PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Intelligence and skillpoints

Ancalagon
2011-05-04, 12:04 PM
I pondered the connection of Int and skillpoints a bit as the entire matter seems to be somewhat shaky.

You get +1 skillpoint per level per 2 points of Int, so far so good. But the question is: Do you also get it for an enhancement bonus (like from items)? If yes, do the points vanish and re-appear when you remove and re-wear the item?
It should not work this way as this seems pretty abusable - but con for example works like that.

So if only inherent boni (from a Tome for example) gives real skillpoints - but in this case we'd face two "classes" of Int: a real increase (from a Tome or levelup) and "fake" increases, for example enhancement-boni from spells or items.
What seems odd is that no other ability works like this, all other increases on stats are handled the same, no matter the source of the stat-increase. It's clear why it works as it does, othervise, you could wear your +6 Int-Item during levelup and gain 3 more skillpoints.

Is there some official text on this matter somewhere, the rulebooks keep silent about this - which I find somewhat bad.

Keld Denar
2011-05-04, 01:26 PM
Only permanent changes to Int affect skill points, and the change isn't retroactive (unlike Con with HP). Inherant bonuses, racial/template bonuses, and the points you get every 4 levels affect your skill points. Your headband doesn't. It is in the rules somewhere, I just don't remember where.

I did find this in the section on Ability Scores:

When an ability score changes, all attributes associated with that score change accordingly. A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence.