PDA

View Full Version : Roll a D6

pinballchico
2011-05-04, 11:02 AM
Ok...I've played a bit of 2.0 and have been playing 3.5 for a while. I came across this last night. I'm not a fan of the music/style. As far as I can tell every time they say roll a D6 its something I'd roll a D20 for. Is it incorrect...or did D6's play a much larger role in the old school games? Here's the link...just for fun.....
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150571021865696&oid=128296190580352&comments

Did the D6 have a much larger role?

Premier
2011-05-04, 03:39 PM
Dude, you're overthinking it. :) It's a parody of a song called "Like a G6", so they had to fit the rhyme scheme.

But to answer your question from a strictly RPG viewpoint, all weapons did d6 damage in early versions of D&D up to the Mentzer version of Basic. And all Hit Dice were d6 in OD&D. It was also assumed, even in the days of 2E, that your character abilities WILL be rolled (using d6-es); none of this point buy and elite array malarkey. So yeah, it had a larger role.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-04, 03:56 PM
The D6 also featured prominently in all of West End Games' products. Interestingly, it's also become a pretty big staple in recent, smaller games, like Burning Wheel, Fiasco, Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire...

Kaervaslol
2011-05-04, 04:38 PM
That's the worse thing I've ever seen on the internet.

Legend
2011-05-04, 10:33 PM
That's the worse thing I've ever seen on the internet.
Welcome to the internet. You should probably leave now before you see any of the billion worse things out there.

Sillycomic
2011-05-06, 01:04 PM
Well the lyrics in the song says, "The gm says you're gonna die, roll a d6."

Even if you think to yourself, "Umm, I think that's a will save. I should roll a d20 for it..." You don't argue with the GM.

If he tells you to roll a D6, you roll a D6.

lasttigereyes
2011-05-06, 03:24 PM
They have not changed the game so much as you think: they still roll d20s most of the time these days.

The song is a spoof of "Like a G6". They chose the lyric "Roll a d6" because it rhymes...also many of the people who will get the reference to the original song won't know the difference between a d20 and a d12.

On another note, most people won't notice that the dragon token the DM puts down is of a white dragon (cold breath weapon), not a fire breath weapon the 'in game' adventurers see.

I guess my point is the video was made for fun, not to be superaccurate. I thought it was awesome. :smallsmile:

Elvencloud
2011-05-11, 01:51 AM
Well, in second ed, a d6 would be rolled for surprise... and d6 is an iconic die for dnd. Fireballs, flight arrows, sneak attack, lightning bolts, etc.

Knaight
2011-05-11, 08:15 PM
Well, in second ed, a d6 would be rolled for surprise... and d6 is an iconic die for dnd. Fireballs, flight arrows, sneak attack, lightning bolts, etc.

The d6 is pretty much the iconic die period. Its by far the most common in everything that isn't an RPG, and while D&D can sort of claim it as an iconic die, other systems that don't use the rest of them have a better claim.

UserClone
2011-05-12, 12:28 PM
On another note, most people won't notice that the dragon token the DM puts down is of a white dragon (cold breath weapon), not a fire breath weapon the 'in game' adventurers see.

Um...so you can afford to have one of every miniature, for accuracy's sake? No, most of the time, I just use tokens that say "monster 1,2,3," etc...just sayin'.

Sillycomic
2011-05-12, 12:32 PM
Or you could always...

Use a d6!

ha ha ha.

UserClone
2011-05-12, 12:44 PM
Yep, we do that, too.

pres_man
2011-05-14, 09:48 AM
Well the lyrics in the song says, "The gm says you're gonna die, roll a d6."

Even if you think to yourself, "Umm, I think that's a will save. I should roll a d20 for it..." You don't argue with the GM.

If he tells you to roll a D6, you roll a D6.

Or maybe it is that the DM is telling to start creating a new character.

erikun
2011-05-16, 10:09 PM
d6 gets used primarily in plenty of games. GURPS, Shadowrun, and Tri-Stat are the big ones that come to mind. Older D&D also had a number of dice rolls that could lead to death, as well. If you remember the AD&D "Elves notice a secret door on a roll of 1, 2, or 3 on a d6" rule, then it wouldn't surprise you that similar rolls were occasionally thrown around. (A lot of tunnels collapsing or being set on fire used the d6, when it wasn't a Dexterity check or a save.)

That said, the line is used for rhyming in the song. Given that they're clearly playing D&D 4.0, they'd know that using a d20 would be far more common, especially with checks vs. death.

Stephen (Alto)
2011-05-22, 03:54 PM
Or you could always...

Use a d6!

ha ha ha.

Yep, we do that, too.

I have had to resort to that many a time.

It's not a bad video. I always like seeing a 'geek' video or hearing a song that is well done.

I still prefer the Dead Ale Wives

TheDarkOne
2011-05-23, 12:54 AM
Obviously, they're playing 4th ed, and the DM is making the players roll the monster ability recharge rolls for him. The PCs are in a precarious situation and if the monster gets his big guns back, they're going to die.

onthetown
2011-05-25, 08:44 PM
You're character's gonna die? Roll a D6. Not for a saving throw; to get a head start on your new character.

Narren
2011-05-27, 02:50 AM
I have had to resort to that many a time.

It's not a bad video. I always like seeing a 'geek' video or hearing a song that is well done.

I still prefer the Dead Ale Wives

A little less auto-tune would have gone a long way, though.

UserClone
2011-05-27, 07:11 AM
Again, it was a parody of a song rife with auto-tune. It would be like Weird Al trying to parody Coolio with "less rapping".