453

There are also Naga, in this case serpent people. They might also fit. There should be a bunch of pictures available online, if you need more you can always download the game, take screenshots of the unit description pages, and swipe the pictures.